• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

Would anyone mind telling me how No Mercy is? It's been since launch that I played L4D1 and I can't remember the DLC at all. Plus am on a 360 and it's not like I can just download it right?

garath

Just bought L4d2. $6 was too good to pass up. Will start the download over lunch and play tonight. Never played the second and only played the first on 360. Will be a fun experience!

So I just got L4D2 but something's bothering me. I can play L4D on lower settings just fine, but with this there seem to be lag spikes that are really starting to bother me. They occur when I play offline as well. I turned every setting down as low as possible, but is there really that big a difference in graphics demand?

MNC

I liked the sacrifice better than NM, but I think that´s because I played NM a dozen times ;p

I totally wish the ending for sacrifice was a bit better though. Atleast make the game end until the survivor left behind is actually dead/incapped instead of INSTACAPPING HIM WITH A FAKE ENDING CUTSCENE. It felt unfinished. Also, L4D1 sacrifice doesn't have new voice clips for me.

Stallion Free said:
Uh. The only change that effects VS was the one I listed. We just played it last night and the main building where you set off the finale works just fine. I don't remember any rooms being added/any other quirks and I have played No Mercy a shit ton.
Not sure if it's this way in Vs, but NM4's elevator in campaign no longer has a hole in the top for infected to attack from.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
RocketDarkness said:
Not sure if it's this way in Vs, but NM4's elevator in campaign no longer has a hole in the top for infected to attack from.
Yeah, that too... I can't remember a single time we attacked there though, it's a horrible location to attack.

Lumine

Bah finally tried the Sacrifice, but my pc crashed completely on the 2nd stage. Is this a common bug or was I just unlucky? Seemed good so far anyway. Any europeans perhaps interested in playing through it later tonight? Bit tired of random people idling and disconnecting half the time. :p

Finally finished playing a Sacrifice round. (download took forever)

Fun and short campaign, but I have to agree with others that the finale could've been better scripted.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Just finished the Sacrifice in a public game. I was the one to be sacrificed (Zoey) since no one else seemed to want to do it.

theMrCravens said:
Finally finished playing a Sacrifice round. (download took forever)

Fun and short campaign, but I have to agree with others that the finale could've been better scripted.
I was under the impression after activating the final generator, we would be able to battle it out against all 4 tanks. So I was a bit disappointed with how it all ended.

Jeff Stephen said:
I was under the impression after activating the final generator, we would be able to battle it out against all 4 tanks. So I was a bit disappointed with how it all ended.
Same. I even saved up my chainsaw for one last epic battle, but no... :(

So anyone got to complete the campaign on expert realism? I think the ending is impossible :D We had to switch from advanced to normal, and I never felt more noobish in my life.

MoFuzz

OmegaDragon said:
new mutation will be 'Hunting Ground'. Do you think it'll bea sort of VS against AI?
Given that this week is 4 players as tanks simultaneously, it sounds like Hunting Ground might be 4 Hunters at the same time.

Kilgore Trout said:
So I just got L4D2 but something's bothering me. I can play L4D on lower settings just fine, but with this there seem to be lag spikes that are really starting to bother me. They occur when I play offline as well. I turned every setting down as low as possible, but is there really that big a difference in graphics demand?
You mention lag spikes, but from the sounds of it, you are having performance issues. Could you be more specific as to when it happens? is it a sluggish framerate? stuttering mid level?

L4D2 generally speaking is more hardware intensive than the first game because of the extra gore and physics effects. The game will use up to 3 cores, so if you've got em, make sure multi-core support is enabled.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
RustyNails said:
So anyone got to complete the campaign on expert realism? I think the ending is impossible :D We had to switch from advanced to normal, and I never felt more noobish in my life.

Did it with Baha...oh my fucking god it was brutal...

MoFuzz said:
Given that this week is 4 players as tanks simultaneously, it sounds like Hunting Ground might be 4 Hunters at the same time.

You mention lag spikes, but from the sounds of it, you are having performance issues. Could you be more specific as to when it happens? is it a sluggish framerate? stuttering mid level?

