• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Played the first stage of Dead Center before turning in last night. I opened one of the doors and fire spilled into the hallway and incapped me. :lol

And I swear to god, my eyes started to water after playing through the first floor. Geez! Love how it was just a melee/pistol to start off with.

Can't wait to actually sit down, take my time and play through it tonight.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
that sound you can all hear is my heart, beating out of stress and love.

brilliant game! I'm really surprised at how much better it is than the first. I can't wait to try out Hard Rain and The Parish tomorrow.

the ending events are so much cooler than the first game. They're all about running or dieing, none of the typical 'sit in a closet for a while' L4D1 style stuff.

like I said to Chinner, I shouldn't have doubted Valve. They know how to make a fucking L4D game.

Chinner

Banned
me and rez have just finished many rigorous and sweaty games of l4d2 and i gotta say i'm feeling realllllyyy good (this game is awesome).

Ug, so jealous of you fools. I tried staying up last night, hangin in the GAF chat room but I couldn't make it.

I need to work from home more often. :lol

Woo-Fu

Banned
Rez said:
They're all about running or dieing, none of the typical 'sit in a closet for a while' L4D1 style stuff.
You sure that isn't just a function of map knowledge? L4D started out the same way until people found the best ways to handle each of those encounters.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
oh yeah and the soundtrack is fucking outstanding

Volcynika

Woo-Fu said:
You sure that isn't just a function of map knowledge? L4D started out the same way until people found the best ways to handle each of those encounters.

Not nearly as much as the first. Before, you waited on crescendos to finish. Now, crescendos wait on you to finish. They just never stop until you reach a point.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Woo-Fu said:
most of the 'climax' events actually require you to run from one point to another while fending off streams of enemies (AND THERE ARE A LOT). the endings are mixed up in such a way that, except for maybe the Swamp Fever (haven't played Rain or Parish), it would seem kind of counter-productive to sit in one place. the arenas are much more interesting.

it's very late (early). I need sleep. Nighty night.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I figured out why my Steam games list refused to load last night: the L4D2 pre-load was corrupted. Fuck it, I'm done with Valve midnight releases.

Boonoo

What I played of vs. (2 levels of dead center) was a ton of fun. It's nice to have some variety (hunters then boomer then smoker could get tiresome). It looks like the infected teams will really have to form strategies on the fly since you won't know what you can do until you're all spawned in.

Spitter + Boomer is a match made in heaven.

WEGGLES

Oh man. Oh man.

Do I get this? Or do I put it on my Xmas list so my parents stop complaining they have no gift ideas for me?

I really dug the demo. But at the same time I just got MW2 and still wanna play it for a long time to come.

Also this one dude I know is getting it... so if I get it he'd expect me to play with him. urg.

Hm. Just went to check the cost of this on the Steam store and I see it's locked for another two days.

Am I missing something, or is L4D2 really not available here in the UK via Steam until the Friday retail release?

Zeliard

I didn't get to play last night due to Valve Time robbing us all of a good hour. :(

I take it the full game doesn't disappoint.

DaFish

I think I will be able to play alittle tonight... prolly from about 6 - 8/9 pm EST

DOOOO EEEIIITTTT

Oh yeah, screw you bums who don't have to work :(

Tenks

Boonoo said:
What I played of vs. (2 levels of dead center) was a ton of fun. It's nice to have some variety (hunters then boomer then smoker could get tiresome). It looks like the infected teams will really have to form strategies on the fly since you won't know what you can do until you're all spawned in.

Spitter + Boomer is a match made in heaven.

Yeah was my beef with infected in L4D. I was a hunter 85% of the time it seemed and I suck some massive black dildo at hunter.

FartOfWar

Banned
ahoyhoy said:
Well, I figured out why my Steam games list refused to load last night: the L4D2 pre-load was corrupted. Fuck it, I'm done with Valve midnight releases.
I have the same problem. How did you fix it?

Zzoram said:
Who cares about the story implications? It would be way more fun to play as a team of Infected against hordes of humans with melee weapons and guns. Maybe not hordes, but at least several squads searching the levels or something.
So, like Versus mode?

