• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

Chainsaw Massacacre is so fun. It makes The Bridge finale really easy though. I basically just ran with my chainsaw going and nothing came close to stopping me. Made to the helicopter in record time. :lol

Noobish question: I assume Mutation is a different game mode every week? As I said, I'm just returning to the game. Cool concept, if so.

Red Scarlet

Yeah, that's what they are. Chainsaw won the repeat vote; they'll go through 3 (each lasts Friday-Thusday), then have a vote on the favorite of the 3, then they repeat with a new set of 3.

Spl1nter

Red Scarlet said:
Yeah, that's what they are. Chainsaw won the repeat vote; they'll go through 3 (each lasts Friday-Thusday), then have a vote on the favorite of the 3, then they repeat with a new set of 3.

Mutations have been bleh so far other then versus realism. This month was just horrible. Still the worst was the scavenge mutation. It was worse then normal scavenge...

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
They have just been surprisingly uninteresting. The idea is neat, but I just can't bring myself to actually play them for more than a map or two.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
srenity said:
+1

What did you guys think of Bleed Out? I wish I tried it when I had the chance :\
It was interesting. Certainly more fun and different than most of the game types so far.

Zeke

I'm so sick of public games TK's and Rambo's are the only players I ever get stuck with. I've also been booted out of games as soon I get into the level numerous times. I got hit by a smoker in the second lvl of Dead Center as soon as I left the safe room and despite having a teammate next to me he ignored me and let me die. I really like this game but the online community is awful.

Spl1nter

Stallion Free said:
They have just been surprisingly uninteresting. The idea is neat, but I just can't bring myself to actually play them for more than a map or two.

This. Yes having a chainsaw was fun for one play through but then after that it was just blah.

Blizzard

Banned
Chainsawing on advanced worked better than expert realism. Unfortunately teammates get in the way and actually hitting exactly what you want to with a chainsaw can be a challenge even with 60ish ping...or at least not hitting teammates you can't see while standing still.

Red Scarlet

Neat, finally saw him in a regular game.
c1m4_atrium0020.jpg

Bleed Out wasn't bad, and I'm a masochist so I liked Last Man on Earth, if only to try for 0 damage runs.

vazel

Banned
dark_inferno said:
WTF >.< L4D2 is broken. Cant play the game (it just crashes every time i want to play a game) >.<
Whenever games crash for me at startup starting them in -windowed mode through launch options fixes it.

JoeBoy101

Red Scarlet said:
c1m4_atrium0020.jpg

Bleed Out wasn't bad, and I'm a masochist so I liked Last Man on Earth, if only to try for 0 damage runs.

Ironically, I just saw him last night too. Was cutting up zombies (chainsaw massacre) and noticed the clothes. Suddenly, I just blurted out, 'Hey! It's Jimmy Gibbs!'

Though we had one gas can left for the car, the rest of the team stopped to pay their respects.

Spl1nter

Blizzard said:
Chainsawing on advanced worked better than expert realism. Unfortunately teammates get in the way and actually hitting exactly what you want to with a chainsaw can be a challenge even with 60ish ping...or at least not hitting teammates you can't see while standing still.

This lol.

Me: (Standing still chainsawing everything in front of me)
Buddy: Dude wtf why you chainsawing me?
Me: But you are behind me?!?!

Contacted the steam support. I hope they can help with this Directx9 error >.< (L4D1 works fine... but L4D2 has graphic issues and crashes. Thanks Valve for selling me a broken game)

derFeef

Aw man people do get pissed. A player on my friendslist quit a game and suddenly invites me in 20 groups and I got plenty of spam with nasty insults. No idea what I have done. I set my profile now on private, hope I am safe now.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Picked this up yesterday during the $10 steam sale. I wasn't a fan of the original but for $10 i decided to grab it and see if they had improved it at all. After playing it last night for the first time through campaign 1, they certainly haven't.

This just isn't a game for me, I will try and play through the rest of the campaign over time but i can't see myself falling in love with it, sorry scarlet :D

Nabs said:
Oh please. The game works fine for everyone else, so there's a problem on your end. Start by updating DX. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&displaylang=en

Direct X 9 update (crash), graphic card driver update (crash)

changed shader detail to medium and it worked (but looks like crap)
I had no problems with L4D1 (everything on high and very high)
The Steam support said its a well known problem to them >.<

But now i can play it until the fix comes (and i hope it comes soon)

Turfster

evlcookie said:
Picked this up yesterday during the $10 steam sale. I wasn't a fan of the original but for $10 i decided to grab it and see if they had improved it at all. After playing it last night for the first time through campaign 1, they certainly haven't.

