• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

1up

Great Charger spot.
Right at the VERY beginning of Parish 1, if there are more than 1 survivor near the water you can charge 1, grab him, and hopefully one of his friends flys into the water.

Why, oh why do people quit out at the beginning of the finales. It's happened to me each of the 4 times I've gotten to the stage finale after the carnival. The bots are dumb as shit and it makes it kinda impossible. Also, why do people insist on starting these things before everyone is ready. Then we die. And then they quit. Ugh!

Daigoro

to those talking about lag on the 360 version:

are you talking about specific game modes? VS. only or something, or all modes?

ive played through 2 and 1/2 full campaigns and i havent noticed any lag at all as of yet.

fallengorn said:
They should've left Jimmy Gibbs Jr. in the game!

is that a character model that was left out of the game? i didnt see him when i played that level yesterday.

he should have been a one off special common infected or something. wouldve been awesome. Ellis wouldve freaked out. :lol

Tim-E

I think this game is fucking outstanding, but the AI beyond retarded. A jockey jumped on me earlier, and Rochelle just fucking walked beside me while looking at the ground for like 10 seconds before the Jockey eventually got off of me.

The AI usually takes care of Special Infected right quick for me
AH! Ellis in influencing meeee
. I've only had one :lol-worthy moment of stupidity from all of them: Swamp Fever, 1; Jockey rode me out to the water and left me hanging, waiting to be helped up...they didn't come for a couple seconds and when they were on top of me, they did not help me up :lol Instead, they just killed Common Infected as poor Ellis just screamed fruitlessly :lol

Slavik81

I took today off work and ended up playing ~9 hours of Left4Dead 2.

I played Dark Carnival a few times, but my team never made it past the first stage. Eventually, two entire teams quit.

Then I moved on to Dead Center, which went a lot better. We didn't have too many problems until the finale, which took roughly an hour.
The best way is most definitely to have two on top throwing stuff down, and two on bottom, hanging out in the weapon hut and filling the car when needed.
That opening in the hotel is also brilliant. I love how it starts you off without primary weapons.

Swamp Fever was a bit boring until the finale, which was brilliant. The setting's just kind of ugly and similar until then. I love that house so much. We did pretty well after our first couple tries. Our biggest problem was
the two tanks at once
. Our trick was to
hide in the hallway on the second floor, with one person meleeing zombies climbing up from the hole, and three facing the other way down the hall. It works great, but when the tanks come, you need to start moving. Outside is generally best for tanks, since they're less likely to trap you...

My favourite new infected is the Charger. He's a bit like the hunter in that he's brutal if you don't see him coming. The Jockey is just kind of annoying, and the spitter is pretty impotent. It's certainly doesn't match up to the smoker, witch or tank in terms of awesomeness.

snack

Weird thing happened to me today. I was just playing in Carnival VS. MODE, and was in the part at the L4D2 music crew Midnight Riders stadium or whatever. Anyway, my FPS drops to 25 FPS all of a sudden and stays like that for the next 2 minutes or so. After the 2 minutes, it returns back to my 60 FPS state (locked w/ triple buffering). I'm curious if anyone else has been having weird FPS issues similar to mine. I have multicore turned on, could that be the problem? This issue has only happened once and I've played the game for around 5 hours total. Specs are listed below.

GPU: 4850 512mb
CPU: x3 720 @ 2.8GHz stock

Bebpo

Banned
Played through campaign #1 with my friends. Uh, we don't make a good team. I find the game kinda frustrating when you play with players who aren't on the same page as you and go else where and then everyone dies. Especially annoying now that some of the stages are loooong and redoing them over and over because you die at the end because people were being stupid is >____<

Anyhow, went from Advanced at the start -> normal -> easy by the end and it still took almost 3 hours. :lol

xrich

Banned
h4k said:
Weird thing happened to me today. I was just playing in Carnival VS. MODE, and was in the part at the L4D2 music crew Midnight Riders stadium or whatever. Anyway, my FPS drops to 25 FPS all of a sudden and stays like that for the next 2 minutes or so. After the 2 minutes, it returns back to my 60 FPS state (locked w/ triple buffering). I'm curious if anyone else has been having weird FPS issues similar to mine. I have multicore turned on, could that be the problem? This issue has only happened once and I've played the game for around 5 hours total. Specs are listed below.

