• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

Volcynika

New blog.

Headshot!, This is my Rifle, Pick Your Mutation

Headshot!
The only shot that counts is the one in the head.

Shoot them in the arm, shoot them in the leg, shoot them in the chest - it just doesn't matter! The only way these zombies are going down is with a head shot. Other hits will stumble them back, but only a head shot or decapitation will kill them.

This Mutation is available for Campaign Mode.

This is my Rifle
Last week's poll results for the question; Pick your favorite Weapon Class.

The results were very similar between the PC and Xbox 360. Everyone picked the Assault Rifle class as their favorite and Auto-Shotguns next. The third and fourth choices are where the two platforms differed. Xbox users preferred Melee weapons and then Sniper Rifles and PC users went with Sniper Rifles then Melee weapons. Is this where the controller Vs. mouse/keyboard makes a difference?

The rest of the field in order of popularity: Shotguns, Grenade Launcher, SMG, and Pistols.

Pick your Mutation
It's time to pick your favorite Mutation! Vote for next week's Encore Mutation.
Last Man On Earth, Chain Saw Massacre, Room For One, or Headshot!

Also in This Update
We have the first of our planned Versus Changes. These changes will appear on the PC and later on the Xbox 360.

While not removing Defibrillators, we have made some changes to them. We scaled dynamic Defibs based on map length. This means unless the Defib was expressly set by the level designer to have more, the Director will only spawn them on a long map. The Director will also cap the number to one per map.

Using the Defibrillator is no longer free; there is now a 25 point scoring penalty for using a Defib. That means each time you use one, you will have 25 points removed from your final score. Will your revived Survivor make it far enough to be worth it?

Health kits will also be less numerous as we have removed the Director's dynamic Pill conversion. Previously if the first team was injured, the Director would spawn First Aid Kits instead of Pills for both teams. Now the Director will always just spawn Pills.

The Jockey received some minor buffs. His damage per second was increased and we removed his damage delay.

Blizzard

Banned
GAF has been up and down all day (world cup?) so it's hard to post. ;_;

Yay jockey buff. I want overpowered sniper rifles! Listen to the...not-really-masses! Also, can anyone else launch L4D2 now? I tried restarting my client but I'm getting some error about an incomplete installation. Or is that just another way of saying the servers are too busy? *edit* Verified files, which takes forever and locks the client, then it still failed. I guess just retrying install enough finally made it work.

Volcynika

Blizzard said:
GAF has been up and down all day (world cup?) so it's hard to post. ;_;

Yay jockey buff. I want overpowered sniper rifles! Listen to the...not-really-masses! Also, can anyone else launch L4D2 now? I tried restarting my client but I'm getting some error about an incomplete installation. Or is that just another way of saying the servers are too busy?

If you get an incomplete install message, just verify the integrity of your files.

Blizzard

Banned
I loaded it up, voted, then quit, and vista home premium 64 just bluescreened (win32k.sys?). I'm not sure I've ever even seen that happen. :lol I tried the same steps again and it didn't at least...

Nice changes, but what does this mean exactly:
- Removed Jockey’s damage delay.

Is it about the inability of the jockey to pounce someone after it downed a survivor?

Volcynika

OmegaDragon said:
Nice changes, but what does this mean exactly:
- Removed Jockey’s damage delay.

Is it about the inability of the jockey to pounce someone after it downed a survivor?

Probably just when he starts riding a survivor, it's less time to when he starts dealing damage to them.

vertopci

Oh wtf guys. The vanilla config was fucking perfect. Why would they change it!?!? Those fucking noobs know nothing about balance! Fucking valve is so fail. I don't think I can have fun anymore with this config. And I know this because I have never played it and thus my opinion is more valid than everyone who has played it

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Hopefully someone comes out with a mod or something that restores the pitch perfect, real fun(TM) balance. I'm just don't see how the competitive community can still play the game with these changes.