This just isn't a game for me, I will try and play through the rest of the campaign over time but i can't see myself falling in love with it, sorry scarlet :D
Campaigns are pretty boring, most of the fun is in (realism) versus, especially with the new types of infected.
Make sure to give that a try before giving up on it.

Sibylus

Banned
evlcookie said:
You'd be seriously shortchanging the game by making that call after only one campaign, on a single game mode no less. Keep playing and see if it grows on you.

RyanDG

So I just picked up this game and basically jumped head first into the online game and I'm glad that even for a completely new person to the series (never played the first one) it was relatively pain free to get into. I did notice that in all the games there was only a couple of people using mic which in a game like this seems to be rather counter intuitive to the whole co-op/team based experience. I'm sure as I play more - this is likely to change, but I can definitely see where a more organized event will make this game really, really good. Left 4 Dead 2's sale came up at a great time for me though since my Mount and Blade Warband games have been slowing down a bit now that the primary Warband server I played on is nowhere to be found since the last patch...

srenity

Neo Member
Have you guys played http://www.ihatemountains.com/ map yet? Maybe it's because my buddies like to play it on expert, but there's a huge cluster of commons coming at you during hordes and special infected appear and recover more often. The map's also super dark so it's pretty frightening whenever you have to melee or reload.

We finally reached the finale last night and can't find the best place to camp after we summon the rescue copter. Anyone who played the map up to this point know a good camping area?

srenity said:
Have you guys played http://www.ihatemountains.com/ map yet? Maybe it's because my buddies like to play it on expert, but there's a huge cluster of commons coming at you during hordes and special infected appear and recover more often. The map's also super dark so it's pretty frightening whenever you have to melee or reload.

We finally reached the finale last night and can't find the best place to camp after we summon the rescue copter. Anyone who played the map up to this point know a good camping area?

I played it a couple(?) weeks ago on advanced and thought it was great. Camped in the stairway of the house pictured during the finale.

srenity

Neo Member
blackMamba1187 said:
I played it a couple(?) weeks ago on advanced and thought it was great. Camped in the stairway of the house pictured during the finale.

Oh! Is that the house where the guns+health kits are? Oh god, I didn't even realize it and that should've been the obvious giveaway :lol

Thanks! We'll try it in our next session :3

srenity said:

Honestly, I almost never play on Expert for custom campaigns, as even for campaigns such as I Hate Mountains, which is an extremely good custom campaign, they all still seem way longer than any official campaign, resulting in getting worn down too quickly.

vertopci

evlcookie said:

That's because you are playing campaign and not versus.

RyanDG said:
So I just picked up this game and basically jumped head first into the online game and I'm glad that even for a completely new person to the series (never played the first one) it was relatively pain free to get into. I did notice that in all the games there was only a couple of people using mic which in a game like this seems to be rather counter intuitive to the whole co-op/team based experience. I'm sure as I play more - this is likely to change, but I can definitely see where a more organized event will make this game really, really good. Left 4 Dead 2's sale came up at a great time for me though since my Mount and Blade Warband games have been slowing down a bit now that the primary Warband server I played on is nowhere to be found since the last patch...

You should play some versus with us gaffers. We all have mics!

Salaadin

Having only played the first campaign in single player, I must say that I LOVE the use of sound in this game. It gives you that feeling of "I know where the zombies are...but I dont know where the zombies are!" until the zombies start rushing you.

This game isnt really meant to be THAT scary in the way that RE or Dead Space is supposed to be but I think its given me that unnerving feeling more than either of those games (RE4 at least, Dead Space freaked me quite a few times). Its very atmospheric without trying too hard.

The mechanics are insanely easy to get into too. Im still learning the different noises and looks of the zombies though.

srenity

Neo Member
RocketDarkness said:
Honestly, I almost never play on Expert for custom campaigns, as even for campaigns such as I Hate Mountains, which is an extremely good custom campaign, they all still seem way longer than any official campaign, resulting in getting worn down too quickly.
This is why I wanted to go to Advanced but my friends are like "C'mon, expert (realism, if applicable) is the only way we do it!" D: Even though it took us about two hours (and two different sessions) to finally reached IHM's finale last night; we're still enjoying it!

Any suggestions on another custom campaign after we finish this one?

srenity said:
This is why I wanted to go to Advanced but my friends are like "C'mon, expert (realism, if applicable) is the only way we do it!" D: Even though it took us about two hours (and two different sessions) to finally reached IHM's finale last night; we're still enjoying it!

Any suggestions on another custom campaign after we finish this one?
Night Terror, definitely. It's a very clever campaign with some awesome setpieces.

Daigoro

Red Scarlet said:
c1m4_atrium0020.jpg

fucking SWEET!

aw man aw man aw man.

Top Bottom