• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

Diebuster

Holy shit Bleed Out is hard. Made it to Chapter 4 of Dark Carnival on Expert before giving up. That mode does not fuck around.

It was fun though, I liked how intense it was.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
A Link to the Snitch said:
Computer's a tad too weak to play it well enough. Really delayed in its reaction. Went from nearly 200 hours of L4D to barely more than 10 for L4D2. :<
Even on the lowest of low settings?

Sibylus

Banned
We should play some Bleed Out in the coming week, I think I'll dig the Director playing a little rough.

And yo HK, reasons why Hard Rain 2 is much harder than Hard Rain 3:

- All witches wander (and it really does make a difference)
- Sun blindness can make planning a bit harder because you can't easily see ahead in the level, and it compounds witch problems.
- The cane field + wandering witches is a lot trickier than the darkened cane field and water
- HR3 doesn't have a crescendo event whereas HR2 does, and it's near the end of the map (around when the team is usually hurting)
- Higher ground is more accessible in HR3

Sibylus

Banned
A scope needs a clear line of sight before it can zero in and pop off a hot slug into the breeze, man.

HK-47 said:
Pyro > Nick

Traitor!
Wait wut. I have avatars of both. Rotation, bro!

Your edit is too slow. But anywho, ever since Scarlet gave me a place to host all the avatars. She is awesome and this rotator is awesome. Awesome awesome awesome.

Uncle AJ

Bleed Out feels a lot like Versus in that "just go, move move move" way. Except the SI aren't ruthless and exploitative. I like it!

I also got a round in on Passing and scored a medkit from Zoey before the patch. :D

Red Scarlet

Ahhh, helped another 2 get past Hard Rain on expert. Really nice that I can see the rain now. Really, it's the tears of the people playing with me because I get all drill sergeant on them especially for that campaign. Thanks for putting up with me!

I'll put up the crazy race in a bit though.

ezekial45

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
Ahhh, helped another 2 get past Hard Rain on expert. Really nice that I can see the rain now. Really, it's the tears of the people playing with me because I get all drill sergeant on them especially for that campaign. Thanks for putting up with me!

I'll put up the crazy race in a bit though.

We know your rage is at the game and not us. We still have more expert runs to stumble through, even after HK has received his achievement, for yours truly. The Parish, and Dead Center to be exact.

Blizzard

Banned
Mo the Hawk said:
Bleed Out feels a lot like Versus in that "just go, move move move" way. Except the SI aren't ruthless and exploitative. I like it!
I think we had a seemingly constant stream of hordes (at least on advanced) when we tried it, which made it not so fun. I liked realism vs better.

Also yes, I'm sure Red Scarlet is scary when she orders everyone around on expert. :'( I was all failing at taking a shortcut and she was like "don't take that it's boring" and I was all ";_____;".
It turned out that it was more of a "don't take that since everyone would die trying to do it" thing, maybe. :p

Red Scarlet

ezekial45 said:
We know your rage is at the game and not us. We still have more expert runs to stumble through, even after HK has received his achievement, for yours truly. The Parish, and Dead Center to be exact.

I think all HK needs now is The Parish. It's kind of hard to get certain people (instead of anybody) to finish though. Yeah I'm angry at the game or me for not being able to help enough. I'll say this or that but I am only 1 player and it'd be silly to blame other people for not thinking the exact same way I would (though it would be fun to play w/ 3 clones of myself).

Blizzard said:
I think we had a seemingly constant stream of hordes (at least on advanced) when we tried it, which made it not so fun. I liked realism vs better.

Also yes, I'm sure Red Scarlet is scary when she orders everyone around on expert. :'( I was all failing at taking a shortcut and she was like "don't take that it's boring" and I was all ";_____;".
It turned out that it was more of a "don't take that since everyone would die trying to do it" thing, maybe. :p

Yeah I've only done that shortcut once (both ways), so it seemed pretty risky. The main issue is I always think my plans will work so I'll suggest this or that if things go wrong, even though it sounds like I'm being a bossy ass.

Red Scarlet

I don't even know what happened. I saw Xero on 3F, then get downed, and I somehow dodged a Charger at the ladder, then you got blasted in the face. I wanted to shoot and kill the Tank, but when I saw ez get death from above'd, I said all or nothing! That never worked before though.

ezekial45

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
I don't even know what happened. I saw Xero on 3F, then get downed, and I somehow dodged a Charger at the ladder, then you got blasted in the face. I wanted to shoot and kill the Tank, but when I saw ez get death from above'd, I said all or nothing! That never worked before though.

HK had a jockey on his head but I shot it so fast that the bullets disintegrated the jockey instantly and the bullets hit HK. I was about to save him but the tank hit me. HK, you should be thanking me.

Uncle AJ

I'd probably do better using an arcade stick in L4D2 than I am with Super SF4 right now. No double quarter circle forward bullshit to worry about in L4D2!