GPU: 4850 512mb
CPU: x3 720 @ 2.8GHz stock

you have locked 60fps with a 4850? like, rarely ever drops? what are your other settings? i have a 4870 and it regularly drops to about 40 during any gunfight..

snack

xrich said:
you have locked 60fps with a 4850? like, rarely ever drops? what are your other settings? i have a 4870 and it regularly drops to about 40 during any gunfight..

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. My FPS also goes down the 40s when in firefights, I meant that my FPS won't go higher than 60. Everything in video options is maxed out.

xrich

Banned
h4k said:
Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. My FPS also goes down the 40s when in firefights, I meant that my FPS won't go higher than 60. Everything in video options is maxed out.

what resolution? it doesnt go past 60fps because your "wait for vsync" is on. it probably stuck at 25fps for a bit because something was taking up your CPU performance.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
It's the triple buffering

I turned that shit off along with disabling dual core and the game has been fine ever since.

Stories...stories...

Everyone seems to be playing carnival, whether to get all the achievements or they like it or whatever. So I ended up playing that whole campaign 5 times :p

In one game, we did the gnome garden achievement. Hard as hell if you don't know what you're doing, ESPECIALLY the coaster part.

In another game, I was with a bunch of dumbasses. In the finale, I set up the whole area myself while the others were running around doing jack shit, even though I told them what to do and expect. Sigh...so if you can believe it. THEY ARE ALL INCAPPED! I run and help EACH AND EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM when the heli comes. Wouldn't you know it (you're expecting that they live and I die?) I end up surviving while the three end up dying again... :p

In all 5 games, I'm always at the end of the coaster for some reason...dunno why as there were better players, but I guess it was just my luck.

For the stages:

First one is pretty good, and I like the finale. Though not when you're with stupid people who don't know shit. We did the whole two up and down thing. But the other fucker runs off instead of protecting me, so I end up throwing half the shit down myself. Finally, I get incapped. Dude is 5 steps away, but instead of helping, he goes back downstairs...

Carnival. I've played it so much, it's pretty much second nature now.

Swamp was hard as hell! Me and Hawkian were playing it and in the end only some other guy beat it. The rest of us died. :(

Hard Rain is my fave. The environmental effects are amazing! The finale was kinda meh, but we got through it in one try. Stupid tanks kept falling down the hole in the store.

Parish is also ok. I managed to do the finale in under 3 min thanks to some helpful players who did it twice to help me out. First time, they got through and the tank blocking my path and knocked me into the water.

Didn't really touch the other modes yet and haven't touched Realism yet, either. A bit scared, to be honest.

I love the sniper rifle with 30 rounds! Everyone keeps talking shit and telling me to change it to something else, but at the end of the round, I'm always usually the one leading in kills, special kills, damage to tank, etc. They don't seem to remember all the times I snipe a smoker or charger to help them out. Also, it kills in one shot AND pierces, so I find it stronger than the shotty, AND the 30 rounds means I don't have to reload quite so often as I can easily take out a group charging at me. For the 2nd last stage of Carnival, when you have to hit the gate and reach the safe house, the gun works wonders when they're coming at you in a straight line.

Melee is neat, but I wish there were more differences. I haven't really noticed any special bat...

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Nabs said:
how many times have you played each map?

I've replaced Dead Center and Parish 5 times now, as well as the Carnival (getting those lulzy achievements).

Really, it's the same path. The "entries" are different (e.g. go through the fence instead of the door), but it's more or less the same.

TheExodu5

Banned
If you don't mind the tearing, turn off v-sync for sure...you'll get much better mouse response.

Glad to see some people are finally realizing that the framerate is dropping below 60 handily on some high end hardware.

My solution? Shaders on medium. Although you miss out on some heavy rain in hard rain, the game runs at 2x the speed, and you get rid of that ugly motion blur and bloom.

IcedTea

Ugh. I wish you didn't end up with a pistol when you get incapped with a melee weapon. Me and some friends just did all of Dark Carnival on advanced using only melee, but since you are able to shoot the instant you get incapped (and you're usually spamming mouse1 when you have 100 zombies on you...) a shot or two got fired and we didn't get the achievement.

xrich

Banned
Kuro Madoushi said:
It's the triple buffering

I turned that shit off along with disabling dual core and the game has been fine ever since.

do you turn that buffering thing off completely? i think i have mine on double buffering and i dont even know what it does.

Jenga

Banned
Where's my shifting day/night shift, weather changing, and dynamic pathing Valve?

