• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

Pyrokai

Any Mac users here eagerly anticipating the release of the Mac version of this game? I know I can't wait. I bought it during that awesome Steam summer sale a few weeks ago for like, 3 dollars or something ridiculous, in anticipation of the Mac release. I played the first one on my Bootcamp version of Windows on my Mac, and I've recently been wanting to play it again, too. But I had some problems with my Windows partition and I ended up deleting Steam, so I hope the Mac version comes out soon so I can just download it on the partition I want it to be on :p

Ramble ramble.....any word on when this is supposed to come out for Mac? The L4D blog says it was supposed to come out in spring....but.....it's summer :(

Daigoro

so hows that mapping going Botolf?

you were/are working on a L4D2 campaign right? or am i confused? any updates?

Pyrokai said:
Any Mac users here eagerly anticipating the release of the Mac version of this game? I know I can't wait. I bought it during that awesome Steam summer sale a few weeks ago for like, 3 dollars or something ridiculous, in anticipation of the Mac release. I played the first one on my Bootcamp version of Windows on my Mac, and I've recently been wanting to play it again, too. But I had some problems with my Windows partition and I ended up deleting Steam, so I hope the Mac version comes out soon so I can just download it on the partition I want it to be on :p

Ramble ramble.....any word on when this is supposed to come out for Mac? The L4D blog says it was supposed to come out in spring....but.....it's summer :(

damn, i thought it was out already. is L4D1 out for Mac yet?

i have some mac friends i cant wait to get on board with us. it will be fun playing through the campaigns with them for the first time.

Sibylus

Banned
Daigoro said:
so hows that mapping going Botolf?

you were/are working on a L4D2 campaign right? or am i confused? any updates?
Mostly been tinkering in HL2 of late, but I still do intend on continuing work on that L4D2 project.

I think I finally figured out how Hard Rain saves the state of items and stuff across maps, guns and whatnot have an alterable value called a "global entity name". If a medkit on map 1 and map 5 has the same global entity name, the state of the first kit will override that of the kit on map 5. Kit is picked up on map 1, it is thus gone on map 5. I may be able to exploit that functionality by essentially using items as a direct analogue for an on/off state.

The idea would be that as the level changes, I shoot an output to the entity storing the count of a resource (such as wood), telling it to spawn a specific entity. If there's 8 units of wood, the 8th healthkit in this row spawns, and as such when you go into the next map, only the 8th healthkit should be alive. Assuming all that happens, that is something I can detect with triggers and thus update the inventory on the new map with the old count. That may or may not work, but at the very least I know that this type of global state is working in the game. Probably my best bet for synchronizing the team inventory between maps.

Daigoro

Botolf said:
Mostly been tinkering in HL2 of late, but I still do intend on continuing work on that L4D2 project.

I think I finally figured out how Hard Rain saves the state of items and stuff across maps, guns and whatnot have an alterable value called a "global entity name". If a medkit on map 1 and map 5 has the same global entity name, the state of the first kit will override that of the kit on map 5. Kit is picked up on map 1, it is thus gone on map 5. I may be able to exploit that functionality by essentially using items as a direct analogue for an on/off state.

The idea would be that as the level changes, I shoot an output to the entity storing the count of a resource (such as wood), telling it to spawn a specific entity. If there's 8 units of wood, the 8th healthkit in this row spawns, and as such when you go into the next map, only the 8th healthkit should be alive. Assuming all that happens, that is something I can detect with triggers and thus update the inventory on the new map with the old count. That may or may not work, but at the very least I know that this type of global state is working in the game. Probably my best bet for synchronizing the team inventory between maps.

sounds like a lot of work. ambitious. good luck with it.

derFeef

http://kotaku.com/5598240/left-4-dead-gets-a-large-heavy-statue

tank.jpg

Volcynika

New blog

http://www.l4d.com/blog/post.php?id=4125

The image above is from our friends at the IP Factory. This Friday they are releasing their Left 4 Dead 2 range of strictly limited high end collectibles. First up is the Tank. Pre-orders go live Friday July 30th.

