• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

GhostRidah said:
how amazing would it be for valve to add the new infected and weapons to l4d1 and even integrate l4d1 into 2, like say if you own part one you can easily join old campaigns within l4d2
L4D1 is a broken, dead game. Anyone that thinks it can be improved or expanded upon hasn't played it enough to understand.

Ookami-kun said:
Whoa.

Back during the demo, nearly everyone I played with in pubs were all decent or moderately skilled, capable of going through the campaign even on Expert.

Now comes the game itself, on Normal levels, yet nearly everyone I played with don't look at their backs to shoot infected, has a tendency to stand doing nothing, react slowly from Special Infected attacking the team, etc.

The AI played much better than them!
You on 360?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
well just tried to play and had a game reset itself 3 times on dead centre. got about down the first stairs then it was back to the helicopter animation and start again 3 times and kicked back to the lobby.

:( played through the first level on single player , now off to work.

Seems like you have to move or the zombies keep coming.

TheCardPlayer said:
Got my 360 copy and finished Dead Center. My thoughts? Fucking hell almighty! It's ridiculous, how much better this game is than the original. It's just....UNF! There's more variety in 1 campaign, than in the all of L4D1. I don't even feel like playing MW2 anymore. It's that good.

I agree.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I only had a chance to play the first level last night (Dead Center), but goddamn it's great. I'm probably sounding like an echo after the last few pages but it was a joy just to see every little thing from the first game improved on. The new characters are cool, <3 Rochelle, Ellis is funny, but Coach will be my character of choice, he's such a bad motherfucker.

I absolutely love the two carnival games in Dark Carnival. My squad and I were having a blast just playing the shooting the gallery and the whack-a-mole game in between decapitating zombies with katanas.

Sooo goood.gif

Also, the waterslide. :lol

Aeris130

Scanning for Steam games updates.
Scanning for Steam games updates..
Scanning for Steam games updates...

2pzi5mt.jpg

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Finally managed to play a Versus game, only two maps thus far. Only thought I have is that the Jockey is the most difficult of the Infected classes by far. It's really only good in conjunction with Boomers or Spitters.

ahoyhoy said:
Finally managed to play a Versus game, only two maps thus far. Only thought I have is that the Jockey is the most difficult of the Infected classes by far. It's really only good in conjunction with Boomers or Spitters.

Sounds like they have balance down. IMO the only class that should be "good on it's own" would be the tank.

All other classes should need coordination with other types.

vertopci

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
L4D1 is a broken, dead game. Anyone that thinks it can be improved or expanded upon hasn't played it enough to understand.

Bullshit. FrusMod practically fixes anything considered broken in L4D1. And until they port the maps over to L4D2, L4D1 will still be alive and kicking.

gregor7777 said:
Sounds like they have balance down. IMO the only class that should be "good on it's own" would be the tank.

All other classes should need coordination with other types.

A tank on its own is near useless unless all the survivors have low red health.

GEP

Banned
Im looking for somebody who is buying or wants in on a 4 pack. I have paypal and I know I dont exactly have the most posts on here but I am a great ebay buyer/seller. If anybody needs one more on a 4pack let me know. The demo has me craving some VS.

Rad-

I hate you all. I was ready to pass on this game (and save precious money) because it didn't look like a big improvement but all these impressions are making me want this game. Argh, and I still have MW2 in queue as well. God damn it.

d0c_zaius

GEP said:
Im looking for somebody who is buying or wants in on a 4 pack. I have paypal and I know I dont exactly have the most posts on here but I am a great ebay buyer/seller. If anybody needs one more on a 4pack let me know. The demo has me craving some VS.

Ill get in on the 4pack with ya

1-D_FTW

So it's official, whatever Valve did with that last multi-core update has officially broken the game for me. I can't go more than 5 - 10 minutes in multiplayer without the sound blaring a BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE and totally locking my computer up. Thanks, Valve. Awesome fucking fix there.

vertopci

TheExodu5 said:
Glad to see L4D2 still doesn't care what kind of pings I get. This is why I don't play when I'm not hosting my own server.

L4D2 searches for servers that give the best ping to the lobby leader. So if he's on the other side of the country, you're SOL.

1-D_FTW said:
So it's official, whatever Valve did with that last multi-core update has officially broken the game for me. I can't go more than 5 - 10 minutes in multiplayer without the sound blaring a BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE and totally locking my computer up. Thanks, Valve. Awesome fucking fix there.

So turn it off....?

Coin Return

Loose Slot
What's everyone's favorite campaign so far? I've only played Dead Center and Dark Carnival so far, so I'm curious as to what the consensus is.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
The new weapons are really nice, especially after only having 6 of them in the first. The AK with the red dot sight attached is really effective, I'll be using that a lot.

So am I the only person here playing on 360? I feel like I'm sitting at the kids table.

