• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

Zzoram

All this stat/achievement wiping on Steam makes me glad I didn't buy this day 1. By the time I get it, probably during Boxing Week, these bugs should be fixed.

Slavik81

Red Scarlet said:
I'd consider the Tank did great in that 'Tank Fail' video..what with incapping 3 people and making you run so far away from him you got Huntered shortly after killing the 'fail Tank'.

My story was much cooler..wish I had capped it.
Tank Fail was referring to my failure, not the tank's.
I thought I was so lucky to have killed the tank with my last remaining shot, but...

Red Scarlet

Oh, lol. If I recorded every time I failed after something like that, I'd have a large library of vids.

OH.

Got this on the last game:
c3m2_swamp0001.jpg

I thought it had to be for everyone to not get hit, but apparently not (it's for whichever indivudual players get no dmg); I was the only one that got it. We had 2 chainsaws in that double-wide back seat of the plane. Was hoping the chainsaws would keep everything at bay, but a Charger came and hit the front two and Botolf said he got 'launch damage' or whatever. Was really surprised. So with patience, just have two people guard the other two and hopefully the back two will get it.

Slavik81

Red Scarlet said:
Oh, lol. If I recorded every time I failed after something like that, I'd have a large library of vids.
:lol You already have a large library of vids.

This was my test run for making demo videos. I'd never done it before.
And aside from my troubles with the x64 version of VirtualDub, it seems to have worked fairly well...

Zzoram

Red Scarlet said:
Yeah but they have fail and win! If I recorded EVERY fail, it'd be ginormous.

Have you upgraded your PC since the early days of L4D1? I recalled some of your old screenshots not looking as good as the one you just posted.

Zzoram

Red Scarlet said:

So L4D2 runs just as well as the original, even though it looks better? What GPU did you have again? Somebody asked me if a Radeon 9800 could play L4D but I told him probably not since I have no idea how older cards handle the game.

Concept17

Now that I've had some time with VS and Scavenge, I don't think I'll be returning to just co-op. Maybe to try some realism, but otherwise, once you've done it once, it just gets old. VS is really the life of the game.

<3 jockey

Zzoram

Concept17 said:
Now that I've had some time with VS and Scavenge, I don't think I'll be returning to just co-op. Maybe to try some realism, but otherwise, once you've done it once, it just gets old. VS is really the life of the game.

<3 jockey

Did they do anything to discourage rage quitters in VS? It's annoying when people only stay for 1 round, often just the zombie side of 1 round.

Red Scarlet

Zzoram said:
So L4D2 runs just as well as the original, even though it looks better? What GPU did you have again? Somebody asked me if a Radeon 9800 could play L4D but I told him probably not since I have no idea how older cards handle the game.

The only main, new issues I have afaik is that the game loses framerate at Tanks for some reason, and The Parish 5 seems a bit too much for my computer to handle in multiplayer, as that drops the framerate too. My recommended settings set all the stuff to medium aside from some memory thing, and for Hard Rain to actually show rain, it needs to be set to high. I CAN play it on high, but I tend to get framerate in the teens or sometimes higher than normal (I was getting 48 when it rained; I tend to get 29-32 most of the time).

If my GPU is graphics card, it's some GE Force 7600 GS..which I know I need to upgrade sometime (but it is better than my integrated one that couldn't even play CS 1.6 that I had before).

Zzoram

Red Scarlet said:
The only main, new issues I have afaik is that the game loses framerate at Tanks for some reason, and The Parish 5 seems a bit too much for my computer to handle in multiplayer, as that drops the framerate too. My recommended settings set all the stuff to medium aside from some memory thing, and for Hard Rain to actually show rain, it needs to be set to high. I CAN play it on high, but I tend to get framerate in the teens or sometimes higher than normal (I was getting 48 when it rained; I tend to get 29-32 most of the time).

If my GPU is graphics card, it's some GE Force 7600 GS..which I know I need to upgrade sometime (but it is better than my integrated one that couldn't even play CS 1.6 that I had before).

7600GS is not too shabby. Yeah integrated is garbage, I don't know how Intel can even call it graphics when it can't handle CS 1.6 on lowest settings. Intel Integrated did more harm to PC gaming than piracy could ever do.

I'm guessing your 7600GS is in a laptop. That's fine, no need to upgrade this year. Next summer will probably be one of those sweet spots for upgrades because nVidia's new stuff will come out, pushing down prices of ATIs stuff. Also by then, ATI HD5700 series should be in laptops.

Wow, I played Versus for the first time today...so good.