:(

Okay, no real substantial pathing is fine, I can live with that...

But I really did want to see some weather change in all the maps (other than Hard Rain)
and more substantial shifts from day into night and vice versa. Now the whole "Wandering Witch" thing seems a lot less like a great feature when the levels are perpetually the same...

snack

TheExodu5 said:
If you don't mind the tearing, turn off v-sync for sure...you'll get much better mouse response.

Glad to see some people are finally realizing that the framerate is dropping below 60 handily on some high end hardware.

My solution? Shaders on medium. Although you miss out on some heavy rain in hard rain, the game runs at 2x the speed, and you get rid of that ugly motion blur and bloom.

Shaders are the cause of motion blur and bloom? I never knew that. I thought it was just a design implemented in the game no matter what settings you chose.

IcedTea said:
Ugh. I wish you didn't end up with a pistol when you get incapped with a melee weapon. Me and some friends just did all of Dark Carnival on advanced using only melee, but since you are able to shoot the instant you get incapped (and you're usually spamming mouse1 when you have 100 zombies on you...) a shot or two got fired and we didn't get the achievement.
Yeah, I had a shot at that achievement when I came home from the pub last night, but I got incapped at one point while pressing the trigger and fired a round or two from the pistol I never picked up.

-_-

Ookami-kun said:
I still couldn't see this "different paths" thing. The only place it had was in the cemetery.

If you played the Parish Demo a lot, surely you noticed that in the cafe with the juke box, sometimes the door to the kitchen would be boarded up and sometimes it would just be a normal door?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I've only noticed one change in the first campaign. Either you break the window and run to the third floor or go through a door. Though I've only seen the door once, every other time is the window now :p

Not HUGE differences by any means.

Sibylus

Banned
Kuro Madoushi said:
Hard Rain is my fave. The environmental effects are amazing! The finale was kinda meh, but we got through it in one try. Stupid tanks kept falling down the hole in the store.
The third tank walking in front of the boat and throwing punches is not "meh" D:

NOOOOO

Was hosting local coop for an expert game on Dark Carnival, took us 4 hours to get to the finale! We killed the first tank, only for my internet connection to drop, leaving me alone with bots and ultimately death. When my connection came back a minute later back in the saferoom, nobody could join my server (guess it shuts down automatically when those no connection) and we had to restart >_<

Fuck me was it fun though ^_^

Amir0x

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
I hit refresh on my community page..

Bulleta: Total Playtime:
Past 2 weeks:0s
23h 42m
Bulleta: 0 of 50 (0%) Achievements Earned::

:eek:

23 hours for L4D2 since it came out?

But how didn't you get any achievements, didn't you beat the campaign?

Amir0x

Banned
see shit like that doesn't happen on 360!

i wonder how many more excuses I can make for the 360 version

syllogism said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zG-w3XwgEE

Too bad you apparently can't bind most/any of these

Lol @ His friend Keith jumping "right to the shack stage" :lol

Daigoro

Red Scarlet said:
I hit refresh on my community page..

Bulleta: Total Playtime:
Past 2 weeks:0s
23h 42m
Bulleta: 0 of 50 (0%) Achievements Earned::

:eek:

WOW. i am thoroughly un-SHOCKED!

seriously wtf. why can Valve not get this shit fixed? there have been achievement glitches in L4D since day 1!

its bullshit.

Amir0x said:
see shit like that doesn't happen on 360!

i wonder how many more excuses I can make for the 360 version

nonsense. the achievements for Crash Course were glitched to hell. did they ever fix all of them?

i got slick pull like 3 times and it never registered. never got the achievement for winning a VS match either. :(

edit: also, no need to defend the 360 version. its not the superior version by any stretch of the imagination, but it is still awesome. i dont regret owning both versions of 1 and 2 at all. the game is that good.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
jumped into campaign last night with Itsinmyveins and Ridley (is he a gaffer)?

we did SHOCKINGLY badly. haha. it was fun though. I had already beat hard rain though :( so now my grand total of L4D experience is Hard rain x2.

playing on advanced is fucking tricky. the difficulty kept randomly changing to expert as well, which is just nuts. 2 zombie hits and accidently shooting your friend/getting shot by your friend and it's over.

Don't like push to talk either. Should be like xboxlive where your team can just chat.

Brainboy

catfish said:
Don't like push to talk either. Should be like xboxlive where your team can just chat.

