• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

dragonlife29 said:
Did anyone on 360 get their counters reset in L4D1? After I got the DLC, I checked my Achievements and noticed Zombie Genocidest went from 38,000 to 0...

Yep the exact same thing happened to me.

I thought it could be an issue on their side server wise.

But I'll start again.

syllogism

rossonero said:
Is there some problem with the servers? I'm trying to start a campaign game with 3 friends and it has been searching for the best dedicated server for 15 minutes. This is Gears of War-esque.
There are 31k players playing, which is probably 2x more than in many, many months so there aren't enough servers. Just local host campaign games, works fine.

jediyoshi

I'm not digging the port of the old models. Left is Valve's, right is an old random mod I used. The reflections look really odd (flashlight is being pointed in both shots), unless there's just something off with my setup.

wHmfU.jpg

I recently bought the game, but still haven't played it as of yet because I don't know how much time I should be looking to invest to play an entire campaign through to its completion.

So in general, how much time should I have freed up in order to play a campaign completely through on normal difficulty?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
gburgess10 said:
I recently bought the game, but still haven't played it as of yet because I don't know how much time I should be looking to invest to play an entire campaign through to its completion.

So in general, how much time should I have freed up in order to play a campaign completely through on normal difficulty?
Shouldn't take more than an hour.

gburgess10 said:

It's really not that serious. Just play a single map and quit if you have to. There's no real continuing story or anything.

A campaign on Normal shouldn't take more than hour.

Does anyone know the issue regarding the counter for the Zombie Genocidest achievement being reset?

I was on about 40,000 and now I've had to start again.

Blizzard

Banned
scavenge4z8g.jpg

The first level ground floor was decent for no mercy scavenge (good spitter/hunter spots), but I think the rooftop finale may be the best scavenge map yet. A couple of obnoxious people were on the other team and kept kicking anyone without a mic. I guess it worked since they seemed to do well once they didn't kick the last couple. The games were too close at first, but we triumphed in the end. :D

Boney

Banned
Goddamit, i bought L4D2 when it was on sale, and my mac won't run it :(

I'm so stoopid... that's why I don't delve in pc gaming..

oh well, I'll play it someday I guess...

Boney said:

I dunno, I don't get disappointed that my ps2 can't play uncharted.

;)

jediyoshi said:
I'm not digging the port of the old models. Left is Valve's, right is an old random mod I used. The reflections look really odd (flashlight is being pointed in both shots), unless there's just something off with my setup.

wHmfU.jpg

I think the model is the same, but L4D2 runs on a newer version of source, which totally has better lighting.

Kuran

Banned
Boney said:

The Mac port is pathetic, not sure who is to blame. It runs 5x faster for me in Bootcamp.

rossonero

If I want to get the "STILL SOMETHING TO PROVE"-achievement do I need to play all the stages in one campaign in one sitting or will the game keep track of what stages I've been cleared?

rossonero said:
If I want to get the "STILL SOMETHING TO PROVE"-achievement do I need to play all the stages in one campaign in one sitting or will the game keep track of what stages I've been cleared?

You have to play through the entire campaign in one sitting and survive the finale.

Daigoro

Holy shit @ that genocidist glitch. Valve have really butchered L4D1 with these updates.

Im just a few thousand away as well. I dont want to even boot it up now.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
How did you guys never finish the Genocidist achievement? There are some campaigns, especially customs where you can net around 1000 kills in just one run through. VS and Survival count towards it too!

The new DLC was pretty cool. End was abrupt though. Pretty awesome to see so many Tanks rush the bridge and just as I was going "Oh SHIIII" a little cutscene plays of Zoey getting hit by a rock and that's it? :lol

Wanna play it again already though!

Beat The Sacrifice in L4D2 on expert last night! :D

Had a few retries in the beginning but got through the 2nd and 3rd parts without retrying. Feels good man.

Fox1304

Played through Carnival & Swamp last night for the first time.
Carnival : pretty meh, except the clowns and the Midnight Riders finale.
Swamp : found it pretty awesome, loved the ambiance and the maps. But the final was a bit easy and not very intense.

Overall, I'm enjoying them a lot. Can't wait to do The Passing and Hard Rain !

Heavy's Sandvich said:
Does anyone else hate when Coach refers to the witch as that 'bitch'?
Yes.

Stuff like that is only acceptable to me if they're also calling the males needle-dicks or assholes or something, but they don't. Just the lady gets the awful name.

Heavy's Sandvich said:
Does anyone else hate when Coach refers to the witch as that 'bitch'?

To be fair he calls jockeys 'leaping on your back bitches' on occassion.

