• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

Blizzard

Banned
Silly question time.

2s0nwxt.jpg

Is there any way to turn these blood splatters down/off? They seem silly to me coming up constantly. :( Side note, the leaning thing when meleeing almost felt like it could give me motion sickness.

jk7k07.jpg

I think most of these shots were with max settings besides effects, 2-4xAA. F5 apparently uses really lossy compression in screenshots, but still. Is this normal for the game? I feel like it is blurry and my eyes feel weird, and apparently that is mostly just the rain effect, but it would be awesome if there were a postprocessing filter or something that could be disabled. Film grain is almost totally off on my game too.

http://i39.tinypic.com/23kvpt0.jpg
On a positive note, I think this is one of the nicest mud puddles I have seen in a game. It is nice!

Blizzard

Banned
Speaking of witches, are they tamer in L4D2? People kept telling me how part of the passing was going to be awesome (I had already heard that there would be a
bride witch
). There was a witch and people warned Coach to be careful but he was not afraid of witch, so he ran up and used a shotgun on the back of her head. I don't think it was a crown since she kind of yelled a lot so it took like three shots total to kill her, but she did not seem to hurt anyone.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Blizzard said:
Silly question time.

http://i40.tinypic.com/2s0nwxt.jpg[IMG]
Is there any way to turn these blood splatters down/off? They seem silly to me coming up constantly. :( Side note, the leaning thing when meleeing almost felt like it could give me motion sickness.[/QUOTE]

I don't think you can change it, but the only reason you see them so often is from melee weapons.

Twig

Banned
Blizzard said:
Speaking of witches, are they tamer in L4D2? People kept telling me how part of the passing was going to be awesome (I had already heard that there would be a
bride witch
). There was a witch and people warned Coach to be careful but he was not afraid of witch, so he ran up and used a shotgun on the back of her head. I don't think it was a crown since she kind of yelled a lot so it took like three shots total to kill her, but she did not seem to hurt anyone.
Witches were just as easy to kill in L4D1.

(Provided you're not a tard, like me, who can't even aim at something directly in front of him.)

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
lol Vol managed to get Til It Goes Click on a bile jar thrown in the exact same spot as the one Scarlet missed by like 2. I guess I'm just bad luck. Add that to my wandering and fire box infractions.

Red Scarlet

Diebuster

Blizzard said:
bride witch

They seem the same to me. Except for the
bride witch. On multiple occasions, I've seen her kill two people, something I've never seen any other witch do.

Blizzard

Banned
Diebuster said:
bride witch. On multiple occasions, I've seen her kill two people, something I've never seen any other witch do.
Huh, interesting. Maybe I'm just getting the witch confused with the expert witch, which instagibs if you don't crown it if I'm not mistaken. I didn't think advanced witches would give you enough time to do 2-3 shots.

I do like the M60 weapon. It is too bad you can't reload it, but it is neat. I suppose reloading would be unrealistic and/or overpowered.

As for being realistic though, even with everything else being as videogame-ish as it is, it seems so silly to me that you can only carry a katana until you fall down, at which point a magical temporary pistol is there that goes away once you feel better. :lol

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Blizzard said:
Huh, interesting. Maybe I'm just getting the witch confused with the expert witch, which instagibs if you don't crown it if I'm not mistaken. I didn't think advanced witches would give you enough time to do 2-3 shots.

I do like the M60 weapon. It is too bad you can't reload it, but it is neat. I suppose reloading would be unrealistic and/or overpowered.

As for being realistic though, even with everything else being as videogame-ish as it is, it seems so silly to me that you can only carry a katana until you fall down, at which point a magical temporary pistol is there that goes away once you feel better. :lol

Expert witches and Realism witches both instakill if I'm not mistaken.

Red Scarlet

You can fail a cr0wn on any difficulty level and still kill her before she kills you. Just shoot a couple times after the first one. Of course it doesn't always work, but no witch in the game takes 1 shot then instanly kills you before you get another one off (if we are talking about auto-shotties anyway).

RustyNails said:
Yes I'm khaaan but fuck me in the arse sideways. The demo didn't record! :(

khaaan.jpg

RustyNails said:
I'll make it up to you though!

Oh ok, cool.

Finally played the game today with one of my friends, and left the game public so others can join. Had some fun, but definitely a notch higher in difficulty than the first one. Need to get used to it, because even on normal I was getting my ass handed.

Right when I started playing with my friend we both noticed a Jockey coming our way and then left to another location. It came around to the left of me, got on top of me (ride it baby), and knocked me out of the building. It was hilarious, me and my friend were laughing for like 10 minutes. Good times!