I'm fairly certain you can change this in the Audio options. One of the people I was playing with last night tried turning off push-to-talk, but it usually just results in constant transmission and/or static noise.

Alternatively you could always try running a Ventrilo server in the background. Ventrilo has quite a few options for microphone sensitivity and so on (as well as the obvious push-to-talk).

Daigoro

yeah, in the PC demo you could turn push to talk off.

dunno why they changed it. voice worked just fine in L4D1. id just mute myself if i didnt want people to hear my bitching.

catfish said:
jumped into campaign last night with Itsinmyveins and Ridley (is he a gaffer)?

we did SHOCKINGLY badly. haha. it was fun though. I had already beat hard rain though :( so now my grand total of L4D experience is Hard rain x2.

playing on advanced is fucking tricky. the difficulty kept randomly changing to expert as well, which is just nuts. 2 zombie hits and accidently shooting your friend/getting shot by your friend and it's over.

That was me :)

The first chapter went okay, but the second one where you had to go to the gas station went pretty horribly. The first few tries we managed to startle almost every witch that was remotely on our path. I also liked the part when we finally reached the elevator, but everyone was in the red and noone had any guns :p And when we went back there were hardly any medkits available, so that was also pretty tense. Still lots of fun. I especially liked chapter 4, I managed to reach the saferoom with just 1 hp thorughout the entire chapter. But when I was like 3 steps away, Itsinmyveins shot and killed me even though nothing else was around :lol

Dunno why it it went back to expert each new chapter. I think the orignal idea was to play it on normal (or advanced at best), but we started on expert somehow.

As for the stats erasing, it doesn't actually erase your stats, you just can't see them sometimes.

Total Playtime: 17h 42m 59s
Past 2 weeks: 22h 48m
View global achievement stats
24 of 50 (48%) Achievements Earned::

still got mine :) are they the right way around timewise???

i dont care too much achievement wise right now as every single one can be done in a normal play through right now. (the ones i have i mean) so yeah glitch away right now but after i have done all the campaigns on expert and it glitches.... grrr... (like last time! :( )

i think the whole push to talk thing is better this way as it means people now know what they are doing to set up open mic correctly (or at least i hope!)

Red Scarlet

They're still there in the game, and we just finished playing again, and they're back on the steam community page..but the weapon info looks like it's just from the campaign I played; only weapon info is for the weapons I used there.

Was Hard Rain on Advanced Realism again..so much fun. :D

I turned the shader up to high, and I actually got rain to show..but it makes my FPS dip down (or sometimes, up, during the torrential storm). I need a better vid card sometime, it was much cooler with the rain.

And Hero thought we were doomed cause only he was using a mic in the game.

Getting lost and seeing..nothing..teammate-wise is so tense, I love it.

Syllogism found a lot of vocalizations for Ellis..hopefully he'll try with Coach and hook me up with some.

I had weird hard crashes with no error message today, but a workaround on the steampowered forums seems to have addressed them. Still, very worrying. And I still get weird, inexplicable framerate drops even with different combinations of v-sync/multicore enabled or not.

Otherwise, I love this game, even with a hangover.

Oh, and yes, stats seem weird, and aren't showing achievements I got on release day.

Nickiepoo

Yeah, have to use vent/TS for this, the quality of the ingame chat is horrible. Apparently it makes me sound like a monkey.

I don't normally sound like a monkey, shut up.

Red Scarlet

Noooooo it didn't save the cap of the cool Tank victory in the last game.

It was..Hard Rain 3 I think, a Tank showed up very early on, and incapped one or two people. I was with Hero I think, near the safe room, so I ran back to it after Hero got incapped. I tried to block the door to get the cheap kill on the Tank, but he punched me in the face, bringing me down to red health. Since he launched me by some stairs, he just punched through the safe room door, then threw a rock. The rock hit the stairs, so I could..back into the corner and get incapped too for the game over. I had a crowbar, and somehow managed to run at him and get a hit off before he punched me in the face for the incap, and I killed the guy. Managed to pick everyone else up too.

Was pretty awesome
very lucky

Oh, we got the "don't spook any of the witches" thing for it, and you can get it if you just die.
We didn't scare any until level 3, and one got spooked, and we died a little after, so we tried level 3 again (I figured it wouldn't count), but we didn't spook any witches the next try and still got it, if that helps folks that want to get that achieve.

Top Bottom