• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Wizman23 said:
Setting it to local host works fine. Played a 4 vs. 4 versus game yesterday and all 8 players were in green bars the entire game.

I haven't tried hosting myself yet. Usually my friends host. What's your connection speed?

drkOne

ThaiGrocer said:
I haven't had any issues with local achievements. Online stats/achievements keep on getting reset, which is not a major problem.
I got my first online reset today, local is still the same.
Played now for a bit and online achievs are still at zero, Games played: 124 (when I played like 10 at most), Finales survived: 0. Infected killed and playtime seems right. Weapon, Versus and Scavenge started counting from 0 again.

Twig

Banned
drkOne said:
Games played: 124 (when I played like 10 at most), Finales survived: 0.
I dunno about the rest (there's no denying it's all borked to hell), but the games played I think actually counts every time you start over on each map, not just every time you join a server or vote to "restart campaign". So if you die and start over, it increments the counter.

Odinson

MidnightRider said:
Best Buy black friday sale has it for like 34.99

I was gonna do that, but found it on dell.com for 39.99 with free shipping. Little extra is worth it if I can sleep in a little.

Wrekt

I had skipped Left 4 Dead so I went into L4D2 with a clean slate. I was dicking around in Scavenge mode the other day and hit a 19 damage pounce from the 3rd story of the mall atrium to the ground level. I thought I was hot shit and decided I would go to youtube and see what experienced hunters were doing. Holy shit. Wall jumping between 2 buildings until they were 40 stories up and then flying halfway across the map and landing directly on a survivor.

My ego is crushed.

syllogism

Wrekt said:
I had skipped Left 4 Dead so I went into L4D2 with a clean slate. I was dicking around in Scavenge mode the other day and hit a 19 damage pounce from the 3rd story of the mall atrium to the ground level. I thought I was hot shit and decided I would go to youtube and see what experienced hunters were doing. Holy shit. Wall jumping between 2 buildings until they were 40 stories up and then flying halfway across the map and landing directly on a survivor.

My ego is crushed.
They certainly look great, but no one actually does that stuff in real games and they probably captured quite a few failures until they got that right

They made an update that actually corrected many of the stutter problems i had previously, specially when the tank appeared. My HD5870 says thank you valve.

Cimarron

Was that Launch Day? I think I remember one to. But the dedicated servers are still shite. Come on Valve don't let us down! It would be a shame if shitty netcode puts a wet blanket on this games popularity.

Shoogoo

Why is the european cover so lame?

EU
960511_126092.jpg

US
960511_125432.jpg

I'm dying to know the reason.

Coverly

Is anybody effectively using the sniper rifle? There are just so many waves of zombies at all times that it becomes almost a lost cause at trying to pick them out.

syllogism

Coverly said:
Is anybody effectively using the sniper rifle? There are just so many waves of zombies at all times that it becomes almost a lost cause at trying to pick them out.
The military sniper is probably the best gun in the game, haven't used the hunting rifle much but it's pretty nice in coop at least

Twig

Banned
I just recently installed Windows 7.

Left 4 Dead 2 runs worse on Windows 7 than Windows Vista for me. I'd always heard 7 was better for gaming. So much for that.

And I mean significantly worse. \:

Coverly said:

Sniper rifle is amazing. You don't have to pick them out, just shoot them, it's a one-hit kill on most difficulty. And since the bullets penetrate, you'll take out more than one with each hit.

syllogism

TheOneGuy said:
I just recently installed Windows 7.

Left 4 Dead 2 runs worse on Windows 7 than Windows Vista for me. I'd always heard 7 was better for gaming. So much for that.

And I mean significantly worse. \:
Runs really well here, sounds like a very specific driver issue

Twig

Banned
syllogism said:
Runs really well here, sounds like a very specific driver issue
Maybe. I've got an 8800GTS and the latest driver installed. There hasn't been a driver update since I installed 7, so it's the same version.

The biggest difference is I'm running 64-bit 7 and was running 32-bit Vista. (Same hardware, I just didn't have 64-bit Vista available.)

BenjaminBirdie said:
The US version means GO FUCK YOURSELF in UK-talk.

No, seriously.
Amusingly, they forgot to flip it for the manual. So you get the game, thinking "oh that's nice, V for Victory", open the box and it tells you to fuck right off.

syllogism

TheOneGuy said:
Maybe. I've got an 8800GTS and the latest driver installed. There hasn't been a driver update since I installed 7, so it's the same version.

The biggest difference is I'm running 64-bit 7 and was running 32-bit Vista. (Same hardware, I just didn't have 64-bit Vista available.)
Actually I've an 8800GTS (640mb) as well and 64-bit 7. I don't think I've the latest drivers, seems to be 191.07.

hantak

TheOneGuy said:

I'm running Win 7 64-bit on a Core 2 Quad Q6600 with 4GB RAM and a NVIDIA GTX 275.

