• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

Couple quick questions, guys. I just ordered this bad boy from amazon and will be getting it sometime next week (360 version). How noob friendly is it on XBL? Is it "douche-central"?

I rented the first one right around release and found it to be fine but after a year’s worth of practice for most folks, I'm a little concerned.

CloakedPuppet said:
Couple quick questions, guys. I just ordered this bad boy from amazon and will be getting it sometime next week (360 version). How noob friendly is it on XBL? Is it "douche-central"?

I rented the first one right around release and found it to be fine but after a year’s worth of practice for most folks, I'm a little concerned.

I'm definately an average player at best, so if you want to play any games you can add me as a friend, I'm in the UK though so our paths may never cross due to time differences :lol

Heres the way i have been weeding out the douches: I set up a game playing at the difficulty im comfortable with (advanced), and make it public so anyone can join. If people join who seem on my level and aren't douches then i send a friend request. I did this in the demo and now have a few people i know I can play with and have a decent time.

Rubashov

I just became another victim to the random stats/achievements wipe. They aren't showing up in-game either. So annoying. Looks like Valve has no idea what's causing this bug still.

kai3345

Banned
Rubashov said:
I just became another victim to the random stats/achievements wipe. They aren't showing up in-game either. So annoying. Looks like Valve has no idea what's causing this bug still.
Why are they doing random achievement wipes?

conman

CloakedPuppet said:

Seems to be quite a few new folks and rusty veterans. I've only run into a few annoying children, but most folks keep pretty quiet other than when communication is necessary. Usually if you set up (or join) an Advanced level game, you avoid the really obnoxious people altogether. I think most of the douches are currently too busy pissing people off in MW2. :D

But it's definitely a bigger challenge than the first game. Normal is very do-able, but Advanced is a real challenge (and I'd beaten all but one of the episodes in the first game on Expert).

It fucking cracks me up when a tank is coming and three of us continue to sit there and play whack-a-mole on Dark Carnival while someone else kites the tank.

Amir0x

Banned
McBradders said:
This game is makes a mockery of L4D1's difficulties :lol

Seriously.

I genuinely do not believe I'll ever be able to complete Swamp Fever on expert, let alone on realism mode.

The others I could probably do, with time... but Swamp Fever is going to be jesus christ.

Amir0x

Banned
I can't believe the official dedicated servers are still complete garbage the third night into release.

Is Valve seriously fucking retarded?

CloakedPuppet said:

Despite the stereotypes about XBL, it's no better or worse than any other online service - you got your fair share of douches and your fair share of perfectly fine people.

I'd recommend you at least play with one friend at all times, though, so that if you do get a douche, it would be easier to kick that person off with the combined help of your buddy.

I had a terrible XBL douche story though last night...

We were playing Motel Scavenger mode, and it was three of my buddies plus a random guy... I think his name was Hazy32. Well anyway, we invited him to our party chat and we're discussing the strategy. Nothing special, we just suggested splitting into two groups, going 2-by-2 to every location. That's fine.

So we're playing, and I forget why but we all split up at one point and he starts being all belligerent. "I thought we were playing a fucking TEAM GAME, fuck." I'm like "we just got separated, it's cool it's nothing serious. Just relax." "yeah I'll relax when people play-the-fuck as a GODDAMN TEAM."

What made this more bizarre is that we were winning. And not just winning, but slaughtering the other team. We were on our 14th gas canister at that point.

Finally, we get all 16 and I say "See man, me and my friends are good players. We just enjoy playing chill games, no need to get serious."

And he starts like "I won't get fucking serious if you knew how to play as a team."

Then I say "Ok, dude, no offense but we can't play with someone who is going to be rude like that."

So we vote kick him. He's still in the party chat, mind you, and when he sees he is getting kicked he turns into the fucking demon possessed child from the exorcist.

"SUCK MY FUCKING DICK."
"I AM GOING TO FIND YOUR FUCKING ADDRESS AND HUNT YOU DOWN, AND KILL YOU AND SLAUGHTER YOUR CHILDREN. FUCK YOU YOU FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT. YOU GOTTA KICK PEOPLE CAUSE YOU SUCK AT L4D2? YOU A REAL MAN? I'M GOING TO HUNT. YOU. DOWN. AND. EAT. YOUR. FACE. FUCK YOU."

