• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

Fireye

Sounds like Valve has a fix for the achievement bugs:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1038480
Phil says "It actually still hasn't gone out yet. The rack operator for the week felt that there were too many issues going on with the Steam backend to apply the fix mid-week. The new operator is preparing to do the weekly update today."

So apparently it won't be updated until sometime today. That's the latest I've heard.

Though, here-say (hearsay?) until a Valve employee posts it, instead of being copy/pasta'ed from a PM.

Autofokus

Chinner said:
what performance do you get from l4d1?
Constant 60fps using Vsync/Triple Buffering. But with all the new effects L4D2 gathers, I assume this is a no-go. I don´t need 60fps, all I want is a stable framerate which doesn´t dip under 30fps. My native res is 1920x1080, so this is a problem too - everything upscaled looks like shit on my TFT.

Blizzard

Banned
Twig, on my 4GB 64-bit system, Windows 7 RC by itself probably runs near 1GB at least on bootup, with the antivirus running. Once I open Steam (minimizing it to the system tray might save some memory), volume control, pidgin with like 6 IM accounts, IE8 with a couple of tabs, Firefox with like 11 windows and 200+ tabs total, and maybe an instance of Visual Studio, it goes up to maybe 50-60% memory used, with enough left to play a game like L4D or TF2 or maybe Mirror's Edge. So you should be okay.

I have an ATI 4850 512MB card though. Javaman had horrible performance with TF2 once he upgraded to Windows 7, so he went back to XP...maybe you're having some sort of similar issue.

Nabs

Autofokus said:
Any benchmarks for the pc-version out? I´m planning to buy this next month and would like to know what kind of performance I can expect with my rig.

download the demo

Twig

Banned
Blizzard said:
Twig, on my 4GB 64-bit system, Windows 7 RC by itself probably runs near 1GB at least on bootup, with the antivirus running. Once I open Steam (minimizing it to the system tray might save some memory), volume control, pidgin with like 6 IM accounts, IE8 with a couple of tabs, Firefox with like 11 windows and 200+ tabs total, and maybe an instance of Visual Studio, it goes up to maybe 50-60% memory used, with enough left to play a game like L4D or TF2 or maybe Mirror's Edge. So you should be okay.
Yeah I just didn't realize how big a footprint 7 had, I guess. Vista was probably similar, but I never really paid attention because I never had issues.
I have an ATI 4850 512MB card though. Javaman had horrible performance with TF2 once he upgraded to Windows 7, so he went back to XP...maybe you're having some sort of similar issue.
I dunno I've been playing on Vista of all things for over a year now without incident and L4D2 ran perfect, like I said.

The only significant difference is the 64-bit vs. 32-bit thing. But I didn't think that would cause any problems. S:

MNC

On my old PC, L4D2 gives me better performance.
I can play 1024x768 (native res, told you it was old :p) on L4D2, med-high, low-med 800x600 with l4d1.

L4D1: 20-30fps
L4D2: 20-50fps

P4 HT 2.6Ghz (planning on OCing)
7600GT
1,5GB ram

Remy

Was playing through Dark Carnival again with a friend who got hit by the achievement bug. When we had played it right after release, someone chucked the gnome while the safe room door was closing, and he was left for dead.

So during the game today, acting as gnome carrier, I put him down so that I could hack up a few common infected in a stairwell. After they were all dead, I looked around - couldn't find the gnome.

Oh, wait.

left4dead2%202009-11-23%2012-46-23-59.png

HOW DOES THE GNOME FALL UNDER THE STAIRS. HONESTLY.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Maybe you could have exploded him out of there with that nade launcher.
That sucks, though, I still haven't attempted to move the Gnome.

Snuggler said:

You'll think that the worst part will be the roller coaster and then you make it past that, relieved, and then you'll get to the maze to the safe house before the finale and, man, you will wish you were back on that goddamned rollie coaster.

Oh, my word.

Snuggler said:

we had the gnome with us all the way to the last saferoom (right before the concert)

3 of us were dead. 1 was alive.

Dude walks into the saferoom with the gnome. throws it on the ground to heal. turns around and walks over to the doors and shuts it.

BAM.

no more gnome.

Red Scarlet

I think everyone's that posted about the gnome has tossed it into that stairway, I know I did. Just get everyone incapped and start the level over with the gnome again.

d0c_zaius

Achievements are still weird.

Was playing last night, trying to finish Dark Carnival , when the difficulty kept getting switched on its own. We were trying to beat it on Easy (yes I know, I just wanted to finish :lol ), and sometimes the game would just set it self to advanced. We eventually beat it.

Just checking my stats now, and it shows last game played as Dark Carnival - advanced - escaped:lol .

Twig

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
I think everyone's that posted about the gnome has tossed it into that stairway, I know I did. Just get everyone incapped and start the level over with the gnome again.
When I did it, I ran past the carousel to turn it off and when I dropped the gnome it went THROUGH the fence to the inside of the carousel.

