• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

Red Scarlet

Campaign is fine, not everyone has the need to grief other people (which is what vs is, who can grief better). Both are valid modes.

Pewp

Red Scarlet said:
Campaign is fine, not everyone has the need to grief other people (which is what vs is, who can grief better). Both are valid modes.

All the vs games I've been in have been great. Everyone has microphones, is friendly and helps each other out.

But I do go on late at night, so that may have something to do with it?

Red Scarlet

I have no problems with vs, it's the people that go "oh god, vs is the only mode worth playing".

Record demos of your matches, I'd love to see them, it's always fun to watch.

Survival VS!

http://www.l4d.com/blog/

Versus Survival, Do You Play on More Than One Platrform?, Favorite Finale, Play with Devs.

Versus Survival
Can you survive against your friends?

The first Survivor team sets the time. The second team tries to beat it. Then the first team tries to beat the second team's time. Then the second team tries to beat the first team's time. And then the... you get the idea. Rounds keep switching until someone fails to beat the previous time.

Do you play on more than one platform?

Last week we asked, do you own L4D1 or 2 on the Xbox 360 and PC. 30% of you do play on both the PC and Xbox 360. Xbox 360 users voted 57% No, 33% Yes and 10% Don’t Know. PC users voted 62% No, 29% Yes and 8% Don’t Know.

The Don’t Know votes scare us.

What is your favorite finale?

We previously asked your favorite campaign, but do you like the finales the same?

To vote enter the game, view the in-game blog, and click to vote.

Game with Devs!
Play with Devs games this Friday. We might even be forming Valve teams to take on your team! Look for us all this weekend using steam names - L4D2_DEV_1, L4D2_DEV_2, L4D2_DEV_3, L4D2_DEV_4, L4D2_DEV_5. All valid dev accounts are members of the Valve steam group. Or on the Xbox 360 L4D2 DEV 1, L4D2 DEV 2, L4D2 DEV 3, L4D2 DEV 4, L4D2 DEV 5. Our friends lists are full, but just play Versus Survival and look for us.

Thanks to everyone who submitted Avatar pictures last week. If you haven’t checked them out yet, visit facebook.com/left4dead2 to see them and other cool community content.

Next week's mutation: Four Swordsmen

Blizzard

Banned
I never really liked survival since it seems too much like Tetris, but I would definitely like to try Survival VS if anyone is up for it. :)

OmegaDragon said:
The rounds have lots of specials and multiple tanks :)
Joined up quick game just to see how the latest mutation plays and at the start of the 2nd round my entire team spawned as hunters. Ended in like 15s. :lol

MoFuzz

charsace said:
Anyone down to play tonight est time? Steam name charsace. want to expert run a campaign or 2.
I'm down as long as you don't mind me being in PST. What time do you usually play?

MoFuzz

charsace said:
I can play any time tonight. Just pm me. probably will be 11 est.
Will add you on Steam when I get home from work. If we can do it just a bit earlier, that'd be nice, cuz I should really be studying, but... I'll probably play anyways. :lol

charsace

MoFuzz said:
Will add you on Steam when I get home from work. If we can do it just a bit earlier, that'd be nice, cuz I should really be studying, but... I'll probably play anyways. :lol
Earlier is okay with me.

Volcynika

Yeah, the new mutation is pretty amazing. Had fun every time I played it (though I was on the winning team!) Everyone being tanks was :lol

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Here you go Red, 2 for the price of 1:

Here (I forget if I posted this one already) and Here (this was tonight's and, as is par for the course with me, I got distracted and forget to hit record until like, the second map).

Blizzard

Banned
Everyone crashed in the middle of the second game, but until then, it seems quite fun. I guess it's finales only, but the fact that there are lots of special infected is nice for coordination, and there's only so long you can camp against two tanks + hordes and special zombies. :D

*edit* However, being on a team that loses all the time cuz we're terrible is bad and makes everyone rage. :p And the helicopter level seems almost impossible to attack with a good team until you can get a tank to run in. Smokers can't get close due to the water, and jockeys would get killed by autoshotguns presumably. Zombies can't even spawn in the platform or anywhere in front due to line of sight.

Sibylus

Banned
Blizzard said:
Everyone crashed in the middle of the second game, but until then, it seems quite fun. I guess it's finales only, but the fact that there are lots of special infected is nice for coordination, and there's only so long you can camp against two tanks + hordes and special zombies. :D
It's on all the Survival maps.

Blizzard

Banned
So I did notice a couple of things playing a bunch of games tonight. One, I crashed at least twice -- once everyone on the server crashed with no warning, back to the desktop I think. The second time, my hard disk started grinding randomly for like 20 seconds, while I got 10 fps -- this is the sort of thing Vista occasionally does to update superfetch or who knows what at 4 in the morning or something. I alt-tabbed to try to see what was going on, and the game crashed. Then a bit later, two other people crashed out of the game and had to rejoin.

Is that par for the course or is it worse than normal since the update? I think I might have dualcore rendering on.