This goes on for another five minutes, and we don't kick him out of the party because at this point we're dying from laughter. Then after he is done, we kick him and set the party to invite only.

Seriously.

xero273

Blizzard said:
Someone else said the dedicated servers were working fine on 360, Amir0x. Maybe it's just you? :p

...didn't Valve uh, MAKE Steam and its achievements? How can it not be POSSIBLE for them to fix a bug? :lol

I think that comment is just saying that there is no way for users to fix this problem. At least I hope that is the case. If not then :lol at valve

Amir0x

Banned
Blizzard said:
Someone else said the dedicated servers were working fine on 360, Amir0x. Maybe it's just you? :p

If someone said the dedicated servers were working fine, perhaps they were playing at 2:00am in the morning when all of America was sleeping because the official dedicated servers are factually fucked up the ass.

There is not a single person on my friend list who has L4D2 that isn't having huge issues with the official dedicated servers. 20 people on my friend list currently on playing, I've talked to at least 15 of those in the last day, all of them ask to switch to local host because official dedicated is unplayable shit.

Every time you go on Official Dedicated, every single individual red bars. And not just the "sort-of-playable red bar", the red bars that are so bad that when you click on something, it takes five seconds before your character picks it up.

And in any event, I played L4D for an entire year with zero issues. L4D2 official dedicated servers are a complete mess.

kai3345

Banned
Blizzard said:

...didn't Valve uh, MAKE Steam and its achievements? How can it not be POSSIBLE for them to fix a bug? :lol
No, Im also having dedicated server problems, as are all of my friends.

Twig

Banned
xero273 said:
I think that comment is just saying that there is no way for users to fix this problem. At least I hope that is the case. If not then :lol at valve
No. What they mean is there's no way to get the lost data back. It's gone.

Blizzard

Banned
kai3345 said:
No, Im also having dedicated server problems, as are all of my friends.
Well if it worked fine in L4D1, they either just didn't set up enough, or they've got an issue with their binary, I suppose. I know you could just download your own PC dedicated server...are 360 dedicated servers only run by Valve, or can you actually host one on PC?

(if this information is easily available sorry I didn't know...I did one quick search but didn't see anything obvious on google)

Slavik81

Rubashov said:
FFFFFFUUUUUU!
I beat Swamp Fever and Dead Center on Expert and now the achievements are gone.

Amir0x said:
Seriously.

I genuinely do not believe I'll ever be able to complete Swamp Fever on expert, let alone on realism mode.

The others I could probably do, with time... but Swamp Fever is going to be jesus christ.
We can do it together... *sigh*

McBradders said:
This game is makes a mockery of L4D1's difficulties :lol
You're insane. L4D2 is WAY easier than the original.

xero273

TheOneGuy said:
No. What they mean is there's no way to get the lost data back. It's gone.

wow that sucks for people that have been playing a lot. good thing I only played for an hour so not a big loss for me.

Red Scarlet

Slavik81 said:
In the original, I'd never have beaten two campaigns on Expert on the first night. I didn't even get to a finale for a few days.

Well obviously, playing 1 for a year wouldn't make you better when you start playing 2 compared to when you started playing 1.

Slavik81 said:
In the original, I'd never have beaten two campaigns on Expert on the first night. I didn't even get to a finale for a few days.
Certainly couldn't be because you have a much better idea of how the game works, thus increasing your skill level significantly compared to your first game of L4D. Nosireebob.

So yeah, i'm sure this has been discussed to death but:

Is anyone having the problem where the game randomly crashes and kicks you to the desktop? I'll be stomping zombie ass one second, then staring at my wallpaper blankly the next.

Coop

DeaconKnowledge said:
So yeah, i'm sure this has been discussed to death but:

Is anyone having the problem where the game randomly crashes and kicks you to the desktop? I'll be stomping zombie ass one second, then staring at my wallpaper blankly the next.

I'm having that problem too and I'm having connection problems too. Especially when my team switch sides in versus and scavenger.

