• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

Gui_PT

Anyone with the game on the 360 interested in finishing the campaigns on expert?

I keep trying with a friend but the bots are so dumb, it's useless.

We're desperate

Sibylus

Banned
Gabe Newell talked about Left 4 Dead 2 a bit on a podcast recently, it was fairly amusing and informative:

http://www.thesteamcast.com/episodes/48/

Backstepper: spider323 wants to know: ‘What did you learn from the early release of Left-4-Dead 2? I mean, it was the fastest sequel you ever released.’

Newell: I think it was interesting. I mean, I don’t how much inside baseball people want to know. But for us, there was sort of this argument internally about a couple of different things. So Tom Leonard, who led the L4D2 project, said that it would be useful for the company as a whole to be able to prove that we could ship a product on time, or rather than constraining resources or rather than constraining quality that we constrained time. He proved that we could ship a product on a very specific schedule. It’s not something we’re necessarily going to do very often. It’s good to know that we can do it, and that there were a bunch of lessons we learned about how do you do Triage, how do you think about quality, how do you think about features. That was all really useful from a development perspective. So people who have worked in development situations know what I’m talking about, about the organizational lessons you have to learn in order to do something that way. I also think it was interesting to me personally to realize how much angst it caused the community when we did do that, and that surprised me and I’m sort of annoyed with myself that I was surprised because it would have been easier to do a better job than we did at talking about that initially to customers. It really was very much like, ‘Look, we’re going to do something in a year’. And it was very much, ‘Oh my God, they’re only taking a year to do something’. And it was that second reaction that we were ill-prepared for and it was stupid, really on my part than anybody’s elses, not to anticipate that and to do a better job of explaining what was going on. We’re not going to do that very often. It’s nice to know we can do it. Nobody’s like, ‘oh, let’s ship a new L4D every year until the end of time’.

Johnson: There’s some unique factors there too that…

Newell: There were a group of people who really wanted to do it which surprised me.

Johnson: Yes! That’s the tiebreaker. Internally, on anything, the people that are going to do the work want to do the work, then no one’s going to get in their way.

Newell: I thought everybody was sick and tired of L4D after we shipped it. I thought it would be like two or three years before we would go back and do anything major in that space. Instead, they were like, ‘we want to go into crunch mode next week!’. It’s like, ‘Oh my God!’.

Johnson: Are you sure? Yes? Okay. (laughs)

Newell:
‘Are you sure? Can I talk you out of that?’ One thing that may or may not be obvious to people from the outside is that a lot of our decisions internally are heavily affected by people's interest and excitement in working on it. And it’s not because we’re self-indulgent employers. It’s that there’s a huge amount of information encoded in that kind of voting. So essentially creating a marketplace internally for ways that people can invest their time. The biggest danger for the company is that any one person starts making decisions for everybody else. Because even ‘super-genius Gabe’ is full of hideously bad ideas.

The easiest way for us to know I’ve had yet another really bad idea is that no one wants to work on it. When a bunch of people really want to work on something there’s probably going to be a lot of value. The PS3 for Portal 2 really came out of that. I mean, we were right at the sort of tipping point of ‘do we, or don’t we’? I personally was really excited to work with Sony to get Steam running on the PS3 because I think there’s a lot of benefits to us and a lot of benefits to our partners if we do that. But the tipping point was that guys like Vapally and Sergay totally wanted to work on the PS3 again because they’d worked on it before they came to Valve. So that was the thing that made it easy to make the decision. I don’t know if that marketplace of where you spend your time has really been discussed at Valve in the past and the public but it really influences a huge amount of our decision-making.

Johnson: If you want to know how project's are doing at Valve you ask people, ‘are you having fun’? And are you having fun means a whole bunch of things and it’s different for different people.

Newell:
And it’s a term of art inside of Valve.

Johnson: Yeah, I mean, ‘are you having fun’ could mean that you’re working like crazy but that’s what you think is the right thing to do. Fun for people here usually means the time I’m spending right now feels like it’s the right thing to do.

Daigoro

thats cool. thanks for posting Bot.

Gui_PT said:
Anyone with the game on the 360 interested in finishing the campaigns on expert?

I keep trying with a friend but the bots are so dumb, it's useless.

We're desperate

ill help if you still want to do it.

GT is in profile send me a request if youre still up for it.

Gui_PT

Daigoro said:
thats cool. thanks for posting Bot.

ill help if you still want to do it.

GT is in profile send me a request if youre still up for it.

I actually just finished them all yesterday =P

But it'd be cool if you were interested in playing versus. Lemme know, will ya?

