• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

NullPointer said:
And woah nelly is that Chainsaw something else. Does it eventually run out of juice though? I was tearing a horde a new asshole when all of the sudden I was back to using a pistol. Don't know if I picked it up by accident amidst the chaos or if my chainsaw was depleted(?).

Yeah if you look at the chainsaw icon when you have it equiped, there is a little mini line that shows how much gas you have left with it.

Mrbob

Has anyone found out the fate of Chicago Ted in the timeline of L4D2? Is he still kicking zombie ass?

I still remember this from the first game:

turntime.jpg

l4d_hospital05_rooftop0012.jpg

Whenever Chicago Ted finally makes his appearance in L4D it has to be epic!

Volodja said:
It runs out of fuel, there's a bar near the icon of the chainsaw that indicates how much there is left.

Ahhh OK. Makes sense. You feel like a damn god of zombie slaying walking around with that thing. You fear nothing. Hordes? Bring em! Tank? You want some of this!? Unleashed, its just carnage, ripping, shredding, limbs a'flying, and blood splatter everywhere.

In other words, wholesome family entertainment for all.

Red Scarlet said:
Ever since yesterday, I've had some issue with the game at the startup. The "valve logo" movie and intro play at what looks like double speed for the video, but not the audio. I don't know why it does that or how to fix it.
Interesting. On my laptop when I get to the main menu, my game freezes for like 3 or 4 seconds as soon as the little popup for the steam overlay comes up while my hard drive starts chugging. Video is frozen and there's no sound playing while it's frozen. My laptop runs the game perfectly fine other than that though.

NullPointer said:
Ahhh OK. Makes sense. You feel like a damn god of zombie slaying walking around with that thing. You fear nothing. Hordes? Bring em! Tank? You want some of this!? Unleashed, its just carnage, ripping, shredding, limbs a'flying, and blood splatter everywhere.

You have a good point. I had the chainsaw, ran right into a witch... and ripped that bitch a new one! She never touched me! ohhh she never touched me!:D :lol

iam220 said:
The only thing that left me somewhat disappointed with this game is that when you blow the legs off the zombies, they don't crawl around and try to gnaw your feet. That would have been an awesome addition!
That would be chaotic when you get attacked by hordes of infected. I have shot off someone's arm without killing them though.

kai3345

Banned
Managed to get halfway through a versus game.....and then my xbox live d/c'd.

This game would be amazing if it weren't for the online issues.

Facism said:
The jockey is amazing when the survivor team has at least 1 guy on red health. Daisy chained 3 downs with the jockey earlier.

Hate the melee. Feels like a massive gimmick. Wish items broke so i didn't get stuck with pricks who want to run up to me as i'm being smoked swinging a fucking guitar instead of shooting the fucking smoker 4 seconds ago.

Have also failed many a crescendo event in dark carnival because 2 guys would whip out their baseball bats instead of their shotguns/rifles in order to deal with the infinite hordes -_-
Melee weapons are amazing for taking out hordes. You can easily take out 5-6 zombies with each swing and you never have to worry about reloading in the middle of a horde invasion. I've found them to be more effective against hordes than any guns. You just have to make sure your primary weapon has ammo in the clip so you can switch when someone gets attacked by special infected that are out of melee range.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Had a couple of fun games just now and played through Dark Carnival and Heavy Rain, but for some reason the difficulty kept changing to expert from advanced as soon as we hit a safe room. And oh man, it does rain a lot on that last part of Heavy Rain.

Anyhow, what's the difference between the assault rifles, apart from burst and fully automatic?

Blizzard

Banned
Obviously the bots are immune to friendly fire, but I don't think I've seen mentioned yet -- your teammates are also immune to melee, right? If that's the case in versus I imagine chainsaws and cutting weapons must be really overpowered (aside from chainsaw gas). FRUSMOD 3.0 STAT :lol

Also, can the tank actually kill people now, or is it still something that dies really quickly from chainsaws/getting in sight of survivors/inciendiary ammo/boomers/boomer bile/witches/propane tanks/autoshotguns/assault shotguns/assault rifles? And can it catch up to survivors who are at red or yellow health, or is it still the old "run slower while on fire or being shot at, unlike the advanced/expert AI" thing?

