• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

One tiny question regarding the original Left 4 Dead.

I remember reading about a new DLC that would come one month after the realease of "The Passing". Anything about that? I know, "Valve time" and bla bla, but I feel cheated....... again. :(

Red Scarlet

DisenLedZep said:
One tiny question regarding the original Left 4 Dead.

I remember reading about a new DLC that would come one month after the realease of "The Passing". Anything about that? I know, "Valve time" and bla bla, but I feel cheated....... again. :(

It's supposedly still coming, but I don't think a date was ever really given/concrete.

Red Scarlet said:
It's supposedly still coming, but I don't think a date was ever really given/concrete.

Thanks Scarlet. Guess I'll wait more for the E3 "surprise" announcement.
I feel like Valve has too many things on their hands nowadays. Not sure if they can keep up with everything... maybe (Valve Time)^2

firex

dark_inferno said:
l4d3l.jpg
As long as 3 characters are black, 2 guys and 1 girl, and the guys are voiced by Wood Harris and Michael K Williams and the girl is voiced by Sonja Sohn, it would be the greatest L4D game yet.

Annihilator said:
Question: So with that chainsaw mutation I was able to get a few achievements (tank burger and beating parish finale in under 3 minutes) and was wondering if you play the chainsaw mutation on expert does it count towards surviving the campaigns on expert achievement?

I'll answer my own question. It does count playing with mutations.

Sibylus

Banned
Working on my random item crates again. So I replaced my static crate prop with The Passing's foot locker prop, now it'll open when you access it. Stuck some item spawns inside as well, figured this would be the best place for the rare item you don't craft.

Oh, and I devised a delicious complication. What with these lockers of goodies lying around in the zombie apocalypse, don't you think at least a few people would try to protect their loot? Basically: any time you open an orange locker, there's roughly a 17% chance that a gas can spawns inside the locker and bursts immediately, setting the floor on fire. Backing up quickly is recommended in this instance.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Botolf said:
Working on my random item crates again. So I replaced my static crate prop with The Passing's foot locker prop, now it'll open when you access it. Stuck some item spawns inside as well, figured this would be the best place for the rare item you don't craft.

Oh, and I devised a delicious complication. What with these lockers of goodies lying around in the zombie apocalypse, don't you think at least a few people would try to protect their loot? Basically: any time you open an orange locker, there's roughly a 17% chance that a gas can spawns inside the locker and bursts immediately, setting the floor on fire. Backing up quickly is recommended in this instance.

Rigged shotgun sounds more pratical.

Sibylus

Banned
Tanks are cruel bastards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZm9vCN-qaI

HK-47 said:
Rigged shotgun sounds more pratical.
In what sense, gameplay feasibility or zombie apocalypse feasibility? (the former is no issue, it works fine)

Though granted, there's always room for more than one type of booby trap. A rigged gun spawning and detonating an invisible oxygen or propane tank could be an interesting twist on the idea. Any other ideas I might try out?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Botolf said:
Tanks are cruel bastards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZm9vCN-qaI

In what sense, gameplay feasibility or zombie apocalypse feasibility? (the former is no issue, it works fine)

Though granted, there's always room for more than one type of booby trap. A rigged gun spawning and detonating an invisible oxygen or propane tank could be an interesting twist on the idea. Any other ideas I might try out?

Apocalypse. Its deters looters while not putting the contents in harm's way.

Sibylus

Banned
HK-47 said:
Apocalypse. Its deters looters while not putting the contents in harm's way.
Kinda hard to create a satisfying hazard that wouldn't endanger the loot in RL though. Sure, I could just deduct health via a trigger and describe what happened ("You lost your fingers in a nest of razorwire"), but that'd be pretty damn lame. I need something surprising and thrill-causing, it has to influence how players behave and move. Although I will note that it's possible for me to limit item spawning to non-trap configurations, which would essentially make the trap locker a decoy or lure within the context of the apocalypse (aside from junk, which can be assumed to have been scooped up quickly anyway).

What exactly do you mean by a rigged shotgun?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Botolf said:
Kinda hard to create a satisfying hazard that wouldn't endanger the loot in RL though. Sure, I could just deduct health via a trigger and describe what happened ("You lost your fingers in a nest of razorwire"), but that'd be pretty damn lame. I need something surprising and thrill-causing, it has to influence how players behave and move. Although I will note that it's possible for me to limit item spawning to non-trap configurations, which would essentially make the trap locker a decoy or lure within the context of the apocalypse (aside from junk, which can be assumed to have been scooped up quickly anyway).

