• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

The leaderboards tab in Steam for L4D2 is just straight broken.

Valve, perhaps you could have timed these community upgrades a bit better? Maybe pre-L4D2 launch?

For as much as Valve gets it right, it's as if they have a team of monkeys working over there sometimes.

l4d2_leaderboards.jpg

Red Scarlet

Twig mentioned some program that lets him view demos from older builds in other games, like L4D1, but it hasn't been upgraded for 2 yet, so keep your dem files around in case it does.

Volcynika said:
Red Scarlet rage incoming.

I already completely converted Dead Center (first time playing any map) and Hard Rain (first time playing Realism), so I'm a-ok. Kinda don't really want to convert the other ones; they weren't as 'memorable'.

Twig

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
Twig mentioned some program that lets him view demos from older builds in other games, like L4D1, but it hasn't been upgraded for 2 yet, so keep your dem files around in case it does.
Yeah, I checked it out with an old demo I made in L4D1 but it didn't work. D:

http://code.google.com/p/coldemoplayer/

EDIT: I don't even know if it PLAYS demos at this point. It might just show you demo information, like players and stuff. But that would seem rather pointless...

syllogism

If you need one, i'll do expert though preferably expert realism. We got to map three of dead center on expert realism but then two had to go and due to that minor update happening while we were playing we couldn't get subs.

MNC

Red Scarlet said:

I already completely converted Dead Center (first time playing any map) and Hard Rain (first time playing Realism), so I'm a-ok. Kinda don't really want to convert the other ones; they weren't as 'memorable'.
That should be pretty neat, even though I'm not sure if this update killed demo's in the first place. Though Im pretty sure.

Also stop playin' with yo tits

Twig

Banned
MNC said:
That should be pretty neat, even though I'm not sure if this update killed demo's in the first place. Though Im pretty sure.

Also stop playin' with yo tits
Demos don't work anymore.

):

Helmholtz

Played the swamp campaign last night,
I think it's my favorite of the first three (I've only played those so far), with the mall being my least favorite. (seemed like a missed opportunity to me.)
The mud men are really creepy and awesome :lol

my stats were all wiped as well. but i ended up playing again and some stats came back out of nowhere. it shows i played 39 games now. (since i stopped playing ever since it showed 0). maybe it'll magically all appear if i start playing other mode and gain achievements? :lol

So I've gotten to the end of all five campaigns now (didn't beat Swamp Thang though. That finish was tough as shit.) The Hard Rain atmosphere was absolutely phenomenal. When the storm really kicks up, I mean holy shit.

I was a bit disappointed by the climax of The Parish. I'd read a bunch of impressions and expected it to be really something else, so when I just ran across the bridge and got the end and there's the helicopter I was a bit disappointed. We did lose Rochelle though (again! jeepers!) so I probably should have been focusing on the fight instead of booking across.

Anyway. I look forward to going through everything again.

And then again some more.

BenjaminBirdie said:
I was a bit disappointed by the climax of The Parish.

Me too. Whats with the finales in L4D1 and 2 being such disappointments? After the demo levels, The Parish is kinda dull. Same thing with the last level in L4D1, which is the worst campaign in the game.

kai3345

Banned
Have officially beaten all the campaigns
hooray, my avatar gets a medpack!
and I think I'm gonna have to rank 'em like this

1. Hard Rain- despite it really only being 2 maps, the weather effects and the changes on your way back make it seem like a completely different map. I played this one on Realism and it was crazy when people would get lost in the storm or the cornfield.

2. The parish - Lots of varied fighting spaces and the Car Lot optional crescendo event was amazing.

3.Dead Center- The first level and the Finale were probably my favorite in the whole game, but the two "meh" levels in between are what dropped this down.

4. Dark Carnival - The Tunnel of love was funny and creative, but it seems like they could have done a lot more with the locations (like a fun house for example would have been awesome)

5. Swamp Fever - Least favorite, While the open areas were nice, the fact that the water slowed you down just made the fact that the levels were more open more of an annoyance than a good thing. Finale was ok.

fistfulofmetal said:
Me too. Whats with the finales in L4D1 and 2 being such disappointments? After the demo levels, The Parish is kinda dull. Same thing with the last level in L4D1, which is the worst campaign in the game.

Whoa whoa, I was just disappointed with that one. Dark Carnival was absolutely amazing. Hard Rain was fun because of the rain. Swamp Thang obviously must be doing something right since I have yet to beat it. Dead Center was very well constructed what with the gas cans and whatnot. It was really just Parish that was a bit disappointing.

Oh! And I played a game of Scavenger. It really is ideal for Versus training. I was always such a suck-ass in Versus but Scavenger really puts you in tight quarters and tight time so you can get the hang of it and flex without really worrying. I can see myself finally getting into Versus in both games now, which I had never really done previously.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Oh! And I played a game of Scavenger. It really is ideal for Versus training. I was always such a suck-ass in Versus but Scavenger really puts you in tight quarters and tight time so you can get the hang of it and flex without really worrying. I can see myself finally getting into Versus in both games now, which I had never really done previously.