Daigoro

thats cool. congrats.

yeah id be up for some vs sometimes sure. did you ever beat expert realism? id be down to help with that too.

i have werid hours though, depends on the day. i work nights Sun-Wed. we can try to schedule something.

Finally, the L4D campaigns are on their way. See you in the barn!

Sorry for the recent lack of updates, we have been working on a surprise and here it is.

Matthew Lourdelet (2 Evil Eyes) has been working on a new community campaign – Cold Stream. We loved 2 Evil Eyes and Cold Stream looks even more promising with innovative game play arenas and effects. Matthew has really shown that there are still plenty of new ideas in L4D2 modding.

He recently shared it with us and we love it so far but it isn’t done. We were tempted to have him quietly finish it with our help and release it as part of an upcoming DLC.

Tempted… but we decided against that. Instead, we think we have a better idea. We want you the community to be part of the process of taking his unfinished campaign and releasing it as DLC on the Xbox 360, PC and Mac.

Since Matthew already has a start on the campaign, we need to back up a little in the process before we go forward.

The very first step in creating a new DLC is deciding on the larger goals and constraints for the DLC. The Sacrifice and the Passing were story heavy, so we want to see what the other end of the spectrum looks like. For this DLC we start with wanting to experiment by releasing a map pack that wasn’t about story. It would just be new campaigns for Left 4 Dead 2.

That makes the first constraint no new audio or story.

The easiest starting point for new campaigns is the three remaining Left 4 Dead 1 campaigns, so the DLC will include those. We also want something brand new and Cold Stream is the perfect fit.

That’s the start of the DLC. We have the basic information but we don't even have a name or release date yet.

We will hold off on the name for now.

That leaves the release date. The answer to when the DLC will be released is simple for now, sometime after Portal 2. Why don’t we set some date in stone right now? Because the real answer to when we are going to release something is always – when it’s ready.

Quality is a function of time and resources. So we can throw more people at the problem and/or take longer. We like to not constrain ourselves by either, so at this point we are willing to say - “Let’s not set a date yet, we’ll know better later.” Of course, that is also why the concept of Valve Time exists but later you will see why “Valve Time” is a good thing, not a bad thing.

For now, that’s it.

In the next few weeks we will add Cold Stream to the UI (user interface) and we will all begin testing it. As we receive feedback and test data we will also share some data we collect on player experience and show how we put that data to use. We will include you with regular posts, polls, and updates.

We have created a special forum just for feedback on the campaign and this project (Cold Stream Forum). While the beta will only be available for PC and Mac users, we appreciate feedback and ideas from the entire community. This is an experiment for us, so please let us know what you think and what you would like to see in the DLC – just remember the constraints.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Nice. I just got my PC together so I'm ready for some real Left 4 Dead action, and revisiting the OG campaigns in 2 is just what I need.

Threadworthy news if you ask me.

I'm surprised about the lack of excitement over community-made DLC hitting the xbox and steam channels. Either that or the news hasn't reached everyone yet.

Speculation: Coinciding with the what Gabe Newell stated in the Steamcast regarding community participation and what the TF2 Mann-conomy has offered, I think this may give fans an incentive (even cold, hard cash) to put more quality time with custom content creation for L4D Series. I'm only creative enough to believe that it'll mainly be campaigns, which, at a quick glance, appears to be more cumbersome to contribute in. Keep in mind that the blog stated that they're experimenting and seem to be only in the beginning stages of this ecosystem of making custom content official DLC.

What I'm definitely sure about is that it means more entertainment for all of us... and we get to participate. I'm very excited for this!

Sibylus

Banned
The remaining main L4D1 campaigns, and a custom campaign now going official? And more coming down the pipe?

My body is so fucking ready.

Daigoro

Gui_PT said:
I actually just finished them all yesterday =P

But it'd be cool if you were interested in playing versus. Lemme know, will ya?

do you have The Passing?

Sacrifizzle is the only achievement i have left. i want to bust that one out before the new DLC comes out. should have plenty of time to work on it.

ill be around today and tomorrow jut about all day (starting in about 4 hrs from now)

Nessus

CaptainAhab said:
I put close to 300 hours into Left 4 Dead 1, and now I almost never play either game because it's too hard to get through a campaign without everyone rage quitting.

1. Play with friends who actually want to play.

2. Play campaign and not Versus.

Gui_PT

Daigoro said:
do you have The Passing?

Sacrifizzle is the only achievement i have left. i want to bust that one out before the new DLC comes out. should have plenty of time to work on it.

ill be around today and tomorrow jut about all day (starting in about 4 hrs from now)

Yeah, I have all DLC.

