• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

Branduil

Tonight's match brought us the miracle of human flight:
zo6br9.jpg

Demo:
http://www.mediafire.com/?0nibfvn29jicqsr

Something weird happened last game. DK final, a spitter died in the short hallway near the first set of toilets and a bigger room where sometimes explosives spawn. I tried to jump over the puddle of goo, but that doesn't work obviously. But I got instantly incapped for some reason. The player who was responsible for the goo got a great score
16kqume.jpg

:lol

Volcynika

Branduil said:
Gator Village is so glitchy on survivor vs, every time I've played it the tank has gotten stuck somewhere behind the map.

Yeah, what the hell. I got glitched once in a barrier then warped in shortly after, but the second time...couldn't do anything. It just kept transferring control to different players.

vazel

Banned
Blizzard said:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has issues with tanks and lag/hit detection. :lol
Do you mean how sometimes you'll not hit something as tank even though you're right in front of it? I've had that happen to me when trying to hit survivors, hit cars/dumpsters, and smash open doors. From my experience you have to aim low-mid at the objects so as not to miss.

Nabs

hey, don't blame me just because i know how to make you do things. i wanted to be on phishies team.

Volcynika

Full blog entry

http://www.l4d.com/blog/post.php?id=4165

Week 16
August 6, 2010 - L4D Team

Week 16: Gib Fest! If you only had one thing? If you don’t play a mutation, why?

Gib Fest
Blast the infected to shreds with M60s.

Swords can slice up some fun. Chainsaws can tear apart the infected. But you need to get close for both and well… chainsaws are really loud! Time to go with the ultimate gun, you and three friends armed with M60s and unlimited ammo. This is going to get messy.

If you only had one thing?
Last weeks question was - Ignore the game for a minute. This is real world zombie apocalypse. You fought your way to a boat and boarded. You are unbitten. You are heading towards an Island in the Keys you hope is deserted but you have no idea. If you only had one thing you could wish to be on the boat with you heading towards that Island - what would it be?

Since the numbers are similar on both platforms we combined them:
56% Zoey
22% Shotgun
13% Ellis
7% Health Kit
2% Defibrillator

While we would have taken Ellis over the shotgun ourselves, this voting makes sense. Almost. I have to ask the 2% who voted for the defib. If it was for you, who was going to use it on you? If it was for someone else, were you really going to walk around looking for a random dead immune Survivor to resurrect? Either way, you scare us.

If you don’t play a mutation why? We did an update to our web blog this week about Mutations. While we go into more detail there, we are curious. If you don't normally play Mutations, what is the main reason why?

Next Week’s Mutation: Iron Man

Also, their discussion of why Realism VS is permanent, why others are not, etc. And some obvious statements.

With the first dozen Mutations out we wanted to take a minute and talk about the Mutations.

Overall the Mutations and weekly polls have been a great success and an amazing way for us to get feedback from the community. Don’t worry we still have more Mutations coming and we will also be tweaking and bringing back some of our favorites.

The idea behind the Mutations was simple. Left 4 Dead 2 is played by many different players and types of players. Some players have 300+ hours played in almost daily games and some players only play in weekly casual games with friends. We wanted to create weekly events that mixed up the game rules to experiment with gameplay and made people look at the game in new ways.

Before Mutations, what got played the most? It really depended on the day. Versus and Co-op Campaign were tied neck and neck each with around 40% (80-85% total) of the players on any given day. The other 15-20% was split between Survival, Realism and Scavenge.

Some of the constraints we decided on when creating Mutations: It was okay if it wasn't something that you wanted to play enough to replace an existing game mode as long as it was fun for a short period. Not every Mutation was going to appeal to everyone. Some Mutations would be directly aimed at smaller demographics inside the larger player base.

The decision to make Realism Versus permanent was easy. 41% of the players that week tried it. It grabbed an impressive 22% of the player minutes the week it was featured. That compares to the similar but different Survival Versus which was tried by only 25% of the players and was played for 4% of the player minutes the week it was featured.

Chainsaw Massacre was the most tried Mutation with over 52% of the players that week giving it a try and it was played for almost 14% of the player minutes that week. The voting pattern for encore weeks became obvious; the most played Mutation of the four received the most votes. The results of those polls were often a surprise for the forums but with a sample size for some polls reaching almost half-a-million votes these responses, by statistical necessity, reflect a more stable measurement of player sentiment.

The top 3 Mutations based on percentage of players who tried it at least once:
52% Chainsaw Massacre
45% Last Man On Earth
41% Realism Versus

The top 3 Mutations based on percentage of players minutes during featured week:
22% Realism Versus
14% Chainsaw Massacre
12% Last Gnome on Earth

The “You should have tried it because you would have loved it “ honorable mention goes to Hard Eight which was only tried by 26% of the players but hit 12% of the player minutes that week.

Hard Eight leads us to our last point. Not sure about a Mutation? Try it. Too often we see people dismiss a Mutation before they play it only to play it and then request it be made permanent. The only way you can be sure if running scared from multiple Special Infected is fun or not is to give it a try.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Holy shit it works, I just got credit for beating Dead Center on Expert with bots. Sooooo easy. I didn't even have to heal once in the finale and I grabbed/put in every can myself.

Nabs

Stallion Free said:
Holy shit it works, I just got credit for beating Dead Center on Expert with bots. Sooooo easy. I didn't even have to heal once in the finale and I grabbed/put in every can myself.
:lol it took you 30 minutes. damn.

Blizzard

Banned
M60s only, YES PLEASE! Feel free to drop me a Steam message if anyone needs a teammate. :lol I might as well pick up an achievement or two in the process.

ArjanN

Ogs said:
For reals ? I was about to come on here and ask if this was the case :lol

Yeah, it makes it super easy. Everyone starts with an M60 with unlimited ammo that you don't have to reload and that kills normal infected with one shot. You can pretty much just keep running forward.

I was able to beat Dark Carnival on expert with 3 bots, which is otherwise pretty much impossible.

Volcynika

Branduil said:
All the expert achievements except for the realism ones are now meaningless. :lol

Considering they're game based and only viewable on your profile if you go see the game, they were pretty meaningless anyways :p

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Well, I know what I'm whoring for the next few hours.

Hint: it involves my penis.

Top Bottom