L4D2 generally speaking is more hardware intensive than the first game because of the extra gore and physics effects. The game will use up to 3 cores, so if you've got em, make sure multi-core support is enabled.
I guess it's not really lag spikes, but stuttering, or sometimes the frame rate drops a bit. I'm on a laptop so I only have two cores, and also have a Geforce 8400 GS which can't even run Oblivion, but Valve games generally are less demanding so I've been able to play everything by them so far without any problems.

Façade

Neo Member
Kilgore Trout said:
I guess it's not really lag spikes, but stuttering, or sometimes the frame rate drops a bit..

Try playing on windowed (no border if you want). It helps for me, I'm not too sure why I get stuttering :S

1-D_FTW

Valve is upping the graphical oomph it seems. Surprised to see all 4 of my cores were getting a pretty good workout. Looks real good though.

MoFuzz

Kilgore Trout said:
I guess it's not really lag spikes, but stuttering, or sometimes the frame rate drops a bit. I'm on a laptop so I only have two cores, and also have a Geforce 8400 GS which can't even run Oblivion, but Valve games generally are less demanding so I've been able to play everything by them so far without any problems.
You might still get better performance with multi-core enabled, even if its only two physical cores. Give it a shot if you haven't already. GeForce 8400 is definitely the bottleneck here though. That is 6 to 7 year old graphics technology at this point, so you're probably looking at minimum settings across the board.

Not sure if you're using the server browser via the openserverbrowser command in the console, but that thing is beyond busted and will cripple performance. Join games through the in game menus only or connect to a specific IP if you know the specific server you want.

For the stuttering, try verifying the game cache in Steam, and defragging the hard drive if you haven't already. A must after big Steam installs since gigs upon gigs are being loaded onto the HDD at once.

Daigoro

Didnt get a chance to play The Sacrifice yet, but i did get a run on No Mercy in. It definitly seems slightly harder with the new infected, but it balances out with the new weapons i guess.

Some things i noticed about the NM campaign:

tanks and witch spawns were brutal. They almost always seemed to be at the worst possible locations, and one tank spawned at the same spot after a retry.

I got twin boomers on the way to the saferoom on NM3. A L4D2 special.

They put up a fence on the roof after the ladder climbat the finale. That's new right

We ran into a the glitched model of Zoey, man was it distracting. Also creepy as hell at times D:

Zoeybugged1a.jpg

Zoeystandingincap.jpg

zoeyyourdoingitwrong.jpg

Daigoro said:
They put up a fence on the roof after the ladder climbat the finale. That's new right
Yeah, I climbed the ladder as a charger, looking forward to charging an unsuspecting survivor off of the roof, but the damn hospital putt a guard rail up. I guess they'd been sued by previous survivors.

OmegaDragon said:
We ran into a the glitched model of Zoey, man was it distracting. Also creepy as hell at times D:
I saw that too, makes the game tough to play on VS. You think she's OK, but really she's been incapped. I've also had zombies in luminous green, yellow and pink shirts. Very easy to spot them in a darkened room.

derFeef

Going to play The Sacrifice in singlepalyer again today. I could not really appreciate the maps because we somehow rushed through it during my first playthrough :/

Hey You

I already got the achievement in Co-op Campaign online, but if you played The Sacrifice in Single Player. Can you get the
Kill Bill
achievement if you
are bill
and go and
Restart the generator
? Why I ask is because atleast 1 person needs to
survive
to beat the Campaign.

Hey You said:
I already got the achievement in Co-op Campaign online, but if you played The Sacrifice in Single Player. Can you get the
Kill Bill
achievement if you
are bill
and go and
Restart the generator
survive
to beat the Campaign.

Yes, at least in L4D1, I didn't try it in 2

Nabs said:
the tanks mutation is hilarious

It sure is. It's a bit buggy at times tough, sometimes the survivors get a tank in front of them and sometimes they don't. And on NM3 tanks can spawn behind a fence near the gas station but not climb over it. The other team got 3 tanks behind the fence, we got 2. One of them was furious, so funny :lol Most hilarious moment: DC4, all the tanks spawned in the elevator, even though some survivors were almost in it :lol

Cimarron

Well I have finally did. I double dipped and bought L4D2 for my Mac Mini!! I'm really excited to play with you guys. My steam tag is magus_cimarron so feel free to add me. Is anyone else playing on a mini? If so how is the performance? BTW Steam is downloading hella slow!