Uncle AJ

Diebuster said:

Wtiches will kill someone other than her main target if...

- you light her on fire
- you are blocking her path in a narrow corridor

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Mo the Hawk said:
Wtiches will kill someone other than her main target if...

- you light her on fire
- you are blocking her path in a narrow corridor

Or the AI goes wonky. Sometimes she'll flip and run away or attack the closest person.

Apath

So what's easier, Campaign or VS? My friend and I have been doing versus mode exclusively and I kind of want to actually beat the game once, and it would be good to know where I stand in terms of difficulty :D

GC|Simon

I saw that Left 4 Dead 2 is on sale right now. Unfortunately I live in Germany and get online the cut version. Is it possible that somebody "donates" me the uncut?

Red Scarlet

According to syllogism, you can play a couple of the future mutations via some source/meta mod thing. Bleed out, Guarding the Gnome, and Vs Survival. Maybe he'll chime in with the infos.

derFeef

GC|Simon said:
I saw that Left 4 Dead 2 is on sale right now. Unfortunately I live in Germany and get online the cut version. Is it possible that somebody "donates" me the uncut?
Does this really work? I thought the location determines the censorship? So I am living in Austria and if I buy the game as a gift and give it to you, you get the uncut version?

syllogism

Red Scarlet said:
According to syllogism, you can play a couple of the future mutations via some source/meta mod thing. Bleed out, Guarding the Gnome, and Vs Survival. Maybe he'll chime in with the infos.
Not sure if they work exactly as intended, but enabling them is easy enough; mp_gamemode Mutation9 for example is guard the gnome. Just restart the map afterwards if you do it ingame.

Mutation3 is bleed out

e: they do seem to work fine; with guard the gnome enabled the map won't switch unless the gnome is in the safe room. The regular infected appear to target the one carrying the gnome.

e2; versussurvival is supposedly versus survival, but couldn't test it offline

e3: I think the rest don't work anymore because valve patched them out

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
derFeef said:
Does this really work? I thought the location determines the censorship? So I am living in Austria and if I buy the game as a gift and give it to you, you get the uncut version?

Yeah in the steam thread there were a couple Aussies looking to get the uncensored version of the game.

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
derFeef said:
Yes that is how it works.

EDIT: Just a disclaimer, it did when I got l4d2 gifted to me on release from the UK as I am in Australia. I got the uncensored version that way. I don't know if they have made any changes to the system since then.

Kenak said:
So what's easier, Campaign or VS? My friend and I have been doing versus mode exclusively and I kind of want to actually beat the game once, and it would be good to know where I stand in terms of difficulty :D
If you've played VS enough, you'll breeze through Normal and won't have too much trouble with Advanced. Expert is a whole different ball game though. Until you learn its nuances, you'll find that games will take 2-3 hours.

Minamu

Playing with Scarlet seems like serious business :lol I wouldn't mind some gaffers on my list but the lag would probably be unbearable :(

I should probably leave the boycott group now :D

Blackheim

Edgeward said:
My friend add button seems broken on the new beta skin

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Edgeward

Add me. =)

Added :D

Red Scarlet said:
ot talking about vs. I can be a tyrant in campaign.

Gotcha, I don't mind as long as it's fun :D

jersoc said:
i am a l4d noob too. together we can noob it up. my id is jersoc on steam.

Added :D

I'm at work all day today so I probably won't get the chance to play any. I may install the game on my laptop so that I can do a little zombie hunting throughout the day, shhh.

I played a little with One of Many and Ezekial45 last night, had a good time even i it was brief :) Thanks again guys.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Red Scarlet said:
Awesome-o.

I think one of my 2 player games ended with the witch getting us both. Was pretty funny.

After playing some scavenge on The Port, man, that map seems pretty interesting competition-wise. They're soooo spread out.

The Riverbank seems way more spread out. Some of the cans are just tiny specks in the distance. I've never even seen where they are.

Volcynika

TheFreshPrince said:
I never saw the dead Survivor. No cutscene, or anything. What am I missing? Where should that scene be?

It's not a scene. You see the dead survivor in the finale. If you want to know where
they're in the room to the right of the medpacks after you ride the elevator down.

