• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
vertopci said:
The hell are you even talking about? If both teams make it to the end, the one with more damage on teh infected side get 25 more points. Incaps don't have shit to do with it.

I didn't play versus today to remember the exact amount but I do know you get some score multiplied by the amount of incaps caused.

vertopci

Papercuts said:
I didn't play versus today to remember the exact amount but I do know you get some score multiplied by the amount of incaps caused.

No you don't. Not sure why you are even arguing with me when you don't even know how the system works.

Rahk said:
No, I haven't really been following the thread. I'm willing to change my mind if there are examples of the scoring system giving teams wins they shouldn't. I just haven't personally had that experience.

Go back one page, I outline a win I had that I shouldn't have had.

Rahk

Papercuts said:
I'm pretty sure it's just 25 points to the team that does the most damage.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Rahk said:
I'm pretty sure it's just 25 points to the team that does the most damage.

I could swear it did 10 x incaps now that I think about it, unless the PC and 360 score differently for some reason. I'll have to recheck tomorrow and post about it.

vertopci

Papercuts said:
I could swear it did 10 x incaps now that I think about it, unless the PC and 360 score differently for some reason. I'll have to recheck tomorrow and post about it.

No it's not. That's a dumb as shit idea and if you think about it for a bit, you'll realize WHY valve didn't go with it.

Rahk

vertopci said:
Go back one page, I outline a win I had that I shouldn't have had.
Guess I missed your edit. Hmm, fair enough. I suppose the current system is fine for separate maps, but when you combine them there's a problem. I'm not sure having health bonuses is the answer though. I suppose it would more likely give the win to the team that deserves it though.

vertopci

Rahk said:
Guess I missed your edit. Hmm, fair enough. I suppose the current system is fine for separate maps, but when you combine them there's a problem. I'm not sure having health bonuses is the answer though. I suppose it would more likely give the win to the team that deserves it though.

I've had 4 or 5 games I've won like that

Makes me rage more than just losing the game :/

Jonsoncao

Banned
IGN AU Ratings for Left 4 Dead 2 (X360)

4.0 Presentation
The presentation is completely compromised by the glitchy-looking edits. Kiss atmosphere goodbye.
4.0 Graphics
The graphics are completely compromised by the glitchy-looking edits. Nothing has weight or impact.
8.5 Sound
Your buddies have more personality this time around and the sound design is good.
5.0 Gameplay
There's still fun to be had, but in its edited form this is a massive step backwards from the original.
6.0 Lasting Appeal
If you can get over how compromised the atmosphere and gameplay are, there's plenty to keep you playing co-op and adversarial online.

Meh OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

:lol :lol :lol WAT?

Concept17

Gotta agree with most of you that the new scoring system sucks. At first I thought we were just getting a slightly more detailed version of the old one, and then realized it only matters how far you make it.

They need to redo the system so its in between both games. The first game, more often than not, there was just too big of points differential after the 3rd or 4th rounds, making finale's almost pointless most the time. In this game you can rape the shit out of the other team, and yet they can still score max points.

vertopci said:
No it's not. That's a dumb as shit idea and if you think about it for a bit, you'll realize WHY valve didn't go with it.
Why you all up on Papercut's state-of-the-art grill, yo? Don't make me pull out mah George Foreman and collect yo drippings in the innovative and easy-to-use drip tray!

I do see what he's trying to say, though: I recall seeing 25 x 10 but I have no idea what it is since I can't read the text on my SDTV for the scoring. Fill me in.

I finally beat the first campaign in single player. I swear to God, the AI sucks. I was trying to run out the store with the cola, after taking an adrenaline shot, when Rochelle gives me pills and causes me to drop the cola. =/ Not to mention the times when they get IN FRONT of me when I shoot. It's not like I'm running and gunning. I'm crouching still, and they get in my way.

SMH.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Jonsoncao said:
:lol :lol :lol WAT?

'Our' version is completed edited and looks rubbish.

And by ours I mean other countrymen who didn't get a US Gift copy like I did.

