• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

Turfster

Holy crap, the bots are even MORE retarded than usual in chainsaw massacre...
Rochelle made it all the way to the last safe room door in Dead Center, then she decided to turn around and go kill a special infected so she jumped down and incapped herself -_-

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Shitty original weapon model FOV of 51:

left4dead22010-06-0416hvo2.jpg

New improved FOV of 65:

left4dead22010-06-0416g8nd.jpg

left4dead22010-06-0416ykp8.jpg

left4dead22010-06-0416gw0u.jpg

Mutation goodness:

left4dead22010-06-0416g8un.jpg

Minamu

What's the most fun mutation so far? Why, it's obviously Chainsaw Massacre! :lol I was a bit surprised at seeing special infected but it was pretty darn good anyway :D Definitely what I needed to get back into the game. Got the Tank Burger achievement on my first Tank :lol

Is it possible to turn off the blood splats from the chainsaws? Talk about distracting when there's 40 zombies in your face...

Chainsaw Massacre is so easy. I'd imagine only expert would be truly tough, especially if you have FF'ing teammates... but I had no issues on Advanced whatsoever, because we'd gang up on the witches or Tanks and take them down in seconds. It's fun, though... but really easy.

srenity

Neo Member
OH SNAP. I forgot today's Friday! Gonna go try the new mutation now xD

Does that mean the Smoker is going to be the most feared SI (since it's a long-ranged grappler)?

srenity said:
OH SNAP. I forgot today's Friday! Gonna go try the new mutation now xD

Does that mean the Smoker is going to be the most feared SI (since it's a long-ranged grappler)?
You can chainsaw the tongue as it grabs you fairly easily, so it's probably the Jockey, if he gets a bit of distance between his prey and the rest of the group.

Minamu

RocketDarkness said:
You can chainsaw the tongue as it grabs you fairly easily, so it's probably the Jockey, if he gets a bit of distance between his prey and the rest of the group.
Yeah, I got Jockey'd 3 times on Dark Carnival and it was a pain in the ass on a grand scale. I also tried to solo kill two witches which got me killed in an instant. And all of this was on Normal :lol Having to rev up the chainsaw every time you change items is really annoying though :( Would've been funny to have the chainsaw while you're down as well, but no.

Sibylus

Banned
New mutator get:

tJDfe.jpg

Aka: a fov of 300.

I concur with Stallion, 65 is a good fov. You see more of your hands without also seeing the invisible bits of the viewmodel.

Twig

Banned
I use 90, because that's what I've always been told to do to avoid motion sickness (which I only actually recently started getting when playing some FPS).

Default is like 75, I think, for most Source games. I... can't imagine playing at 65.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Twig said:
I use 90, because that's what I've always been told to do to avoid motion sickness (which I only actually recently started getting when playing some FPS).

Default is like 75, I think, for most Source games. I... can't imagine playing at 65.
Ha, this has nothing to do with actual fov. It deals with the weapon model exclusively and how it's viewed by the survivor. Your actual view of the world isn't effected at all.

Twig

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Ha, this has nothing to do with actual fov. It deals with the weapon model exclusively and how it's viewed by the survivor. Your actual view of the world isn't effected at all.
OH.

In that case I'll just step back and learn. U:

Blizzard

Banned
I guess there is not an obnoxious way to ask this, so I will just ask. Do any NeoGAF people play L4D2 vs on servers that are not vert's?

I have been told by Stallion that no one likes playing with me and I am basically not allowed on the server, and while I would like to optimistically think that surely someone out there would not mind playing with me, it is also the server with the "fucking faggot" motd, and I would prefer to use other ones.

I also am not very good at the game (I have still not played through the carnival or heavy rain campaigns), so I guess I am wondering if anyone plays vs and also has room for people who are not very good on a competitive level. I can be a decent teammate in games like TF2, but I tend to avoid hardcore competitive video game scenes since I suppose I play games more for fun and relaxation.

I realize I waited a long time to buy L4D2, so I suppose I cannot be blamed if no one neogaf plays on other servers, but it seems like the only people who do use that one, and I don't play a lot of campaign.

