• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

remz

Rez said:
aw, dude, that sucks. my favourite moment in gaming this year has been making my way through the storm, with the sound blaring and the effects maxed as I waded through the (corn? wheat?) field.
holy shit YES that scene was ABSOLUTELY FUCKING AWESOME.

My jaw dropped, shit WAS INTENSE. when the rain stars fucking pouring down and the you can't hear shit over the sound of the storm, amazing!

ps: we should play a couple rounds later

Sanjay

Red Scarlet said:
Finally beat a campaign on expert..Dead Center. Took a lot of tries, but when we finally did, we had the car gassed up before the first Tank appeared.

HOW DID YOU PASS MAP 3!

hmmm i think atm my rankings are:

1) Hard Rain (its just epic)
2) Dead Center (for me it fantastic all round i dont get the meh comments)
3) Dark Carnival (well done with an excellent finale)
4) The Parish (i actually think the finale is awesome and dread to think about expert on this)
5) Swamp Fever (just seems to favour the survivors in versus and perhaps feels a little bland)

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
So me, Volcynika, saelz, and ezekial tried out Hard Rain on expert realism last night. Holy crap, we couldn't even finish the second map.

d0c_zaius said:
7. Dont randomly run around scared from normal zombies! The only reason to change position is because you see new targets or get nabbed by a special infected. I generally use melee weapons and they do fine when I am surrounded and their doesnt seem to be a way out.
Perhaps you should add that this rule should only be applied during Normal / Advanced runs. Players often don't have the luxury of NOT running to a safer position on Expert as even a single zombie can inflict so much damage.

dragonlife29 said:
Yeah, everyone saying they want to play advanced/expert/realism has me :( I still have issues on normal [with other people]! On my own, though, I would say it's pretty easy...and I haven't actually bothered to crank up the difficulty...but it reminds of the Brawl launch where everyone wanted to play 1v1, no items, Final Destination.
Honestly, Advanced is perfectly manageable as long as there's someone in your group with a little general game experience and properly works together with the rest of the team. In theory you could get used to the difficulty like that.

ElyrionX

Finally got in a game today. It was pretty good. I'm loving the weapon variety thus far. I picked up a katana early in the game and it was awesome and when I dropped it to test a magnum, the goddamn AI picked up my katana and kept it. Sonofabitch. That was the only katana I saw for the whole game. Are they supposed to be rare?

darkpaladinmfc said:
I'm hoping that Valve will incorporate some similar weather effects in Episode 3. A snowstorm perhaps.
Yeah, this was my thought too. Seems a shame to have all these awesome weather effects and not make use of them somehow while sending Freeman and Alyx to
find the Borealis
(is this even a spoiler anymore?).

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
heh, I'd say it isn't. If you haven't played the game, you wouldn't even know what it is.

Rez said:
aw, dude, that sucks. my favourite moment in gaming this year has been making my way through the storm, with the sound blaring and the effects maxed as I waded through the (corn? wheat?) field.

Yeah, when I first started playing this level my shaders were down so I had no idea it had started raining until I heard one of the survivors say something about how the rain is getting heavier. Had to turn my shaders up to high and the aa down I think. Frame rate went down a little bit but it was well worth it.

FYI, there aren't
two Tanks
during the second half of Swamp Fever's finale in Versus. What a letdown.

Furthermore: at one point it was impossible for the Special Infected to spawn during the crescendo event where the Survivors had to get on the boat in the first level (game claimed they escaped even though they were still waiting for it), and in a different round not a single zombie nor an actual wave had arrived to stop them. Oh, and both teams received full points for that level once even though neither had reached the saferoom and one team even died before they ran the same distance as their competitors.

Don't like Versus as it is, so 'quirks' like these aren't helping.

Rahk

Had a Benny Hill moment on the Dead Center finale in versus.

I was charger and missed a charge so I hid behind a billboard. Rochelle was coming for me so I started running around the board to avoid them, then they pulled out their cricket bat. Wish I had recorded it. You would see a charger running around in circles about 4 times away from Rochelle with a cricket bat in hand. Until my charge recharged at which point I charged her through some spit and into another survivor, dying soon after.

