• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

Daigoro

dangeROSS said:
Cool. I'll look for you. I'm still trying to get used to Steam and PC gaming in general. I'm a newcomer to PC gaming as a whole. Also, I stayed up until 4 Last night playing the Parish level with some friends. This game has become my crack.

k let me know. i should be around today too. ill be on and off.

yeah The Parish. that level can take a while sometimes. :lol ive spent way too many hours stuck on that level with some teams.

Volcynika

New moooooootation (slightly retooled Hard Eight)

December 17th Update
December 17, 2010 - L4D Team

Special Delivery, The Walking Dead, The Next Mutation

Special Delivery
These Specials deliver non-stop action!

This Mutation is a variation of Hard Eight. Spawn timers have been removed and the Special spawn cap has been raised to ten. The changes sound subtle, but they really mix up the gameplay.

The Walking Dead?
Last poll asked if you were watching the television series The Walking Dead. If it is available in your area - you are. 55% of 360 players and 49% of PC players are watching. 20% of the PC players did not have it available in their area compared to 15% on the 360. This variation matches the geographical makeup of each player base as there is a slightly greater International mix of players on the PC.

Mutation Madness!
With today’s Mutation, we are releasing for the first time for us community created content on the XBOX 360. This is only the first with many more to follow. Some Mutations will be takes on existing ones and some will take us into wild variations. We wanted to start with something familiar and move from there.

It has been great playing all the community Mutations and we can’t wait to release more for everyone to play. With that in mind, while we can see what Mutations are the most popular, the numbers can be misleading. That number only shows us what people play but doesn’t tell us what they want to play. Right now the most popular Mutations are Coop then Versus. But our question to you is what game mode should the next Mutation be? Vote in this week’s poll to let us know.

Holiday Schedule
We will have another update and blog post in two weeks and then we will get back to a regular schedule of a Mutation every two weeks, a featured campaigns on the off week, and more frequent blog posts. For upcoming posts we are going to look at the data we have gathered from our Realism Versus tests, the impact of playing with friends, a look at coop and more.

I just picked this game up and played through the first sublevel.

Coach got stuck on some geometry near a fire and fell down and had to be revived. When I tried to revive him I got badly burned and was also downed. Somehow Rochelle was able to revive me so I cleared the area and figured I'd just the coach die on account of being such a dumbass. Well then she got stuck too. Coach died, she was stuck and I made a run for the safehouse. Nick I guess stayed behind to try to help her and they both died.

This game came out over a year ago. I was pretty shocked at how bad the friendly AI is. Please tell me this was an isolated incident. I don't remember it being that bad in the 1st game.

vazel

Banned
BloodySinner said:
Why does this game not receive TF2-like support from Valve?
What are you talking about this game has received a lot of support. Free dlc campaigns and a bunch of little updates.

Revolutionary said:
That is why no one plays singleplayer.
Yeah I guess so.

I wish you could actually customize the game a little (on console), I'd take out all my helper buddies and also remove the super zombies. Make it just me against the real zombies.

Oh well. Maybe in L3ft 4 D3ad they'll let me do that. But I doubt it.

So I'm getting fucked by my performance.

Radeon 5850
Phenom II X4 955 3.2ghz
4GB Ram

At 2048x1152, everything max, 8xAA/16xAF, I get 20-30 fps.

I turn off AA, AF and Vsync and it goes up to 40ish.

Using latest drivers etc so what's the deal? I should be getting 130fps, not 30! Anyone here had similar issues? I know you lot are dedicated to the game!

Xdrive05

Foliorum Viridum said:

Radeon 5850
Phenom II X4 955 3.2ghz
4GB Ram

At 2048x1152, everything max, 8xAA/16xAF, I get 20-30 fps.

I turn off AA, AF and Vsync and it goes up to 40ish.

Using latest drivers etc so what's the deal? I should be getting 130fps, not 30! Anyone here had similar issues? I know you lot are dedicated to the game!

For comparison I have:

Geforce GTX 260 core55 896mb
Phenom II X4 940 Black @ 3.4GHz
8GB Ram

I play with maxed settings at 1680x1050, 16xAA/16xAF, vsync locked at 75 hertz and it never dips. My GPU is at most probably half of yours. So it's either a driver/ATI issue (doubt it) or something else is going on.

Do you have multicore rendering enabled?

Yes. My clock speeds are right in MSI Afterburner, and it's using 99% of the GPU.

I'm hoping a delete/reinstall will fix the problem, but I can't do that until tonight, so I'm just trying to determine what is making it go crazy.

Sibylus

Banned
Special Delivery is awesome and brutal, one of the best mutations yet imo.