MY GT is on my profile just send a message or FR whenever you can

ameratsu

played on a server with the confogl config for the first time. Pretty good, i liked almost all of the changes.

my only beef is when it spawns two of the same tier 1 (ie: two identical smgs) and that common infected are too easy to kill. Some hybrid of confogl and realism versus (no outlines/harder common) with an infected selector would be godly.

Hey You

Original Mutations coming back to L4D2 so people have a chance to earn the "Mutation Overlord" achievement:

Starting this Friday we are going to cycle back to the original Mutations for a little bit. After our recent poll about community Mutations we received many emails pointing out that you cannot earn Mutant Overlord playing custom mutations. Don’t stop with the Mutation ideas, we will come back to community Mutations. We are just taking a little break for now.
http://www.l4d.com/blog/post.php?id=5030

Do you guys think/hope that Valve is working on L4D3? Its taking them a while to announce/make it compared to L4D1 & 2. Maybe they are changing something up or giving us a fresh experience.

Blizzard

Banned
Hey You said:
Original Mutations coming back to L4D2 so people have a chance to earn the "Mutation Overlord" achievement:

http://www.l4d.com/blog/post.php?id=5030

Do you guys think/hope that Valve is working on L4D3? Its taking them a while to announce/make it compared to L4D1 & 2. Maybe they are changing something up or giving us a fresh experience.
I hope so. I'm hoping they charge twice as much as the last one, too -- that many mutations have to be worth something! Also I'm hoping they're working on L4D3, because otherwise they might get bored and do HL2:Episode3 or something, and no one wants THAT.

One Ok Rock

Neo Member
I've been trying to get into VSes lately but I just can't stand all the bullshit that goes on. Name calling, kicking for no reason, team killers. It's like the polar opposite of TF2 sometimes. I guess it's partly because of the lower player count. :/

Campaign is great though. It's just too easy a lot of the time.

One Ok Rock said:
I've been trying to get into VSes lately but I just can't stand all the bullshit that goes on. Name calling, kicking for no reason, team killers. It's like the polar opposite of TF2 sometimes. I guess it's partly because of the lower player count. :/

Campaign is great though. It's just too easy a lot of the time.
I'm the same but on custom servers. I'm new to PC gaming, so I don't know if it's for a ton of games, but all this crazy "!buy" stuff is new to me. I'm still playing the game like I'm used to (I don't really buy stuff) but last night was the first time people have called me out for being a "fucking idiot."

Apparently the opposing team bought two Tanks or something and I was the only one left standing in an 11-man team (I was being hunted by the Tank and a ton of zombies, plus I was biled on) and I missed ONE guy that was being Hunter'd and suddenly I'm the scum of my team. It wasn't very pleasant afterward, even after I apologized. Sheesh.

That said, I'd love to play L4D2 with some of you. I love the game; mainly campaign. I usually go into custom servers for Versus to have fun because I love the craziness; plus, there's more room to make mistakes and not feel bad for letting your 4-man team down.

Volcynika

dragonlife29 said:
I'm the same but on custom servers. I'm new to PC gaming, so I don't know if it's for a ton of games, but all this crazy "!buy" stuff is new to me. I'm still playing the game like I'm used to (I don't really buy stuff) but last night was the first time people have called me out for being a "fucking idiot."

Apparently the opposing team bought two Tanks or something and I was the only one left standing in an 11-man team (I was being hunted by the Tank and a ton of zombies, plus I was biled on) and I missed ONE guy that was being Hunter'd and suddenly I'm the scum of my team. It wasn't very pleasant afterward, even after I apologized. Sheesh.

With people like that, I wouldn't bother apologizing. Dicks.

XeroSauce

dragonlife29 said:

If you aren't a regular in modded servers, they generally treat you like scum. Some people play L4D2 exclusively for !buy menu, 12 vs 12 double campaign lobbies, and they regard anyone who doesn't know every in and out of their server a stupid.

PC master race, newest member? This guy.

Sold my 360 copy of L4D2 for the Steam equivalent.... I don't know what to say. Free custom maps, all the DLC without paying for it twice, graphics that make the TV weep....

I'm in heaven.

I've downloaded 2 evil eyes, The Last Stand port job, and I Hate Mountains. Any other suggestions for mod-campaign based excellence?

One 4 Nine was pretty sweet, iirc. It was also featured on the L4D blog.
Thank you, just downloaded that as well. Evidently the guy doing new DLC also made Cold Storage, is that worth checking out too? I might do so just to see what the coder can do.

afternoon delight said:
PC master race, newest member? This guy.