But I had a grenade launcher. So I kept shooting grenades behind it until it rolled back to me.

:smug:
MidnightRider said:
we had the gnome with us all the way to the last saferoom (right before the concert)

3 of us were dead. 1 was alive.

Dude walks into the saferoom with the gnome. throws it on the ground to heal. turns around and walks over to the doors and shuts it.

BAM.

no more gnome.
Dropping it on the floor of the saferoom shouldn't be a problem, unless it rolled outside... I dropped it on the floor multiple times before the door closed.

Alex

When its all said and done, I love the new survivors, so much more. rochelle is too bland, but fucking Ellis alone makes up for two. The stories had me in tears.

Red Scarlet

I decided to listen to Rochelle and Coach's sound folders last night, and Rochelle has some pretty funny lines, so I like her more. But I did see at l4dnao that they're already working on/finishing a mod to have Zoey in instead.

Alex

Friend of mine has Coach's "if a zombie comes running at me with a sample tray I ain't shootin it" l as one of his macros. So great.

ArjanN

If you really want the gnome achievement you can always just get it in single-player on easy difficulty. Piece of cake then really.

Blizzard

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
I decided to listen to Rochelle and Coach's sound folders last night, and Rochelle has some pretty funny lines, so I like her more. But I did see at l4dnao that they're already working on/finishing a mod to have Zoey in instead.
What we need is Bill, Louis, Zoey, and Rochelle. Or Coach, Louis, Rochelle, and Zoey. More minorities, less rednecks!

I grew up in GA, I ain't biased!

According to my Steam records, I have now played -11 games and survived 7 finales with a 0% survival percentage.

So, yeah.

Also, the gnome and that godawful horde at the end of the fourth chapter makes for a incredibly frustrating combination. I want to try for the achievement one more time with people I can actually rely upon, but nobody's usually on. :(

Brainboy said:
Seriously? That seems like a pretty major oversight. I would expect the ESRB or whatever to have a word with them...
Box is visible to all on a shop shelf. Manual is visible to adult who has legally purchased game.

A Steam update is now available. No action is required to obtain this update.

Steam

* Updated Steam back-end to address Left 4 Dead 2 achievement issues. Any achievements previously earned that do not appear in your list will be restored this week

Red Scarlet

InsaneZero said:
According to my Steam records, I have now played -11 games and survived 7 finales with a 0% survival percentage.

So, yeah.

Also, the gnome and that godawful horde at the end of the fourth chapter makes for a incredibly frustrating combination. I want to try for the achievement one more time with people I can actually rely upon, but nobody's usually on. :(

Gimme a hollar, I'll help you get it. I carried it the whole time (except for getting on the escape vehicle).

http://steamcommunity.com/id/bulleta

fistfulofmetal said:

High five.

Rahk

Raydeen said:
How is everyone finding the Bridge finale in The Parish.

Got my arse chewed off by guys (randoms) I was playing with yesterday. After about 10 failed attempts we all decided that if someone gets left too far behind, then you gotta push on as going back and recovering them was suicide on Expert. So we tried a few more games and I got lucky with two pipes I used as a decoy and behold I made it to the chopper - everyone was furious when I jumped aboard. Fair? or Foul? The nearest guy was about 20% back, I was on literally zero health where one more hit would mean being downed. After all they are randoms and the Expert achivement was one chopper leap away. :lol
If one person makes it to the end, doesn't everyone get the achievement? I don't see the problem. I would have done the same.

Blizzard said:
I started reading this and thought you were riffing on how people keep so much shit open when they try to run games and then wonder why performance is so low. But then I realised you were serious. :lol

Alex

My Win 7 bootup is like 950 megs with my Razer app, my 3 Logitech G15 LCD apps and macros app, MSN, FRAPS and RivaTuner.

When I open Steam and am in the middle of L4D2, my system is using 2000-2200 total.

It's pretty tame on ram. Prior to the update though it was taking a chomp out of my CPU/GPU though. Getting a bit aged with an E8400 and an 8800 GTX, but post update its yet to dip below 60.

1-D_FTW

Red Scarlet said:

I'm not sure I should be ashamed or not, but I've found a lot of her corny lines to be funny. I think she oozes charm.

1-D_FTW said:
I'm not sure I should be ashamed or not, but I've found a lot of her corny lines to be funny. I think she oozes charm.

I like that as a female news reporter, of course her favorite movie is Anchorman. She rules.

Red Scarlet

Yeah all my achieves are back, but the other stats are still way screwed.

Versus games won and lost: 80% won (12 games)20% lost (3 games)

(I've played 1 game, and we lost).

Slavik81

Achievements are recoverable? Huzzah!

Brainboy said:
Seriously? That seems like a pretty major oversight. I would expect the ESRB or whatever to have a word with them...
That seems unlikely, as it's an entirely benign gesture in the territories that the ESRB operates. Hell, it's on the front of the box.

Top Bottom