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
FartOfWar said:

Had to delete all the "Left 4 Dead 2" data in the Steam folder. Unfortunately, even if you save the bulk of the 6.4gigs of L4D2 data in the steamapps folder, Steam seems to want to download the entire thing again.

And here I wanted to play at least 1 campaign before class... damn you Valve!

Kade

ahoyhoy said:
Had to delete all the "Left 4 Dead 2" data in the Steam folder. Unfortunately, even if you save the bulk of the 6.4gigs of L4D2 data in the steamapps folder, Steam seems to want to download the entire thing again.

And here I wanted to play at least 1 campaign before class... damn you Valve!

FartOfWar said:

All I had to do was verify the game cache integrity and defrag it from Steam. Worked perfectly fine after that.

Firestorm

Raydeen said:
Won't get to play this until Weds evening...but what would you recommend for vetrans of L4D? Dive in with EXPERT? Or start with ADVANCED?
Advanced. After all you need something to step up to later =)

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
dygiT said:
All I had to do was verify the game cache integrity and defrag it from Steam. Worked perfectly fine after that.

The problem is that I couldn't access the game list at all, so I couldn't defrag from Steam. I tried moving all the data, but it seems one of the files is corrupted and was halting the game list from loading.

Zzoram said:
No, they removed splitscreen for the PC version (probably because 5 people used it).

FUCK. I used that shit all the time. Guess I'll have to get the 360 version now... damnit.

Zzoram

dygiT said:

The point of that feature is to fix corrupted downloads. People need to remember it more often. I always forget it exists too.

lorebringer said:
Man this game is way tougher than 1. I've just played Dead Centre and the carnival one this morning in singleplayer advanced and while DC didn't give me too much trouble, carnival of thingy is kicking my ass. Ran out of time so I didn't get to see the finale, but that rollercoaster part just beat the shit out of me 3 times in a row, and then in the 4th chapter I managed to get incapped by a hunter literally in the saferoom doorway, that last run is tough.

Yeah me and some guys last night played this up to the level after the coaster and we got stuck at a part where the zombies seemed to never stop, after hitting a switch to open a gate. There was no end to the zombies. Its was shit nuts!

Boonoo

Zzoram said:
In Versus you have to play Survivors as well. I want a mode where I don't have to do that.

I can't imagine that playing against A.I. survivors would be very fun.

Edit: Also! I miss being able to see my legs in the game. Downgrade total.

Kade

Zzoram said:
The point of that feature is to fix corrupted downloads. People need to remember it more often. I always forget it exists too.

It's awesome when it works. Other times, it makes you redownload the whole game when it finishes verifying.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Whoa.

Back during the demo, nearly everyone I played with in pubs were all decent or moderately skilled, capable of going through the campaign even on Expert.

Now comes the game itself, on Normal levels, yet nearly everyone I played with don't look at their backs to shoot infected, has a tendency to stand doing nothing, react slowly from Special Infected attacking the team, etc.

The AI played much better than them!

Ookami-kun said:
Whoa.

Back during the demo, nearly everyone I played with in pubs were all decent or moderately skilled, capable of going through the campaign even on Expert.

Now comes the game itself, on Normal levels, yet nearly everyone I played with don't look at their backs to shoot infected, has a tendency to stand doing nothing, react slowly from Special Infected attacking the team, etc.

The AI played much better than them!

They're people who didn't actively seek out the demo, just bought the game because it looked interesting?

RocketDarkness said:
Red, Botolf, Mickey, and I just beat Hard Rain on Advanced Realism. Holy crap, that was probably the most intense experience I've ever had in L4D.

How would you compare advanced+realism to straight up expert? I was hoping it would be a nice balance because i struggle on expert but breeze through avanced.

So did anyone else play a bunch last nite and rack up some impressive stats only to wake up this morning and find that they've all been reset to zero?

Nemic77

Wow this is much harder than l4d1... We got to the finale of Swamp Fever in advanced, but the second wave of 2 tanks kept owning us.