Versus is fucking awesome.

Probably the only thing that kept me going for so long on L4D1

I must be alone in loving The Parish finale. The first time we played it was on Advanced Realism, and it was just beautiful chaos, trying to work out where someone had been charged or jockeyed based on their vague instructions. Only two us made it across the bridge proper, and then I died staggering toward the chopper (I was greyed and limping; it was awesome), so one guy pulled us all out.

I just soloed that Bridge Over Trebled Slaughter achievement, too.

That said, my campaign ranking is:

5. Dead Center (wonderful opening level, fun finale, but the mall map is the worst in the game, and seriously underwhelming given the potential there).
4. Swamp Fever (beautifully spooky, but a certain lack of variety kills it; on the other hand, it has possibly my favourite finale, both in looks and execution).
3. Dark Carnival (the variety and hilarity of detail here puts the mall level to shame, and while the finale is fairly standard to play, it has the most flair of any L4D map, past or present).
2. The Parish (the purest L4D experience, I think, with its winding urban environments; the cemetery map is one of the best long haul levels in either game, and the game's closing finale is suitably demanding and enjoyable).
1. Hard Rain (some of the most inspired and atmospheric level design I have ever experienced, and probably the best use of weather effects in a videogame; that first run through, Realism-style, was the standout highlight of my gaming year; only the finale is somewhat disappointing).

Twig

Banned
Man I LOVE The Parish finale. It was the first one I played so I was kind of disappointed with the rest. O:

But all the finales in this game are great fun [in campaign]. Way better than the finales in L4D1. Not that I hated the finales in L4D1, but just in comparison they are now lacking.

eJawa

would probably like a hook in his jaw for that matter
I really want to play through Hard Rain, but it always crashes when loading the second part. I'm hoping an update fixes it soon. Anyways, my steam ID is eJawa if anyone wants to add me. I'm usually playing campaign on advanced. I'm planning on trying realism once I've made it through a couple more campaigns.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Whoa whoa, I was just disappointed with that one. Dark Carnival was absolutely amazing. Hard Rain was fun because of the rain. Swamp Thang obviously must be doing something right since I have yet to beat it. Dead Center was very well constructed what with the gas cans and whatnot. It was really just Parish that was a bit disappointing.

finale as in FINALE like the LAST ONE. Blood Harvest and The Parish.

1-D_FTW said:
I think I like this characters better than L4D. It's hard to beat Francis, but as a whole? I think I do.
Pfft. Coach > Francis, easily.

"boy, I'm covered in zombie brains and 20 other kinds of body parts I don't even know the name of. WE IMMUNE AS SHIT"
(not verbatim)

:lol

Blizzard

Banned
I notice the demo is still on the Steam store, as well as permanently stuck on my Steam list even if I uninstall it. I just installed it again to see if it could run, and there are apparently lots of people playing it.

So does this mean that people can't hack the full maps into a demo? That was the main reason people were claiming the L4D1 demo couldn't have been left up...

Boonoo

Blizzard said:
I notice the demo is still on the Steam store, as well as permanently stuck on my Steam list even if I uninstall it. I just installed it again to see if it could run, and there are apparently lots of people playing it.

So does this mean that people can't hack the full maps into a demo? That was the main reason people were claiming the L4D1 demo couldn't have been left up...

They may prevent that somehow. I wasn't able to load a l4d1 map into the demo.

Blizzard

Banned
Boonoo said:
They may prevent that somehow. I wasn't able to load a l4d1 map into the demo.
So I wonder if the excuses people were making last time in defense of Valve were true or not. :p I wonder if the demo will remain up for good instead of free/discount weekends this time around.

Revolutionary said:
Pfft. Coach > Francis, easily.

"boy, I'm covered in zombie brains and 20 other kinds of body parts I don't even know the name of. WE IMMUNE AS SHIT"
(not verbatim)

Holy SHIT now I need to play Parish as EVERYONE!

I finally spent some decent time with this and I really don't see myself getting it until Black Friday. I mean it's fun but it feels like too much of the same thing.

I also think I may get this for the PC as well, the XBL community is horrid and I've got some buddies on Steam.

Square Triangle said:
I finally spent some decent time with this and I really don't see myself getting it until Black Friday. I mean it's fun but it feels like too much of the same thing.

I also think I may get this for the PC as well, the XBL community is horrid and I've got some buddies on Steam.

First, definitely get it on PC. No question.

Second, have you played through Hard Rain?

Really considering doing either that trade in deal at GameStop, or just using my $20 gift card at TRU to pick this up. Modern Warfare 2 is causing me lots of frustration. Just need to get my friends in on the L4D2 action to force me to make the jump.

gregor7777 said:
First, definitely get it on PC. No question.

Second, have you played through Hard Rain?
If that's the one with the sugar mill? Then yes like a section or two of it. The charger that comes barreling down the road near the gas station scared the shit out of me lol

Top Bottom