Turfster

Is it just me, or did Valve change the survivor-bots to automatically and almost instantly open the safe room door with one of the recent updates? It gets really annoying when we're waiting on people with slow computers to load and their bot just goes and opens the door and lets all the evil zombies in. -_-

On a happier note, realism versus is awesomely addictive and even makes the older campaigns fresh again.
I really hope it makes the cut.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Guys, I don't understand this. I could have sworn that Valve said they were doing cutscenes for The Passing because they decided to switch from telling the story through the environment as they have always done, to telling stories Square Enix style. In fact I will never buy a Valve game again unless they get Square to do
Bill's
death in a cutscene that pays homage to Aeris' death scene. Valve really needs to get with the times and start taking control away from the character more.

vertopci

Stallion Free said:
Guys, I don't understand this. I could have sworn that Valve said they were doing cutscenes for The Passing because they decided to switch from telling the story through the environment as they have always done, to telling stories Square Enix style. In fact I will never buy a Valve game again unless they get Square to do
Bill's
death in a cutscene that pays homage to Aeris' death scene. Valve really needs to get with the times and start taking control away from the character more.

Valve said next update there will be cutscenes! I can't wait to cry like a fucking pussy ass bitch at Bill's death!

Branduil

I have a hard time getting emotional about a character I've seen die dozens of times, often in hilarious ways. Heck, I've killed that character myself.

vertopci

Branduil said:
I have a hard time getting emotional about a character I've seen die dozens of times, often in hilarious ways. Heck, I've killed that character myself.

What kind of sick twisted demented monster are you?!?!

I guess they pretty much finalized
Bill's
death. After playing with just about everyone on my FL, we all came out with the same outcome. So I guess that L4D comic isn't needed after all. Makes me even wonder why the delayed The Passing for nearly an entire month.

Twig

Banned
I doubt they intend it to be "emotional" anyway. None of the other three seemed at all upset about it, soooo.

Maybe with the L4D1 DLC, it'll be more involved (obviously) but even then.

derFeef

Stallion Free said:
Bill's
Yeah, it is really ruthless. Slap that body somwhere and put lots of blood beneath it. I wonder if this were their intention - to make us angry.

vertopci

derFeef said:
Yeah, it is really ruthless. Slap that body somwhere and put lots of blood beneath it. I wonder if this were their intention - to make us angry.

I'm pretty angry about there being no dramatic cutscene showing Bill dying. Clearly I was right earlier when I said this game is total shit and not worth even a dollar.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
vertopci said:
I'm pretty angry about there being no dramatic cutscene showing Bill dying. Clearly I was right earlier when I said this game is total shit and not worth even a dollar.

It's like Valve hates it's fans.

Firestorm

Stallion Free said:
Bill's
Well personally I expected to see the death happen or something. Or at least see the other survivors more and go through a level with them. Their impact seemed very low. If Valve hadn't hyped that aspect of it up, the level of engagement you have with them in The Passing would have been adequate. As it stands though, it was pretty underwhelming.

Firestorm said:
Well personally I expected to see the death happen or something. Or at least see the other survivors more and go through a level with them. Their impact seemed very low. If Valve hadn't hyped that aspect of it up, the level of engagement you have with them in The Passing would have been adequate. As it stands though, it was pretty underwhelming.

Yep. I definitely wasn't expecting any cutscenes. Just more significant stuff in the way they did it in the Passing.

Personally I was expecting something along the lines of what the survivors do in the last level,
covering you and stuff
but I was also expecting that there'd be a situation where there were, say, too many of them or too many tanks or something like that. In this case,
Bill
would sacrifice
him
self in order to make it so everyone else could escape.

Maybe sets the artillery to blow up a bunch of cars or something that are in your way, or you could have it so the character is on a big turret alone, just tearing into endlessly spawning hordes, making
him
self a giant target as well as clearing the way for the rest of you make your getaway.

Another L4D noob here who just got in on the Steam sale, downloading now woo! Steam ID is number1jagsfan if anyone feels like adding me, I will clearly be pretty shite tho!

timetokill said:
Yep. I definitely wasn't expecting any cutscenes. Just more significant stuff in the way they did it in the Passing.

Personally I was expecting something along the lines of what the survivors do in the last level,
covering you and stuff
but I was also expecting that there'd be a situation where there were, say, too many of them or too many tanks or something like that. In this case,
Bill
would sacrifice
him
self in order to make it so everyone else could escape.

Maybe sets the artillery to blow up a bunch of cars or something that are in your way, or you could have it so the character is on a big turret alone, just tearing into endlessly spawning hordes, making
him
self a giant target as well as clearing the way for the rest of you make your getaway.

The thing is without his voice actor all you can really do is stuff his corpse in a corner somewhere and pretend that it isn't a big deal.

Top Bottom