Firestorm

god two hours of fucking expert passing yesterday and did not get to the finale >=/ I have a demo but I doubt anyone wants to see two hours of constant failure.

Minamu

:lol I love that Bubble Bobble music when the tank comes. Took me a few seconds to realize what it was :D Nice teamwork :p

Red Scarlet

I probably could have played keep away with the Tank and picked up ez and HK, then we could have revived Xero with his defib. That's what I usually would do. Felt like running instead I guess (figured I'd get caught by something anyway).

firex

I tried Bleed Out on the passing last night and it was pretty hard. although it was with only 3 people. I want that chainsaw mutation instead, since that will make tanks/witches much scarier.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Red Scarlet said:
I probably could have played keep away with the Tank and picked up ez and HK, then we could have revived Xero with his defib. That's what I usually would do. Felt like running instead I guess (figured I'd get caught by something anyway).

Still not as epic as that jockey bot on SF4 though.

Sadly, that clip was lost =(

fbgamer

Banned
Hey guys I need some help with something... I just got L4D2 and none of my friends own the game anymore. I was playing online with random people but no one uses teamwork or the mic often as I would like.

So I was wondering if someone would please add me (xfbgamerx) on XBL and send me a message regarding L4D2 so we can play together. (hopefully you communicate and use teamwork) I think this game could be way more fun than it is so far...

Mar

EDGE's review of The Passing:

http://www.edge-online.com/features/review-left-4-dead-2-the-passing

End paragraph summary:

The Passing's sell – two groups of survivors – could have led to an array of new mechanics: dual-level survivors, split by geography but working together, or eightplayer sessions. Instead, we have a shorter campaign topped and tailed with a few phrases of incidental dialogue and updated character models. It cuts a nice line in set-pieces, presenting three straight from the top drawer, but pacing decisions make it feel a little less rounded than L4D2's existing campaigns. Really, it's just a shame that this unique combination of still-alivers didn't result in something truly innovative.

I agree entirely with that. It was a wasted opportunity and the pacing was off. While on the PC you could forgive it for being free, on x360 I'd say it's just not worth it.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Mar said:
EDGE's review of The Passing:

http://www.edge-online.com/features/review-left-4-dead-2-the-passing

End paragraph summary:

I agree entirely with that. It was a wasted opportunity and the pacing was off. While on the PC you could forgive it for being free, on x360 I'd say it's just not worth it.
Seems like a load of hot air to me. A lot of their complaints seem to tally up to them wanting more than what Left 4 Dead 2 is. Was anyone level headed really expecting 8 survivors? Or for them to revolutionize the scavange finales?

And I love the length of The Passing. It is much more digestible, and what Valve should have done with the original campaigns if they weren't trying to stretch the assets so much. The Passing feels very deliberate the entire way through.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Dance In My Blood said:
Seems like a load of hot air to me. A lot of their complaints seem to tally up to them wanting more than what Left 4 Dead 2 is. Was anyone level headed really expecting 8 survivors? Or for them to revolutionize the scavange finales?

And I love the length of The Passing. It is much more digestible, and what Valve should have done with the original campaigns if they weren't trying to stretch the assets so much. The Passing feels very deliberate the entire way through.

They wanted a finale that hadnt been done before. He was right that it pretty much stole all its center pieces from other camps. The double tanks from SF, the charge toward a safe room with zombies spawning in front of you from DK, the storms from HR, the scavenge finale from DC. And with the new mutation, would 8 players be a bad one? Custom servers can run 10v10.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
HK-47 said:
They wanted a finale that hadnt been done before. He was right that it pretty much stole all its center pieces from other camps. The double tanks from SF, the charge toward a safe room with zombies spawning in front of you from DK, the storms from HR, the scavenge finale from DC. And with the new mutation, would 8 players be a bad one? Custom servers can run 10v10.
All the finales are the same. Why would it be different for DLC? Did people throw fits over Swamp Fever or Dark Carnival having another hold out for 'X' length of time? No, because it's fun and it works and it would be unreasonable to expect it to never return. Don't expect an add-on to bring something new without good reason. All of those elements work on The Passing, and in some cases work better than their original incarnations.

The level is fun, fast, varied, and has great vertical spaces and interesting set pieces. It is a good level that does just what it's supposed to; compliment the existing levels. Throwing in something like 8 players is horrible and game breaking, even if it is fun to try just once to see how dumb it is.

The review also completely leaves out mutations. Mutations are a huge introduction to L4D2 for me on the terms of keeping the game fresh by altering the basic rules of the world. It's huge in terms of extending the overall lifespan of the game and it is also a part of the DLC.

I've been trying to finish this game on expert. Add me @ silverson12 if you're down. Really tired of teammates sucking/bailing out. Oh and this is for Steam.

ArjanN

Dance In My Blood said:

Yeah the original campaigns are a bit long on the long side, I think the length for The Passing actually works better since a campaign is essentially always a multiplayer match.

-

Top Bottom