• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

MNC

I hate GAF dramas

mainly because I never understand them and you asswipes always play at some ungodly time for GMTs.

Mudkips

Banned
Verboten said:
Nah, in the finale of the No Mercy campaign, just before the first tank, the pilot says he'll be a little longer because he just "had an, uh, incident." It alludes to him getting bitten.

I'm pretty sure this line was added in one of the patches, and wasn't initially in the game.
Whether or not it's Valve's typical "release a game with missing assets" and it was planned ahead of time, I have know idea.

Yawn. Stop bickering like children... and my honest-to-goodness estimate is around 18. His "lolol you're gay" and "fuckin faggot" bullshit leads me to believe so.

MNC

Revolutionary said:
Yawn. Stop bickering like children... and my honest-to-goodness estimate is around 18. His "lolol you're gay" and "fuckin faggot" bullshit leads me to believe so.
Why you gotta have such a bad image of teens. 18/19 is a number too!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Mudkips said:
I'm pretty sure this line was added in one of the patches, and wasn't initially in the game.
Whether or not it's Valve's typical "release a game with missing assets" and it was planned ahead of time, I have know idea.

No, it was taken out prerelease because people felt that the line "ruined" their sense of accomplishment for escaping.

Hey, I played this on PC again and my framerate didn't magically die in the middle of the second or third map.

But then Steam died. Completely.

Blizzard

Banned
vertopci said:
Clearly you know nothing about setting the mood

Aww...someone's offended. QQ
I'm not offended. I am aware that it is a commonly used term for homosexuals, but that doesn't mean it's any nicer than calling a black person the n-word.

This is the internet. It is made for people to be nice!

*edit* Yeah, Steam has gone crazy, but my games still seem to work so I'll survive. :lol *edit again* Back up! IM me if anyone wants to play campaign or vs tonight. I'll have a bit of time while doing laundry.

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
This is the dumbest thing I've ever read about this game. You should read more about what's coming after the Passing. There's also a good, logical reason that they killed Bill.

Which isn't portrayed in The Passing itself, which makes it shitty presentation.

I heard that there's going to be a DLC campaign that shows what happened, but all that's relevant right now is what's currently in-game. If a film has a lacklustre story, it's not excused by elaborating on it in a sequel, or by making it necessary to read up on it elsewhere. It's no more excusable here.

If there is indeed a good, logical reason for Bill's death, then that should have been reflected in The Passing to actually do his character justice. I'm not saying they had to show how he died exactly, especially if they want to save that for a later DLC campaign, but as it is, the other original survivors seem underplayed in The Passing, and they barely even seem to give a shit about Bill dying (on one of my runthroughs, they didn't even mention anything about him at all). If Valve are indeed going to explore it in more detail later, then I'd rather they had just saved the original survivors entirely until then, as at least then the reveal of Bill's death would have been done justice. When a character I'm emotionally invested in dies, having that revelation dropped on me like it's nothing and then basically being told to "wait until later" before anything is explained simply isn't good enough.

vertopci

Blizzard said:
I'm not offended. I am aware that it is a commonly used term for homosexuals, but that doesn't mean it's any nicer than calling a black person the n-word.

This is the internet. It is made for people to be nice!

That reply was to botolf...not you :/

Everyone taking this seriously is a fucking moron

vertopci

HK-47 said:
srs bsnss

I'm 100% srs bsnss man. I never joke around. Ever.

Revolutionary said:

I never said that! Why are you creating lies!?!?

Mar

Didn't get much of a thrill out of The Passing. The geometry seemed really old school and boring too. A friend said it best when out of nowhere he goes 'this reminds me of Quake 2'. That's when I realised what was annoying me. It just felt... stale. Corridors of stair cases and sewers.

The interaction with the previous survivors was a let down too. I thought they'd be a lot more dynamic. Instead, they are completely static and even meeting them for the first time they are placed really awkwardly and the models look all wrong.

