• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

Blizzard

Banned
I tried the tank mutation before it went away. It went okay (and the other team accused us of hacking/exploiting...the only thing I know of is one teammate may have melee'd the No Mercy garage door down) and we lost. The tanks do indeed spawn way behind the other players, the no mercy event seemed to have hardly any zombies, and we always seemed to have more zombies for events/randomly standing around than their team did. :lol We might have just been bad at killing them or finding pipe bombs, however. Everyone died on the elevator and finale maps, but I think at least 1-2 people survived most of the other maps.

Sibylus

Banned
Heavy's Sandvich said:
One action is done out of necessity the other from volition.

I'm intrigued now, how many of you guys kill witches that pose no threat?

Not that doing so makes you out to be some sort of monster, just intrigued to hear of people's playing styles.
If she's tucked away in some obscure corner and there's little chance of startling her, sure, I usually elect to move on. But if there's an event or a tank or some other complication in the cards, sometimes it's safest to take her out. One less wrench in the works if things go bad.

Arkaerial

Unconfirmed Member
I usually take out the witch every chance I get. As soon as I pass her a smoker pulls me right in, or a jockey will have me waltzing right up to her. So I feel a little better known the 1 hit incapacitating ginsu is out of the way.

Arkaerial said:
I usually take out the witch every chance I get. As soon as I pass her a smoker pulls me right in, or a jockey will have me waltzing right up to her. So I feel a little better known the 1 hit incapacitating ginsu is out of the way.
not only that but smoker bots are also learning how to use the witch to their advantage :(

Ferga

speculawyer said:
So how do you kill a witch anyway? Something like: Push her and then two shotgun blasts to the head?

I've seen people stand right in front of her with a shotgun and wait til she starts rising up then shoot her head.

Had a strange graphical glitch yesterday on the Sacrifice:

c7m1docks0000.jpg

Ha, I see what you mean now.

I should point out that after Heavy went a bit mental over Witches yesterday I made a point of yelling "BITCH" and throwing a molotov at every one I could see. Just for you, GAF!

Foliorum Viridum said:
Ha, I see what you mean now.

I should point out that after Heavy went a bit mental over Witches yesterday I made a point of yelling "BITCH" and throwing a molotov at every one I could see. Just for you, GAF!

And I didn't help when he was chased; but Foliorum is a simple fella.

I wonder if you timed your melee swings perfect if all 4 survivors could startle the witch at the same time and get simultaneously incapped.

Has that been done before?

Holy shit. I was just playing the end of the second campaign with my brother, and just as we started the rock concert, an earthquake hit (well, one of the bigger aftershocks we've had since early last month).

There's nothing quite like the dilemma of deciding whether to run for cover or keep shooting zombies. :lol

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
toasty_T said:
I wonder if you timed your melee swings perfect if all 4 survivors could startle the witch at the same time and get simultaneously incapped.

Well she gets stunned by the initial attack and melee does a shit load of damage so if every gets in two swings she goes down pretty much instantly, even on Expert.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Stallion Free said:
Well she gets stunned by the initial attack and melee does a shit load of damage so if every gets in two swings she goes down pretty much instantly, even on Expert.

Honestly, I think the witch could be incapped with as few as two people, if they get the timing right. I know that we've taken down a witch and I didn't get my swing in quickly enough.

vertopci

toasty_T said:

No she would be dead. Each melee = 250 dmg on witch. Witch has 1000 HP.

edit: Oh wait, did you mean right click melee?

Volcynika

Update

New Mutation: Hunting Party
Fixed door exploit in No Mercy
Now Allow thirdperson settings in cooperative game modes
Fixed add-on campaigns not always appearing in the campaign selection screen
Restored dedicated server support for add-on campaigns
Fixed some rendering artifacts on Mac
Added support for Russian audio in The Sacrifice and No Mercy
Game correctly recognizes the audio language set in Steam

Hunting Party, Comics Going Mobile, Did you Win?

Hunting Party
Nothing but Hunters on the prowl.
In this Coop Mutation we pit you against non-stop hunters. No booms, no spit, no tongues, no charges, no being ridden… Great practice on dead stopping a hunter pounce.

The Sacrifice comic has gone mobile.
The Sacrifice is now available on the iPhone and iPad.