*edit* Also, two other thoughts.
1. I watched a youtube video of part of Hard Rain. The weather effects and sounds look really good. I think it reinforces that the style of game and atmosphere are better at night, and it makes things easier on the infected team (i.e. better). I wish gun and zombie sounds weren't so loud so I could actually play with background noises/music/voices at an audible level.
2. I was disappointed in the demo when I could KILL zombies with defibrillator paddle melee, but it didn't shock them in comical fashion when I did it.

Volodja

NullPointer said:

In other words, wholesome family entertainment for all.
Yeah, it's kinda strong, but I prefer the Magnum for the second slot. So damn powerful

Oh man i just tried the parish out finally and i had almost 650 melee kills! I was the only one to survive the bridge run as well, Weeeeeee.

edited to say that melee is the way to go to kill the tank. Me and this one guy took down two tanks all by ourselves with a bat and machete.

iam220

CrookedRain said:
That would be chaotic when you get attacked by hordes of infected. I have shot off someone's arm without killing them though.

Have you really? Did it then only do half damage? :lol

Yeah it would add to the madness a bit, maybe have it take very little health compared with standing enemies to compensate for that. I just want to see some of belly crawling zombies! Would really add to the atmosphere methinks.

Blizzard said:
your teammates are also immune to melee, right?

Nop. They're immune to the push melee but not the main.

When the smoker grabs you, I've noticed you can cut the tongue and free yourself with a melee weapon in the 1-2 seconds before the camera pulls out to 3rd person and you are helpless, just be sure to aim down slightly as you do it.

Also I tried crowning witches with the fireaxe last night and it didn't work so well. Has anybody managed this yet? Last night I went right up to a walking witch head on and nailed her with the melee crosshair right between the eyes and she shrugged it off and swiped me down.

If anybody wants to play the 360 version i'm up for all modes/difficulties, feel free to add me:

Zombie Swords <-- just click on that to send a friend request.

Blizzard said:
Obviously the bots are immune to friendly fire, but I don't think I've seen mentioned yet -- your teammates are also immune to melee, right? If that's the case in versus I imagine chainsaws and cutting weapons must be really overpowered (aside from chainsaw gas). FRUSMOD 3.0 STAT :lol

Teammates take damage from melee friendly fire.

Blizzard said:

Also, can the tank actually kill people now, or is it still something that dies really quickly from chainsaws/getting in sight of survivors/inciendiary ammo/boomers/boomer bile/witches/propane tanks/autoshotguns/assault shotguns/assault rifles? And can it catch up to survivors who are at red or yellow health, or is it still the old "run slower while on fire or being shot at, unlike the advanced/expert AI" thing?

1. I watched a youtube video of part of Hard Rain. The weather effects and sounds look really good. I think it reinforces that the style of game and atmosphere are better at night, and it makes things easier on the infected team (i.e. better). I wish gun and zombie sounds weren't so loud so I could actually play with background noises/music/voices at an audible level.
2. I was disappointed in the demo when I could KILL zombies with defibrillator paddle melee, but it didn't shock them in comical fashion when I did it.
Hey look it's Blizzard talking about stuff he doesn't know 'cause he doesn't own the game yet!

Melee weapons do minor friendly fire damage.

Blizzard said:

Melee weapons can damage your teammates.

Volodja

Blizzard said:
Melee weapons damage your teammates but the damage is very low.

iam220 said:
Have you really? Did it then take only half damage? :lol

Yeah it would add to the madness a bit, maybe have it take very little health compared with standing enemies to compensate for that. I just want to see some of belly crawling zombies! Would really add to the atmosphere methinks.

Nop. They're immune to the push melee but not the main.
You know, they could just implement them as uncommon infected. I think that would work out well.

Blizzard

Banned
RocketDarkness said:
Hey look it's Blizzard talking about stuff he doesn't know 'cause he doesn't own the game yet!

Melee weapons do minor friendly fire damage.
I was asking questions about things that I don't know, since I figured you would all be a good source of information. My only experience was in the demo, so I was trying to say "I played the demo, and experienced this. Based on this and what I have heard, I am guessing X. Is this true?"