I can't even imagine how hard survival must be :O

gogojira

Crossing my fingers that Gamefly delivers this today. I need some zombie shooting action after getting my face wrecked in Modern Warfare 2 last night.

Oh my gosh this game is great. It's gonna be a real cold day before I ever go back to the first game. I've only played Dead Center VS so far but that level is ridiculous. I was amazed how long it was until the fourth act came around and I realized it was the last one.

So, just some basic things I've noticed.
  • It's nice not having the hunter as the only big quick damage dealer in the game. Spitter and Charger will drain your life like no tomorrow. It's crazy going through an entire vs campaign and barely even getting the hunter.
  • The push back seems pretty big this time around. If a hunter pounces or especially the charger, it's gonna be a second or two before you can even get up and move to save your teammate. Definitely a plus for the infected.
  • The jocky while an awesome premise is my least favorite at the moment. They can do some cool things like pulling you off edges and stuff but it's hard to aim them just starting out. That's probably just because I haven't played much yet either though.
  • While typing this, I realized I never got the smoker once, so....oh well. And only one boomer. :lol
  • Charger is one awesome beast. You get a good charge in in an area like the escalators and you have a good chance at killing the other team if your team is together. That thing is tough to get around.
  • It's nice getting lost in levels again. Gonna be awhile before we see speed runs going on I bet and even then with the new infected we can easily slow progress down. Still having trouble identifying the better weapons with these different versions in each rank. Sucks you lose incendiary ammo after changing a gun. First time I picked it up we get to the big weapon shop so I never got to try it. And the survivors not knowing the infected's name at least in Dead Center is a nice touch.

And on Dead Center itself? Better than all the L4D maps in my opinion. Going out on the walkways beats just going down a hall and opening doors with fire spewing out was amazing. Incapped two of us the first time I did it and I didn't learn my lesson a little later on when I opened another door with fire. :lol The first act is my favorite in that level. The mall was fun but a little too similar throughout.

Game also seems a lot harder. We were playing against a team that wasn't the greatest and while we could kill them pretty quickly, they could wear us down around the 75-90% mark a few times. Want to try out some experienced teams later to see how that holds up. Also, it's nice that the scoring doesn't spam you with points now. Makes it a lot easier to compare that way.

I'm sure this post is pretty jumbled, just wanted to get my thoughts down. :p

how amazing would it be for valve to add the new infected and weapons to l4d1 and even integrate l4d1 into 2, like say if you own part one you can easily join old campaigns within l4d2

Flib

I really enjoyed the first game, but it always felt like it was missing something to me. Obviously it was a relatively barebones game, but the level design wasn't stellar and there were specific tactics you could use to pretty much cruise through the levels.

This game, however, really ups the ante. The level design really has that Valve polish now, and I had so many "Oh Shit!" organic moments in just the little bit I played last night...color me super-impressed.

Dark Carnival = so awesome.

NotWii

Banned
From most liked to least liked

Campaign
- Hard Rain (especially the 2nd half)
- Dark Carnival
- Swamp Fever
- Dead Center
- The Parish

Finales
- Dark Carnival
- Dead Center
- The Parish
- Swamp Fever
- Hard Rain

I am very impressed with the new crescendo events/finales, the huge scope of the levels and the subtle gameplay changes that really make L4D2 play differently from L4D1

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Got my 360 copy and finished Dead Center. My thoughts? Fucking hell almighty! It's ridiculous, how much better this game is than the original. It's just....UNF! There's more variety in 1 campaign, than in the all of L4D1. I don't even feel like playing MW2 anymore. It's that good.

Tim-E

This game is fucking great. The level design is so varied and fun. In Dead Center 1, we were playing Advanced Realism and my friend was standing near one of the windows, and a Charger comes around the corner, charges at them, and they both fly out of the building and fall like 20 stories. :lol

Red Scarlet

Bah, I died on Hard Rain and The Parish. :(

Hard Rain on Advanced + Realism the first time was really cool, though.

Good games everyone that played! And now I can sleep!

Top Bottom