• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

zoukka

So I finally caved in. 20€ from steam and the free passing DLC sealed the deal.

Can't wait! The download is slow as ass, but tomorrow I'm pimping!

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Nabs said:
Yeah, don't be afraid to mess up, that's half the fun.

Yeah, how tough would it be to roll 'em out, but keep em there for us to play with? It's going to be a sad day when Realism VS disappears. I'm glad they started w/ a good one, hopefully the community will come through and convince them to keep it for good.

My guess is that they keep one mutation for just one week, and after all mutations have had their time in the limelight, they'll make all of them available.

Im_Special

I asked this in the Steam thread but here is probably a better place to ask. So I just picked up Left4Dead2, and was wondering if there is any reason to keep Left4Dead the first game around anymore? Does 2 just improve everything over 1, will I even want to play 1 anymore after having a taste of L4D2.

vertopci

Twig said:
Yeah, I agree.

And for that matter, I don't know why the game modes aren't more customizable in the first place. Think Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Just add a ton of options, and let people decide how they want to play while they're still in the lobby.

Of course that might fuck with server mods, but if it's done right it should negate the need for server mods in the first place.

But hey that's just my opinion. X:

Not opinion, it's the truth!

We agree on something for once!

Im_Special said:
I asked this in the Steam thread but here is probably a better place to ask. So I just picked up Left4Dead2, and was wondering if there is any reason to keep Left4Dead the first game around anymore? Does 2 just improve everything over 1, will I even want to play 1 anymore after having a taste of L4D2.

L4D1 > L4D2.

zoukka

Im_Special said:

l4d has a shit-ton of custom maps.

vertopci said:
Not opinion, it's the truth!

We agree on something for once!

Let us not forget little mods that simply make the online play objectively better, such as the pause function, the ready up mod...

and the SI chooser!

vertopci

BuddhaRockstar said:
Let us not forget little mods that simply make the online play objectively better, such as the pause function, the ready up mod...

and the SI chooser!

Pause can be made part of ready up, and then ready up would be all we need!

I hate the SI chooser. But everyone else likes it :/

vertopci said:
I hate the SI chooser. But everyone else likes it :/

Anything that lets me not be a hunter is a win in my book.

2 days: 7 attempts: 0 victories in advanced Passing 3. Keep getting schooled. It's good fun, though.

Is that with realism mode? I've played through a few times with bots and thought advanced was really easy :p there are way too many medkits throughout the campaign, and for the third stage tanks are a cinch cause you can just bring them near the generator and the original cast will light them up and take them down in seconds.

BuddhaRockstar said:
Is that with realism mode? I've played through a few times with bots and thought advanced was really easy :p there are way too many medkits throughout the campaign, and for the third stage tanks are a cinch cause you can just bring them near the generator and the original cast will light them up and take them down in seconds.

No, just advanced (d'oh). It's been difficult to get people to listen about the tanks, but I'm sure it'll work itself out.

andycapps

Tempy said:
My guess is that they keep one mutation for just one week, and after all mutations have had their time in the limelight, they'll make all of them available.

Or make the ones available that receive the most plays in a week.

andycapps said:
Or make the ones available that receive the most plays in a week.

Yeah, or I can see that poll they added to the game as a means of seeing what is everyone's favorite and making that a regular mode and weeding out the ones that aren't as much fun. Or possibly even tweaking them to make them better.

denomes

Hawk xSx said:
Anyone recommend L4D2? I had the first one, played it with friends. They moved on, I stopped...

IMO, it's a significant improvement over the first game. Don't get me wrong, I love L4D, but L4D2 is much more refined.

zoukka said:
Hey what're these mutations?

Special mode of the week. Gimmick modes that normally would spread out players too thin to reliably find pub games if they were all offered at once, but instead offer a sort of roulette of fresh gameplay. So one week you're playing Versus mode with Realism settings, another week you're playing as survivors armed only with swords, another week you're constantly bleeding out and have to find health, I assume the AI director will put more health items than usual around, etc. It's a way of keeping the game fresh.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Dammit, got to 8/10 tanks of fuel then a tank crushed me with a car and I died. :| Didn't really feel like continuing after that.

