• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

Sanic

To those wondering, I just found out that a bug was introduced with the latest patch, and there's a chance that commentary mode will not work for some.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Anyone here want to get a game going on Steam?

=D

Shake Appeal said:
Did they tinker with the spawn distance cushion for Infected? We played two games of Realism Versus tonight and while the first (The Passing) was fine, on Dark Carnival we had to go miles away to get the "You are too close to the survivors" message to disappear. When they were at the bottom of the ladder leading to the slides, I had to go right to the top of the slide before I could spawn in. That can't be right, surely?

I've played two Realism VS games. On Dark Carnival, the spawn radius was very big, at least it was very noticeable that is was bigger than usual. On Hard Rain I didn't really notice whether the radius was bigger or not.

Pandoracell said:
Really? I've tried it 3 times with both discs. It always freezes in one of two spots. I've been having issues with my 360, so I assumed it was that. Can anybody else verify anything?

After the Passing was released, the PC got an update (24/4) which included:
- Fixed commentary maps crashing on load

So maybe The Passing update messed up the commentary maps, and they haven't fixed it on the Xbox?

Dechaios said:
See that's the thing, I don't think the L4D2 staff regard the characters like that. These are quick stories about random survivors, not anything to get invested in. I think that is like getting emotionally invested in a TF2 character.

Yeah, I don't think it was intentional on their part, seeing as story is pretty much a non-factor in the L4D games. But the fact that people love the survivors so much in spite of that (particularly the L4D1 survivors) shows just how great their interaction and dialogue was.

And it's funny you should compare this to Team Fortress 2, because I guarantee that if they replaced one of the classes in TF2 with a different character (but still served exaclty the same purpose), there would be a huge backlash. All you have to do is go on YouTube and look up the countless number of TF2 fan videos to see how revered the characters are. TF2 just wouldn't be the same without the "sandvich"-eating Heavy, the cigarette-smoking Spy saying "Gentlemen", or the German Medic.

Backstory doesn't make a character. Personality does, and Valve can definitely deliver in that regard.

drkOne

Stallion Free said:
But 3:30 AM GMT is so much fun!
No.
I hate when I wake up and I have an invite from vert at like 3AM… It's like he does it on purpose just to mock me :(
AND IT'S EVEN WORSE WHEN HE SPECIFICALLY SAYS IT'S GOING TO BE REALISM VS

I hate you all ; ;

syllogism

OmegaDragon said:
I've played two Realism VS games. On Dark Carnival, the spawn radius was very big, at least it was very noticeable that is was bigger than usual. On Hard Rain I didn't really notice whether the radius was bigger or not.
That's a "bug", but it doesn't affect all/most servers.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Realism VS. is great fun. We were able to kill Vert's team within a few minutes of them leaving the safe room!

denomes

Hey all! I'm an avid L4D2 player and long-time lurker of this thread. I would love to hop in some games with fellow gaffers! Add me up on Steam if you want to play, I'd appreciate the invite into some games this weekend. My ID is: "denomes". I have a mic and am an overall helpful survivor I assure you!

Shoogoo

I have L4D2 for both PC & 360 and since I downloaded the passing, I find the lag on 360 is unbearable. Anyone experienced that? I'd be so pissed to turn down that version as it's the one most of my friends are playing on.

Sanic

Shoogoo said:
I have L4D2 for both PC & 360 and since I downloaded the passing, I find the lag on 360 is unbearable. Anyone experienced that? I'd be so pissed to turn down that version as it's the one most of my friends are playing on.

That's not good. I was considering buying the passing today, but seeing as I already have issues with lag/finding matches I may hold off.

Shoogoo

Pandoracell said:
That's not good. I was considering buying the passing today, but seeing as I already have issues with lag/finding matches I may hold off.

Do you have lags on other games or just L4D2?

marvelharvey said:
I wish they made HR4 more of a challenge (HR2 levels difficulty). It's a complete cake walk and anticlimactic after the two preceding stages.

On Realism VS HR3, has anyone ever got passed the cornfield tank? 3 games, 3 tanks, 6 teams wiped out.
Haha, I only made it out of Cornfield of Doom once out of like 4 or 5 realism vs matches. Didn't make it till the end of the map though :(
Mar said:
I can see lots of things coming down to personal preference and how much someone enjoys certain themes. But better than Dark Carnival? Get outa here.
Eh. Not really a big fan of Dark Carnival apart from the first and second maps...which are pretty fun. Whispering oaks part itself is not fun for me. Tunnel of love and rollercoaster runs just don't work for me. It has a cool finale though.