Today’s update covers quite a few subjects so we thought we should touch on a few of them.

When we did our blog poll on rage quitting we mentioned we would be working on some of the underlying issues. Left 4 Dead 2 doesn’t have a more rage or less rage button – well not directly…

We checked some stats, did some testing, checked more stats, and did more testing. We have many more changes we are working on, some ideas failed, some were exploitable, and some were just bad ideas. What we are releasing today is not the sum of our answer to the problem but simply some of the updates that are ready to ship. More are coming.

While we were testing other changes with the Charger, we were bothered that doing the right thing did not give you the best score. New players were often confused by this lack of feedback, so we fixed that.

-Charger now receives 300 points for any Survivor that is insta-killed.
-Charger now receives 100 points for any Survivor that is insta-incapped by a charge.
-Any infected that causes a Survivor to stumble into a "ledge hang" situation will receive 50 points.

Friendly fire is never fun, especially when it really isn’t friendly fire. So in both Versus and Co-op we wanted to remove those times when you receive a friendly fire warning for shooting through an infected.

-Bullets that first pass through an infected character before striking a Survivor are now ignored as friendly fire.

Failing at the Tank is miserable experience. We all know the feeling when you are trying to explain to your team - but he was already on fire! So we did some work there.

-Tanks go into a stasis when they spawn and leave stasis when the human player takes over.
-Tanks do not attack when they are in stasis.
-Tanks in stasis are invisible but still show a glow to the infected team.
-Tanks in stasis cannot be set on fire.

The updates aren't over and you should expect to see some more shortly. As for the blog, besides the regular Friday update, next week we will be going into details on the Mutations, why Realism Versus was made permanent and other Mutations have not been. Plus what gets played more - Versus, Co-op, Survival, Single Player, or Scavenge?

Daigoro

those update sound good. nothing worse than spawning as a tank already on fire.

Botolf said:
Thanks for asking about it, now I'm going to go test some things to work out the feasibility of this scheme :lol

cool. looking forward to playing it one day. :D

srenity

Neo Member
This is kind of a dumb/weird request/question but I hope you guys can help me out.

My friend stumbled upon this youtube clip where everyone is gathered for the Smoker's birthday. And you know when the Smoker screams, he sounds like he's saying "YAAY!" :p
When he told me about it recently, we weren't able to look it up on youtube.

Can anyone find this clip somewhere?? I REALLY want to see it xD

Good update, looking forward to what's next.

This game is pretty much the only FPS we play at the house. It's infinite fun. I wonder how many hours I've sunk into it. (360)

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
drkOne said:
Stall! You always record demos, tell me you got that part of me following you into the vent as Tank!
Noooooooo! I didn't think to record because Bulleta was watching and she is the only one who usually cares for a demo.

Carlisle

Damn I was hoping this thread got bumped because the steamplay update was finally coming out. Valve has been pretty quiet on the steamplay front since TF2... L4D/2 are still making the Mac jump, right?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Botolf said:

slowtolf

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Carlisle said:
Damn I was hoping this thread got bumped because the steamplay update was finally coming out. Valve has been pretty quiet on the steamplay front since TF2... L4D/2 are still making the Mac jump, right?
L4D is on a different revision of the Source engine from TF2/HL2/Portal sothat's why it's taking longer. It is coming though, they confirmed it with the initial Valve on Mac press release images.

Branduil

Watching the first map again, you guys probably lost when your tank accidentally knocked the car over the house, away from everyone. :lol

Volcynika

New blog

360 people get Four Swordsmen, PC gets VS Survival

http://www.l4d.com/blog/post.php?id=4139

Week 15: Split Vote! If you only had one thing? TANK!

We split in this week’s vote. PC users went with Survival Versus and Xbox 360 users went with Four Swordsmen of the Apocalypse.

Four Swordsmen of the Apocalypse
Four Swords against plenty of apocalypse!

Armed with only swords the survivors face near continuous streams of Special Infected ready to be sliced and diced.

Versus Survival
Can you survive against your friends?