So, what did I claim was true that was incorrect, aside from speculation/questioning? :/

Melee weapons damage your teammates but the damage is very low.
Ah. So if you're playing a pub game, there's not much chance of grabbing a chainsaw and killing a teammate quickly? Or if you're in versus, is it extremely easy to mow down a horde with a chainsaw without worrying about hurting your teammates much?

Blizzard said:
I was asking questions about things that I don't know, since I figured you would all be a good source of information. My only experience was in the demo, so I was trying to say "I played the demo, and experienced this. Based on this and what I have heard, I am guessing X. Is this true?"

So, what did I claim was true that was incorrect, aside from speculation/questioning? :/
Hey, I answered my question after my little jab at you. Besides, this is what you get for dragging your feet in buying the game.

Blizzard

Banned
RocketDarkness said:
Hey, I answered my question after my little jab at you. Besides, this is what you get for dragging your feet in buying the game.
Ah okay, as long as you admit what you're doing. :lol

My current theory on Steam is that as long as people keep spamming me with invites, I'm going to retaliate by sending them random youtube links or starting up conversations while they're ingame. :p

Leonsito

What the hell, I have a problem.

I've been playing a couple of hours, and then my game crashes, I reboot, start Steam again and tried the "verify integrity" option, it says that 1 file was wrong and downloads it again, it was a very small file, but now everytime I try to open the game, I get the decrypting window 1 second and then... nothing.

WHAT THE HELL

Psy-Phi

iam220 said:
Have you really? Did it then only do half damage? :lol

Um...but they're not zombies and bleed out because they're still "alive". You put a hole big enough in them and they'll die. Or just enough small holes.

Psy-Phi said:
Um...but they're not zombies and bleed out because they're still "alive". You put a hole big enough in them and they'll die. Or just enough small holes.
Yeah, but this is Realism mode. I've had a zombie with her face blown off and no arms still come at me. Might as well let them turn into ankle biters as well.

FireFly

wayward archer said:
Also I tried crowning witches with the fireaxe last night and it didn't work so well. Has anybody managed this yet? Last night I went right up to a walking witch head on and nailed her with the melee crosshair right between the eyes and she shrugged it off and swiped me down.
I tried taking on a tank with the chainsaw, but it seems getting 'stunned' forces you to rev it up again - I went down pretty quick. Maybe you can use it while backpedaling.

TheFreshPrince

For the campaign Achievements, is it the same deal as the first one? Gotta beat the whole thing in one sitting? Game crashed at the end of Dark Carnival, and really don't wanna replay the whole thing right now....

Volodja

Damn you "ivp failed at d:l4d\src\ivp\ivp_utility\ivu_vhash.cxx 157".
Crashed the game 2 times on Dead Center in both survival and scavenger.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I got the achievement for DC after having the server I was on die and then when it kicked us back to the lobby just starting again on the finale. I guess if it's the same game and you've done all the stages then you should get the achievement.
MrPing1000 said:
err wtf

me and friends trying to use a dedicated server and it keeps making a local server which is unplayable.
Are you trying to connect to a specific server, or just join any dedicated?

mm_dedicated_force_servers

Is the command to force the game to join a server, assuming it is empty, or join a game via serverbrowser and then just vote whatever you want to play.

Coin Return

Loose Slot
TheFreshPrince said:
For the campaign Achievements, is it the same deal as the first one? Gotta beat the whole thing in one sitting? Game crashed at the end of Dark Carnival, and really don't wanna replay the whole thing right now....
Yep, gotta beat the whole thing. Just be glad you weren't my friend last night. He made it to the finale of DC and got incapped right below the chopper :/

TheFreshPrince said:
Same happened to me with Dead Center finale on expert.
Crashed after a 2hour run. :(

And you need to do it in one sitting.

Just had my best L4D multiplayer match. It was on Dark Carnival and involved me fighting off a tank on my own at red health; winning; then reviving a dead team-mate who just got on the Chopper after I got incapped by ANOTHER tank. We just about won :D.

