• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

Botolf said:
All the survivors are carriers. It's the reason why their helicopter pilots keep dying.
Nah, in the finale of the No Mercy campaign, just before the first tank, the pilot says he'll be a little longer because he just "had an, uh, incident." It alludes to him getting bitten.

Sibylus

Banned
Verboten said:
Nah, in the finale of the No Mercy campaign, just before the first tank, the pilot says he'll be a little longer because he just "had an, uh, incident." It alludes to him getting bitten.
Well, if that didn't do him in, contact with the original 4 certainly did. They're carrying the virus!

andycapps

Stallion Free said:
Which is sad because one map is essentially finished. I wish they had released them simultaneously.

Me too, and I'm hoping for it sometime in the next few weeks, but I also know that with Valve's track record I should probably multiply by 4 or 5 on the number of weeks until release.

Minamu

If they are immune, what happened to
Bill
anyway? I guess virus immunity won't help you when you get mauled by a Tank or something & die from broken bones / blood loss but still :lol I sorta just figured automatically that he committed suicide or something because he got infected.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Minamu said:
Bill
anyway? I guess virus immunity won't help you when you get mauled by a Tank or something & die from broken bones / blood loss but still :lol I sorta just figured automatically that he committed suicide or something because he got infected.

He sacrificed himself so that the other three could escape. One person isn't going to last long against a horde/SI.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Minamu said:
Bill

Obviously the lack of chestpaddles caused this.

I played through the campaign last night with a friend. Both of us were deeply disappointed by the campaign. It was good but it felt like a usermap not anything official from Valve. Some cool ideas that were poorly implemented, like the wedding scene. It could have been so much more. And the whole second level just felt like filler and should have been shortened.

We also came up with some nice names for the 3rd installment:

Left 4 Dead: 3D
3 Left Alive

... and so on. :)

derFeef

^^ Am I in the Steam forums? Just kidding.

Besides being short I had no single problem with the campaigns design. The location is cool and full of details (tattoo shop is great). I also like that it is more open than what we have already.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
=O

The Passing sounds great. I can't wait to play it (next weekend :'( )

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Stallion Free said:
You sound like a movie exec in a post-Avatar world. Jesus.

Well, we weren't exactly serious, but we imagined "Left 4 Dead: 3D" to guest star Duke Nukem as the 4th survivor (and uncovering that aliens were behind the infection) and that the forth installment would be titled "Left 4 Dead 4ever".

Coverly

noob question but how do you take screenshots and where are they stored?

I was taking some print screens of the wedding witch and after the game I couldn't find where they were stored, if at all. I've never taken screenshots in L4D and googling it just gave me a lot of pages with a ton of ads but not what I was looking for.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Coverly said:

I was taking some print screens of the wedding witch and after the game I couldn't find where they were stored, if at all. I've never taken screenshots in L4D and googling it just gave me a lot of pages with a ton of ads but not what I was looking for.

http://fraps.com/

Shambles

Yeah it was pretty obvious for me as well. I started it a couple times and had Francis and then Zoey doing the intro bit so narrowing it down the Louis and Bill I knew they wouldn't kill off Louis as everyone would go 'lulz black man dies first' and as the old guy Bill's death seems more likely anyways.

The frankness of his death was pretty clumsy. I thought there would be some sort of emotional connection the other survivors would have had with him. Pretty well balanced campaign though, suck to be cornered by the two tanks at the edge of the map though :p

On the side, does anything unique happen if you bring paddles into the finale and try them on him?

xero273

Coverly said:

For L4D, this is the path where screenshots are stored.

Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\left4dead\hl2\screenshots\

Just go into your left 4 dead 2 folder and see if you can find something like that.

The game also allow you to take screenshots without the need for other programs. Screenshots made by the game are located in a screenshots folder in your left 4 dead folder (Steam > steam apps > common > left 4 dead(2) ). It's somewhere in the controls, probably near the chat section.

RoboManus

Neo Member
I find the infected in this game really funny, a game doesn't go by where I'm not laughing at them.