Vanpira

Sanjay said:
HOW DID YOU PASS MAP 3!

Here is map three of Dead Center from my head. Okay, your in the mall, just outside the safe room is a horde, kill as many as you can from inside and then head out. Move to the right making sure to watch out for SI, head up the stairs and U-turn, there will be a security gate. Just before the gate should be supplies of some kind. After the gate will be more SI, go down the stairs a strait past a small dip in the floor, a weapon of some kind should be in it. The hoard will come, you can stay here an fight them it's a small one. The table up ahead sometimes has an item. Go through the passage there will be more SI and up the stairs once again watch for SI. Once up the stairs go left and you will see a door leaning over at the end of the walkway, walk over it, make sure everyone goes at once because there is no going back. Supplies will be in the rooms and zombies too, so watch out. As always SI will be here too. After searching the rooms go to the one with the med box and weapon table. The room just past here has a set of windows, that, once you break will set off an alarm. Before you break the windows clear out the room, use melee weapons or a molly as to not break the window on accident. after it is clear, go up to the windows and look through, if you see SI try to have everyone shoot them at the same time you break the window. Run to the left and up the stairs, turn left, go down the walkway and into the room with the alarm and shut it off. You must stick together here, there will be more SI and if someone gets left behind it's hard to go back. The room with the alarm can have med kits so after you finish the hoard you can heal. After this it's just down the stairs, through the passage, up the stairs, across the walkway, into the safe room and your done. The last part can have a witch so be careful. There is also a tank in this map, it can be in three places, after the security gate, by the leaning door, or after the leaning door. If it's in the first two it's easy, you can just run around the gap shooting it. If it's past the door I always die. There is no where to run so I guess use melee weapons. I hope this helps.

I have played this place many times and every time, and mean every time the other players always quit(sometimes it's two right at the start and the other one quits because he does not want to play with bots or they all quit at the same time) when we get to the car part. It's like they fear it or something. So if any one wants to go through it I would like to see the car drive away for once.

kai3345

Banned
Zeke said:
so is anyone on 360 actually playing this? No one on my friends list is playing this most are playing MW2.
I'm playing it. But yeah, its a bummer, all my friends are waiting till christmas to get it.

The GAF versus game last night on Hard Rain was pretty cool. I liked being a pain in the ass as a smoker on the third map. I managed to get a straggler, so someone had to go back. And once the survivor was saved, I got another one and I kept repeating that. Didn't do alot of damage, but I sure managed to be a big annoyance :lol

Gotta love the AI sometimes. I played the Parish with one more human player on normal, was pretty easy, save for the finale. We all managed to get near the chopper, but the human player got incapped near the opening in the fence. So I went back and defended while the bots revived him. That worked, so we ran to the chopper and got in, cause the tank was close. So we were in the chopper and 1 bot. And the other one? Rochelle was still fighting the zombies outside and even let the tank get to her. I feared the tank would get in and kill us all. Thankfully the bot got to its senses and entered the chopper.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Zeke said:
so is anyone on 360 actually playing this? No one on my friends list is playing this most are playing MW2.

I've been playing it a lot this week, check out the meet up thread in the online section, I added some peeps and now most of the peeps on my friends list are playing this game, usually 10 or so at a time.

Amir0x

Banned
I'd be playing this a lot more if the official dedicated servers weren't complete shit, and local hosts weren't a crapshoot for me and my friends.

I've been playing it too but haven't really had too much time to commit to online style. Just chapters at a time.

Also, I'm waiting for the lag to get fixed. I think it's fucking MW2 also. Me and my friends have been having GTAIV connection problems and we never did.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Fix your fucking 360 servers Valve!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God damn this shit is unplayable. Gears of War 2 runs better. I want to play this, but you're making it too damn difficult.