Mudkips

Banned
NameGenerated said:
Dammit, got to 8/10 tanks of fuel then a tank crushed me with a car and I died. :| Didn't really feel like continuing after that.

10?
You need like, a lot more than that don't you?

Minamu

How do I record my Passing playthrough again? I scanned the last 20ish pages but I didn't look far enough back I guess. Bots or actual people?

It was 10 for me in Single Player on Normal, but like it's been said, the bots won't carry any gas tanks, so you have to ferry every single one of them yourself.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yeah, it's 10 solo.

Realism Versus is pretty crazy, almost made it to the end of the passing 2, but ultimately got downed in the final stretch of the sewer. That map is brutal.

j-wood

Is there a way to not make searching for servers suck?

When I try to play a game with my friends, I create a lobby, tell it to do best avaiable dedicated server, and then half the time, I end up hosting the game on my machine, and everyone has a ping of 500 or more.

WTH valve.

Sibylus

Banned
Volcynika said:
Maybe if your ping didn't suck last night you would've played it!
Yeah, my net has been driving me nuts lately for some reason. Fiddling with me router seems to have helped later yesterday when I played Passing on coop again, didn't top 200 ping playing with two people from Australia and Hawaii (and RS, who's in the Midwest somewhere).

Papercuts

Try to get a full game for realism versus, bots ruin the fun a lot since they don't abide by not being able to see outlines.

Sibylus

Banned
Lol, found a funny thread on the Steampowered forums. Apparently the creator of the "Cold Case" addon is bitching about how the sewer sections of The Passing are too low-detail. To demonstrate his issue, he played the map in fullbright and took screenshots.

- It's a fucking sewer, at night, in the dark.
- The low-brightness lights are a large part of what makes the space visually interesting (fullbright lights all surfaces totally evenly).
- It's a linear gauntlet.
- Simplicity of design is compatible with all of the above.

I, just... wow. Too much blistering stupid.

derFeef

Botolf said:
Lol, found a funny thread on the Steampowered forums. Apparently the creator of the "Cold Case" addon is bitching about how the sewer sections of The Passing are too low-detail. To demonstrate his issue, he played the map in fullbright and took screenshots.

- The low-brightness lights are a large part of what makes the space visually interesting (fullbright lights all surfaces totally evenly).

Typical "I can do that in one day!" Steamforum reaction. Awesome.

Botolf said:

Yeah, I saw that earlier, there's not enough SMH gifs that can describe that thread. You can barely see 10 feet ahead in the sewer, why would they make areas you can't even see detailed? L4D has always had areas like that, the sewer in Parish, No Mercy, etc. Funny he didn't analyze any areas that were fucking photo-replicas of Georgia.

bee

my game now crashes to desktop every single time on 100% map load, was fine before this update, is there a fix?

edit: so i goto verify integrity of game cache and it comes up with 1 file needs to be re-downloaded, so it downloads it then still crashes :s then i run the verification again and it says the same thing, man i fucking hate steam/source

Twig

Banned
Wasn't Cold Case that custom campaign that had like an hour-long intro overflowing with pretentious bullshit?

Anyway, we (that is to say Volcano Man (until he left at which point a friend Cutters joined), notsol337, and Tyler-whose-GAF-name-I-forgot) tried The Passing expert earlier and failed miserably. Mostly because we couldn't find a dedicated server and so I was the only one without an awful ping.

We couldn't make it past the first map. I can't speak for the rest but I must be really out of practice. ):

I did have fun killing this tank, though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnxXeP4tLdA

Botolf said:

This is why I find the Steam forums to be one of the worst on the web. No, seriously. Its full of dimwits who apparently think complaining is a respectable profession. If I were to base my view of humanity on many members of that forum, I would pray for an asteroid to strike this planet with full force.