L4D2 runs great, no problems on my system.

Twig

Banned
hantak said:
I'm running Win 7 64-bit on a Core 2 Quad Q6600 with 4GB RAM and a NVIDIA GTX 275.

L4D2 runs great, no problems on my system.
Replace the video card and that's my system exactly. ):

It just gets really choppy if I have it at the "recommended" settings, whereas before I could run it at max settings (which is above the "recommended") and have a steady locked 60fps. It never dipped.

EDIT: That's weird. I should have four sticks of 1GB RAM in my computer but my system info says I only have 3GB...

EDIT THE SECOND: According to NVIDIA's website, 191.07 is the latest, syll. For our card, anyway. It's what I've got installed, too.

Fireye

The biggest improvement in performance I got over the default settings was turning down the AA (8800gt @ 1920x1080). You might try that first.

TheOneGuy said:
Replace the video card and that's my system exactly. ):

EDIT: That's weird. I should have four sticks of 1GB RAM in my computer but my system info says I only have 3GB...
This happens if you have a 32bit OS.

Twig

Banned
darkpaladinmfc said:
This happens if you have a 32bit OS.
I'm aware.

However this is a 64-bit OS, as I stated.

Fireye: I know, that, too. That was the first thing I changed. I had to actually lower the resolution a couple notches, too, before it stopped being so choppy.

I mean I know that I can lower the settings to fix shit but the problem is I shouldn't have to. It worked perfectly before I installed this new OS. D:

EDIT: lol apparently I'm currently using 48% of my physical memory and all I've got open is Steam, Impulse, Pidgin, Xchat, WMP, a couple Chrome tabs, and a couple Word docs.

Fireye

If you run firefox, I notice that sometimes it hogs a lot of memory and kills my framerate in CS:S/L4D/L4D2 (even though I'm running a Q9550). You might try killing firefox and see if that helps?

Twig

Banned
Fireye said:
If you run firefox, I notice that sometimes it hogs a lot of memory and kills my framerate in CS:S/L4D/L4D2 (even though I'm running a Q9550). You might try killing firefox and see if that helps?
Yeah I don't use Firefox ATM hah.

But as you can see
EDIT: lol apparently I'm currently using 48% of my physical memory and all I've got open is Steam, Impulse, Pidgin, Xchat, WMP, a couple Chrome tabs, and a couple Word docs.
something's fucked up.

TheOneGuy said:
Yeah I don't use Firefox ATM hah.

But as you can see

something's fucked up.

close everything you can and see what your memory % is also do a reboot and notice what it is then. load up those apps one at a time and see if anything unusual happens.

BerserkerBarage

Neo Member
Sorry if I'm LTTP on this one. Has anyone else tried split-screen Survival on the 360 and noticed tremendous fps-chugging? I mean, it was very noticeable for a local game. Maybe it was just the few times I tried it, but it made aiming an extreme chore.

Anyone have a favorite campaign yet? I'm leaning towards Dark Carnival because of Gnomey. :lol

~B.B.

Saiyu

Such a shame, I'd be playing this a lot more if the connection wasn't shite (local game server and dedicated).

Brainboy

JonathanEx said:
Amusingly, they forgot to flip it for the manual. So you get the game, thinking "oh that's nice, V for Victory", open the box and it tells you to fuck right off.

Seriously? That seems like a pretty major oversight. I would expect the ESRB or whatever to have a word with them...

Twig

Banned
Blue Geezer said:
close everything you can and see what your memory % is also do a reboot and notice what it is then. load up those apps one at a time and see if anything unusual happens.
It was about 25% at bootup and is now back up to 40% with everything open. I guess Win7 just has a bigger footprint than I'd guessed. The biggest jumped was Steam, which accounted for about 5%. Not unsurprising.

Nonetheless: ):

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Has anyone on the 360 managed to beat a campaign on expert or on expert w/realism? Just curious. I played w/3 others on expert and couldn't get past the first stage of Dark Carnival. :lol

Raydeen

How is everyone finding the Bridge finale in The Parish.

Got my arse chewed off by guys (randoms) I was playing with yesterday. After about 10 failed attempts we all decided that if someone gets left too far behind, then you gotta push on as going back and recovering them was suicide on Expert. So we tried a few more games and I got lucky with two pipes I used as a decoy and behold I made it to the chopper - everyone was furious when I jumped aboard. Fair? or Foul? The nearest guy was about 20% back, I was on literally zero health where one more hit would mean being downed. After all they are randoms and the Expert achivement was one chopper leap away. :lol

Autofokus

Any benchmarks for the pc-version out? I´m planning to buy this next month and would like to know what kind of performance I can expect with my rig.

Chinner

Banned
Autofokus said:
Any benchmarks for the pc-version out? I´m planning to buy this next month and would like to know what kind of performance I can expect with my rig.
what performance do you get from l4d1?

Top Bottom