Letters said:
Got pics of that part from the PC version on max? It must look out of this world, cause it already looked pretty fantastic on the 360 videos I saw before release.
The main thing I noticed on PC is that it does this billowing cloud effect of water being swept by wind. This doesn't appear on 360, so you don't get a sense of the storm gusting around you. It just rains more heavily/gets darker.

Red Scarlet

Tremis said:
as far as i knew, we were waiting, and a charger was getting ready to fix the problem. although, someone on your team was firing at him while he was behind the pillar. then, the spitter on our team, who didn't know what was happening attacked. at any rate, I didn't hear any complaints about evening up afterwards and may have missed them. so we kept playing.

anyway, we had like 3 separate people drop out of the game in the first 2 maps, which sucked and no one stopped for us.

I asked every single time, and your team said no, and I invited about 20 people while being survivor anyway.

Charger would have killed the guy being Rochelle, but I'm not sure who was shooting at him. We were busy being boomed and spat on after already stating what the problem was.

I'm just going to wait until that issue is fixed, left a really sour taste in my mouth.

Red Scarlet said:
I asked every single time, and your team said no, and I invited about 20 people while being survivor anyway.

Charger would have killed the guy being Rochelle, but I'm not sure who was shooting at him. We were busy being boomed and spat on after already stating what the problem was.

I'm just going to wait until that issue is fixed, left a really sour taste in my mouth.

I had the charger issue happen to me tonight, where I got stuck in the ground. Such an infuriating bug. But luckily I got hunter pounced and released :D

Red Scarlet

The main thing that was annoying was we were up the escalator, fallen couldn't move, went from about 80HP to dead while standing still, and the guy that to me, is kind of a dick player, is all OH I HAD NO IDEA...who really stands alone for 2+ minutes and isn't lagged out or stuck?

drkOne

Charger bug really sucks, got stuck on the last GAF game, Infected helped unstucking but then got spit on while I was still getting up, it really kills a game when it happens.

And yeah, scoring system sucks, 25 points bonus to untie teams is like nothing at all.
I think they based this point system around the idea it'd be almost impossible to arrive to the saferoom. But that's not exactly how it happens. It really needs some tweaking, add Health bonus and remove every random medkit would be a nice start I think.

And don't reward for incaps, Infected will stop going for kills and just focus on incaping over and over in the same place.

syllogism

While I think infected teams have more room for improvement (some maps will likely be really hard to complete once the infected teams figure out the good ambush or even instakill spots) , they really should double or triple the survival bonus and accordingly the tie breaker bonus.

natjjohn

On vs. scoring, a time incentive should really be added. If you get through the stage quicker, you should be rewarded for that.

Or, as someone pointed out, they could remove the excessive medkits and pills.

syllogism

natjjohn said:
On vs. scoring, a time incentive should really be added. If you get through the stage quicker, you should be rewarded for that.

Or, as someone pointed out, they could remove the excessive medkits and pills.
Haha hell no, that will just make speed running even more enticing. I'd rather have them search every corner as all it takes is one really well executed attack to paralyze and eventually incap the whole team. There shouldn't be any health kits however but that's never going to happen.

Tremis

This man does his research.
Red Scarlet said:

Well, thanks for filling them in for us. It pissed me off when crushed dropped. AI is so stupid.

I agree, it is quite the pain in the ass. Is it only the charge that causes it?

MANGOD

Banned
My ass as been getting kicked on the second campaign at the roller coaster part! Last time I got totally nailed by a charger and actually laughed cause it was pretty funny watching me getting dragged halfway down the roller coaster. Still when I died and realised I had to start all over again I switched it OAF

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Red Scarlet said:
The main thing that was annoying was we were up the escalator, fallen couldn't move, went from about 80HP to dead while standing still, and the guy that to me, is kind of a dick player, is all OH I HAD NO IDEA...who really stands alone for 2+ minutes and isn't lagged out or stuck?
Was I bobbing up and down, or was it just me?

MNC

God Valve :lol :lol

"He's like a 5 year old with weapons and an extended vocabulary on cursing."

I wub you too Nick

vertopci

syllogism said:
Haha hell no, that will just make speed running even more enticing. I'd rather have them search every corner as all it takes is one really well executed attack to paralyze and eventually incap the whole team. There shouldn't be any health kits however but that's never going to happen.