You open the door and the shotgun gets you. Its a trade off. Items for health. Maybe come up with an item for dealing with such things that the survs can spend their junk on?

Oh another one could be locked containers that you can use a pipe bomb to blow open and maybe doing so as a chance of ruining some of the items or calling a horde or something.

Red Scarlet

No one did. But going by Mutfox's "hey I'm gonna help them do this finale then we will play" and at least an hour went by...I kinda figured something was up with the map/finale. :lol

Sibylus

Banned
It punished us so very hard ;_;

HK-47 said:
You open the door and the shotgun gets you. Its a trade off. Items for health. Maybe come up with an item for dealing with such things that the survs can spend their junk on?
I know of no way to make a gun shoot on its own. Even if I did, that's really limited utility (couldn't see it being used more than once or twice). Ideally, I want traps that can fit with something the survivors are familiar with (such as foot lockers), and thus something that would be applicable in many different places and scenarios.

Had thoughts about some custom items, but the problem of carrying them over between maps is something I don't have a solution to yet. If I figure out Hard Rain's saved item states, that'll probably go a long way to carrying over the inventory and whatnot.

In the beta wasn't there some kind of event, in the Paris campaign, where the survivors got trapped inside a truck and the zombies where all trying to get in?

I remember something like that happening.

MNC

Botolf said:

As long as the shotgun doesn't deal the same damage as it does in Expert.

Wait, what?

My friend and I were bored out of our minds and sleepy so we were just messing around on the final chapter of The Passing. We put one can in the generator and just started doing dumb shit like burning the original Survivors, etc.

All of a sudden we get that "Get to the car!" or whatever with Skin on Our Teeth playing and we were confused, so we just went to the bridge but it never came down. We got Tanks every five seconds and it was awesome :lol (We were playing on Easy). It ended when we were all incapped.

Does that happen? We're kind of interested in trying it on the other campaigns now.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
dragonlife29 said:
Wait, what?

My friend and I were bored out of our minds and sleepy so we were just messing around on the final chapter of The Passing. We put one can in the generator and just started doing dumb shit like burning the original Survivors, etc.

All of a sudden we get that "Get to the car!" or whatever with Skin on Our Teeth playing and we were confused, so we just went to the bridge but it never came down. We got Tanks every five seconds and it was awesome :lol (We were playing on Easy). It ended when we were all incapped.

Does that happen? We're kind of interested in trying it on the other campaigns now.

If you go on a server with space jump, you can break the DC event. However if you dont put gas in and wait for everyone else to pass the elevator (by space jumping, telelporting, or dying), you can manually trigger the event to start like a radio finale, and then collect the cans like normal.

Nabs

new update that fixes/adjusts surivorbots

but this one sounds cool

Car Alarms will now trigger anytime a Special Infected pushes/pulls/rams a Survivor into an alarm car. This change only affects game modes with human-controlled Zombies

MNC

Nabs said:
new update that fixes/adjusts surivorbots

but this one sounds cool

Car Alarms will now trigger anytime a Special Infected pushes/pulls/rams a Survivor into an alarm car. This change only affects game modes with human-controlled Zombies
Didn't that already happen? I mean atleast the pulls from a smoker..

MNC said:
Didn't that already happen? I mean atleast the pulls from a smoker..
Ramming didn't work, and it was wonky with the smoker pulls. I've had a survivor practically laying on his back on one and it didn't go off.

Glad to hear it's been tweaked, gonna test it out shortly. :D

Branduil

Changed Survivorbot item hunting behavior
SurvivorBots now stay closer to human players in all game modes
Fixed Survivorbot navigation issue in The Passing: Riverbank
Fixed bug where a SurvivorBot could become catatonic when attempting to save another Survivor from a Smoker
Fixed condition where SurvivorBots would not enter the saferoom
Increased self-inflicted friendly fire damage from the Grenade Launcher
Fixed bug where the M60 would reset its ammo if dropped in certain situations
As if grenade launchers didn't suck enough...

Other changes sound good though.

Red Scarlet

I like the car alarm one..nothing more frustrating than it not going off when the survivor is dry humping the car from a pull.

Huh, now I wish I knew about the..infinite ammo m60.