Also, is it normal for it to take, with no disk activity, like 20-30 seconds after the loading bar goes to full before it goes into a level? Quitting the level and going back to the lobby also seems to show the scoreboard screen for maybe 20 seconds or possibly until I hit escape (in which case I feel dumb :p).

Volc: Gimme a demo. I wanna see my favorite nub play Versus Survival.

morningbus said:
Here you go Red, 2 for the price of 1:

Here (I forget if I posted this one already) and Here (this was tonight's and, as is par for the course with me, I got distracted and forget to hit record until like, the second map).
Downloading!

Nabs

Blizzard said:
Also, is it normal for it to take, with no disk activity, like 20-30 seconds after the loading bar goes to full before it goes into a level? Quitting the level and going back to the lobby also seems to show the scoreboard screen for maybe 20 seconds or possibly until I hit escape (in which case I feel dumb :p).

It could be waiting for the others to load in.

This mutation rocks. I played two maps with a group of 8, the gator village and the bus depot. So much fun. On the gator village map we had to play 5 rounds until the other team couldn't beat the time.

I really hope this will be permanent as well.

scitek

You know Valve is loving this one. This image of the Russian spy chick has been shown all over the news this morning.

2v9ups9.jpg

Blizzard

Banned
So I like the game mode, but I can't help but feel that something is seriously wrong.

I have a stock 3.0 GHz e8400, and a stock 1GB 5850, and vista 64 + 4GB memory. Max settings with 4xMSAA runs anywhere from 30-60 fps basically depending on where I am (with dualcore rendering enabled), at 1680x1050. I tried turning shaders from very high down to high and it seems to run better, but still...shouldn't I be okay?

More annoyingly, I crashed twice tonight, two other people crashed, and once AGAIN tonight I had it where the game suddenly goes down to 10-13 fps, my video card literally spins down, and everything is ultra jerky. If I alt-tab, my hard disk usually goes solid, and sometimes it crashes. The only thing I could even find being accessed is pagefile.sys or whatever, which doesn't make sense since I thought I had memory still unused. After a while it goes back to normal 60 fps or whatever.

Is there something I'm missing?

Also, the normal things I can't figure out are sometimes annoying, like the car I've been punching vanishing right as I'm about to punch it, charger charges gently nudging people aside at medium distance because I guess I need to aim the claw not the charger, and so on.

Do any of you have custom music for Tanks? What do you use? I'm currently on the hunt for the perfect track.

I currently have a Gaga Tank (Just Dance) but am thinking of changing it to Money Honey :D That, or the Pokerap...still gonna leave my options open, though.

Just started up L4D2 for the first time in a few days. Finally! Versus Survival! This better become a permanent mode, as it's the best one yet.

dragonlife29 said:
Do any of you have custom music for Tanks? What do you use? I'm currently on the hunt for the perfect track.

I currently have a Gaga Tank (Just Dance) but am thinking of changing it to Money Honey :D That, or the Pokerap...still gonna leave my options open, though.

If I was going to use custom music for the tank, I'd definitely use this. :D (NSFW)

Played my first few VS games since L4D1. I actually did decently, but it is amazing the amount of fussiness that people through at each other in those matches. Was it always like this and I'm seeing L4D1 through rose-tinted glasses?

Anywho, if anyone is ever up from some action with a middling-to-worse talent for campaign or VS, give me the word.

andycapps

Blizzard said:
So I like the game mode, but I can't help but feel that something is seriously wrong.

I have a stock 3.0 GHz e8400, and a stock 1GB 5850, and vista 64 + 4GB memory. Max settings with 4xMSAA runs anywhere from 30-60 fps basically depending on where I am (with dualcore rendering enabled), at 1680x1050. I tried turning shaders from very high down to high and it seems to run better, but still...shouldn't I be okay?

More annoyingly, I crashed twice tonight, two other people crashed, and once AGAIN tonight I had it where the game suddenly goes down to 10-13 fps, my video card literally spins down, and everything is ultra jerky. If I alt-tab, my hard disk usually goes solid, and sometimes it crashes. The only thing I could even find being accessed is pagefile.sys or whatever, which doesn't make sense since I thought I had memory still unused. After a while it goes back to normal 60 fps or whatever.

Is there something I'm missing?

Also, the normal things I can't figure out are sometimes annoying, like the car I've been punching vanishing right as I'm about to punch it, charger charges gently nudging people aside at medium distance because I guess I need to aim the claw not the charger, and so on.

I'm having major performance issues as well with this new mode. I don't get why it'd be more demanding than other modes in L4D2, particularly since they're just walling off one area of a level and playing within that. Hopefully they put out a patch for it.

1-D_FTW

Beginning next week, I'll be down for some of the non-pro gaf fun league. Really had a lot of fun in the couple matches I played yesterday. I'll leave Steam running at night and if you need someone, give me an invite.

My northbridge heatsink popped a screw and that was the reason L4D2 was constantly locking on me at release. No other game was causing problems, but because it wasn't flush, L4D2 would cause memory errors. By the time I figured it out, it wasn't enjoyable because every match I randomly tried had people screaming like babies. Forgot the game was actually enjoyable online.

Top Bottom