I beat all Campaigns on my own before attempting it. My first few tries were horrible because I wasn't used to it, but, man...it was a team loss because some people would just rush through and separate. I love playing as The Infected, though, and after a few rounds, I've improved quite a bit :D

I did get kinda sad because I was kicked out of one game :( I had my headset on but wasn't talking because no one was...then someone said, "someone fix their mic." I didn't think for a second it was mine...people have never said it makes noise when I play with them and I didn't hear anything <_< I never see it flicker to indicate there's noise resonating from it, either, like in lobbies/parties and stuff. I was having fun, too :( I hope the noise remained after they kicked me out <_<

Anyway, that was one of my very first games and I sucked horribly, but as I played, I enjoyed the fuck out of the mode :lol One of my random teams and I did sooooo good as Survivors and Infected...it was awesome :D I must've gotten on the opposing team's nerves with my Spitter :lol Hard Rain sugar mill + Spitter = <3 vantage points <3 I must've been the Spitter for more than five minutes, almost always landing the spit XD

And, holy shit...one round sure does take a while sometimes.

Red Scarlet

Zzoram said:
7600GS is not too shabby. Yeah integrated is garbage, I don't know how Intel can even call it graphics when it can't handle CS 1.6 on lowest settings. Intel Integrated did more harm to PC gaming than piracy could ever do.

I'm guessing your 7600GS is in a laptop. That's fine, no need to upgrade this year. Next summer will probably be one of those sweet spots for upgrades because nVidia's new stuff will come out, pushing down prices of ATIs stuff. Also by then, ATI HD5700 series should be in laptops.

Nope, not a laptop.

TheExodu5

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
You know how they work, right? Whoever's the lobby leader is the one that finds a server, so it's close to that person. So it's not really the game's fault if you are connecting to somebody far away that found a server. What are the pings for people connecting to you when you host? I don't know if 10/1Mbit Rogers is good or not.

I'd consider the Tank did great in that 'Tank Fail' video..what with incapping 3 people and making you run so far away from him you got Huntered shortly after killing the 'fail Tank'.

My story was much cooler..wish I had capped it.

I should have taken screenshots. I was the lobby leader...everyone in the server had 200+ pings. This was the case every time but once (since me and my local friends always create the lobby), when I joined some random game in progress and the opposing team all had amazing pings.

Just got done playing with some awesome guys on hard rain, we killed every witch we came across, even though it took its toll on all our health haha. The funny thing is, we killed 14, i cant believe there were that many.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
All the new infected are crazy from what I've seen, though I've only played a few matches in versus so far and they've all been on Hard Rain. The Spitter gets so many great chances to just mess people up, whether it be that they're all bunched up(elevator), going ahead and blocking the path for a bit, or epseically just spitting on a downed person that's being helped up. I noticed people there either took a lot of damage or they just drop the person to get out, giving the rest of the infected more time to strike.

I haven't seen that much from the charger aside from an instant KO he got on me right after the elevator going up on. That seems like something that may happen a lot, he can kamikaze into people in quite a few spots.

And the Jockey is just an asshole that always delays the whole survivor team and can completely mess up the entire coordination of a team if they get moved back far enough.

Zzoram

I wonder, do you guys feel that the new Special Infected obsolete any of the old ones? I'm mainly thinking the Hunter. I never liked the Hunter much, maybe because I never perfected pounce arcs to get pounce damage and it used to be the one you'd face or control 70% of the time.

I suck with the Charger ^^ I always run into a goddamn wall or miss completely. Sometimes when I have a clear shot (from how I see it at a distance) and I charge, there's always a freakin' pole or fence I hadn't seen...whyyyyy.

Actually, I pretty much suck with the Jockey and Hunter, too...I can't land an attack for the life of me.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
dragonlife29 said:
I suck with the Charger ^ I always run into a goddamn wall or miss completely. Sometimes when I have a clear shot (from how I see it at a distance) and I charge, there's always a freakin' pole or fence I hadn't seen...whyyyyy.

Yeah, I'm really bad at lining him up too. I had a PERFECT shot in the sugar cane field and when I went for it I ended up hitting the pipe right before them. I've also seen teammates just completely whiff and go running to their death.

Hard Rain is definitely my favorite campaign for Versus, I think; just because of stealth opportunities with...hard rain. I've only played it and Darck Carnival, though, with some of The Parish sprinkled here and there.

We 360 L4D2 owners should play a full-room versus match one of these days.

Firestorm

Slavik81 said:
I too just did it, and the tank killed me while I was standing on the side of the boat. ;_;

PS. I've learned not to bother trying to play L4D2 while uploading videos to youtube. That's no good.
It wasn't even the Tank that got him down. It was a friggin' Smoker. And then I had to leave him as the third Tank came it caught up and killed me which allowed two of my friends to escape =(

It was short though. So far:

Dead Centre: 1.5 hours
Dark Carnival: 2.5 hours
whatever Swamp: NA
Hard Rain: 50 mins
The Parish: NA

Jenga

Banned
Actually, I do think the hunter has been outclassed by the Charger and the Jockey. Both are really more useful than him.