Tremis

This man does his research.
FireFly said:
I tried taking on a tank with the chainsaw, but it seems getting 'stunned' forces you to rev it up again - I went down pretty quick. Maybe you can use it while backpedaling.

I actually somehow chainsaw-circle strafed one of the tanks at the end of swamp fever when he probably had about 1/4 health left. Took about 15 seconds, but it was quite harrowing. :D

edit: i made a joke during dark carnival about the gnome being called gnome chompski, then found out later that the gnome was actually called that! :lol

man, that achievement was satisfying to get (we only did it on normal though, map 4 finale is super hard doing it for some reason. we would always lose him).

vazel

Banned
Today I played a game in Hard Rain where I ran around reviving all my teammates who had been incapped twice. Once in the corn field before the elevator during the heavy storm. That feat was only possible with the adrenaline buff, very awesome how you can zip around and revive in no time with that thing.

Honestly, just playing through the Parish campaign (but not surviving the last hundred feet before quitting), I'm struck by how much better this one campaign in L4D2 is compared to every one in L4D1. It's like the change from Street Fighter to Street Fighter II or Twisted Metal to Twisted Metal 2...in other words, it's just improved so much in every single way...it's just completely comfortable in its skin with this installment. Even the nice demo doesn't come close to giving you an understanding for just how much more intense, deep, and varied an experience it has become with the sequel. Wish I had more time to play it right now.

vertopci

slasher_thrasher21 said:
So why do you think they increased the difficulty so much? First one too easy? I didnt think so.

I think it has more to do with people not knowing how to counter the new infected and maps quickly/effectively moreso than a straight up difficulty upgrade.

vertopci said:
I think it has more to do with people not knowing how to counter the new infected and maps quickly/effectively moreso than a straight up difficulty upgrade.
Yes, but there still is a noticeable increase in difficulty. The roller-coaster in Dark Carnival is just brutal on versus.

vazel

Banned
The upgraded difficulty has been balanced with the defibrillator, adrenaline(see my previous post), and the powerful melee weapons. But I still think the spitter is a tad overpowered for versus mode.

Edit: I've played the game for 23 hours according to Steam if that makes my opinion any less/more credible.

Twig

Banned
Yeah totally everything is overpowered and underpowered at the same time I know this from having played the game for two days.

Shoogoo

TheFreshPrince said:

This game has infinite replay value. If that kind of thing pushes you from the game, I don't know what to tell you.

Shoogoo said:
This game has infinite replay value.
Not quite, but each iteration seems to add more to the mix. It still boils down to shooting wandering zombies or stragglers, facing a mini-horde, then facing larger hordes with a few different combos of special infected thrown into the mix. It can and does get old, like all things. But its fun as hell while it lasts, and its easy to go back to it after taking a break since replay is less about remembering enemy locations as much as its about remembering principles of survival that apply to any situation.

That's the game's draw for me anyway. Usually in shooters you're only using smart tactics for the first playthrough or two - after that you've subconsciously memorized all of enemy locations and patterns so you exploit the AI trigger mechanisms and run and gun all you want. Left 4 Dead forces you to be on your toes, with your head on a swivel, every single playthrough.

Yay, way to go game, for the second night running you've made me the host as you can't find one single server, my friends loved their 500 pings while I had 4.

Amir0x

Banned
Yay I unlocked a few avatar award shirts for my 360 avatar, take that PC fans! (
I fucking hate avatars
)

This game is so satisfying, jesus. Charger is so ridiculously addicting to use. Swamp Scavenger story - the survivors were coming around the boardwalk to get the first two gas cans, three of them. Just as they were about to go under the short bridge tunnel, I charged them, knocking two of them OUT OF THE FUCKING BALLPARK - that is to say they flew off the boardwalk and got auto incapped - and the third was in my grasp being smashed into pulp.

Game is better than L4D1 in every conceivable way. Game is brutal as a survivor though if you're playing against any coordinated team - so much working against you :lol

Also: It is fucking obscene that Valve still hasn't fixed how terrible the official dedicated server lag is. They should have anticipated this, ridiculous.

Top Bottom