Blizzard

Banned
vertopci said:
Oh wtf guys. The vanilla config was fucking perfect. Why would they change it!?!? Those fucking noobs know nothing about balance! Fucking valve is so fail. I don't think I can have fun anymore with this config. And I know this because I have never played it and thus my opinion is more valid than everyone who has played it
morningbus said:
Hopefully someone comes out with a mod or something that restores the pitch perfect, real fun(TM) balance. I'm just don't see how the competitive community can still play the game with these changes.
29muov4.jpg

Good, gooooood. Use your anger!

I realize you are presumably attempting clever parody, but I suppose I am unaware of anyone who hates custom configurations without trying them at all?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Blizzard said:
29muov4.jpg

Good, gooooood. Use your anger!

I realize you are presumably attempting clever parody, but I suppose I am unaware of anyone who hates custom configurations without trying them at all?

jar-jar_binks3.jpg

MEESA STEPPED IN THE POOPIE. MEESA RUIN EVERYTHING I TOUCH.

snack

Do any of you still play Normal VS still? Realism VS is so much better! There's no way I can go back to playing Normal ever again.

Turfster

snack said:
Do any of you still play Normal VS still? Realism VS is so much better! There's no way I can go back to playing Normal ever again.
We usually finish off the night with a game of normal versus with alltalk on.
Nothing quite like ducktaunts!

Volcynika

Headshot! is pretty difficult at times. Me and some others did Hard Rain on Normal, and aside from my ping going to shit at random times, we were able to trudge through. Hordes and those attracted by boomer bile were a little rough unless we had a pipe/molotov. Keeping a steady aim and trying to aim high during a swarm of zombies was a challenge. Would've been funnier if all the SI required headshots to do damage to as well :lol

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
snack said:
Nope, the Gaf VS crew never plays normal anymore unless Valve releases patches that reset Vert's server configs.

Blizzard

Banned
Turfster said:
It's not really a GAF crew, altho some of us do post here.
To be honest, most of you guys sound way too hardcore for us ^^;;
Sounds perfect for me, since I know hardly anyone who plays vs. mode that's not on vert's server. What's your Steam ID, if you accept newcomers who don't know the maps very well? :p

Melee is pretty fun in the headshot mutation. Makes me wish in the non-mutation game normal infected could take several hits before they go down.

Realism almost does this right, but in headshot the melee feels even better to me.

Concept17

I only play on vanilla servers with my brother, and a small group of us that play pretty regularly together. Skill varies from 'okay' to 'damn good' if that makes any sense. We're good enough to compete with some of the better teams out there...but we rarely actually play that well as we tend to take things fairly casually. We pretty much just play for fun. (and enjoy giving each other shit) Pretty much all of us use mics except for me sadly. Funny enough I'm probably the best of us too. :lol

If anyone is looking for a game, usually later in the evening, feel free to add me...
http://steamcommunity.com/id/aicos17 (I think I'm at about 340 hours now)

I got 8:54:numbers in Survival on the Bridge map by myself on my first try :eek: I haven't tried [alone] since; but what's funny is that I invited my friend to play but we only managed 8:50:numbers :lol

Anyway, I brought that up because--as is the norm, I think--we were getting bored so we wanted to kill ourselves. Anyway, I messed up and hung on to the fence on the right of the upper level but the bots didn't respond at all. We tried again (this time both of us) and they still wouldn't respond--they just stood in the same spot.

This was on the 360. I'm kind of curious if that happens on the PC...anyone want to try? I dunno, I thought it was pretty funny.

Red Scarlet

Try some 2 player stuff..had fun doing 2 player expert on part 1, and 2 player advanced realism on part 2. Decided to try tier 1's 2 player expert earlier this week now.

I've been getting back into this lately but I can't seem to find any good Vs. games. Even if it says there's 5 lobbies (which still seems really low) I often can't connect to any of them, and when I do it's usually just me and a host and it takes about ten minutes for the rest of the lobby to fill up.