Volcynika

Teknoman said:
People doing more campaign stuff tonight? Really would like my first time in to be co-op mode.

I'll be around after I download the game to my new PC. If my internet isn't slow, of course!

GhostRidah said:
how amazing would it be for valve to add the new infected and weapons to l4d1 and even integrate l4d1 into 2, like say if you own part one you can easily join old campaigns within l4d2
It's what they goddamn should have done

1-D_FTW

fallengorn said:
Does anyone not turn it off? (aside from FTW, apparently)

It is turned off. I've turned it off, I've turned it on. I've tried XP, I've tried Windows 7. It's the same shit. BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. Hold down power button to kill Windows. I've tried every combination possible. Different drivers. Nothing. Going to try updating my motherboard to the latest BIOS, but that's a ridiculous long shot.

I can play single-player, but online is hopeless. So that seems like a complete waste, but I'll try anything at this point.

Holy shit, the finale of Swamp Fever does a very cruel and unexpected thing (
the 'second' tank is actually two tanks, and caused all sorts of hilarious confusion the first time
).

TuxBobble

1-D_FTW said:

So try running it without using multi-core? And try setting your L4D2 to run on a single core altogether if your computer can handle it. Shouldn't need to do that but if it works can can get you by until a patch...

DJ_Lae

Played most of the mall campaign early this morning with a friend (until Valve's servers went bonkers) and it was a lot of fun.

I also played halfway through the carnival campaign on my own, and can definitely say the AI is useless in the new 'run and shut off an alarm' segments.

Have they axed the traditional finale-style parts, though? They were my favourite part of the first game and although the new ones are fun too I can see them getting kind of old as they're all I've come across. Sometimes you just want to hole yourself up and shoot incoming zombies.

Still, there's still three and a half campaigns I haven't seen where they could have kept that, so I'm not too worried.

DJ_Lae said:
Have they axed the traditional finale-style parts, though?
Nope. Although every finale I've played so far has been more distinct and interesting than the ones in L4D1.

Dead Center:
basically a Scavenge level, as you refuel a car.
Dark Carnival:
a 'traditional' finale, but set in a rock concert stage, with lights, music, and fireworks (which you can use to set zombies on fire).
Swamp Fever:
a traditional 'defend the house' finale, but the house is far grander than BH/DT in L4D1, and you have to fight two tanks at once and cross the gardens to finish.

Flib

DJ_Lae said:
Played most of the mall campaign early this morning with a friend (until Valve's servers went bonkers) and it was a lot of fun.

I also played halfway through the carnival campaign on my own, and can definitely say the AI is useless in the new 'run and shut off an alarm' segments.

Have they axed the traditional finale-style parts, though? They were my favourite part of the first game and although the new ones are fun too I can see them getting kind of old as they're all I've come across. Sometimes you just want to hole yourself up and shoot incoming zombies.

Still, there's still three and a half campaigns I haven't seen where they could have kept that, so I'm not too worried.

edit: beaten by Shake (btw we should play sometime, even though you are about 10x better than I am)

1-D_FTW

TuxBobble said:
So try running it without using multi-core? And try setting your L4D2 to run on a single core altogether if your computer can handle it. Shouldn't need to do that but if it works can can get you by until a patch...

Already been answered. I'm not a noob to Valve. I know multi-core has been broken since it's intro.

EDIT: I'd like to know what the bug was that caused the demo to get released a second time. Cause there's not a bigger show stopper than the bug I've got.

DJ_Lae said:

Traditional camping finales broke the game in Versus, but that's what Survival mode is for.

Pimpbaa

fallengorn said:
Does anyone not turn it off? (aside from FTW, apparently)

I would never turn it off in any of valve's games. Gives me a rather large performance boost on my low end core 2 duo.

vazel

Banned
Damn spitter is overpowered for versus they need to tone that down. I understand it's meant to prevent corner camping but it's too powerful.

McNei1y

Just picked this up on the 360 and played about 45 minutes and liked what I saw. This game is going to be great.

I agree though, people are RETARDED right now. I played a game and I died in the opening minute by a smoker because my team didnt know they could shove me off. They were running away, then came back and were shooting me and ran into me to try and knock me down :lol

LovingSteam said:
So admitting that its only been several hours for most of us, what is the verdict of whether this is better than the original?
It's better than the original in almost every way.

Actually, it's probably better than the original in every way.

Yay, I just got it! (360) Time to play :D This is my foray into the series...I hope I love it as much as I think I will.

I really want to play with some GAFfers, though--anyone interested? My GT's dragonlife29. If you do send a request, tell me you're a GAFfer in a following message or I'll deny it (random FRs creep me out).

That said, are we going to have a Left 4 Dead 2 XBL thread in the Online forum?

P.S: I probably suck.

Top Bottom