The first Survivor team sets the time. The second team tries to beat it. Then the first team tries to beat the second team's time. Then the second team tries to beat the first team's time. And then the... you get the idea. Rounds keep switching until someone fails to beat the previous time. We have added a start time limit.

How did the voting break down?
On the PC it was:
32% Versus Survival
26% Four Swordsmen
22% Hard Eight
20% Healthpackalypse

On the Xbox 360:
38% Four Swordsmen
28% Versus Survival
17% Hard Eight
17% Healthpackalypse

Similar numbers for the bottom two and a flip for the top two. Can anyone hazard a guess why we are seeing the split?

If you only had one thing…

Ignore the game for a minute. This is real world zombie apocalypse. You fought your way to a boat and boarded. You are unbitten. You are heading towards an Island in the Keys you hope is deserted but you have no idea. If you only had one thing you could wish to be on the boat with you heading towards that Island - what would it be?

Next Week’s Mutation: Gib Fest!

TANK!
The Tank statue over at the IP Factory is available for pre-order now! This is a very limited run so hurry up and click here.

Vs. Survival sounds amazing. I need to start playing again. Just don't have the same motivation I had for the first one for some reason.

Rickard

Fucking dumbass 360 users.

I'm on the 360 and I know for a fact people only voted for four swordsmen because it's an easy way to beat the campaigns on expert.

Fuck man, I really wanted to play VsS with my friends this week.

Daigoro

VS Survival is cool. played it the other day. love the idea and it gets crazy fast.

my team won even though we forgot to hit the radio on our first round. :lol

Rickard said:

I'm on the 360 and I know for a fact people only voted for four swordsmen because it's an easy way to beat the campaigns on expert.

i voted for it because i never tried it before. already beat all expert levels multiple times and got Real Deal.

what makes it easier exactly? just the fact that swords are badass, or did they change the levels somehow?

Daigoro said:
VS Survival is cool. played it the other day. love the idea and it gets crazy fast.

my team won even though we forgot to hit the radio on our first round. :lol

i voted for it because i never tried it before. already beat all expert levels multiple times and got Real Deal.

what makes it easier exactly? just the fact that swords are badass, or did they change the levels somehow?
It's specials-only, IIRC. Which makes expert much easier, since the big danger are the CI. Tanks are annoying, but 4 katanas can still make fairly short work out of 'em.

Daigoro

hm. thanks.

i was busy over the weekend but did try it briefly. i didnt realize there were no commons. did play long enough to realize that killing a boomer with only melee is a pain in the ass though.

ArjanN

Daigoro said:
hm. thanks.

i was busy over the weekend but did try it briefly. i didnt realize there were no commons. did play long enough to realize that killing a boomer with only melee is a pain in the ass though.[/

But if there are no common infected if doesn't really matter much if you get hit by the boomer.

I feel your pain.

We're slogging through Expert, off-line, with two people. It's a challenge, but it's sooooo fucking fun. Because this game is perfect.

Branduil

So, uh, what was the deal on Barns where I was a spitter, literally jumping around in the middle of the survivors and slashing them, and no one killed me?

Blizzard

Banned
Never tell your password to anyone.
DaFish: [phishing link here]
OMG OMG WTF? HAHAHAHA
Blizzard: so
Blizzard: are you infected?
DaFish: ?
DaFish: why do you ask?
Blizzard: you just sent me a phishing link
DaFish: its my new steam group -.-
Blizzard: no
DaFish: im trying to make people to join in
Blizzard: it's a steamcommunity_com_viewprofile link
Blizzard: and it ends with ".li"
Blizzard: gonna try to find a good place on neogaf to warn people I guess
DaFish, if you read this thread, hopefully you're aware someone is apparently impersonating you (assuming you're not actually trying to phish people).

vazel

Banned
I got a phishing attempt from DaFish too. When I check his profile he has gaffers in his friends list so it seems like his account was hacked. Second time I've seen this same exact phishing attempt complete with that 'omg omg hahaha' at the end.

uxBOC.jpg

Top Bottom