Sold my 360 copy of L4D2 for the Steam equivalent.... I don't know what to say. Free custom maps, all the DLC without paying for it twice, graphics that make the TV weep....

I'm in heaven.

I've downloaded 2 evil eyes, The Last Stand port job, and I Hate Mountains. Any other suggestions for mod-campaign based excellence?

I haven't played a lot of custom campaigns, but I liked:

Detour Ahead
It's a very long campaign though and has a quite some sections where it's not very clear which way you should go. So keep that in mind.
http://www.l4dmaps.com/details.php?file=4094

Helms Deep
Survival map based on LOTR's Helms Deep. Pretty fun, but dont play with bots
http://www.l4dmaps.com/details.php?file=7302

Thanks again guys, keep them coming if you can think of anything else.

Also, if anyone is up for some advanced/expert co-op campaigns, steamid: tehgodfather

Still need to get a mic though. :/

How many hours approximately would a full run through L4D2 take (inc L4D1 ports + all DLC)? L4D1 took me roughly about 2 hours per chapter.

Also what are the chances of a L4D2 Special Edition release, with all the above content, at some point in the future?

-

XeroSauce

Spinning Plates said:
How many hours approximately would a full run through L4D2 take (inc L4D1 ports + all DLC)? L4D1 took me roughly about 2 hours per chapter.

Also what are the chances of a L4D2 Special Edition release, with all the above content, at some point in the future?

-

L4D2 has free DLC, unless you play on a console. I don't think there will be a "GOTY" version, Valve usually doesn't do that because they usually don't sell DLC.

Most of the campaigns are a bit shorter then L4D1, however, there are now 5 + Sacrifice + Passing + No Mercy. I'd say 12 hours on Hard, tops.
Unless you suck.

Try to get a good party though, no one likes stranglers and one-man-army heros who sprint through the level, leaving everyone behind.

Boonoo

afternoon delight said:
Thanks again guys, keep them coming if you can think of anything else.

Also, if anyone is up for some advanced/expert co-op campaigns, steamid: tehgodfather

Still need to get a mic though. :/

As far a mics are concerned I'd go with a standalone plus headphones rather than a headset. I've been using an older version of this one for probably 4 or 5 years. The base broke, but sound quality is still good.
Also, be sure to download mumble. It's used quite a bit in GAF games.

I can only imagine the PC community is 20000x better than 360 casual crowd. :| I was not a happy camper having to host games during peak hours because no one was online.

Edit: and by casual crowd I mean the usual Friday night/Saturday morning type of game playing, not the general community. I didn't mean to sound berating - like I said, I've played it since launch on the 360 and enjoyed every minute (except paying for each DLC. But Valve deserves money so there's no reason to feel bad about that. Gotta pay them hours somehow.)

vertopci

ameratsu said:
played on a server with the confogl config for the first time. Pretty good, i liked almost all of the changes.

my only beef is when it spawns two of the same tier 1 (ie: two identical smgs) and that common infected are too easy to kill. Some hybrid of confogl and realism versus (no outlines/harder common) with an infected selector would be godly.

This man knows how L4D2 VS should be played!

MoFuzz

vertopci said:
This man knows how L4D2 VS should be played!
Pfft, confogl is for n00bz. I roll with vanilla and the amount of skill necessary to p0wn is way more than some stupid ass mod.

You think you know what's best for the game moreso than Valve?

lawl

vertopci

MoFuzz said:
Pfft, confogl is for n00bz. I roll with vanilla and the amount of skill necessary to p0wn is way more than some stupid ass mod.

You think you know what's best for the game moreso than Valve?

lawl

Why you gotta hate on my n00b skillz fuzz?!?! Why fuzz why?!!

_Bro

Banned
I have zero understanding of the multiplayer match interface on PC. You guys are playing confogl and I can't figure out how to do that.

Custom maps? Holy shit, you're blowing my mind.

MoFuzz

_Bro said:
I have zero understanding of the multiplayer match interface on PC. You guys are playing confogl and I can't figure out how to do that.

Custom maps? Holy shit, you're blowing my mind.
Most mods are server-side, meaning you don't need anything additional installed beforehand.

There's the lobby system that's used on 360, plus you can pull up a server browser or connect to specific servers.

But yeah, mods like confogl are for total nubs. Play at your own peril.

In fact, I'm pretty sure there's a group on GAF that plays confogl vs. Unsurprisingly, they are all noobcakes.

Top Bottom