How do you get it?
Go to the App store on your iphone/ipad.
Download the Comixology app (be sure to get the one that says “Comics” not “Pull List”)
Use the search engine to find Left 4 Dead.
Download for Free! When it is finished, go to bottom of the U.I. and you will find it in “my comics”.
Thanks to everyone at Comixology for getting this up.

We also added a zip file on the comic's extra page that contains all the panels with the words and SFX removed. This way you can create your own story or translate The Sacrifice to a language other than English or just make Zoey say all those things you’ve been hoping she would.

Did you win?
You get to the end of the Sacrifice. You and three friends are on the bridge and someone needs to jump down. You offer to do it yourself, so you jump down, restart the generator and save the team.

Do you consider that you won the Campaign or did you just sacrifice yourself so your team won?

Next week – Lone Gunman

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Boonoo said:
And wouldn't that make for a vastly overpowered infected team? You'd be getting double and triple incaps all the time.
Well 4 tanks is vastly over-powered too, these mutations are just fun. And some of us long for the days when you could do quad caps.

Blizzard

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Well 4 tanks is vastly over-powered too, these mutations are just fun. And some of us long for the days when you could do quad caps.
Did you play the tank mutation? People were surviving 2-3 out of the 5 maps with it, and it wasn't like we were that good at the game due to how slow tanks are and how far behind they spawn (especially on maps where you can't suicide). I think they may have tweaked some settings so it was easier on survivors, though.

At any rate, I agree that the hunter thing would probably be fun, maybe moreso in L4D1.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Blizzard said:
Did you play the tank mutation? People were surviving 2-3 out of the 5 maps with it, and it wasn't like we were that good at the game due to how slow tanks are and how far behind they spawn (especially on maps where you can't suicide). I think they may have tweaked some settings so it was easier on survivors, though.

At any rate, I agree that the hunter thing would probably be fun, maybe moreso in L4D1.
Yeah, my group actually played a number of rounds with the tank mode and we almost never survived except in shortass maps that are easy to run. Then again we don't suck at tanking and know the maps well so that we can catch up.

vazel

Banned
Branduil said:
What was the door exploit in No Mercy?
This glitch was back in the l4d2 port. I don't remember survivors having to melee it so damn much in the l4d2 version though. But maybe that's because there were four survivors doing it.

Blizzard said:

It depends on the map, but a lot of them have chokepoints that you can block with a tank. Basically if you cant keep rushing, you are screwed as survivor. There are not a lot of maps were it's easy to survive.

Fireye

OmegaDragon said:
It depends on the map, but a lot of them have chokepoints that you can block with a tank. Basically if you cant keep rushing, you are screwed as survivor. There are not a lot of maps were it's easy to survive.

I only did this on Dead Center, but I was able to successfully rush every level. Ones that COULD'VE been a problem would've been the first level of dead center, where if your buddy is incapped, you have to wait for them to die before you can use the elevator.

Blizzard

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Yeah, my group actually played a number of rounds with the tank mode and we almost never survived except in shortass maps that are easy to run. Then again we don't suck at tanking and know the maps well so that we can catch up.
OmegaDragon said:
Right, and thus all the survivors died on the elevator and finale areas of no mercy. The problem happened in the case of, say, no mercy 3, where they either had pipe bombs or hardly any bombs showed up for the panic event. We spawned so far back that they were practically already on the roof by the time we got to the open area, and we screwed up blocking the door downstairs so a survivor got through. Once a survivor gets through that door, they basically are free for the rest of the map.

It might be similar in no mercy 1 (no panic events, tanks might spawn behind the survivors with no way to catch up besides the roof, not sure if I played that or started on the second map) and no mercy 2 (unless the tanks catch up quickly, survivors can make it under the panic event garage door and are home free once they hit the upstairs).

Of course, despite me being the best player ever, and an expert at knowing the maps, my teammates might have made some mistakes, plus we didn't play non-no-mercy maps. :(

God damn your tempting Valve. I was looking forward to only hunters in versus :(

vertopci said:
edit: Oh wait, did you mean right click melee?

I was unaware that melee weapons did 250 damage on witches. I thought Stallion was being a dick with his advice :lol

Nudging might work but that does damage too doesn't it? If I recall correctly, around 4 nudges can kill a jockey. It must be possible to completely confuse the witch without killing her.

