• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Amir0x said:
Yay I unlocked a few avatar award shirts for my 360 avatar, take that PC fans! (
I fucking hate avatars
)

Haha, you get a medkit after you beat all the campaigns. :p

Amir0x said:
Also: It is fucking obscene that Valve still hasn't fixed how terrible the official dedicated server lag is. They should have anticipated this, ridiculous.

And this. I only played a little bit of Vs. earlier, but I got someone as the Jockey and pulled them all the way back to start in an awesome fashion. But then the game got horribly laggy and basically unplayable, so I stopped. I don't want my first experiences with the mode in 2 to be like that, so I'm just going to wait until that gets sorted out.

Sanjay

Amir0x said:
official thread here

Google, "left 4 dead 2 neogaf" failed me, feels like I'm on a roll of doing stupid shit right now :mad:

but heres the post from that thread anyways.

Funniest moment I have had so far, I get picked up from a incap and then am all seeing gray walking really slow close to a door, cue tank music, tank appears from door, I turn around screaming "omg tank! give me pills give me pills!" friend comes up to me gives me pills then I scream "where are the fucking pills" friend says "omg you gave me back the pills" I'm like give me them back!! arghh fuuuuuuuuu I'm dead. This all happning in a matter of moments was funny as hell. I must have clicked on mouse 2 instantly the moment he gave them to me, QQ.

We spent 2 and a half hours doing expert on Parish and could not get past map 2 :(

Amir0x

Banned
Yup, me and my friends basically only play Scavenger right now, and only with a Local Host.

We're waiting for a pure Versus experience for when they got the lag sorted out. Never have I seen such a major release have such a unacceptable laggy server launch.

VALVE spent 25 million on fucking commercials. Maybe they should have saved some fucking money and spent 10 million on getting more/better servers.

Whats this about avatar awards?

Ahh, I see now:

Med Kit: Earned by beating all five campaigns.
Bull Shifters Shirt: earned by winning 10 games of Versus.
A Left 4 Dead 2 shirt: Earned by winning 10 games of Scavenge.
Zombie Hand Shirt: Earned by killing 10,000 Infected.
Depeche Mode Shirt: Earned by rescuing Gnome Chompski from the Dark Carnival.

I wants me that Zombie hand shirt and medkit.

syllogism

1zqwumf.jpg

123rl

Ok so I've literally played L4D the majority of this last year - maybe 4-5 times a week @ 2-3 hours a time most of the time. So I've had a lot of hilarious, unpredictable, fun "oh shit!" moments that just couldn't be co-ordinated any better than the way they happened. In one day L4D2 has already given me several moments that were funnier and more crazy than anything in the last game. Accidentally hitting a Witch with a grenade launcher then running away frantically while my friend whacks her with a crowbar was pretty damn funny but nothing will beat this:

We were playing Versus on the first Dead Centre campaign and I was the playing the Survivors. It was that section where you step onto the balcony to get into the other room. Can you guess what happened? My mate became a Charger and ran through me, picking me up, and running off the edge of the building...as we both fell all the way to the ground and I died immediately! Game over because there is no coming back from that! :D

masterkajo

Quick question: A friend of mine and I were playing and suddenly his game was completely in English (normally he uses German). He said there was some kind of update today (I guess that was the English voice download??) When he tries to set the game's language to German the game restarts but it is still in English. Also his steam language is German. Any idea what to do?

Amir0x

Banned
The whole of level one of Dead Center is terrifying as a survivor in versus. There are so many possible insta kill locations that it's a goddamned miracle if you make it out with all people alive. You gotta play against a really bad team for that to happen :lol

FuttBuck said:
Why is the 360 version such a piece of shit? I haven't played one game that wasn't plagued with awful lag. They need to fix this shit asap.

Have one of your friends create a lobby, and then switch the server to "Local Host." You'll be able to get some comparatively low lag games out of that, provided the host has a really good connection.

But yeah, Official Dedicated Servers are a complete bust right now for VALVE. They should genuinely be ashamed at how badly this has been handled.