I love the Jockey sounds and animations, the first time I saw him, I laughed so much I couldn't play and had to leave the game. The boomer stumbling around as he gets shoved, hunters getting punted out of the air and chargers smashing themselves into walls never gets old, and finally the smokers loud coughing, his running animation, and the way he beats on a survivor he has pulled.

I'm sure Valve didn't intent for any of this to be funny, I'm just messed up.

Something that bothers me about the way he died.

He had bled out a wound, he had crawled a distance, and his gun was full of bullets.

It doesn't sound like he was killed by Infected to me, or else he would have been torn apart where he sat while shooting.

And Francis talks about how they've had enough of the military. I know Louis' quotes imply that it was a Tank, since killing a Tank will make him say "That's for Bill!" But I'm wondering if the military shot Bill because they thought they were carriers, and he stayed behind to let the others hide.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone else notice on 360 version that LS no longer works to comment on the situation in-game, or what you're looking at? My copy's been acting up a bit since I installed The Passing, but this happened to a friend of mine as well.

Am I going nuts?

Guevara

RustyNails said:
Methinks Louis is bitten by the zombies...he doesn't look good in L4D2.

A little late on this, but one of Louis' random chatter is something like "Ahhh! He bit me!". It happens quite a bit when I play (Xbox 360 version).

Shafto

Sunflower said:
Anyone else notice on 360 version that LS no longer works to comment on the situation in-game, or what you're looking at? My copy's been acting up a bit since I installed The Passing, but this happened to a friend of mine as well.

Am I going nuts?

I noticed this too - you're not alone. Made things a lot more difficult when playing with my friend who's got a dodgy headset.

kinoki said:
Well, we weren't exactly serious, but we imagined "Left 4 Dead: 3D" to guest star Duke Nukem as the 4th survivor (and uncovering that aliens were behind the infection) and that the forth installment would be titled "Left 4 Dead 4ever".
Lol... With the Midnight Riders cameo in The Passing, I'm kinda hoping the next 4 survivors are them. :p

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Botolf said:
All the survivors are carriers. It's the reason why their helicopter pilots keep dying.

OG survivors had a pilot that was infected before they even got to him. Also asymptomatics wouldnt effect immunes. They could be a mix.

Twig

Banned
Coverly said:

Screenshot button if F5 by default, I think.

Was playing versus last night on The Passing and accidentally came across a glitch. When the survivors were coming up the 1st flight of stairs on TPG-2, I charged them to the left and Nick was knocked over the other side of the gate. He was unable to get out and we left 'em there
(for dessert)
as the other three scurried off. :lol

I noticed this too - you're not alone. Made things a lot more difficult when playing with my friend who's got a dodgy headset.

Make that three, really hope they fix that with an update soon. It's throwing off some co-op with us as well.

All I've been doing is replaying the Passing :lol

I'm a little late, but I just played through The Passing. Can't say I'm that impressed. The campaign itself lacks any real distinguishing characteristics (apart from the segment in the sewers; that bit was OK), and it's a bit too short.

More importantly though; why the FUCK did they kill off
Bill? I was upset enough when I first heard somebody dies a few days ago, but now that I've played it, I'm even more upset, because there isn't even any reason for it, as it contributes NOTHING to the story. It's not like he becomes a special infected or anything, and the other three original survivors hardly even seem to give a shit. Hell, if we at least SAW him die, then it would have at least provided a bit of drama. But no, Valve just decided to kill off a great character (all of the original cast were great, so I'd still feel this way if it were any of the others) for no real reason at all. Bullshit.

Hell, if they HAD to kill off a survivor, then why couldn't they have made The Passing take place after the final campaign (The Parish), and kill off Rochelle instead? Nobody likes her anyway; some people even modded the PC version to replace her model with Zoey!

Minamu said:
What cameo? :S They're not a real band, are they?
Nah they're not a real band. There is a little cameo of their tour bus speeding down the street in Passing map 2, though.
Right after the pool hall, where you drop out the window into the construction area. Run all the way to the fence in the back and you'll see them drive by. They're alive!

