• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

ColR100 said:
Steam really is a piece of shit sometimes. Takes ages to load up, hangs also, and then can't even download the DLC properly.

For the amount of money they're making you'd think they'd provide a smoother service.

Because it's more feasible to get a ton of servers for the handful of days a year when the servers would be overloaded?

Just finished the L4D1 Sacrifice. Was nice revisiting the last part from The Passing lol

Now to wait for my L4D2 Sacrifice. Damn slow download.

ColR100 said:
Steam really is a piece of shit sometimes. Takes ages to load up, hangs also, and then can't even download the DLC properly.

For the amount of money they're making you'd think they'd provide a smoother service.
You can't provide the resources for those random days when your traffic spikes to ridiculous levels. It's just absolutely impossible.

You haven't noticed that everything on the Internet does this in similar situations? It's not because the people behind the Internets are fucking dumb.

A new campaign for L4D2 is being made and it's inspired by Minecraft. The campaign is called Mines of the Living Dead:

left-4-dead-in-minecraft.jpg

http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/10/05/theres-a-minecraft-campaign-coming-for-left-4-dead-2/#comments

Fox the Sly

A friend gifted me L4D2 almost a week ago, and I don't know if I should've bothered buying L4D1 at this point, but I did anyway. :D

And I see changing download servers makes no difference in download speed. :lol

1-D_FTW

lastplayed said:
Brilliant. Steam isn't downloading the update and I can't even play the game. Even connecting to Steam takes forever.

It took me forever to even acknowledge the game had updates. When it did, L4D1 was suspended and L4D2 was downloading at about 5kb/sec.

Then a popup appeared saying there was a new client. Like a fool, I thought restarting would somehow improve things. Now I can't even log into my account. I can't believe some of you guys are done already. I'd settle for being able to play a little F1 right now.

Alex

ColR100 said:

Steam is pretty reliable, it's not perfect, but as far as big services go it's towards the top. Still, shit happens, and people need to learn that you can't just throw wads of money to make every little problem go away, every big online product goes through issues like this.

40 mins for a DLC download? I'm glad I'm not into PC gaming.

Yeah, I'm sure people are lamenting here as they auto download a patch that isn't even available on your service yet. It must sting them hard, even though their game was half the price, doesn't require a 50-60 dollar nothing tax, and has all it's DLC for free.

Take comfort in knowing that as they boot up their 1080p, 60FPS, highly cranked versions of the game, they will feel a little empty inside.

J-Rock

Banned
New to this game so I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this. Well I've had L4D2 for the Xbox 360 for about a month now and loving it. I'd really like to play with some GAF members since the random online players can sometimes be... well... annoying. PM me or just let me know here if you're interested. I live in Florida and my gamertag is: JeremyRock456

Alex said:
Yeah, I'm sure people are lamenting here as they auto download a patch that isn't even available on your service yet. It must sting them hard, even though their game was half the price, doesn't require a 50-60 dollar nothing tax, and has all it's DLC for free.

Take comfort in knowing that as they boot up their 1080p, 60FPS, highly cranked versions of the game, they will feel a little empty inside.
Are you sure he's the one that needs to be taking comfort, dude? It's just a game. Let him be ignorant.

andycapps

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Are you sure he's the one that needs to be taking comfort, dude? It's just a game. Let him be ignorant.

As always, internet=serious business, PC elitism, etc etc.

Steam is really slow tonight. Told a friend to download it on his Mac since they just got the support today and I'm starting to wonder if we'll get to play it tonight. But if he can, does anyone want to take the other 2 spots? Will probably try to play through the first couple campaigns with him tonight.

andycapps said:
Steam is really slow tonight. Told a friend to download it on his Mac since they just got the support today and I'm starting to wonder if we'll get to play it tonight.
It's 11 GB, so probably not. That's going to take me 3 hours to download if I get a fully saturated connection, and that won't happen tonight.

andycapps

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
It's 11 GB, so probably not. That's going to take me 3 hours to download if I get a fully saturated connection, and that won't happen tonight.