They should have included an achievement to finish it on expert as well. We went through at first on Normal to get a feel for the level and now there's just no incentive or motivation to go through on expert. Nothing to work for.

We'll cheese the rest of the achievements and wait for the L4D1 DLC I guess...

Mar said:
Didn't get much of a thrill out of The Passing. The geometry seemed really old school and boring too. A friend said it best when out of nowhere he goes 'this reminds me of Quake 2'. That's when I realised what was annoying me. It just felt... stale. Corridors of stair cases and sewers.

The interaction with the previous survivors was a let down too. I thought they'd be a lot more dynamic. Instead, they are completely static and even meeting them for the first time they are placed really awkwardly and the models look all wrong.

They should have included an achievement to finish it on expert as well. We went through at first on Normal to get a feel for the level and now there's just no incentive or motivation to go through on expert. Nothing to work for.

We'll cheese the rest of the achievements and wait for the L4D1 DLC I guess...

But they like use Displacements for the roads and stuff.

It's still better than The Parish.

I like Passing more than Swamp Fever, Dead Center and Dark Carnival. I like the fact that there are small but more than one routes/entrance to a place (like that pool place). It just feels natural. My favorite is still Hard Rain :p

RustyNails said:
I like Passing more than Swamp Fever, Dead Center and Dark Carnival. I like the fact that there are small but more than one routes/entrance to a place (like that pool place). It just feels natural. My favorite is still Hard Rain :p
I wish they made HR4 more of a challenge (HR2 levels difficulty). It's a complete cake walk and anticlimactic after the two preceding stages.

On Realism VS HR3, has anyone ever got passed the cornfield tank? 3 games, 3 tanks, 6 teams wiped out.

Mar

RustyNails said:

I can see lots of things coming down to personal preference and how much someone enjoys certain themes. But better than Dark Carnival? Get outa here.

As a gamer who doesn't mind paying for things that others get free (like when I was a PC gamer and all my friends pirated their games but I bought them), I actually question the value of The Passing on X360. It honestly doesn't seem worth the price of admission.

syllogism

marvelharvey said:
On Realism VS HR3, has anyone ever got passed the cornfield tank? 3 games, 3 tanks, 6 teams wiped out.
It's not hard if you just run back to the gas station and camp inside or possibly outside against the wall

FatBaby

Hey guys, I've tried asking this question to Steam Support and the Steam forums, but so far I haven't had any luck to fixing this problem. I figure I will ask here to see if maybe someone might know how to fix it, so here it is:

When I load up Left 4 Dead 2 for the first time, voice chat seems to be working just fine when I go to test it under the options. I am able to join a game and chat with people while playing, however when I leave the game, voice chat will stop working. When I go under options to test it, I get no indication that it is working. If I join another game, voice chat will continue to not work. The only way to fix this is to exit out of the game and load it up again. Voice chat will again start to work, but will still have the same problems if I leave a game. Again, the only way to fix this is to restart the game.

I am totally stumped on what the hell is causing this problem. I've tried pluging my microphone into both the sound card and the motherboard, and BOTH have the same problem. I've tried disabling things, adjusting levels, anything I can think of that might cause an issue. L4D2 is the ONLY game this happens with. TF2 works fine, Ventrilo works fine, etc.

And to top everything off, everything was working 100% under Windows Vista 64-bit. I only started having this problem when I made the switch to Windows 7 64-bit a couple weeks ago. Nothing has changed with the computer other than the OS. I am at a total loss of what to do. I mean, its not the end of the world, but it is just driving me crazy how its the only game that does this.

Does anyone else have this problem? I would really appreciate any help you guys might have.

Sanic

How's the playercount for the DLC on 360, both the campaign and the mutator stuff? I'm only a casual L4D player (I put in 6ish hours a month) and i'm not sure if this is worth $7 or not. I guess as long as they keep some good mutator stuff going every week, it should be ok, but reading some impressions here, i'm getting mixed reactions to the campaign.