"Hey, so how should we spend our budget?"
"TWENTY FIVE MILLION ON COMMERCIALS!"
"But shouldn't we, you know, spend some of that money to update our server capacity and load a little better, make it easy to handle the launch numbers we're likely to see?"
"HAHAHAHAHAA. No."

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Amir0x said:
"But shouldn't we, you know, spend some of that money to update our server capacity and load a little better, make it easy to handle the launch numbers we're likely to see?"
"HAHAHAHAHAA. No."
you know better than that, Amirox

Amir0x said:
The whole of level one of Dead Center is terrifying as a survivor in versus. There are so many possible insta kill locations that it's a goddamned miracle if you make it out with all people alive. You gotta play against a really bad team for that to happen :lol

Have one of your friends create a lobby, and then switch the server to "Local Host." You'll be able to get some comparatively low lag games out of that, provided the host has a really good connection.

But yeah, Official Dedicated Servers are a complete bust right now for VALVE. They should genuinely be ashamed at how badly this has been handled.

"HAHAHAHAHAA. No."

Thanks I'll try that.

Lol, yea it seems like they didn't spent any of it on making sure their servers were up and running well. It sucks too because I really like the game, I just can't enjoy it when zombies are teleporting all over.

Twig

Banned
hey kids da king is back
dere's no need to talk smack
y'all best belee dat
'fore i pop you wit' my gat

let's play me and volcano man and two others, i think fallen said he'd play, who else was there

TheExodu5

Banned
Nabs said:
no way.

but vent isn't the greatest either. there's another program called Mumble that has damn near no lag, and excellent voice quality.

yeah it is. i was once on the no mic side, but then competition got much better. it's just too bad l4d has shit voip, or else i'd use my mic more often. i only do so when my team agrees to jump on vent.

If only you guys had have used my Vent server. Had a nice one set up for NeoGAF...though I cut it's size now and just use it with friends. Using Speex 10 quality, which is pretty much perfect. Sounds about as good as recording straight to wav, though with a little bit of a lowpass filter effect. GSM sounds a bit better, but no lowpass, so it's grating on the ears.

Amir0x said:
Yup, me and my friends basically only play Scavenger right now, and only with a Local Host.

We're waiting for a pure Versus experience for when they got the lag sorted out. Never have I seen such a major release have such a unacceptable laggy server launch.

VALVE spent 25 million on fucking commercials. Maybe they should have saved some fucking money and spent 10 million on getting more/better servers.

Yeah, pretty god damned ridiculous.

MNC

vertopci said:
Anyone who uses vent or skype seriously needs to check out Mumble. Shit is fucking amazing. It feels like there is literally no lag at all between you sending a message and the other receiving it. Plus it has this crazy plug in for L4D that enables positional audio. So much awesome :lol

And Sanjay skype sucks!

Also I say that a mic is required to play decent in L4D/L4D2
Wait, so you actually have to scream when you're at a distance? :lol Awesome

vertopci said:
Anyone who uses vent or skype seriously needs to check out Mumble. Shit is fucking amazing. It feels like there is literally no lag at all between you sending a message and the other receiving it. Plus it has this crazy plug in for L4D that enables positional audio. So much awesome :lol

And Sanjay skype sucks!

Also I say that a mic is required to play decent in L4D/L4D2
Hmm, I am interested in this product and/or service. Do you know if it's possible to get this installed on a GameServers server? How did you get a chance to try that?

Hard Rain on Realism with Mumble....would be so awesome.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
The lag on 360 is a huge bummer for me, I tried to join a few matches today and they were all unplayable. Unfortunately I don't have many opportunities to join locally hosted games so I'm gonna have to wait and hope that Valve fixes it soon. It was really bad, I'd shot a zombie point blank in the dome and he'd just keep going.

Bunny

sorry about dropping out of that last game earlier (dygit and stalker), my computer froze up on me for some reason.

vertopci

MNC said:
Wait, so you actually have to scream when you're at a distance? :lol Awesome

It depends on how its set up. If you have the minimum volume possible set to 0%, no one can hear you even if you scream like a jet engine if you go too far :lol

You can set the minimum volume possible, min distance before voice chat from others starts to decrease in volume, and the max distance after which which the volume doesn't lower anymore. There's also a setting called bloom but I have no idea wtf that does.

