• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

Aspiring

Just a question, if i buy the passing from the Australian Marketplace, but i have the US version, what will happen? I mean, the aussie version is censored, yes? What does this mean with the DLC?

Mar

Aspiring said:
Just a question, if i buy the passing from the Australian Marketplace, but i have the US version, what will happen? I mean, the aussie version is censored, yes? What does this mean with the DLC?

Nothing. Works for me and all my friends. Non censored.

Luigi87

Tonight I was playing a 10v10 mod server.
I Jockied a Coach as I played a round of SF2, then a Charger hit him at the same second... It was the first time (through a glitch) I saw a Jockey hold on for dear life as Coach got charged (absolutely hilarious btw)... Right through the floor of the map.

The Charger then vanished, and the bot Survivors that were on the opposite team glitched themselves through the floor and got me.

Needless to say... Damn I wish I could have made a recording of it.

Uncle AJ

Red Scarlet said:
Hey, sorry I fell a little behind RD/Botolf/HK, something decided to try to smoosh me.

http://redscarlet.paragonsigma.com/L4D/tankgoomba.avi

Speaking of ninjas :O

Fun times in L4D1 survival, Red! Game doesn't seem to crash anymore.

Someone refresh my memory: in L4D1, if you ignite a tank, I know it dies after a certain amount of time regardless of bullet damage, but can you still shoot it to death before that timer runs out?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Mo the Hawk said:
Speaking of ninjas :O

Fun times in L4D1 survival, Red! Game doesn't seem to crash anymore.

Someone refresh my memory: in L4D1, if you ignite a tank, I know it dies after a certain amount of time regardless of bullet damage, but can you still shoot it to death before that timer runs out?

yes

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Dance In My Blood said:
All the finales are the same. Why would it be different for DLC? Did people throw fits over Swamp Fever or Dark Carnival having another hold out for 'X' length of time? No, because it's fun and it works and it would be unreasonable to expect it to never return. Don't expect an add-on to bring something new without good reason. All of those elements work on The Passing, and in some cases work better than their original incarnations.

The level is fun, fast, varied, and has great vertical spaces and interesting set pieces. It is a good level that does just what it's supposed to; compliment the existing levels. Throwing in something like 8 players is horrible and game breaking, even if it is fun to try just once to see how dumb it is.

The review also completely leaves out mutations. Mutations are a huge introduction to L4D2 for me on the terms of keeping the game fresh by altering the basic rules of the world. It's huge in terms of extending the overall lifespan of the game and it is also a part of the DLC.

*looks at DC, HR, and TP*

And I dont think anything is done better in The Passing save maybe the variable weather effects.

Red Scarlet

I enjoy the fusion of finales in The Passing, as it gives another option of finale type. Instead of 'get gas' and likely avoid tanks completely, the usual 'fight 2 tanks then escape vehicle comes', the '3 tanks', it combines them into one! Parish is it's own 4th type though. Still, the only finales actually similar to each other are Carnival's and Hard Rain's, the other 4 are different from that and each other (and the Passing is a combination of a couple as a new kind).

I'm glad it is something different instead of one of the previous types again.

Sibylus

Banned
I want a finale with no Tanks, just running with an escape vehicle that doesn't stay still.

Maybe I should design such a thing.

Uncle AJ

OK, people I played with threw around myths like that. "Don't even bother shooting the tank, bullets do nothing to ignited tanks," etc.

Red Scarlet

IIRC that may have been the case early on for 1, then they changed it to damage over time instead of 'after 45 sec the Tank dies'.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Man i thought Bleed Out was fun, until you get some jackass that doesn't understand that everyone has to be on the elevator in order for it to work. Then you're down to like 65 health already.

Shadowlink283

Neo Member
Botolf said:
I want a finale with no Tanks, just running with an escape vehicle that doesn't stay still.

Maybe I should design such a thing.

That would be dumb, making the shit easier for the survivors :lol :lol , maybe taking a tank out would make the deal but easy things are stupid Bot cmon man :(

Vortex566

Mo the Hawk said:
I'd probably do better using an arcade stick in L4D2 than I am with Super SF4 right now. No double quarter circle forward bullshit to worry about in L4D2!

This is how I feel right now....

Red Scarlet said:
IIRC that may have been the case early on for 1, then they changed it to damage over time instead of 'after 45 sec the Tank dies'.
That's correct. Initially for L4D1, fire had its own separate timer and didn't affect your remaining HP in any way. Which was interesting, but also kind of stupid. They changed it later on to the current system, where it simply does HP damage. Takes longer to kill a tank with only fire, but any competent team can speed that up greatly via concentrated fire.

Launch

Banned
This will probably seem like a dumb question but I'm VERY new to pc gaming and to L4D2, but I was expecting more people to be using headsets and I've so far experienced only or 2 people in about 10hrs of campaign play, is there something I'm missing?