Hey You said:
Kill Bill
achievement if you
are bill
and go and
Restart the generator
survive
to beat the Campaign.

In single player you have to restart the generator yourself and you still win as soon as you do.

Now I haven't tried playing as that character (is it really a spoiler at this point when the passing has been out for months?) when I played singleplayer I just picked a random character and it gave me someone else.

rossonero

Is there some problem with the servers? I'm trying to start a campaign game with 3 friends and it has been searching for the best dedicated server for 15 minutes. This is Gears of War-esque.

Cimarron said:
Well I have finally did. I double dipped and bought L4D2 for my Mac Mini!! I'm really excited to play with you guys. My steam tag is magus_cimarron so feel free to add me. Is anyone else playing on a mini? If so how is the performance? BTW Steam is downloading hella slow!

I downloaded it onto my mac mini (2010 version with 2.4Ghz dual core, 2GB RAM, Nvidia 320M) and it runs decently at the very lowest settings but there is a lot of random stuttering especially when turning around fast.

Cimarron said:

I'm assuming you had the 360 version? Cause you get the Mac version for free if you already had the PC one.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
VGChampion said:
I'm assuming you had the 360 version? Cause you get the Mac version for free if you already had the PC one.
It wouldn't have let him repurchase it on the Mac if he had it on PC so I don't think he did that.

Did anyone on 360 get their counters reset in L4D1? After I got the DLC, I checked my Achievements and noticed Zombie Genocidest went from 38,000 to 0...

Cimarron

No I have the 360 version. I defected from the PC master race several years ago. I have severe techno-OCD. I called it quits after years of upgrading every component on my rig every 6 months just to stay at the razors edge of latest in tech. My wallet couldn't take my stupidity anymore! :lol :lol :lol I've been jealous of you guys for the last couple of years because of the fan campaigns and mods for the L4D series. I am just happy to be able to participate now. :D I have a the 2010 version mac mini with a 2.53 core duo, 4 gb ram, and a Nvidea 9400m. I think I should be able to run it on atleast the medium settings I think..... I hope. :^/

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Cimarron said:
No I have the 360 version. I defected from the PC master race several years ago. I have severe techno-OCD. I called it quits after years of upgrading every component on my rig every 6 months just to stay at the razors edge of latest in tech. My wallet couldn't take my stupidity anymore! :lol :lol :lol I've been jealous of you guys for the last couple of years because of the fan campaigns and mods for the L4D series. I am just happy to be able to participate now. :D I have a the 2010 version mac mini with a 2.53 core duo, 4 gb ram, and a Nvidea 9400m. I think I should be able to run it on atleast the medium settings I think..... I hope. :^/

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

You were joking right?

garath

finally played L4D2 last night, it was wonderful. Took awhile to get into the swing of it. I had only played the first one on 360. I got started off in a level where you are getting gas for a car. It took my pick up team about 10 tries to finally succeed. I was the last one alive (barely) for the win.

Will definitely be playing more.

kitch9

Banned
Cimarron said:

I used to be like you, but things have changed. There's no need to be at the bleeding edge to run games anymore, as devs have learned not to push the boundaries too much.

I've had my CPU for14 months, with no really reason to change as I can see for 12 months at least, damn thats unheard of.

wayward archer said:
Now I haven't tried playing as that character (is it really a spoiler at this point when the passing has been out for months?) when I played singleplayer I just picked a random character and it gave me someone else.

There should be an achievement for
all three other survivors dropping down and only Bill escaping
, some sort of "Defiant of Destiny" achievement. :D

Cimarron

I hear ya Kitch9. I've just reached a right now where the 3 console and the occasional PC/Mac game is all I need. Aside from gaming I don't need a beefy PC anymore my Mac handles all of my computer needs just fine. I do kind of miss it though.

L4D2 actually runs pretty good on my mini (at least compared to my 360). Does anyone have any suggestions for homebrew campaigns to download?

BTW Magic Mouse+FPS=Epic failure! :( :lol :lol :lol

andycapps

Anybody interested in playing with me and a friend of mine tonight? He just bought this the other day.. Gonna be trying to go through No Mercy, most likely on advanced.. Already beat Dead Center and then will try to hit the rest of the campaigns after that.

Top Bottom