...and there's 4 of them. I'm willing to take a bet that they'll be playable at some point (L4D3, the next DLC, etc.).

Branduil

Playing as the Midnight Riders wouldn't really fit. L4D is all about a group of strangers from different backgrounds coming together to kick zombie ass.

Twig

Banned
lol are you really so invested in the story of l4d that it upsets you that someone died

that's the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard

plus rochelle > zoey so i know you're a morans gtfo nub
Branduil said:
Playing as the Midnight Riders wouldn't really fit. L4D is all about a group of strangers from different backgrounds coming together to kick zombie ass.
It would totally fit. And be awesome.

Rubezh

Coverly said:

F5. I don't think print screen can be bound in source games.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Branduil said:

Meaning L4D2 should be about a group of guys with similar backgrounds who get together to rock people's faces and kick zombie ass.

Minamu

Revolutionary said:
Nah they're not a real band. There is a little cameo of their tour bus speeding down the street in Passing map 2, though.
Right after the pool hall, where you drop out the window into the construction area. Run all the way to the fence in the back and you'll see them drive by. They're alive!

...and there's 4 of them. I'm willing to take a bet that they'll be playable at some point (L4D3, the next DLC, etc.).
Oh yeah, I just noticed that bus just after posting. Didn't have time to see what bus it actually was. I'd pay good money for them as playable characters. Seems so obvious somehow :)

kinoki

Minamu said:
Oh yeah, I just noticed that bus just after posting. Didn't have time to see what bus it actually was. I'd pay good money for them as playable characters. Seems so obvious somehow :)

My guess is one of them taking Bill's place in the next chapter. :)

Revolutionary said:
I assumed this was a joke and just came across it after restarting countless times. Nice find.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
zombieshavebrains said:
Meaning L4D2 should be about a group of guys with similar backgrounds who get together to rock people's faces and kick zombie ass.

Nah. I prefer the mixture for a main game. An addon campaign with the Riders would be boss.

I was looking at some L4D GMod stuff on Youtube and I saw a really sad one with Bill, injured in a wheelchair, with three covered bodies behind him. It turned out the exact opposite way didnt it lol. I do wonder if a new survivor will be introduced into their group or if the upcoming DLC is the last we'll see of them.

Branduil said:

Midnight Riders will be playable, at the very least prominent in a campaign. There's no way they'd put that much work into the character designs, even so far as to give them all nicknames and a website.

lantus

Alright, I'm having some trouble, just bought and downloaded the game today, and the game keeps on crashing for me. It loads just fine to the menu, but whenever I try to do something it just stops and closes.The most I've been able to do is load Dead Center in single-player, but then shortly after it starts the pistols skin disappears then after going down the staircase it locks up and closes.

I'm at a complete lose here, as this is the first Steam game I've purchased, a solution or even just an answer to what might be the problem would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
lantus said:
Alright, I'm having some trouble, just bought and downloaded the game today, and the game keeps on crashing for me. It loads just fine to the menu, but whenever I try to do something it just stops and closes.The most I've been able to do is load Dead Center in single-player, but then shortly after it starts the pistols skin disappears then after going down the staircase it locks up and closes.

I'm at a complete lose here, as this is the first Steam game I've purchased, a solution or even just an answer to what might be the problem would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Did you verify the integrity of the files? Right click->Properties->Local Files->Verify Integrity of Game Cache. That can sometimes detect files that didn't download properly by looking at the checksums and automatically redownload the files that are corrupt/missing/broken.

If that doesn't work, wipe and redownload? Or try poking around the Steam support forums, they typically have tons of helpful advice.

lantus

Campster said:
Did you verify the integrity of the files? Right click->Properties->Local Files->Verify Integrity of Game Cache. That can sometimes detect files that didn't download properly by looking at the checksums and automatically redownload the files that are corrupt/missing/broken.

If that doesn't work, wipe and redownload? Or try poking around the Steam support forums, they typically have tons of helpful advice.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

Top Bottom