I'm playing on Normal mostly which I guess doesn't require much communication.

Launch said:
This will probably seem like a dumb question but I'm VERY new to pc gaming and to L4D2, but I was expecting more people to be using headsets and I've so far experienced only or 2 people in about 10hrs of campaign play, is there something I'm missing?

Upping the difficulty will help a little. But I find that with the lack of requirement for voice to communicate, a lot of people will just use text, or rely on the in ai scripts and voice commands. It's a lame way to play :-(. Other than that, sometimes people will hold on on using mics unless others have take the initiative.

Diebuster

Launch said:

From my own experience playing, a lot of people don't use/have mics. They're really not needed though, even on expert/realism. People with mics usually use them for social purposes.

Launch

Banned
Ahh ok, it's been pretty amazing so far without mics so I'm not too bothered by it, was just worried I'd missed something!

Nabs

Launch said:
Ahh ok, it's been pretty amazing so far without mics so I'm not too bothered by it, was just worried I'd missed something!
play vs, i think you'll find more talking there.

Sibylus

Banned
Shadowlink283 said:
That would be dumb, making the shit easier for the survivors :lol :lol , maybe taking a tank out would make the deal but easy things are stupid Bot cmon man :(
Such a finale could afford to be longer and have a more nuanced path, it wouldn't simply be The Parish with the tanks taken out (which would be pretty darn easy). I wouldn't go to the trouble of disabling tank spawns just to make a standard finale, dude :lol

firex

Red Scarlet said:
I always noticed shooting a lit tank doing damage to it/killing it faster, but it might be different in vs. I'm just glad it counts burn damage toward the tank damage stats.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
You know you play too much L4D when you're getting dressed in the morning and you're tempted to yell "Grabbin some socks!"

Dice said:
You know you play too much L4D when you're getting dressed in the morning and you're tempted to yell "Grabbin some socks!"

:lol

I wish I would have picked this up during the steam sale. I played it on the 360 and thought it was alright, but now that I have a real gaming pc would be interested to see how much better it is on pc.

srenity

Neo Member
Diebuster said:
From my own experience playing, a lot of people don't use/have mics. They're really not needed though, even on expert/realism. People with mics usually use them for social purposes.
I think typing everything out kind of hinders the game. On expert/realism, when someone types out 'HUNTER!' when they're being mauled by them and they were at <20HP, the other players would need to know the location of where they're being mauled before they die and typing out where they are takes a bit of time. That's just my opinion though.

------

Just wanted to rant:

I was playing a random online game last night. I usually play non-modded servers but nobody was playing random official campaigns that night. When I joined in, I started to notice that other players automatically got laser pointers on their weapons by typing a command, friendly fire did no damage, they talked about how they gathered up 13 med-kits, and I somehow got spawned near a player with full health after my death.

I asked them if some kind of cheat is enabled in the game, but they said it was just a mod. I don't know... it seemed cheating to me. After they finished (I joined in the finale), they were all proud of themselves for finishing yet another campaign on Expert *rolleyes*

[end rant]

Since some of you guys play on modded servers, I was just wondering how far should mods go before it starts to look like 'cheating', in your opinion? Am I supposed to believe that this kind of mod is normal!? If so, people don't deserve to brag that they beat a certain campaign in a certain difficulty! D:<

Sibylus

Banned
I don't wind up on many modded servers. If the group I'm playing with lands one and isn't try to do something specific (like survive an Expert run), we'll just play it and enjoy the changes Lasers and weapon purchasing systems seem to crop up the most on servers running a lot of custom addon campaigns. The situation is a bit different than that of mods on a console, mainly in that Source games are friendly toward server-installed mods (ie if the server owner/renter wants to affect all players' experiences equally via global server changes, that's a legitimate option). In all likelihood, those players you were playing with had simply found a server with some custom mods (I've found similar servers with laser pointers after saying a certain word, or ways to spawn additional healthkits, etc) The "Official Only" lobby option weeds out the modded servers as far as I know.

If my group is trying to survive on Expert or Realism or something similar, we do try to do it on an unmodded server. Our bragging rights are pure!

sgnhh

Neo Member
Most mic users are probably going to be found in Vs. and in the Expert difficulty for the campaign. A mic doesn't necessarily make someone a better asset to a team, though. Good players are good players, with or without mics.

xero273

Botolf said:
If my group is trying to survive on Expert or Realism or something similar, we do try to do it on an unmodded server. Our bragging rights are pure!

yea, surviving expert and botolf at the same time is a lot to brag about.

Sibylus

Banned
sgnhh said:
Most mic users are probably going to be found in Vs. and in the Expert difficulty for the campaign. A mic doesn't necessarily make someone a better asset to a team, though. Good players are good players, with or without mics.
Agreed to this. A microphone won't magically grant you more skill or better situational awareness, it simply makes good players even more effective.

xero273 said:
yea, surviving expert and botolf at the same time is a lot to brag about.
... and surviving Scarlet's friendly fire, HK's chronic urge to run away from home, RocketDarkness' uber FF and revenge molos, etc, etc, etc.