Yea. Speed running is already fairly prevalent since it's hard to stop since spitter can't do anything about it. Boomer is made fairly useless as well with all the pipebombs and mollies around. Hell, Parish 1 takes a full 30 seconds to run thru. That's shorter than NM1 ffs

syllogism

vertopci said:
Yea. Speed running is already fairly prevalent since it's hard to stop since spitter can't do anything about it. Boomer is made fairly useless as well with all the pipebombs and mollies around. Hell, Parish 1 takes a full 30 seconds to run thru. That's shorter than NM1 ffs
At least most maps are harder and longer than l4d1 maps. Spitter can still do decent damage by timing the spit just right so someone gets pounced/smoked on the spit.

e: and to be fair, it's at least much easier to stop people (at least people who don't know what they are doing) on Parish 1 than it was on NM1

MNC said:
God Valve :lol :lol

"He's like a 5 year old with weapons and an extended vocabulary on cursing."

I wub you too Nick

"You ever start to feel like babysitters?"

I swear, his reaction to the Kiddie part of the part, holy shit man.

Blizzard

Banned
RocketDarkness said:
And yet they made it right outside the safe room?
Yeah, as much as I hate to agree with the Twiglet, vert, it sounds like if you want more points you should just kill them at 30% instead of at 99%. :p LEARN 2 PLAY

Alternatively, help make Frusmod 5.0, to take out medkits. Are defibrillator thingies even in versus mode?

Rubashov

I haven't become a fan of the Boomer Bile on a Tank technique that everyone seems to be taken with.

In most cases, the director gives you a break in the zombie action whenever you're engaged with a tank. Throwing a boomer bile seems to spawn a decent number of zombies on top of attracting some in the vicinity (like a real boomer). So if you're in a 1-on-1 situation with a tank, why bother throwing a bile? If the only zombies the bile attracts are the ones that are spawned as soon as it's thrown, then they barely have time to get to the tank before it wears off. And now you've still got a beefed tank with a bunch of zombies you've invited to the party, and they're looking for a new target.

There have only been a few times where i've even seen enough zombies attacking the tank to make it seem worthwhile. It's nice to have them impede his movements, but you usually end up killing the zombies with collateral damage anyway. It's a nice idea in theory, and somewhat amusing at times, but does anyone think it's viable?

Blizzard

Banned
add Health bonus and remove every random medkit would be a nice start I think.
Did you not play Frusmod? That's what we keep joking about. They'll probably adjust the scoring and take out the medkits.

I don't get the desire for a huge survival bonus though. Seems like to me that the issue is with medkits (despite powerful infected now), and with random items, and the larger bonus for the finale, if that's what vert was complaining about last page with the win he shouldn't have had. So, if you just award everyone percentage points for how far they make it, and don't keep increasing the multiplier so much for each map, then there you go. Otherwise you end up like the old CEVO config or whatever, where if one team survives NM1 with four kits and other makes it 90% with four kits, you have like an 800-1000 point lead the entire game, barring something dumb.

Rubashov said:
I haven't become a fan of the Boomer Bile on a Tank technique that everyone seems to be taken with.
?

Boomer Bile on tank???

pshhhhhhhhhhhhh

Have at least 1 person in the group grab the first chainsaw yall come across. Have them NOT use the chainsaw for anything but witches and tanks.

Chainsaw rips tanks to pieces as well as witches.

I always just run straight up to the witches and let the chainsaw do the work....

These stat resets are getting really annoying. I love seeing my total zombie kills, now when I look at them in a couple of months I will know that it really should be higher.

Twig

Banned
darkpaladinmfc said:
These stat resets are getting really annoying. I love seeing my total zombie kills, now when I look at them in a couple of months I will know that it really should be higher.
Every single time they've been reset I got them back once I went in game and started playing. Exactly as they were before.

TheOneGuy said:
Every single time they've been reset I got them back once I went in game and started playing. Exactly as they were before.
I'll try in a sec. But on the other resets I recall getting random stats - like one game played, three finales completed which came up with 300% :lol .

Top Bottom