Sibylus

Banned
LovingSteam said:
This is why I find the Steam forums to be one of the worst on the web. No, seriously. Its full of dimwits who apparently think complaining is a respectable profession. If I were to base my view of humanity on many members of that forum, I would pray for an asteroid to strike this planet with full force.
What makes this infinitely worse is that the guy doing the bitching in that thread actually knows what he's doing, he's also the creator of Freezer Burn. It's funny, that campaign kind of serves to explain to me why he'd complain about it. The dude seems like an uncontrolled "ooh shiny!" zealot. He spammed particles and other effects like mad in the latter parts of FB, and apparently without optimizing them very well.

Red Scarlet

RustyNails said:
Red Scarlet, as promised here's the demo file of my first Passing playthrough (advanced)

http://rapidshare.com/files/379339709/4_23_passing_RustyNails.rar.html

Thanks!

Oh man, that cold case guy. He's pretty famous around the steam forums..

Supposedly he made lots of ads and posters and stuff for the Cold Case campaign, then he tried? to host a release party for people to pay to get in and win t-shirts and stuff.

All I remember from the map is that it was like a gb to download, had some crappy intro at the start, and wouldn't even load after the first map. Such a mess/waste of time/hd space.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Eh I still think The Passing was kinda lame. I've played customs that were more fun and interesting that were one man deals. I think mutations are the real cool addition to the game, though the weekly cycling mechanic is a big WTF.

That guy's FB campaign also overrides your tank skin so you have too disable it everytime if you want your tanks to look normal. Almost as annoying as Welcome to Hell which gives you new tank and map complete music across every campaign. Course FB is way better than WtH, since it lacks shitty shit gauntlet/tank/witch combos and trying to recreate the Sugar Mill without the explanation of sugar as to why there are five million witches. As much as I like the new stuff L4D2 added, it seems mappers are using them with no rhymne or reason in these maps. Especially multiple witches, gauntlets and storms. lol rant

Blizzard

Banned
HK-47 said:
Eh I still think The Passing was kinda lame. I've played customs that were more fun and interesting that were one man deals. I think mutations are the real cool addition to the game, though the weekly cycling mechanic is a big WTF.

That guy's FB campaign also overrides your tank skin so you have too disable it everytime if you want your tanks to look normal. Almost as annoying as Welcome to Hell which gives you new tank and map complete music across every campaign. Course FB is way better than WtH, since it lacks shitty shit gauntlet/tank/witch combos and trying to recreate the Sugar Mill without the explanation of sugar as to why there are five million witches. As much as I like the new stuff L4D2 added, it seems mappers are using them with no rhymne or reason in these maps. Especially multiple witches, gauntlets and storms. lol rant
So both you and vert say L4D2 isn't worth it. :( With all the complaining in this thread I'm still trying to convince myself to get it. :(

Also what's FB so that we may avoid it messing with our tank skins?

I, too, agree that limiting custom game modes to a single week is silly. Hopefully people just make custom server options to allow those modes, like people presumably did to allow TF2 harvest event-mode to be played after the fact.

Papercuts

I think the passing is fine, the only part I expected more from was the L4D1 interaction. When it was revealed they were meeting up a lot of people speculated being able to play them, and even after it was confirmed you wouldn't I still thought they'd actually be running around as bots with you, not just helping out a little in the finale.

Volcynika

Blizzard said:
So both you and vert say L4D2 isn't worth it. :( With all the complaining in this thread I'm still trying to convince myself to get it. :(

Also what's FB so that we may avoid it messing with our tank skins?

I, too, agree that limiting custom game modes to a single week is silly. Hopefully people just make custom server options to allow those modes, like people presumably did to allow TF2 harvest event-mode to be played after the fact.

I think you're just acting completely silly now. Tons of people say L4D2 is great but you only seem to notice the few negative people (even those that talk about strictly the DLC, which doesn't include the whole game).

Top Bottom