I have a fast connection so it can't be that, and I'm in the UK so it's not as if there's a lack of players in my region. Why do so few games show up for me and does everyone else find themselves waiting 10-15 minutes before they can get into a match?

It seems like the matchmaking system is simply broken.

It's been a while since I've played public VS, but I experienced the same thing mostly. Just a few lobbies per campaign and when you do connect it's mostly empty. When I wanted to played Headshot on advanced, there were 3 lobbies for a campaign and it would reject everyone of them. Pretty annoying.

That said, the friends VS games I play take ages to begin as well.

Yeah, it's even more annoying when the game has horribly unbalanced teams or is full of ragers :(

BTW can I add you. Can't find you in the Steam ID thread and I'm always looking for someone to play VS with. Plus the last few days I'm playing with a nice group that usually has some slots open (see my last line in previous post) and I can never seem to find people to invite :p Profile

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Foliorum Viridum said:
I'm really not very good though, and just play for fun, which is why I'm a pub player. Most people in this thread seem like they're super hardcore. :lol
I was just like you when I joined the Gaf VS group. We are far from pro. We are actually pretty casual.

drkOne

Stallion Free said:
I was just like you when I joined the Gaf VS group. We are far from pro. We are actually pretty casual.
Yeah, you didn't say that to me! I still remember you and vert going "This is serious! Don't ruin it for us!" :(
Bunch of meanies :(

I'll just say that some stuff I found myself incapable of doing on pub games, it's much easier to pull off on GAF matches because of how well everyone works together. So to whoever considers themselves good players on pubs, it shouldn't be too much of a stretch to play at our level.
Even if there's some stuff you aren't used to, it shouldn't be that hard to catch up.

The first time I played with vert and Nabs was around the time I started caring about damage pounces and not just landing them, I also rushed all my Tanks, etc… so yeah.

Volcynika

Blog

http://www.l4d.com/blog/post.php?id=3989

WEEK 10
June 25, 2010 - L4D Team

Chainsaw Massacre, Encore Week Voting, Do You Play On More than One?, Have You Earned a New Friend?

Chainsaw Massacre
4 chainsaws, millions of zombies.

You are armed with the only thing you need to survive a Zombie Apocalypse, a chainsaw. Rip apart thousands of zombies on your way to safety.

This Mutation is available in Campaign Mode.

Encore Week Voting
On the Xbox 360 Chainsaw Massacre won the voting by a large margin. Chainsaw Massacre earned 44% of the vote, Last Man On Earth 26%, Headshot! 20% and Room For One 10%.

On the PC the voting was much closer with Chainsaw Massacre winning by only 500 votes! Chainsaw Massacre earned 33% of the vote, Headshot! 32%, Last Man On Earth 22%, and Room For One 13%.

Do you play on more than one platform?
We often hear people say that they play Left 4 Dead 1 or Left 4 Dead 2 on both the PC and Xbox 360. We are curious, for how many people is this true? Do you own either L4D1 or L4D2 on the Xbox 360 and the PC?

Have You Earned a New Friend?
Xbox 360 owners who have been playing the Mutations may have noticed a new Avatar award. You only need to play 6 Mutations to earn everyone’s favorite Gnome. With 8 Mutations released and 12 more to go, time to get cracking on that Avatar award. How cool does the Gnome look with your Avatar? Does he clash with your cat makeup? Show off your Avatar and Gnome by posting a screen shot of both on our Left 4 Dead 2 Facebook page.

vazel

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/FoliorumViridum

I'm really not very good though, and just play for fun, which is why I'm a pub player. Most people in this thread seem like they're super hardcore. :lol
Haha don't worry half the people in the GAF VS games are mediocre to suck. I suck horribly these days too. I don't know what happened to me I wasn't always that bad. When I first started playing the L4D games I sucked, but then I got better, but now I suck again.

Top Bottom