• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

vertopci

TheExodu5 said:
Versus problems are still there.

1) Dedicated servers with shit pings? Check.
2) Rage quitting without penalty? Check.

Don't know what you're talking about for point one dude. My server gave everyone <80 ping except a dude from the west coast who had 150ish. Chances are the dedicated servers you're getting are ones that are opposite the coast that you are on.

V_Arnold

Just watched the GameTrailers review of this game, and I was so irritated that I had to come here and speak up...

What is up with this "it is not so original...it could have changed more" BS that keeps spreading around in the review of theirs? I mean: should they place you in the space with zombies from the moon? It is a zombie-apocalypse game, and complaining about the setting being largely the same as its predecessor is like complaining about playing football in a stadium and on green grass instead of in a Vulcano.

I mean: okay, there has been 2 decent "zombie"-games in the last few years, Dead Rising and Left 4 Dead. Should the creators wait a few more years before another FPS comes out involving zombies, with improved gameplay and more content? Or are they only allowed to make a psycho-drama adventure game only, if it involves zombies again?

Bah.

Nabs

marvelharvey said:
Nice to see the L4D1 bug that randomly moves people between teams is still present. Wouldn't be the same without it.

it happened to us twice on the same map (dead center 3). valve needs to fix this :(

1-D_FTW

Facism said:
Left 4 Dead 2 Official thread of scanning for games updates :'(

You got that right. First time I opened Steam it ran for 2 minutes and I didn't even get that far. Ctl-alt-delete to close it. Second time the steam store loaded, but it was stuck scanning for games. Figured I'd load Firefox while it waited and Firefox couldn't even load (even though it's only using like 1-2 CPU usage.) Did a CPU restart. Gonna try a third time now. Can only imagine what it was like last night.

EDIT: And upon restart, it's been hanging on scan for the last five minutes.

Raydeen

Won't get to play this until Weds evening...but what would you recommend for vetrans of L4D? Dive in with EXPERT? Or start with ADVANCED?

1-D_FTW said:
You got that right. First time I opened Steam it ran for 2 minutes and I didn't even get that far. Ctl-alt-delete to close it. Second time the steam store loaded, but it was stuck scanning for games. Figured I'd load Firefox while it waited and Firefox couldn't even load (even though it's only using like 1-2 CPU usage.) Did a CPU restart. Gonna try a third time now. Can only imagine what it was like last night.

EDIT: And upon restart, it's been hanging on scan for the last five minutes.
When it says scanning for updates, it's actually decrypting in the background, but you can't see it. It won't use up that much of the CPU but your hard drive should be chugging. Just let it go.

Haeleos

V_Arnold said:
Just watched the GameTrailers review of this game, and I was so irritated that I had to come here and speak up...

What is up with this "it is not so original...it could have changed more" BS that keeps spreading around in the review of theirs? I mean: should they place you in the space with zombies from the moon? It is a zombie-apocalypse game, and complaining about the setting being largely the same as its predecessor is like complaining about playing football in a stadium and on green grass instead of in a Vulcano.

I mean: okay, there has been 2 decent "zombie"-games in the last few years, Dead Rising and Left 4 Dead. Should the creators wait a few more years before another FPS comes out involving zombies, with improved gameplay and more content? Or are they only allowed to make a psycho-drama adventure game only, if it involves zombies again?

Bah.

Gametrailers.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Rebooted Steam a couple of times and it has appeared! Thanks again HomShaBom <3

Now for the slow download :(

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Chinner said:
added u.

edit: also ur link doesnt work

blargh.

Can someone explain in slow detail the procedure for adding friends on steam and letting people know your friends name?

my steamid is dogfish182

however, somebody told me this same thing and when I eventually tracked them down their steam name was different to their login ID. How do I tell people what to add on steam and how do I add others correctly and easily?

Urgh playing xbox live has made me dumb because it's all so easy.

I've just bought it, but I have to finish school for today. Any Euro gaffers going to play campaign this evening? I don't have voice chat (yet), but I'll communicate as best as I can :)

Man this game is way tougher than 1. I've just played Dead Centre and the carnival one this morning in singleplayer advanced and while DC didn't give me too much trouble, carnival of thingy is kicking my ass. Ran out of time so I didn't get to see the finale, but that rollercoaster part just beat the shit out of me 3 times in a row, and then in the 4th chapter I managed to get incapped by a hunter literally in the saferoom doorway, that last run is tough.

Also, is it my imagination or are the bots even dumber this time around? There were a few instances where they would refuse to pick up medpacs or ignore the charger beating my face in. What strikes me as odd is that the special infected AI is definitely better, they work together as a team more often and I've had some really sneaky ambushes at exactly the wrong time, like that hunter I mentioned in 2-4, but the bots are dumb as rocks.

Absolutely love this though, I was skeptical when it was announced but the demo had totally converted me and the full game is great. Really looking forward to getting on with my friends later and running through the whole game. We were going to do an expert run first thing but I think we'll stick with advanced at first. :lol

Vanpira

catfish said:
blargh.

Can someone explain in slow detail the procedure for adding friends on steam and letting people know your friends name?

my steamid is dogfish182

however, somebody told me this same thing and when I eventually tracked them down their steam name was different to their login ID. How do I tell people what to add on steam and how do I add others correctly and easily?

Just type the name in the search and it should bring up a list of people with that name go to the right one and click add to friends list. Then you can link them to the same page, or have them go to yours and click on the persons name in your friends list I guess? Sorry I guess I was no help after all. :( Though if you add someone to your friends list it should tell everyone on your friends list that you added them. So they could just click that instead.