RocketDarkness said:
Because properly creating a 2+ map campaign takes far,far more resources than a few multiplayer FPS maps and items?
Left 4 Dead also probably doesn't have a Robin Walker (aka one of Team Fortress's creators, an apparent diehard who seemingly hasn't taken a break in forever).

MoFuzz

Foliorum Viridum said:
You aren't using the in game server browser are you? I had major issues with it back when I was on XP. Basically, everytime you pulled it up, the framerate for all game modes was crippled down to the teens.

Haven't had the issue since I switched to Windows 7 though.

Also, did you try verifying game files through Steam?

MoFuzz said:
You aren't using the in game server browser are you? I had major issues with it back when I was on XP. Basically, everytime you pulled it up, the framerate for all game modes was crippled down to the teens.

Haven't had the issue since I switched to Windows 7 though.

Also, did you try verifying game files through Steam?
Yeah, I verified them. And, no, I don't use that. I even tried single player and it's the same.

:(

Windows 7, 64bit here too.

So I played through all the chapters or whatever theyre called (360 version.) I was kind of shocked at the amount of bugs I encountered, this a year after release. For one, the friendly AI getting trapped in that spot I mentioned on the last page. Then one chapter started me out sideways, under the ground (hard to describe but it was fucked.) Then in the last chapter, at multiple times there was very loud audio of water rushing (like a river) despite there being no river, anywhere. It was really bad and lasted probably 10-15 minutes.

All in all though I'm glad I played it, me and my buddy had fun running through on easy. Also glad I only spent $20 and not $60 or $50 when it came out.

Also it makes me wonder about the next game. I don't think they can get away with pretty much doing the same thing for a 3rd time in a row. I'd like to see more of a focus on exploration and longer term survival next go around.

Mr_Zombie

I've played a Versus 10 vs 10 with some custom rules (you can crawl when injured, can turn on berserk mode, can jump as a Jockey when humping a survivor etc) recently in a custom game. It was... it was.. AWESOME! :D

Finally got this game. :D

I couldn't find any thread in the online community forum so I thought I would bump this one. Looking for anyone who wants to do a normal or hard playthrough in the regular campaign. I'm in the gaf l4d group as well.

Anyone who still plays the regular campaign on PC feel free to add me.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197978617538

Also, Ted Striker in the GAF group.

theBishop

Banned
I got this working today with a dualshock controller. :D

I don't understand why they busted it. In L4D, you could control all the menus with the gamepad. In L4D2, you can only control menus after the game is launched. You need to use a mouse to actually join a match. HTPC--;

PC developers: Please make total gamepad support your New Year's resolution. I don't expect Starcraft2 to work, but if a game is also available on console, there's no good reason to leave it out of the PC version.

MNC

Neuromancer said:
So I played through all the chapters or whatever theyre called (360 version.) I was kind of shocked at the amount of bugs I encountered, this a year after release. For one, the friendly AI getting trapped in that spot I mentioned on the last page. Then one chapter started me out sideways, under the ground (hard to describe but it was fucked.) Then in the last chapter, at multiple times there was very loud audio of water rushing (like a river) despite there being no river, anywhere. It was really bad and lasted probably 10-15 minutes.

All in all though I'm glad I played it, me and my buddy had fun running through on easy. Also glad I only spent $20 and not $60 or $50 when it came out.

Also it makes me wonder about the next game. I don't think they can get away with pretty much doing the same thing for a 3rd time in a row. I'd like to see more of a focus on exploration and longer term survival next go around.
Easy? You should definitely crack it up to atleast Normal/Advanced and play through it again. Challenging but not frustrating.

srenity

Neo Member
Neuromancer said:

Were you playing Hard Rain? The chapter before the finale has a lot of rain. They even distort the in-game mics so you can't hear other players (even CPU players) to add to the atmosphere.

This game is supposed to be played with other players, for sure. If you're playing with other human players, just play Normal to start out. Easy is probably ideal for beginners that play with CPU players.

Raggy

Banned
Going through all campaign to get that expert achivement. Yesterday was Swamp fever.

First map is pretty though, and with only random pubbies, we get nowhere near the end. Finally a friend joined, and us 2 get it done quite easily.
A few randoms joined and quit, noone not any near good enough for expert (why they keep playing at a level above them is beyond me). On the map before finale, my friend has to leave, leaving me with pubbies again. Sigh, they are worse, way worse than the bots.
In the end I ended up doing this map, and the final with only the bots!

Daigoro

Neuromancer said:

that audio glitch is kind of new i think.

its the violent storm audio from the Hard Rain campaign. its only supposed to happen when a storm kicks up on certain levels. but i encountered it the other day in broad daylight on a totally different campaign. weird stuff.

ive never really encountered many other glitches at all in the 360 version, and ive played a lot. so dunno about any of that other stuff.

and that other guy was right. play on higher difficulties. running through on easy is almost pointless. zero challenge there. the game is way more rewarding when you actually have to use teamwork to survive.