Shake Appeal said:
Sadly, Hard Rain is sort of nerfed if you don't have a good PC, as some of the effects apparently can only be seen with everything maxed. And on 360, the rain just looks like a filter applied to everything rather than actual rain. And when the storm comes, it mainly just gets darker/kills the draw distance, rather than feeling like a storm. Sort of disappointing.
You wouldn't happen to have a video or some high res images of this would you?
If the PC version looks that much better than I may just pick up the PC version as well.

LunaticPuma said:
Fix your fucking 360 servers Valve!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God damn this shit is unplayable. Gears of War 2 runs better. I want to play this, but you're making it too damn difficult.
I'm beginning to regret picking up the 360 version mainly for this reason alone.

Jeff Stephen said:
You wouldn't happen to have a video or some high res images of this would you?
If the PC version looks that much better than I may just pick up the PC version as well.

I'm beginning to regret picking up the 360 version mainly for this reason alone.

The PC servers can be really bad, too.

Tim-E

Blue Geezer said:
hmmm i think atm my rankings are:

1) Hard Rain (its just epic)
2) Dead Center (for me it fantastic all round i dont get the meh comments)
3) Dark Carnival (well done with an excellent finale)
4) The Parish (i actually think the finale is awesome and dread to think about expert on this)
5) Swamp Fever (just seems to favour the survivors in versus and perhaps feels a little bland)

This is probably how I'd rank them.

feel

Shake Appeal said:
Sadly, Hard Rain is sort of nerfed if you don't have a good PC, as some of the effects apparently can only be seen with everything maxed. And on 360, the rain just looks like a filter applied to everything rather than actual rain. And when the storm comes, it mainly just gets darker/kills the draw distance, rather than feeling like a storm. Sort of disappointing.
Got pics of that part from the PC version on max? It must look out of this world, cause it already looked pretty fantastic on the 360 videos I saw before release.

1-D_FTW

Ogs said:
Yup, constantly find myself dumped into >150 ping servers, Valve pls fix.

Edit - Also, just checked, once again, achievements wiped........

Are you talking official servers? I've always had ping problems with those because I'm 3000+ miles from Seattle and that's where the VAST majority of their servers are. Every once in a while, I get their alternative location and it's a good ping.

If you don't want to use openserverbrowser, I'd suggest adding F7 to your groups. They have a TON of servers that pop up under groups and they're all fantastic pings (at least on the east coast.)

fallout

RocketDarkness said:
When I first started, I stayed on Normal for a bit, then moved up to Advanced and stayed there for a good long while. You'll get the hang of it eventually, so don't give up! Expert is a huge jump up from advanced.
Yeah, this is how I did L4D1. I never really enjoyed expert in L4D1, but I could still contribute. Unfortunately, we're now Week 2 into L4D2 and everyone is doing nothing but advanced and expert, and I find the game to be much harder. And it's not really the challenge factor that I find frustrating. I don't mind a challenge, but I feel completely useless playing this game and it's really not very entertaining when you're consistently bringing down the whole team.

OH MY FUCKING GOD YES

*pant*
Still...recovering...
*pant*
+11 health left...
*pant*
...everyone else....dead...
*pant*
*pant*
...just me and Klaus Gnomie...
....rescue....

Coin Return

Loose Slot
I've been hosting my own games on 360 with most players having green pings, but the dedicated server issue is ridiculous. Fix that shit.

I've been hosting my own games on 360 with most players having green pings, but the dedicated server issue is ridiculous. Fix that shit.

This. Local Versus games have been completely on point latency wise, but two minutes into levels it would restart back to the lobby.

If the campaign wasn't so goddamned perfect, I'd be mad. But we're still just playing them.

MNC said:
That's a video of They Hunger.
Ah, but you see, he was taking a jab at the 360's terrible graphics in claiming the video was actually Left 4 Dead 2, since it has similar locations as the campaign being discussed. As an added bit of humor, were you aware that video features a game called Half Life, which was made by the SAME company that made Left 4 Dead 2? They're known as Valve!

:lol

Top Bottom