Danneee

I'm actually starting to hate this game, or steam. Why the hell do it have to re-download the whole effin game once a week or something?! I've got a 20gb cap on my mobile broadband and I rather not see it going to useless shit like this. Yeah I know I can turn off autoupdating and I did but it didn't seem to work in this case. Ugh, just venting my rage :)

Red Scarlet

? the updates don't redl the game..that's bizarre.

I know lots do, Blizzard, they just rarely or don't post in the thread. Could try pubbing and make some pals that way, worked for me.

Twig

Banned
Blizzard said:
I guess there is not an obnoxious way to ask this, so I will just ask. Do any NeoGAF people play L4D2 vs on servers that are not vert's?

I have been told by Stallion that no one likes playing with me and I am basically not allowed on the server, and while I would like to optimistically think that surely someone out there would not mind playing with me, it is also the server with the "fucking faggot" motd, and I would prefer to use other ones.

I also am not very good at the game (I have still not played through the carnival or heavy rain campaigns), so I guess I am wondering if anyone plays vs and also has room for people who are not very good on a competitive level. I can be a decent teammate in games like TF2, but I tend to avoid hardcore competitive video game scenes since I suppose I play games more for fun and relaxation.

I realize I waited a long time to buy L4D2, so I suppose I cannot be blamed if no one neogaf plays on other servers, but it seems like the only people who do use that one, and I don't play a lot of campaign.
news to me

U:

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Danneee said:
I'm actually starting to hate this game, or steam. Why the hell do it have to re-download the whole effin game once a week or something?! I've got a 20gb cap on my mobile broadband and I rather not see it going to useless shit like this. Yeah I know I can turn off autoupdating and I did but it didn't seem to work in this case. Ugh, just venting my rage :)
...the update yesterday was around 20 mb?

Volcynika said:
Next Week's Mutation: Room For One (Only one survivor can get on the rescue vehicle)

What's the point of that? The whole campaign will play exactly the same apart from the last minute or so.

I'm guessing that you're supposed to just hold out in the finale until there's only one person left, but since tanks spawn endlessly when the rescue vehicle arrives, it just means the "winner" is the person the tank decides to go after last. Or worse, you just have all the survivors shooting each other.

And besides, why wouldn't you just play Survival instead?

Man, just hurry up with Versus Survival already, and then hold a vote so we can make it a permanent mode.

Oh, and out of curiosity, what did people vote for in the poll this week (which item would you remove from the survivors in Versus)? I voted for Med Kits, as they're the only item that would really make a real difference if removed. It would also be nice to see defibs suddenly become coveted and useful.

Twig

Banned
Ben2749 said:
I'm guessing that you're supposed to just hold out in the finale until there's only one person left.
More like you're supposed to destroy each other in the race for survival.

It will be grand.

Volcynika said:
You sure do complain a lot.

The whole idea of mutations is to put a huge or slight spin on normal play.

Considering the last time I posted in this topic was over two weeks ago (where I was praising several of the mutations), and the last "complaint" I made in this topic was over a *month* ago, your definition of "a lot" is clearly off.

And as I already explained, my whole point is that Room For One *won't* put any real spin on the game at all. Like I said, the entire campaign will play exactly the same, save for the last minute or so. And even if did make that last few minute play incredibly different, a mutation that only comes into effect for roughly 0.05% of the duration of a game hardly seems worth it. And considering that all the players could decide to implement this personal goal into a standard game, that definitely undermines the whole point of mutations putting a spin on normal play.

Twig said:

It will be grand.

I'm all for mutations that are designed to turn the survivors against each other, but surely with a bit of thought, there are *much* better ideas? Surely everybody here has been in a group that decided to goof around and kill each other. It's certainly not fun enough to stick onto the end of a campaign and label as a mutation.

Unless... I just thought; maybe Room For One might also make it so that only one survivor can enter each safehouse in each normal level too? The description doesn't make that sound likely (it specifically just refers to the rescue vehicle), but if that is the case, then I'll happily agree that would make for an interesting mutation, as it would be a literal race for the survivors in every level, and you'd have to decide between helping stragglers (and therefore maximising you own chances of surviving), or running ahead on your own.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Twig said:

It will be grand.
The TK damage being around the level it is in Advanced difficulty seems like it could be a sweet spot for the mode. I look forward to it quite a bit.

I also like Ben's idea to make it one person for each safe room as well and the "winner" is whoever gets into the most saferooms/escapes. Or maybe even the winner could get a 5 second head start for each map.

