• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

Twig

Banned
They should still just get rid of the whole mutation idea and make games fully customizable in the lobby.

Or at least adapt the mutation idea to market that new feature. "Hey try this new game mode today! Here's our recommended setting!"

Variety is always better.

HK-47 said:
Umm no. It doesnt defeat the purpose at all. It just plays differently. A good scavenge team sticks together and tries to get the max amount of cans each run without going far away.

Any infected team has a very low chance to beat a decent survivor team now. So I guess you're playing for speed, which is ok, but it's just not as fun IMO.

Twig said:
They should still just get rid of the whole mutation idea and make games fully customizable in the lobby.

Or at least adapt the mutation idea to market that new feature. "Hey try this new game mode today! Here's our recommended setting!"

Variety is always better.

YES.

But valve will never do that.

Blizzard

Banned
wayward archer said:
Any infected team has a very low chance to beat a decent survivor team now. So I guess you're playing for speed, which is ok, but it's just not as fun IMO.

YES.

But valve will never do that.
WHY IS VALVE SO EVIL! Also why doesn't everyone make servers with the mod that has all mutations available. :D

Also, I just played a round of scavenge (since I had never played scavenge) with the follow the liter thing. Our rounds seemed pretty close, though it gets kind of boring having that annoying music and the same map over and over. It's also crazy when you only have one can at a time.

vazel

Banned
wayward archer said:
Except for realism versus, mutations are not impressing.

This latest one encourages survivors to stay together while grabbing cans. That defeats the whole purpose of scavenge, which is to take risks and split up in order to complete it faster.
Yea I agree. It does defeat the purpose of efficiency/risk in scavenge games.

okay i'm tired of playing with randoms. getting killed by your own teammate sucks and watching some douche jump off a ledge on dead center blows

I hope there's no limit to the amount of Mutations Valve are willing to make permanent. I'm going to be pissed if Realism Versus made it over other Mutations simply because it was the first one. Of course people are going to vote for the first one in droves.

Personally, I'm really looking forward to:

Protect the V.I.P. (Campaign - a gnome must be carried to the end of the level)
Chainsaws (Campaign - Everybody gets a chainsaw with unlimited fuel and a pistol. No other weapons)
Four Swordsmen (Campaign - Katanas instead of chainsaws. Also, special infected only; no commons)
Madness (Campaign - No special infected, but there are LOADS of commons everywhere)
Versus Co-op (Campaign - You control the special infected, and bots control the survivors)
Versus Survival (just like regular versus, but survival mode)

Versus co-op wouldn't be much fun with the dimwitted AI. there would have to be a massive reworking of their routines to make such a mode entertaining.

Red Scarlet

Hunter Training was pretty fun in part 1..at least for pouncing. Huntergames was pretty cool too but that died when the Crash Course update came out for some reason.

MNC

Can't imagine Versus Co-op being alot of fun. Part of the enjoyment of being an infected is nailing an actual person to the ground with a hunter, not an AI, IMO.

Just played a few games of Follow the Liter. It's actually a lot of fun. The Special Infected have to co-ordinate their efforts a lot more, as Survivors obviously stay much closer together. But that doesn't necessarily make it too easy for the Survivors, as games are much more drawn out, as they can only go after one or two cans at a time, they can't simply avoid ones that are in awkward areas, and Special Infected can camp quite effectively.

WTF? So Passing finale is broken? I didn't get the memo!

I was playing vs today and some guy jumped through the window (in the wall above the stairs to the elevator) and started filling up the gas cans.

Uncle AJ

snack said:
Is there a program other than the built in demo recorder that you guys use to record L4D2 gameplay?

Fraps seems to be really popular. But it tends to make your game chug and the videos have an unsightly watermark at the top.

Twig

Banned
It also only chugs if you set the recording fps lower than what you normally experience.

I set mine to 30 just because 60 is overkill for random YouTube videos. And it takes up less space. (Uncompressed video is huge).

Sibylus

Banned
Nessus said:
The original L4D had split screen on PC?
In single player, yes (wired xbox 360 controllers was what the other players used). Pretty sure L4D2 has it too, but with different commands or something.

Minamu

I had the weirdest dream today. I was in a two-man team on some random custom map or something & we were being chased by a tank. It turns out that the player playing as a tank is some kind of talk show host so he keeps talking to his invisible audience :lol After we've kited him down to 10 hp (he had a health bar), he starts talking to his audience again, asking ominously which player would the last one standing. Luckily, I have a secret weapon, namely the Holy handgrenade from Worms Armageddon :lol Such a cheap victory, but a victory nonetheless :D

I haven't played either game in weeks.

Legendary.jpg

Nabs said:
We played a 10 vs 10 today.

Absolutely hilarious.

Is that done via mods? I've only played the L4D games on 360, so I've never experienced stuff like that.

I'd love to play L4D/L4D2 on my laptop, but I doubt it's powerful enough to run them. Does Steam let you download demos?

Hey guys I was just wondering how much the 4-pack cost at the US Steam store (Aussie here). And is there anyone reliable from the US who might consider sharing a 4-pack (already have 3 aussies)?

Red Scarlet

Ben2749 said:
Is that done via mods? I've only played the L4D games on 360, so I've never experienced stuff like that.

I'd love to play L4D/L4D2 on my laptop, but I doubt it's powerful enough to run them. Does Steam let you download demos?

Yeah, there's lots of custom servers and fanmade maps and stuff. Steam lets you dl demos yeah, sometimes they have free weekends and you can dl this or that game and play it for free. They did that with L4D 1 and/or 2 before.

Nabs

Ben2749 said:

get steam & download portal for free. see if your comp can handle the source engine.

it was a modded server that i saw on my group server list. people from my friends list started following me in (lol dac, must have confused you) and we had a pretty good time.

Top Bottom