By the way, the NM3 glitch is still there, hopefully Valve can finally lock that down. Also I saw a new (to me) glitch on NM2; after walking down the escalators at the start, one survivor turned right, went through the ticket barriers and then somehow got up the far collapsed staircase.

Sadly I didn't see exactly how he did it, I was too busy typing, calling them a bunch of cunts for leaving the saferoom when it was 4 vs 1.

Which leads me onto something else, the majority of my L4D1/2 experiences have been on Japanese servers, but a couple of weeks ago I came back to Euroland. It seems as though here, nobody waits for the other team slots to fill up before starting and I wanted to ask; is this something new that's occurred since the recent L4D sale (influx of new players who don't quite understand) or just the default 'western' way of playing? I think I've been spoiled by Japanese politeness. They even wait halfway through a level if someone quits.

Left 4 Dead 2 Update Released
Product Update - Valve
Updates to Left 4 Dead 2 have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The major changes include:

Left 4 Dead 2
Fixed the fix of the fix of the fix of the door exploit in No Mercy

hehe

Blizzard

Banned
I didn't try the hunter mutation, and I didn't see anyone else posting comments about trying it, so I assume it was the best mutation ever. :lol

blog said:
Lone Gunman
You and your Magnum against the deadly horde and Boomers.
So you have your Magnum pistol and… well you do have your Magnum pistol. You better be counting bullets because four swipes by a common and you are dead. Getting boomed? Forget about it.

Did you win?
Last week we asked - Do you consider that you won the Campaign when you sacrifice yourself to restart the generator or did you just sacrifice yourself so your team won? Is it individual or team glory?

68% of you consider it a team victory and 32% of you believe you lost. For the 32% that either means you never go yourself or you really are a team player. This is one of those questions where we assumed the answer would have been closer to 95% of the people choosing you won. So if you have time, explain your votes in the forums or on our Facebook pages.

Do you rock?
With two Midnight Riders songs on Rock Band, have you ever played any of the Midnight Rider songs?

Next week: Bleed Out Versus

leroidys

Been playing this lately after I picked it up on sale... HOLY SHIT its got the worst community in the world. People rage so hard when they lose, blame it on everyone else, teamkill thenext round, start swearing at you and votekick you (even if you kill 50x the zombies as them, do way damage to survivors). It's a mess, basically unplayable in versus online. Campaign is usually OK though.

MoFuzz

leroidys said:
Been playing this lately after I picked it up on sale... HOLY SHIT its got the worst community in the world. People rage so hard when they lose, blame it on everyone else, teamkill thenext round, start swearing at you and votekick you (even if you kill 50x the zombies as them, do way damage to survivors). It's a mess, basically unplayable in versus online. Campaign is usually OK though.
Hahaha, touche. The ratio of douchebags to cool people in pub versus games is astronomically tipped towards the douchers. Try to friend some of the peeps that actually know what they're doing and aren't complete assholes.

Co-op folk are definitely more tolerant but versus is trial by fire without a doubt.

Oh, and having a mic in versus helps reduce the amount of votekicks if you don't have one already.

Omeyocan

Hi !

I have installed Left 4 Dead 2 on my 15" MacBook Pro mid spring 2010. I also purchased a Logitech controller ( dual action ) to play. When I want to configure the settings ( after I activated the controller ), it seems that some functions are not allowed, like turn left or right with the right analog stick. In that case, it does shows me instead "left shoulder" or something like that.

I also tried with my PS3 controller and it's the same mess.

Anyone got the solution to my problem ?

Thanks.

Omeyocan said:
Hi !

I have installed Left 4 Dead 2 on my 15" MacBook Pro mid spring 2010. I also purchased a Logitech controller ( dual action ) to play. When I want to configure the settings ( after I activated the controller ), it seems that some functions are not allowed, like turn left or right with the right analog stick. In that case, it does shows me instead "left shoulder" or something like that.

I also tried with my PS3 controller and it's the same mess.

Anyone got the solution to my problem ?

Thanks.

Try a 360 controller emulator, I tried a wii classic controller for shits and giggles and had to use one for the right thumbstick to work-

http://www.jayceooi.com/2009/01/19/download-xbox-360-controller-emulator-for-pc-games/

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Hey Versus GAF, if you ever need an extra man, I'm up for some, though I'm out of practice with the Infected.

Top Bottom