Bummer. I was holding out hope that it'd happen, but it doesn't even look like mine will be updated by then. The weird thing is it's installing "Left 4 Dead 2 Add on Support" yet I think I already had that. So it's downloading a 3.5 gig file for L4D2, and a slightly bigger file for add on support.

DarkKyo

Just finished playing The Sacrifice... My first impression is that it was awesome for campaign, but I'd love to see how it is as a versus map. I liked it more than The Passing, actually. It has a lot of great scenery and a couple sweet concepts that I haven't seen in either game yet. Also it was great playing as the original four!

Damn you sacrificial gameplay. I can't seem to connect to any of the local servers so I've been playing The Sacrifice on my own on advanced and it's pretty much impossible to dodge
three goddamn tanks
without any proper support. I'll try again with a team of people later on. The campaign is pretty sweet actually, it's probably the creepiest of all the campaigns behind Blood Harvest. I kept laughing at how the time of day was changing every few minutes.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Blizzard said:
Did they change it to suit l4d2 infected better, or just improve the design in general?
They didn't do anything except add some fences on the rooftop entrance to the finale. The old maps fit the new infected just fine because they were tightly designed.

Alex

They did a lot more than that, they peppered in a fair bit of extra rooms and some general quirks to the environment. In addition to the rails on the roof, the main building is completely changed and you cant hold up in there anymore.

The Sacrifice was really good too, I liked it more than The Passing by far. I also have to say I actually really enjoyed the comic for it too, I'd like to see a L4D2 cast one.

Sober

Alex said:
They did a lot more than that, they peppered in a fair bit of extra rooms and some general quirks to the environment. In addition to the rails on the roof, the main building is completely changed and you cant hold up in there anymore.

The Sacrifice was really good too, I liked it more than The Passing by far. I also have to say I actually really enjoyed the comic for it too, I'd like to see a L4D2 cast one.
I really hope they do a L4D2 cast comic with another next (post-Parish?). Honestly, I would like to see what they do with Rochelle, I don't hate her or anything but she seems underused throughout the entire game. Or even a L4D1 campaign where the old gang all meet up.

I played it in single player. Pretty neat campaign with some new ideas. I look forward to playing the finale on higher difficulties with other people :)

I played one map of the Sacrifice in L4D2. It seems that the old survivors do not react to the new stuff, at least not as diverse as the new crew. For example if you look at bile bombs, they say nothing. No banter when they pick up melee weapons, if you look then the only response is a generic "weapons here". And what I dislike the most, they don't say anything when attacked by the new SI. So no "no man deserves to be ridden like that" stuff. They will call out the new SI though.

duckroll

Sacrifice is pretty evil. The overall design of the campaign reminds me a lot of Crash Course. It's rather mazey, and there isn't a great sense of direction all the time. Plus, the finale is just pure evil. This should be "interesting" in realism versus... :lol

Alex

shagg_187 said:
Might as well ask it here as well:

Is the campaign i.e. "The Sacrifice" the same for L4D and L4D2 or are there any notable differences?

I think the only difference is the adaptation for the games framework, like melee weapons, special infected, etc in L4D2.

Alex said:
I think the only difference is the adaptation for the games framework, like melee weapons, special infected, etc in L4D2.
Ahh! Thanks alot!

Luckily Valve ain't a shitty company to force people to own both version just to see the proper ending of the campaign.

Nabs

i would like to thank turtle rock for thinking about the hunters. it felt good. real good.

i hope they turtle rock gets to work on the next l4d project.

Konosuke said:
What about the hunters?

Probably that it has nice spots to damage pounce from. Lots of L4D2 maps don't have high spots, loads of roofs are of limits.

Can you get on top of the oil depot in map 2?

BTW: new mutation will be 'Hunting Ground'. Do you think it'll bea sort of VS against AI?
And did anyone try out Tank yet? How is it?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Alex said:
Uh. The only change that effects VS was the one I listed. We just played it last night and the main building where you set off the finale works just fine. I don't remember any rooms being added/any other quirks and I have played No Mercy a shit ton.

Top Bottom