Zzoram

catfish said:
blargh.

my steamid is dogfish182

Steam has your ID and your display name. Think of it like AOL/MSN IM. You add your friend's email but you see their display name.

People often forget that their display name is different and tell you that instead of their Steam ID. Old Steam IDs were email accounts, but newer ones are anything.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
jesus fuck.

I kept getting disconnected and reconnected to the Steam community. So I'd be playing, and then I'd freeze for about 10 seconds or so with sound looping. Then when I'd come back...sigh...wouldn't you know it, a tank comes and rapes me up the ass...HARD.

Finished 1 1/2 maps so far...fucking shitty connections.

vazel

Banned
That final part in Dead Center was killing me. My idiot team kept separating each getting their own gas tanks in different parts and they would wait too long to heal. I was finally able to beat it when they all raged and finished with bots.

I'm happy the game is challenging the demo made me afraid they were going for a more xbox mass appeal vibe.

Volcynika

When I finally get into VS, should be awesome, the Infected seem very powerful now with the new skills of the Charger/Spitter/Jockey.

Spitter's got some raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaange really. Can't believe how far she is and she can still hit me.

tunneloflove.jpg

I love this game.

Zzoram

I'm really disappointed that they don't have a mode where EVERYONE plays as Infected against hordes of humans. Everyone I know prefers playing as Infected.

If they did that, I bet everyone would be raving in their reviews about innovation.

mandiller

I just played through Hard Rain. The weather effects on the way back were insane! Very, very impressive. That campaign had a really unique feel to it.

1-D_FTW

Only got through 3 levels in the first campaign (single-player):

1.) OMG! Amazing shit. I always like L4D, but more in concept than execution. This is what I always wanted.

2.) Damn. Those seem like some long levels. Crash Course long.

3.) Playing single-player with all the "activities" you have to perform, not a great idea.

LOVE IT!

Zzoram

Current Players | Peak Today | Game

45,548 | 85,861 Counter-Strike: Source
45,546 | 90,856 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - Multiplayer
40,047 | 70,242 Counter-Strike
22,853 | 35,861 Left 4 Dead 2
18,417 | 36,033 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Snapshot King said:
So played some of dead center. After playing the demo, I have to say how interesting the narrative structure is, with Nick remarking to the rest of us how he didnt think we looked like we could fight, and instead of yelling out CHARGER! Rochelle called him "that charging thing" and Ellis called him "hillbilly".

Yeah I noticed this too. I've only played DC so far but they didn't call the special infected by their "proper names", they called the hunter a "jumper" and the boomer a "booming guy" or something. I'm assuming that since they call them hunters and boomers in the Parish demo that somewhere along the way they pick out names for them.

Very cool touch, especially their introductions in the elevator.

Redd

Zzoram said:
I'm really disappointed that they don't have a mode where EVERYONE plays as Infected against hordes of humans. Everyone I know prefers playing as Infected.

If they did that, I bet everyone would be raving in their reviews about innovation.

Hordes of humans.........in a zombie apocalypse?

Zzoram

Redd said:
Hordes of humans.........in a zombie apocalypse?

Who cares about the story implications? It would be way more fun to play as a team of Infected against hordes of humans with melee weapons and guns. Maybe not hordes, but at least several squads searching the levels or something.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Splitscreen mode doesn't seem to work, not a huge deal but I don't see why they removed it.
Does anyone know if there is still a command to always try and join a specific server, or is there another way to do this?
Anyone got know of a list of all the stuff you can voice spam?

Zzoram

Do the graphics in the full game look much better this time? On PC I mean, because the demo seemed to look better.

Also, is the overall pace of the game faster? In the demo, it felt like movement was sped up.

Zzoram said:
Do the graphics in the full game look much better this time? On PC I mean, because the demo seemed to look better.

Also, is the overall pace of the game faster? In the demo, it felt like movement was sped up.

I don't think the graphics better as much as the art this time around is much better. Tons of different color palates and interesting set pieces, much more varied zombies, and some fantastic visual effects such as the hotel fire really make it feel fresh. As much as I loved L4D1 a lot of the areas were just bland warehouses and offices, and that seems to be almost entirely gone here.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Zzoram said:
Steam has your ID and your display name. Think of it like AOL/MSN IM. You add your friend's email but you see their display name.

People often forget that their display name is different and tell you that instead of their Steam ID. Old Steam IDs were email accounts, but newer ones are anything.

ClEAR AS MUD.

I'll just look for people in the neogaf group to play with.

mine is 'dogfish' if anyone wants to play with me! What can I offer? Lots of questions like "WhAT DOES THIS DO" etc initially.

Ugh. I get home and all I'm getting is Scanning for Steam games updates...

I've tried restarting Steam and my computer so I guess I'll just wait and hope something happens eventually.

Welp my laptop harddrive gave out on me as the game was decrypting late last night.

Got the 360 version waiting for me after work today, but that's a bummer.

TuxBobble

Zzoram said:

Yea. I personally hate Steam IDs. I got one back when it was an e-mail account. Thus, it is an e-mail account that I barely remember, don't have anymore (it was an ISP account) and wish I could change.

But of course, Steam doesn't allow that...

Edit: I know they allow you to change contact e-mail and display name. But if I move to another computer, it's very possible that one day I will forget this e-mail address...not to mention I just wish it could be my current address.

Top Bottom