Jenga said:
Actually, I do think the hunter has been outclassed by the Charger and the Jockey. Both are really more useful than him.
Hunter has definitely moved from the main source of damage to a supporting role, but he's got some major perks that shouldn't be overlooked.

+Completely silent when not crouching.
+Negligible charge time for primary attack. Missing isn't the end of the world.
+Long-range pounces are still the highest instant-damage attack available.
+High maneuverability.
+There's so many other special infected to watch out for, people are less likely to watch the skies.

The hunter seems like more of a defensive/stealth infected now. Say a Charger carries someone away, the hunter can be waiting to pounce the first person coming to their rescue, delaying it.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Amir0x said:
Seriously.

I genuinely do not believe I'll ever be able to complete Swamp Fever on expert, let alone on realism mode.

The others I could probably do, with time... but Swamp Fever is going to be jesus christ.

Couldn't even beat Dark Carnival on fucking normal last night. The amount of specials we were having thrown at us simultaneously during the finalé was just stupid :lol

Slavik81 said:
You're insane. L4D2 is WAY easier than the original.

You are on crack, sir. Crack.

Amir0x

Banned
McBradders said:
Couldn't even beat Dark Carnival on fucking normal last night. The amount of specials we were having thrown at us simultaneously during the finalé was just stupid :lol

You are on crack, sir. Crack.

Yeah there's pretty much no way it's easier. There are way more special infected to contend with, many which completely removal any possible L4D1 strategies which made it easy - turtling, exploit corners, etc. There are way more common infected to deal with, and in swamp fever mother fuckers just glide around you and get in your way, and it's hard to see where they're coming from through the brush. And there's the mud slowing you down, making it harder to walk fast. And if it's on expert, like in L4D1, just a few taps from a common infected can get you half way down. A little mistake here, a little mistake there and you're all out of health packs and wondering how you're going to get through the stage. These levels are made in such a way where it's even more difficult to regulate your paths together.

I beat all L4D1 campaigns on expert, it was a little hard but ultimately it was certainly more manageable than L4D2. All of my primary group I play with agree that the difficulty level is much higher here.

I like a challenge, though. And you bet your ass we'll eventually get it. Just don't know how long it's gonna take for that damned Swamp Fever. Swamp Fever is riDONKulous on expert. Expert Realism is going to be like cutting your wrists on that level.

syllogism

Rahk said:
Expert finales are terrible. Not fun at all. Unless you enjoy restarting 20 times. Advanced realism is the way to play.
Or maybe they are made for players who don't have to restart them 20 times

McBradders

Amir0x said:
I like a challenge, though. And you bet your ass we'll eventually get it. Just don't know how long it's gonna take for that damned Swamp Fever. Swamp Fever is riDONKulous on expert. Expert Realism is going to be like cutting your wrists on that level.

I'm glad it is, I was and am not at all big on the versus mode in this game in the slightest, and the campaigns really did become a cakewalk even when having to babysit my girlfriend so the added value of not being able to whip through the campaigns in a day or two is totally welcome.

The frustration is not :lol

Amir0x

Banned
Man Versus is so awesome, let me shield my ears from your slander :(

But as an aside, if you hated Versus, I would still recommend you try Scavenge mode. That is much shorter bites of gameplay, but it's incredibly fun and requires a lot of interesting team dynamics.

Red Scarlet

I need to practice my crowning..I'm fine usually with either shotty (I kinda like the Combat Shotty more for doing it), but I tried with flame rounds and missed, but she died in a couple shots anyway and it was pretty cool. Explosive rounds was just for lols..but I want to actually 1 hit them with those sometime.

Looking forward to Hard Rain Expert Realism tomorrow with Rocket Darkness..hope there's lots of cool moments.

Red Scarlet

Hopefully you'll see this RD, a friend of mine wants to join in our game tomorrow, and I messaged MickeyKnox if he wants to give it a go. So we might have our 4.

Why must I watch the trailer every time I boot up the game? It's friggin' hypnotic!

And I love how EVERY Special Infected goes right after Ellis. Poor little fella.

McBradders

BenjaminBirdie said:
Why must I watch the trailer every time I boot up the game? It's friggin' hypnotic!

And I love how EVERY Special Infected goes right after Ellis. Poor little fella.

I played Ellis last night and can confirm this happens in game too ¬_¬;

Amir0x said:
Man Versus is so awesome, let me shield my ears from your slander :(

But as an aside, if you hated Versus, I would still recommend you try Scavenge mode. That is much shorter bites of gameplay, but it's incredibly fun and requires a lot of interesting team dynamics.