Twig

Banned
Yeah one person per safe room would be a pretty cool addition to the mode.

Agreed on Advanced. In Expert you will go down way too fast and in Normal it takes like an hour to team kill someone. U:

Use private Steam chat to form alliances (let's take down that guy first) like in reality TV shows.

Tehehe.

Blizzard

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
? the updates don't redl the game..that's bizarre.

I know lots do, Blizzard, they just rarely or don't post in the thread. Could try pubbing and make some pals that way, worked for me.
Good point, I guess I just thought some NeoGAF people might still play.

Twig said:
news to me

U:
:lol At least I spend more than five minutes on the server at a time! :U

Minamu said:
Where are you from Blizzard?
I should have mentioned that -- I'm east coast USA.

Twig said:

It will be grand.
Stallion Free said:
The TK damage being around the level it is in Advanced difficulty seems like it could be a sweet spot for the mode. I look forward to it quite a bit.

I also like Ben's idea to make it one person for each safe room as well and the "winner" is whoever gets into the most saferooms/escapes. Or maybe even the winner could get a 5 second head start for each map.
And that's pretty similar to what people used to do with versus race/"gauntlet" stuff in L4D1. I miss doing that.

Stallion Free said:

Upon further thought, there's several ways they could do it.

1) The level ends as soon as the first person enters the safehouse.

2) Have a point-based system. 4 points if you make it to the safehouse first, 3 if you're second, 2 if you're third, and 1 if you're last. 0 if you don't make it at all. Points are added up at the end of the campaign.

3) Everybody can enter the safehouse, but the door can't be closed until there's only one survivor left alive/standing.

I prefer the third way, assuming that there was no friendly fire (otherwise the game would just degenerate into survivors shooting each other, which isn't particularly fun or creative, nor does it necessitate a mutation for people to implement). It would mean that in the event several people make it to the safehouse, you'd be forced to open the door to let the Infected in, meaning every safehouse would play like a crescendo event/mini survival mode. And then the last person would actually still have to shut the door when everybody else was dead.

Ben2749 said:
Man, just hurry up with Versus Survival already, and then hold a vote so we can make it a permanent mode.
God, yes--to both points. I really, really hope it becomes permanent. This is really the only Mutation that gets me wet at the thought of it.

As for the poll, I voted Med Kits since I want Versus matches to go by faster.

Red Scarlet

Stallion Free said:
You could come play with us. We roll with pills only and realism. Shit is hardcore.

He doesn't have a PC capable of playing the game yet. :(

Is the thing that people are excited about Vs Survival the fact that they will eventually kill the survivors no matter what?

Oh, I bet the timer comes into it, so who lasts longest..yeah that could be pretty fun w/ non-pubs.

Twig

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
He doesn't have a PC capable of playing the game yet. :(

Is the thing that people are excited about Vs Survival the fact that they will eventually kill the survivors no matter what?

Oh, I bet the timer comes into it, so who lasts longest..yeah that could be pretty fun w/ non-pubs.
Sounds fun to me just because it's no longer a race to the finish, but is literally a fight to see how long you can last. Or how quick you can take them out, if you're infected.

Sibylus

Banned
Yeah, trying to stop a race isn't as much fun as trying to break a survivor team's stronghold. Had a brief experience with the latter in a 10v10 server on Dead Center, the survivors hid in the cola store during the event and so it basically turned into Survival mode. I had a blast as a special infected even though I died a lot.

Survival Versus could be awesome so long as they don't tamper with the zombie and Special Infected count or spawn frequency. It wouldn't be as fun anymore if there's only one Jockey / Tank / Smoker / whatever at a time now that human players are involved on the other side, and I wouldn't be surprised if Valve ignored their bot support for this.

That said, Realism Scavenger (whenever that hits) should be permanent too.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
They updated City 17, SPace Jockeys and 2 evil eyes on l4dmaps, plus they added all the modified L4d1 maps. BH is playable but has a missing skybox. Dead Air and Death seems pretty solid. CC, forget it on that one. No Mercy is the most polished of the bunch

Question: So with that chainsaw mutation I was able to get a few achievements (tank burger and beating parish finale in under 3 minutes) and was wondering if you play the chainsaw mutation on expert does it count towards surviving the campaigns on expert achievement?

Top Bottom