Omzom's true inner strength: fucking up really bad and somehow recovering.

Diebuster

srenity said:
I think typing everything out kind of hinders the game. On expert/realism, when someone types out 'HUNTER!' when they're being mauled by them and they were at <20HP, the other players would need to know the location of where they're being mauled before they die and typing out where they are takes a bit of time. That's just my opinion though.

That's understandable. People should be sticking close/keeping an eye out/listening for infected so situations like that don't occur, but it does happen; a mic in that case would be very helpful and more efficient than a keyboard.

Botolf said:
Agreed to this. A microphone won't magically grant you more skill or better situational awareness, it simply makes good players even more effective.

... and surviving Scarlet's friendly fire, HK's chronic urge to run away from home, RocketDarkness' uber FF and revenge molos, etc, etc, etc.

I may get more FF, but at least it's usually grazing with an SMG, as opposed to A SHOTGUN IN THE FACE AT THE TOP OF A LADDER. XD

Firestorm

Diebuster said:
I guess as someone who only really plays with friends I see it a lot more. We're constantly on voicechat.

Example: My terribly unsuccessful Expert run and successful (with some deaths) Advanced Bleed Out run on The Passing:
http://www.mediafire.com/?d4mqzonm3eo

Hm had a Versus run too so stuck that in for anyone who is bored and wants to watch L4D2 demos!

vertopci

We played some vanilla vs tonight. And Stallion has converted to vanilla. He was quoted as saying "What kind of bitch plays that CEVO and confogl config shit. Anyone who likes that shit should die."

All bow down to the awesome flavor of vanilla l4d. Everyone shall be converted to it's amazing way!

Nabs

forced to play vanilla vs tonight, and after 2 hrs and 400 medkits we end up here:

2n18dqd.jpg

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
vertopci said:
We played some vanilla vs tonight. And Stallion has converted to vanilla. He was quoted as saying "What kind of bitch plays that CEVO and confogl config shit. Anyone who likes that shit should die."

All bow down to the awesome flavor of vanilla l4d. Everyone shall be converted to it's amazing way!

Yeah that game was mindblowing. Tie breaker is now being done in Civ 4 over the next 8 hours.

Uncle AJ

I am drunk. Like, Cinco de Mayo drunk. So who wants to play some L4D or L4D2 on Expert? :D

In all seriousness, my roommate just picked up the 360 version so I'm very excited to start split-screening that with him. He'll be playing on Expert in no time!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
srenity said:

------

Just wanted to rant:

I was playing a random online game last night. I usually play non-modded servers but nobody was playing random official campaigns that night. When I joined in, I started to notice that other players automatically got laser pointers on their weapons by typing a command, friendly fire did no damage, they talked about how they gathered up 13 med-kits, and I somehow got spawned near a player with full health after my death.

I asked them if some kind of cheat is enabled in the game, but they said it was just a mod. I don't know... it seemed cheating to me. After they finished (I joined in the finale), they were all proud of themselves for finishing yet another campaign on Expert *rolleyes*

[end rant]

Since some of you guys play on modded servers, I was just wondering how far should mods go before it starts to look like 'cheating', in your opinion? Am I supposed to believe that this kind of mod is normal!? If so, people don't deserve to brag that they beat a certain campaign in a certain difficulty! D:<

Let them play however they want. Though if you are playing big player count servers I think its fair because there are usually heavy mods for the infects in addition to having a usepoint ability or the space jump. Especially red tank or multiple tank spawns or evextra tough SI + the only items are those dropped by SI. I dont really play on reg mod servers unless its the only server running a custom I wanna play. And I dont really care, since I'm usually doing that for pure fun and to see a new map.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Botolf said:

I dont run away. I explore with abandon.

I wish there was a modded survival server in 1. CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANE

srenity

Neo Member
Thanks for the input/replies Botolf and HK-47 on my rant. I would understand if they use that kind of mod when they buff the infected. But for sure I'll use the filter from now on so I'll only be viewing the official campaigns!

It seems like most of you guys play VS. If any of you are willing to play campaign, let me join in! I need some practice xD

srenity said:
Thanks for the input/replies Botolf and HK-47 on my rant. I would understand if they use that kind of mod when they buff the infected. But for sure I'll use the filter from now on so I'll only be viewing the official campaigns!

It seems like most of you guys play VS. If any of you are willing to play campaign, let me join in! I need some practice xD
You and Red will become fast friends, methink.

EDIT: Hey look, there she is. What timezone are you? Red and I are PST, I'm near LA, and I always forget exactly where Red is situated.

Top Bottom