TheExodu5

Banned
And all my achievements were wiped.

Fuck that.

Add to that that the game has crashed 3-4 times on me so far...this was one rushed game. Not gonna bother until it's fixed. I have school work to do anyways. =\

Red Scarlet

Hm, watching my first time playing The Parish 5, I wonder if it was a mistake by the game, or that I had some adrenaline health still AND was still(? I think I was) under the 2nd Adrenaline's effect, but I didn't get incapped by a car the Tank hit at me. It did 25 damage, but no instant incap. If Adrenaline prevents you from being incapped by hit objects..ooo.

There's a couple more with you in them, Mickey. I'll post when they're all up. :)

Slavik81

Red Scarlet said:
Well obviously, playing 1 for a year wouldn't make you better when you start playing 2 compared to when you started playing 1.
RocketDarkness said:
Certainly couldn't be because you have a much better idea of how the game works, thus increasing your skill level significantly compared to your first game of L4D. Nosireebob.
Shouldn't the guys who think it's harder also be getting that benefit? In fact, anyone who can compare them must have played both.

I didn't play all that much L4D1. Just couple weeks of it last November, and a game or two in the leadup to 2.

Trying to convince my three L4D pals to get L4D2. None of them have been overtly interested. I have a $20 TRU gift card so I can get it for $40. I'm not going to get it without my pals though. Thankfully they're moving in the right direction I think. Hope it's worth it.

Red Scarlet

I think Expert+Realism will be harder than Expert was in 1. I think Advanced+Realism is on part with Expert was in 1, really. Not being familiar with the maps plays a good role in finding things difficult, plus the new infected I think make it harder.

Across the board? I don't know which one is harder. I do think Expert in 2 should be harder with the longer maps and trickier finales, and Advanced/Expert Realism will be harder than Expert was in 1. All 4 campaigns in 1 had their 'perfect camp spots' to completely wipe all the zombies and specials (and Tanks if they shot right); 2 I'm not really seeing those uber spots, especially when you have to keep moving on 2 finales and Swamp Fever's special guest star. Inside the mansion by the stairs seemed like a mighty fine camp spot though, but not on the Tank. Then again, you could just hang there and tankburger them.

JRW

Shake Appeal said:
HR Realism is my favourite gaming experience of the year. It must be the most terrifying thing in the world on Expert. :lol

Whats it like? I havent even tried Realism yet lol. I will soon.

Red Scarlet

JRW said:
Whats it like? I havent even tried Realism yet lol. I will soon.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=18537202&postcount=2106

And all the clips are up, for those interested. They're all from the first time playing the games, so yeah. :lol

Hey Cho, watch out for that window
OH YEAH CHAINSAW
Falling Down was a cool movie
Tank helps us out
Pro Charger
Blast that bitch
Mick's close escape
Don't shoot those cars
Hey Crushed, there's a Witch there
Crushed makes a new friend
Bye bye Botolf
Crushed gets...crushed

I made them a montage of 1 video, but the sound starts to lag behind a little at the end.
http://redscarlet.paragonsigma.com/L4D/l4d2fp1-12.avi

All of the first time playing Dead Center on advanced is up, and most of Hard Rain on Advanced+Realism is up, but I don't know who'd really want to watch those.

Thanks to everyone involved that made these clips and the first time through memorable. :)

Teknoman

Shawsie64 said:
So just messed around and got up to mall in singleplayer as my mates are still at work but holy shit, is it just me or is the first campaign longer than half of L4D1?! :D

:lol seems that way.

Oh and about to get some co-op action going. Trying to decide on normal or realisim for my second time playing the game (played retail for the first time two days ago, only one senario).

EDIT: Hey, my steam achievements for L4D2 got wiped too ; ;

kai3345

Banned
ravien56 said:
What changes in realism?
No glow around your teammates (baisically, you separate or get lost, you're fucked)

Common Infected have much more health, but headshots are instakill (similar to many zombie movies.)

Items don't have a glow either.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
it seems like I'm always Rochelle! luckily, she has the most hilarious laugh VA, so I'm not too fussed.

Top Bottom