Yeah, that totally sounds more up my proverbial alley. It was the time investment and no regular team to play with that killed it for me last game.

123rl

We had a great night on Versus. Me and two friends played against randoms. We set up a Party Chat for ourselves and invited our fourth player in but he refused to join lol

Funniest moment of the night came from Hard Rain, on the third level. We planned a great attack at the elevator. I was a Smoker and planned to pull one of them off the ledge when they step out, a Hunter was in a prime position and my third friend was a Charger - hoping to Charge someone right off the building. Everything was set PERFECTLY...then our fourth player who refused to talk to us became a Spitter and spat in the elevator and died...incapping all four of them:lol

Oh and Versus on the Parish finale is hilarious! It's absolute chaos but just so funny

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Swamp Fever is probably my least favourite campaign, but it's awesome that earlier today when I joined I game I still typed "ah, sweet, I love this campaign", because, you know, it's still that good.

JudgeN

God this thread, I must stay away. Its making me want to go to best buy right now and pick it up. Black Friday is so close, $30 at gamestop * Runs away quick*

MNC

Got L4D2 installed on the PC- Framerate isn't something to write home about, but it gets better graphics and a stable framerate. HOWEVER, the framerate drops HARD when I'm in the first map of Dead Center, when I look at fire. Literally drops to 1fps.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Valve must be super-happy with the plane crescendo-event in Swamp Fever. They don't gate you in any way, but every time I've played it, my party's natural reaction has been to stand our ground on the plane wing and defend ourselves until the horde starts tapering off. It's that neat 'manipulating the player to do something without explicitly forcing them to do it' thing that they do so well, except this time, they don't even bother gating the players. Awesome. :lol

FireFly said:
Why does it continue to say on my Steam stats that I've played -1 games?
mine says -2 :lol.

EDIT: The fuck. all my stats are gone. wtf

Ogs said:
All my stats and achievements wiped too :'( Thought theyd have this shit sorted after L4D1.
;( mine too.

i knew there was another reason to not play during launch month.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
yeah my stats are gone, it remembers my achievements and how long I've played though.

well, it knows my achievements when I'm in the game. It doesn't on my profile page.

PSA: Explosive rounds are bloody dangerous. I was shooting closely between two trees and some of the gun shot disoriented me for a couple seconds. Also don't shoot zombies with frag rounds near your friends.

Twig

Banned
Gotta love Valve's inability to properly record stats and cheesemints.

Funnily enough I don't remember any of these sorts of problems with Team Fortress 2. Maybe it was just too long ago. (I do remember there being a button to reset stats that didn't work, but then they took that button away, so...)

My cheesemints at least were saved. Once I went in-game and played for a bit, they all reappeared on my community page. Stats are still borked though.

I do know Stalin Free's cheesemints disappeared in-game as well as on the community page, though. So it's possible they're lost forever for some people!!! ):
Red said:
Hopefully you'll see this RD, a friend of mine wants to join in our game tomorrow, and I messaged MickeyKnox if he wants to give it a go. So we might have our 4.
Without me. ;_;

Yeah, I gotta say Scavenge mode is a lot of fun. I played almost a full game at Dead Center before my PC crashed, but I really enjoyed it.

It's Versus Light.

Actually, for people who need practice at versus, I'd suggest scavenge. Closer quarters, lots of places to hide, and it's hard to get too far away from the survivors.

TheOneGuy said:
Gotta love Valve's inability to properly record stats and cheesemints.

Funnily enough I don't remember any of these sorts of problems with Team Fortress 2. Maybe it was just too long ago. (I do remember there being a button to reset stats that didn't work, but then they took that button away, so...)

My cheesemints at least were saved. Once I went in-game and played for a bit, they all reappeared on my community page. Stats are still borked though.

I do know Stalin Free's cheesemints disappeared in-game as well as on the community page, though. So it's possible they're lost forever for some people!!! ):

I think they're lost forever for most people.

I lost my achievements on Steam, but still had them in-game. But last night, I re-achieved an achievement I already had, so the system considers it gone even though my game reports I had it the whole time.

smh Valve. Seriously.

Twig

Banned
gregor7777 said:
think they're lost forever for most people.

I lost my achievements on Steam, but still had them in-game. But last night, I re-achieved an achievement I already had, so the system considers it gone even though my game reports I had it the whole time.

smh Valve. Seriously.
Aw that sucks.

Well, it's not like cheesemints are hard to get (unless you got Expert Realism in that short time period, in which case you're too hardcore for cheesemints anyway).

Top Bottom