RocketDarkness said:
Hmm, I am interested in this product and/or service. Do you know if it's possible to get this installed on a GameServers server? How did you get a chance to try that?

Hard Rain on Realism with Mumble....would be so awesome.

Yea gameservers has mumble for the same price as ventrilo, so you can just get it switched. Honestly, if you have people willing to switch over, you might as well get Mumble since it's faster than ventrilo and sounds much much better. Mumble actually has a few test servers up for you to join if you want to test it out after installing.

As of right now though, L4D2 doesn't have the plugin for mumble yet so it doesn't work yet for L4D2. Shouldn't be long before its available though. There are a few other games that have this plugin, so if you want to test it you can try it out on those other games or L4D1. Mumble even has an awesome overlay for games :D

TheExodu5 said:
If only you guys had have used my Vent server. Had a nice one set up for NeoGAF...though I cut it's size now and just use it with friends. Using Speex 10 quality, which is pretty much perfect. Sounds about as good as recording straight to wav, though with a little bit of a lowpass filter effect. GSM sounds a bit better, but no lowpass, so it's grating on the ears.

Problem with using max quality on Ventrilo is that it takes longer for other users to receive. I've tested this on my server. Difference between max speex quality and speex 16-bit @ 8 quality is about 1 to 1.5 seconds. Even then, mumble (Which actually uses Speex as well) sounds better than vent @ max speex and is far faster. Ventrilo is more user-friendly though IMO.

1-D_FTW

Bunny said:
sorry about dropping out of that last game earlier (dygit and stalker), my computer froze up on me for some reason.

No problem. I'm familiar with freeze ups. Think I've fixed the problem, but I've literally had more lockups than any game I've ever owned.

Just played a little bit in the Carnival with some randoms. Very laggy, but I really enjoyed the game. I can see the appeal here that I really didn't when the original was out and I passed on it. I think I need a new mouse. <.<

Finished all of the campaigns now and the game is just golden!

Best moments today were:

final of hard rain, 3 players and rochelle. We managed everthing and the rescue was there, a smoker got one of us. A hunter got another one. I was down because of low health and all the bot was doing was running for the boat. In the end she left with all 3 of us dead :lol

Parish final is just awesome, best final ever.

Bunny

1-D_FTW said:
No problem. I'm familiar with freeze ups. Think I've fixed the problem, but I've literally had more lockups than any game I've ever owned.

yeah me too, i've been getting this stuttering that lasts about a minute and when it stops i get some really bad graphical problems. i'm not the only one though, some people on the steam forums seem to think it's an nvidia card problem.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm up for a campaign run-through or two, if anyone is interested. It's too effing hot over here to do anything else, I swear.

Tank Burger?

Tank Burger...

Tank Burger!

This game is so awesome. It truly has improved the formula in every way. Just played the swamp fever campaign with my mates and we got to the finale. We were cruising through no problem really, until the second tank was scheduled to arrive. We started making our way out of the plantation house, thinking we would take care of business on our way to the boat. I saw the tank and readied my molotov, when I noticed that there was another tank right behind the one I saw. It all went downhill from there, naturally.

Also, clown zombies ensure this game to be the undisputed GOTY.

mandiller

Hey guys, my mouse is jerking all over the place and for a brief second stops responding when I look around in L4D2. It was fine yesterday but today it's acting up.

I have tried turning mouse filtering on and off and also turning V-sync off. It doesn't fix the problem and this problem is only in L4D2, all other games work fine with no mouse lag.

The only thing I did different today was I bound F4 to 'openserverbrowser' and tested that out. Apart from that I didn't do anything different. Any ideas?

ruxtpin

Banned
PBMax said:
Nothing but terrible lag so far on 360. Has Valve announced anything about fixing it?

This. I was just trying to look through the Valve/Steam forums and couldn't find anything. So frustrating.

Red Scarlet

I've noticed the cemetery..but I wonder if the game bases how well you did on the previous map for what paths in the next map are going to be blocked off or open; I can't remember many? if any changes on retries, but on separate plays I think I've noticed.

Top Bottom