I like some of the custom mutations this person came up with:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fzITcYclGY

The Floor is Lava - You are being harangued by an endless horde of Spitters with instantly recharging spit. Your only weapon is the magnum and your health is in a state of constant decay, the only available health item to restore it being pills.

Karate Hunters - You are being harangued by an endless horde of Hunters who can only scratch you. However, you can only fight back with knives and there are no health items at all. When you become incapacitated, you die.

Rambo Charge! - You have an M60 with infinite ammo and you must traverse the level filled with dozens of simultaneous Chargers simultaneously charging you. If you do get charged, you are given one extra chance to survive. However, you'll be on your last strike and the only health items available in the level are adrenaline shots.

He doesn't live long during any of the demonstrations, but it looks entertaining.

syllogism

This Week's Poll
While last week's poll was interesting, this week's in-game poll actually changes the game. The question? Should we make Realism Versus a permanent game mode? This is by far the most important vote you will cast this year. For 360 owners, you must own "The Passing" to vote in this poll.
http://www.l4d.com/blog/

PC vote isn't up yet

derFeef

What kind of vote is that? I mean who would vote no. While I do not play versus I think a new game mode is very welcome every time.

syllogism

derFeef said:
What kind of vote is that? I mean who would vote no. While I do not play versus I think a new game mode is very welcome every time.
The vote is a bit silly, but the reason why they don't just make every mode permanent is because it will, obviously, split the player base; even now getting full lobbies at certain times of day isn't easy, especially with the constant rage quits.

derFeef

syllogism said:
The vote is a bit silly, but the reason why they don't just make every mode permanent is because it will, obviously, split the player base; even now getting full lobbies at certain times of day isn't easy, especially with the constant rage quits.
Hm, I can not imagine voting "no" on any mutator. It is always better to have options. But I can see why some may vote no, even if it makes no sense in the long term.

ezekial45

Banned
derFeef said:
Hm, I can not imagine voting "no" on any mutator. It is always better to have options. But I can see why some may vote no, even if it makes no sense in the long term.

The current mutators have added to the survival aspect of the game and completely stacked the odds against the survivors. I can image that people would not like a mutator only because it weighs one side down, and takes away from one side of the game. If that makes sense....

Thats the only way I can explain it since we have been exposed to only 2 mutators so far.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Bleed Out is very hard because of the hordes, not the temp health. If it was like a normal map it was be much easier.

derFeef

ezekial45 said:
The current mutators have added to the survival aspect of the game and completely stacked the odds against the survivors. I can image that people would not like a mutator only because it weighs one side down, and takes away from one side of the game. If that makes sense....

Thats the only way I can explain it since we have been exposed to only 2 mutators so far.
I understand what you mean, but you have both options so why take one out. Or Is the playerbase that small?

ezekial45

Banned
There is only one strategy for bleed out, to my knowledge. Throw pipes or mols and run, as obvious as it is, helps a lot. I was able to get through a couple maps of dead center on advanced with bots playing like that. That is a rough mutation.

owlbeak

I personally think this one's an epic failure. Who thought this up? Who thought it'd be fun?? It's not...at all. I mean, gee, I know my favorite part of playing campaign is when all four survivors are struggling along with barely any health.... :|

NEXT!

owlbeak

AHappyPanda said:
Playing Expert campaigns on 360.

Have 2, need 1 or 2 more.

GT: Panda Owning Em

Pleaaaasseee
Look me up, Horsebite on XBL. My friends are being pansies about expert campaigns on L4D2. I have all the original games campaigns beat on Expert, so I'm pretty decent!

Twig

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
The mad 1HP dash from the mall alarm to the safe room was pretty fun.
Haha I had to do the same thing. But I was the only one. Everyone else ran ahead of me. So I died. ):

Red Scarlet

Just finished Swamp Fever w/ Nabs, Stallion, and Morningbus. They all used arcade sticks I guess. Had quite a few funny moments, may gif some later.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Red Scarlet said:
Just finished Swamp Fever w/ Nabs, Stallion, and Morningbus. They all used arcade sticks I guess. Had quite a few funny moments, may gif some later.

Lol, I used a 360 pad and Nabs was on a arcade stick. And Morningbus traitored us and went back to M&KB. Nabs and I survived the finale which was fitting because we are 2pro with our pads.

My friend and I really liked Bleed Out.

We spent like 3 hours on the same campaign, though :lol While we did enjoy it, we could see a ton of people not feeling the same.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
dragonlife29 said:
My friend and I really liked Bleed Out.

We spent like 3 hours on the same campaign, though :lol While we did enjoy it, we could see a ton of people not feeling the same.

Bleed Out was entertaining for one campaign, but I would get bored of it very quickly on another run through.

Top Bottom