• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

Uncle AJ

Sorry to Oreoleo and Jangaroo for leaving you two behind at the DedCen finale there. I was just like, "we're on our 3rd Tank already, and it's throwing a rock at me... fuck it, I'm pouring the last can."

Bring me back for future Expert excursions, though; I'll make a more concerted effort to make sure you escape the finales.

Launch

Banned
Moved up in difficulty for the first time today (to advanced), didn't seem to make any difference from normal though? Played with three French guys who were kind enough to type instructions and advice to me in English :D

Launch said:
Moved up in difficulty for the first time today (to advanced), didn't seem to make any difference from normal though? Played with three French guys who were kind enough to type instructions and advice to me in English :D
Advanced has a nice bite to it, but it's not a huge leap from normal. Now, expert will try and tear your face off. That first step's a doozy.

srenity

Neo Member
Thanks for the link Red Scarlet, I joined just now :D

RocketDarkness said:
You and Red will become fast friends, methink.

EDIT: Hey look, there she is. What timezone are you? Red and I are PST, I'm near LA, and I always forget exactly where Red is situated.
I'm PST as well (Irvine-ish area).

Twig

Banned
Doesn't Nabs use Mumble to talk with people, instead of in-game voice chat? So he might be talking shit about you while you're playing with him!

(I have no idea if what I say is even remotely grounded in reality. And I don't care!)

Red Scarlet

I dunno...

Can only recall you talking when watching a demo by Stallion.

We should do another arcade stick game though since bleed out ends tomorrow. I've still not done The Parish on bleed out.

Red Scarlet said:
I dunno...

Can only recall you talking when watching a demo by Stallion.

We should do another arcade stick game though since bleed out ends tomorrow. I've still not done The Parish on bleed out.
I have an arcade stick too! Or I could try using a flight stick. XD

Oreoleo

Mo the Hawk said:
Sorry to Oreoleo and Jangaroo for leaving you two behind at the DedCen finale there. I was just like, "we're on our 3rd Tank already, and it's throwing a rock at me... fuck it, I'm pouring the last can."

Bring me back for future Expert excursions, though; I'll make a more concerted effort to make sure you escape the finales.

Heh, not a big deal. At 5:30am, when you hear that tank coming and 2 teammates are already incapped you have to make a choice :p Sorry if I seemed upset post-game, I got over it pretty quickly.

Red Scarlet

Wonder if O saw my post from awhile back...

Is the Parish finale supposed to be way broken on bleed out? The first enemy I saw was the Tank, who blocked and punched me, then I saw 2 zombies right before the plane. Guess it's a waaaaay easy way for people to get the <3 minutes achieve (3 ppl I was with got it).

derFeef

Curious what mutation we are getting today. Also - would be happy to finish the campaigns on expert some time. Did not get it in L4D1 so maybe I can finally achieve it here, as I get better I think, right, HK? ;)

Red Scarlet

derFeef said:
Curious what mutation we are getting today. Also - would be happy to finish the campaigns on expert some time. Did not get it in L4D1 so maybe I can finally achieve it here, as I get better I think, right, HK? ;)

We can do it in both, I've helped Australian folks do campaigns on expert!

IIRC the new mutation is 'follow the liter', think it's that scavenge one where teams can only carry one can at a time or something.

Oreoleo

Red Scarlet said:

I did. Honestly I feel like things were made into a bigger deal than they really were; I know what it's like to get wrapped up in a game. You have nothing to be sorry for <3 <3

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Mo the Hawk said:

Don't even think about it. I'm just glad we finished the finale. But man, that third tank had to spawn at the worst possible moment.

Red Scarlet

Orellio said:
I did. Honestly I feel like things were made into a bigger deal than they really were; I know what it's like to get wrapped up in a game. You have nothing to be sorry for <3 <3

Ok cool, we should play some camps sometime then.

Game and blog are updated.

New Mutation
Follow the Liter
Scavenge one can at a time.
No more fighting over what cans to grab first. This Mutation spawns only one group of cans at a time, so survivors know exactly where to go. There is only one problem: the Infected know exactly where they are going.

LANDSLIDE VICTORY!!!
Last week's poll asking if we should make Realism Versus a permanent mode ended up telling us clearly - make it permanent. The final results were 68% Yes, 21% No, and 11% No Opinion. Thanks everyone for voting, even those of you who have no opinion. Next week we will have news on when this Mutation will become permanent.

Grr was hoping it'd be made permanent immediately. Damn you, Valve!

Blizzard

Banned
I got a popup about L4D2 updating and L4D2 addon support updating, about the same time that I was adding the left 4 mario vpk file.

Now it says installation completed...1% every time I try to launch L4D2. I've tried restarting Steam and get the same thing. It always ends up saying installation incomplete, with (20) or (10). :(

vazel

Banned
Blizzard said:
I got a popup about L4D2 updating and L4D2 addon support updating, about the same time that I was adding the left 4 mario vpk file.