Did they tinker with the spawn distance cushion for Infected? We played two games of Realism Versus tonight and while the first (The Passing) was fine, on Dark Carnival we had to go miles away to get the "You are too close to the survivors" message to disappear. When they were at the bottom of the ladder leading to the slides, I had to go right to the top of the slide before I could spawn in. That can't be right, surely?

Sanic

Shake Appeal said:
Did they tinker with the spawn distance cushion for Infected? We played two games of Realism Versus tonight and while the first (The Passing) was fine, on Dark Carnival we had to go miles away to get the "You are too close to the survivors" message to disappear. When they were at the bottom of the ladder leading to the slides, I had to go right to the top of the slide before I could spawn in. That can't be right, surely?

I haven't noticed any difference, personally.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Shake Appeal said:

Yeah, in realism VS, the spawn distance appears to be increased. It's frustrating because while Realism is harder, it doesn't turn the Survivors into Hellen Keller so boomer gets really fucking difficult to use.

Sanic

Um, I just tried the commentary mode for the first time, and it froze my xbox. I just tried with a second disc and it did the same thing. This isn't any kind of known issue is it?

Pandoracell said:
Um, I just tried the commentary mode for the first time, and it froze my xbox. I just tried with a second disc and it did the same thing. This isn't any kind of known issue is it?

I remember this happening to me just a few days ago as well.

DarkKyo

Ben2749 said:
Which isn't portrayed in The Passing itself, which makes it shitty presentation.

I heard that there's going to be a DLC campaign that shows what happened, but all that's relevant right now is what's currently in-game. If a film has a lacklustre story, it's not excused by elaborating on it in a sequel, or by making it necessary to read up on it elsewhere. It's no more excusable here.

If there is indeed a good, logical reason for Bill's death, then that should have been reflected in The Passing to actually do his character justice. I'm not saying they had to show how he died exactly, especially if they want to save that for a later DLC campaign, but as it is, the other original survivors seem underplayed in The Passing, and they barely even seem to give a shit about Bill dying (on one of my runthroughs, they didn't even mention anything about him at all). If Valve are indeed going to explore it in more detail later, then I'd rather they had just saved the original survivors entirely until then, as at least then the reveal of Bill's death would have been done justice. When a character I'm emotionally invested in dies, having that revelation dropped on me like it's nothing and then basically being told to "wait until later" before anything is explained simply isn't good enough.
See that's the thing, I don't think the L4D2 staff regard the characters like that. These are quick stories about random survivors, not anything to get invested in. I think that is like getting emotionally invested in a TF2 character.

Sanic

UltimaPooh said:
I remember this happening to me just a few days ago as well.

Really? I've tried it 3 times with both discs. It always freezes in one of two spots. I've been having issues with my 360, so I assumed it was that. Can anybody else verify anything?

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
Dechaios said:
See that's the thing, I don't think the L4D2 staff regard the characters like that. These are quick stories about random survivors, not anything to get invested in. I think that is like getting emotionally invested in a TF2 character.

I think those were the general intentions of Turtle Rock - create a series of short vignettes with little to no interconnectedness other than a "zombie movie" that used the same for archetypes as main characters. There's the war vet, the college co-ed, the regular office worker, and the grizzled biker dude. They're painted with broad strokes to make them fit into just about any zombie movie possible.

Since Valve has taken over the franchise, though, they seem pretty hellbent on turning it into a "world" with a continuous story and recurring characters. They've filled in blanks between episodes in both Crash Course and The Passing, Left 4 Dead 2 tells an overall narrative rather than a series of short stories that have no connection, universe building devices like CEDA are way more emphasized, and all of the sets of characters (Midnight Riders, the original 4, and the new 4) all exist in the same universe.

That said, I agree the death isn't anything to get worked up about. It's clear that they've been having trouble getting Bill's voice actor for whatever reason, and instead of just having him awkwardly sit there and stare off into space like a... well, like a zombie it's better to cut their losses.

Top Bottom