Raggy

Banned
Couple of questions:

How do I open the console?

I've enabled it in the menu, but hitting the tilde key does nothing.

How do you spectate when dead? I'm only able to see from the live players POV.

Console is indeed tilde, I'm not sure why it isn't coming up if you've enabled it.

When dead press space to change view. Ghost mode is one of the views.

I'd nominate this for GOTY again if I could. This is me and a group of friends' number one most-played game. The co-op experience is unparalleled - and as a side effect it keeps me from being interested in stuff like Reach and BLOPS because campaign runs on expert are just so much more rewarding, IMHO.

Best game of the forever, in terms of fun and teamwork. Until L4D3 comes out, which I will also buy.

Gui_PT

So I recently got this game and I'm loving it, but I cannot continue playing with randoms :lol

Add Monolith Gui if you're interested in playing

derFeef

Gui_PT said:
So I recently got this game and I'm loving it, but I cannot continue playing with randoms :lol

Add Monolith Gui if you're interested in playing
Hm could not find you, I guess you only play on 360?

Sibylus

Banned
derFeef said:
Do you have a competent PC? I might have something for you....
fff22069.gif

_Bro

Banned
Woo, upgrading my Mac OS so I can play this game -- err, think about playing this game. Not sure if I want to drop $20 on it but... I'm so bored of playing just TF2 with my friend.

People who have played this game, tell me if it is worth the $20! Please, help me avoid playing MMO trials so my pal and I don't resort to hat questing. Or let us do that if it's a good $20 save.

_Bro said:
Woo, upgrading my Mac OS so I can play this game -- err, think about playing this game. Not sure if I want to drop $20 on it but... I'm so bored of playing just TF2 with my friend.

People who have played this game, tell me if it is worth the $20! Please, help me avoid playing MMO trials so my pal and I don't resort to hat questing. Or let us do that if it's a good $20 save.
If you like zombie games, this is hands down, one of the best out there.

Nabs

_Bro said:

It's worth the $35 I paid for it and more. Much more.

_Bro

Banned
Oh, I was expecting a little more info about it but that's okay!

I guess what I really want to know is about the performance. Are the gameplay improvements good enough to warrant the performance hit I'm going to take compared to the first one? Is the map design better than the first? Versus characters more thrilling?

I've watched videos but I haven't seen any great attacks on the survivors.

MoFuzz

_Bro said:
Oh, I was expecting a little more info about it but that's okay!

I guess what I really want to know is about the performance. Are the gameplay improvements good enough to warrant the performance hit I'm going to take compared to the first one? Is the map design better than the first? Versus characters more thrilling?

I've watched videos but I haven't seen any great attacks on the survivors.
It sounds like you are familiar with the first game.

There are three more playable infected, all of which are useful when coordinating attacks with your teammates.

They've added melee weapons, doubled the amount of guns and heavily modified the gore system so infected get blown up real good in often humorous ways.

You just need to play with people that know how to co-ordinate. The vanilla game is heavily tipped in the survivors favour though, so competitive matches often use mods like confogl to limit the weaponry/healing items.

If co-op's your thing, the campaign has better variety IMO than the first game. Unfortunately, with co-op in mind, a few of the maps don't translate as well to versus when you're playing as infected.

Overall, well worth the money, but you really should have picked it up during the three times it was on sale since November. :lol

_Bro

Banned
MoFuzz said:
It sounds like you are familiar with the first game.

There are three more playable infected, all of which are useful when coordinating attacks with your teammates.

They've added melee weapons, doubled the amount of guns and heavily modified the gore system so infected get blown up real good in often humorous ways.

You just need to play with people that know how to co-ordinate. The vanilla game is heavily tipped in the survivors favour though, so competitive matches often use mods like confogl to limit the weaponry/healing items.

If co-op's your thing, the campaign has better variety IMO than the first game. Unfortunately, with co-op in mind, a few of the maps don't translate as well to versus when you're playing as infected.

Overall, well worth the money, but you really should have picked it up during the three times it was on sale since November. :lol
I had no idea I was going to have this computer or else I would have.

It sounds good enough but I'm pretty sure the mac doesn't work with mods yets. So I guess that means I'd need to play vanilla servers and it sounds like those don't really exist anymore.

Maybe I'll find a copy of XP around here and I can just bootcamp.

vertopci

Lets play some L4D1 and L4D2 tonight! Fuck yea!

_Bro said:
It sounds good enough but I'm pretty sure the mac doesn't work with mods yets. So I guess that means I'd need to play vanilla servers and it sounds like those don't really exist anymore.

Mods are server based, not client based so you have nothing to worry about.
Except that mac! Ba dum tish!

Top Bottom