Now it says installation completed...1% every time I try to launch L4D2. I've tried restarting Steam and get the same thing. It always ends up saying installation incomplete, with (20) or (10). :(
I'm getting the same bs.

Blizzard

Banned
I also got a your account is logged in somewhere else error...can that happen if you try to restart Steam too quickly or something? :( It was kinda scary so I changed my password (and I have my account registered to an email).

*edit* Deleting ClientRegistry.blob and verifying the 7GB of cache integrity for L4D2 addon support didn't help anything. Looks like Valve has been amazing with their updates breaking things the last month or so. :lol

Spl1nter

Blizzard said:

same. maybe it has something to do with the mutation?

Spl1nter

Revolutionary said:
Weird, it's working fine for me.. but I got the update like 30 minutes ago.

Maybe the Steam servers are just getting swamped as usual?

Looking at the steam forums it seems that its because the servers are over capacity

andycapps

Blizzard said:

Same

Follow the Liter is cool, I guess. It's basically really low scoring Scavenge rounds because they spawn fairly far away each time and leave you with little room for error.

I want my Realism Versus, though! Dammit, Valve!

Blizzard

Banned
Revolutionary said:
Follow the Liter is cool, I guess. It's basically really low scoring Scavenge rounds because they spawn fairly far away each time and leave you with little room for error.

I want my Realism Versus, though! Dammit, Valve!
I thought there was already a mod that did like 13/15 of the mutations. I guess that requires a custom server to run it? I figure someone like vert could run it.

*edit* The game works now for me.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Red Scarlet said:

Is the Parish finale supposed to be way broken on bleed out? The first enemy I saw was the Tank, who blocked and punched me, then I saw 2 zombies right before the plane. Guess it's a waaaaay easy way for people to get the <3 minutes achieve (3 ppl I was with got it).

Only two red. I was there and I had it.

MASSES DEMAND MUTATIONS

Valve today announced that nearly a half million members of the Left 4 Dead 2 (L4D2) community have voted to add a permanent new Mutation (aka game mode) to L4D2; Realism Versus. Realism Versus combines the rules of Versus and Realism Modes to create a Versus game that requires the best in Survivor teamwork.

With the release of the DLC "The Passing" last month, L4D2 has seen weekly new Mutations released every Friday. The excitement and response to Realism Versus was so overwhelming a Poll was added for the in-game blog which simply asked: "Should the Mutation be permanent?"

This week's Mutation is "Follow the Liter." The rules of Scavenge have changed. Only one group of cans spawn at a time, so survivors know exactly where to go. There is only one problem; the Infected know exactly where they are going.

The weekly Mutations are available to all owners of Left 4 Dead 2's "The Passing" DLC, available on PC and Xbox 360.

There you have it, Realism Versus is permanent.

Except for realism versus, mutations are not impressing.

This latest one encourages survivors to stay together while grabbing cans. That defeats the whole purpose of scavenge, which is to take risks and split up in order to complete it faster.

I'd say no to Bleed Out being a permanent game mode.

No, you would ask for a model that let it be played constantly, because variety always wins.

Edit:

This latest one encourages survivors to stay together while grabbing cans. That defeats the whole purpose of scavenge, which is to take risks and split up in order to complete it faster

Wait, what?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
wayward archer said:
Except for realism versus, mutations are not impressing.

This latest one encourages survivors to stay together while grabbing cans. That defeats the whole purpose of scavenge, which is to take risks and split up in order to complete it faster.

Umm no. It doesnt defeat the purpose at all. It just plays differently. A good scavenge team sticks together and tries to get the max amount of cans each run without going far away.

Volcynika

afternoon delight said:
No, you would ask for a model that let it be played constantly, because variety always wins.

Not really. The whole idea with realism VS is that it got a ton of response to be a permanent game mode since people really liked it. I haven't heard of something like Bleed Out getting support like that. Me and my friends thought it was kinda cool, but a couple times and that was all the interest we had in it. Variety doesn't mean much if not too many people want to play a certain mode. And due to the fact we're getting a total of around 20ish mutations in the end, I'd rather not clutter up the game interface with modes that didn't turn out as fun as they might've sounded.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Volcynika said:
Not really. The whole idea with realism VS is that it got a ton of response to be a permanent game mode since people really liked it. I haven't heard of something like Bleed Out getting support like that. Me and my friends thought it was kinda cool, but a couple times and that was all the interest we had in it. Variety doesn't mean much if not too many people want to play a certain mode. And due to the fact we're getting a total of around 20ish mutations in the end, I'd rather not clutter up the game interface with modes that didn't turn out as fun as they might've sounded.

Better interface!

Top Bottom