There is also the caveat that witch rhymes with bitch making it a clever and apt substitution considering her temperament.

jambo

Fox1304 said:
Played through Carnival & Swamp last night for the first time.
Carnival : pretty meh, except the clowns and the Midnight Riders finale.
Swamp : found it pretty awesome, loved the ambiance and the maps. But the final was a bit easy and not very intense.

Overall, I'm enjoying them a lot. Can't wait to do The Passing and Hard Rain !
Hard Rain will blow you away!

Blizzard

Banned
Silly question -- tonight is the last chance to try the tank mutation before it changes tomorrow, correct?

And if so, does anyone have any further opinions on it? I want to try it at least once, but I heard someone complaining that it was actually annoying for the tanks, since they can spawn behind the survivors (and thus never catch them unless normal zombies or a panic event slows them down). For some maps it seems like it should be fun, though.

Being politcally correct would have stripped the realism right out of the dialog.

Besides, bitch is literally one letter away from witch. It's not difficult to see why it would probably make its way into a zombie infested world as regular lingo.

Blizzard said:
Silly question -- tonight is the last chance to try the tank mutation before it changes tomorrow, correct?

And if so, does anyone have any further opinions on it? I want to try it at least once, but I heard someone complaining that it was actually annoying for the tanks, since they can spawn behind the survivors (and thus never catch them unless normal zombies or a panic event slows them down). For some maps it seems like it should be fun, though.
I played a couple of games of it, thought it was pretty fun. A lot of it ended up being a foot race or an endurance match, so it was fun for a couple of times.

I know it sounds lame and retroactive, but No Mercy with L4D2 weapons ties or betters some of its own campaigns. :lol In my mind anyways.

Dark Carnival still wins forever! (Maybe tied with The Parish)

I've had sort of a l4d2 revival of late (playing 360 version) and have noticed that the 360 l4d2 community has become extremely self-regulating when it comes to mic use. If you join a lobby with your mic unplugged or if it's muted and you don't respond you'll get booted from the game probably 3/4ths of the time.

As a direct result I've noticed a lot fewer complete blowouts and a lot more close games simply because everybody is communicating. It's actually pretty awesome.

^ Me too. Yesterday I actually joined three games where they were kicking "pubs" or "pubes" depending on the age of the player.

Also, it made me realize how dated I am. I still call the "smokers" "lickers" from RE2 because I'm usually baked everytime I play L4D2 and people ask me what the fuck I'm talking about. :lol It's just so surprising I have to explain what they are. Doesn't everyone know?

vertopci said:
Who the fuck gives a shit?

I ask because I find that it greatly impacts the character. Each have their own personality and I believe it to be out of place.

The witch is in a class of her own, she harms no-one unless disturbed. It is the players inability to move around her which causes her to become disturbed. She is not belligerent ex nihilo, unlike the other special infected.

I don't know why it elicits such a reaction in me, but I thoroughly despise it when he says it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Heavy's Sandvich said:
I ask because I find that it greatly impacts the character. Each have their own personality and I believe it to be out of place.

The witch is in a class of her own, she harms no-one unless disturbed. It is the players inability to move around her which causes her to become disturbed. She is not belligerent ex nihilo, unlike the other special infected.

I don't know why it elicits such a reaction in me, but I thoroughly despise it when he says it.
It's the apocalypse. They have seen witches do brutal things. Calling her a bitch is actually on the nicer side of things.

Stallion Free said:
It's the apocalypse. They have seen witches do brutal things. Calling her a bitch is actually on the nicer side of things.

It's out of place especially because of her nature and the lack of diatribes thrown at the other special infected.

I wish it was not there.

Edit: Actually Coach does say something about the Spitter which certainly doesn't annoy me due to the fact she is already malevolent.

Heavy's Sandvich said:
It's out of place especially because of her nature and the lack of diatribes thrown at the other special infected.

I wish it was not there.

Edit: Actually Coach does say something about the Spitter which certainly doesn't annoy me due to the fact she is already malevolent.
As already pointed out, the Jockey is "one of them leapin'-on-your-back-bitches".

Twig

Banned
Heavy's Sandvich said:
It looks I'm alone in my annoyance then.
Yes, because it is completely nonsensical. This is a world that has gone to hell. It is not unreasonable or out of character for someone to go from the word "witch" to the word "bitch", even if that so-called bitch is not unrelentingly aggressive.

Imagine a scenario where you, one time, in this world, run into a "witch". You are with a friend. She is crying. Your friend feels pity. He approaches, and is summarily annihilated by this thing. Later, you learn it is called a "witch" from whatever source. Unsurprisingly, you garner some hostility toward this witch and make the leap over the Grand Canyon that is changing one letter to another.

Furthermore, it's not as if Coach is some saint whose mouth is untainted by cursing of any sort. People swear. This is a fact of life.

Top Bottom