Turfster

Revolutionary said:
Ramming didn't work, and it was wonky with the smoker pulls. I've had a survivor practically laying on his back on one and it didn't go off.
Boomer explosions. It's the only way to make sure.
It's always hilarious to hear them shout in glee when they blow you up in a "safe" place right before the car alarm starts...

Nabs

boomer explosions used to do a lot in l4d1, but got patched out i think. you used to be able to startle the witch with an explosion.

Red Scarlet

Make 1 person a pistoler, it's quite fun (and makes some things a little less wtf). Of course 4 chainsaws is a blast first time. FF-tastic.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Clearly, Stallion is a sentient mosquito.

Also, Valve need to fix the fucking rebuildaudiocache bug. Its makes it impossible to hear custom music and sounds in certain customs, including Death Aboard. And the music is a real tone setter in that campaign.

Zzoram

Nabs said:
boomer explosions used to do a lot in l4d1, but got patched out i think. you used to be able to startle the witch with an explosion.

Boomer slime in general in L4D2 has been nerfed pretty hard. They're barely dangerous now unless you're on Expert.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Zzoram said:
Boomer slime in general in L4D2 has been nerfed pretty hard. They're barely dangerous now unless you're on Expert.

I've boomed someone into the water in Passing. lol insta kill. Clearly we just need more insta kill water.

Volcynika

Dat new blog

http://www.l4d.com/blog/post.php?id=3935

Room For One, Everything Must Go, Favorite Weapon Class

New Mutation
Room For One
Only room for one survivor in this rescue vehicle.

You need to work together only long enough until you can survive on your own. First person to the rescue vehicle wins!

This Mutation is available for Campaign Finales Only.

Everything Must Go
Last week's poll results for the question; If you could remove one item from the Survivors in Versus, what would it be?

PC Results
23% Nothing
19% Medkits
19% Defibs
18% Grenade Launcher
14% Explosive Ammo
7% Incendiary Ammo

Xbox 360 Results
27% Nothing
21% Medkits
18% Defibs
16% Grenade Launcher
11% Explosive Ammo
7% Incendiary Ammo

Overall:
In this kind of Poll we don't consider "Nothing" the winner, as nothing to anything loses in both polls. What it does say is there are many things that people feel strongly about, maybe not strong enough to remove but strong enough that we should make some adjustments. So we are going to be making adjustments.

Favorite Weapon
This week's in-game blog poll is; what is your favorite weapon class?

On the PC this week we are testing increased self-inflicted friendly fire damage for the Grenade Launcher. Will this change balance the Grenade Launcher? Time will tell. We will continue to experiment with changes on both platforms through this process.

Next Week's Mutation: Headshot!

syllogism

Also an update
Left 4 Dead 2
New mutation: Room For One.
Improved SurvivorBot’s ability to support players who stop moving to fight infected.
Improved SurvivorBot’s ability to support players in tight spaces.

Match Making Changes
Server searches for Official Dedicated servers no longer automatically fall back to Best Available. Lobby leaders will be given the option.
Lobby leaders can select "Steam Group Server" as a server option. This will allow them to select individual servers.

Blizzard

Banned
vertopci said:
Who the fuck voted No items to remove on that poll? wtf
23% of people on PC, maybe!

ALso, my performance doesn't seem to be limited to TF2. With multicore rendering enabled, 1680x1050, max settings except for only 4xAA, my 1GB 5850 and 3.0 GHz e8400 only do like 35 fps in hard rain. :( Is that normal?

c4m5_milltown_escape00q081.jpg

Volcynika

srenity said:
This week's mutation seems kind of lame D:

Nah, it's hilarious. The last tank on the regular finale's (not Dead Center / Parish) makes it where people start trying to branch off and get near the finale area. Friend ran off to make an early run right after the tank died and a charger got him, and I was able to make my way to the boat with no issue :D (Hard Rain)

vertopci said:
Who the fuck voted No items to remove on that poll? wtf

I did just for you :D

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Blizzard said:
ALso, my performance doesn't seem to be limited to TF2. With multicore rendering enabled, 1680x1050, max settings except for only 4xAA, my 1GB 5850 and 3.0 GHz e8400 only do like 35 fps in hard rain. :( Is that normal?
I get like 90-120FPS with a 5850 and Q6600 (3.2GHz) at 1920x1200 with 8x AA so it does seem a little low, not sure how much having a quad core helps with L4D2 though.

Top Bottom