• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

Talamius

NIGHT- said:
\

so basically you have no real answer... Like I said the console version is superior for me with split screen :D

Split screen for PC guide

You can use a 360 or PS3 controller. If you were feeling REALLY adventurous, you could spend the time to map out a config for Wiimote controls.

As for the comment about hauling your PC back and forth, who does that? Just setup a HTPC with a wireless kb/mouse and hauling your rig is no longer an issue :D

Edit: snarkiness removal :)

vertopci

NIGHT- said:
How? btw who the fuck drags there computer from there computer room to there tv back and forth?

Are you retarded? Anyone who doesn't have their computer in the same room just uses a longer VGA/DVI/audio cable and wireless mouse/kb. But I guess such a simple solution like this requires too much thinking for some people

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
NIGHT- said:
How? btw who the fuck drags there computer from there computer room to there tv back and forth?

...sigh.

198kyb.gif

NIGHT- said:
I find that people who are intelligent enough to understand that people may not have their computer in a separate room or have multiple computers or have a laptop are also intelligent enough to use the correct their/there/they're for the situation.

The "comfy couch" argument is also hilarious considering that L4D1 and L4D2 both have complete, built-in support for the Xbox 360 controller on PC. You really do get the best version of the game played with the shittier controller just because you have to have it that way.

Talamius said:
Split screen for PC guide

You can use a 360 or PS3 controller. If you were feeling REALLY adventurous, you could spend the time to map out a config for Wiimote controls.

As for the comment about hauling your PC back and forth, who does that? Just setup a HTPC with a wireless kb/mouse and hauling your rig is no longer an issue :D

Edit: snarkiness removal :)

The wiimote already works with l4d2???how does it behaves?does the weapon moves too like in most wiigames?i would like to test it. Anyway played the last chapter and goddamn that bridge doesnt seem to end on expert.....:S

NIGHT- said:

Playing fps with dual analog will never make it the superior version when there's a pc version or heck even wii, if controls are done right.

vehn

PC version is always superior with the huge amount of free user made maps and mods that will come out, not to mention free DLC

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Bluemercury said:
Playing fps with dual analog will never make it the superior version when there's a pc version or heck even wii, if controls are done right.

PC will never be the superior version for controls now that there are Wii controls. Mouse is precise, but KB sucks ass for movement. Also, no one with a real gun is as accurate as someone with a mouse anyway. :lol

Free content on PC is obviously very nice to have.

LunaticPuma said:
PC will never be the superior version for controls now that there are Wii controls. Mouse is precise, but KB sucks ass for movement. Also, no one with a real gun is as accurate as someone with a mouse anyway. :lol
Wait, what? This is directed to everything stated here. Because the PC version can be made to use the Wii Remote, it's not superior? Keyboard "sucks ass"? PC is too accurate?

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Tim-E

LunaticPuma said:
And exposing himself as a PC nutjob must make lots of money too?

Like the good version of Left 4 Dead 2 doesn't make you a nutjob. It means you don't have low standards.

I actually understand the "PC is too accurate" argument (though I don't agree with it), which is a weird generation gap thing that has only come up recently with kids that haven't grown up on Doom and Quake. Using the mouse can be a bit ridiculous when your character is able to aim and shoot any possible location with a wrist flick. It loses that game-y quality where you feel you should be restricted to the game mechanics in some way because you shouldn't be able to just shoot anything anywhere at any time. Kids these days like using the analog sticks and feeling like they're working to earn their kills and accuracy.

ElyrionX

NIGHT- said:

THEIR
THEIR
THEIR
THEIR
THEIR
THEIR
THEIR
THEIR
THEIR
THEIR
THEIR
THEIR
THEIR
THEIR
THEIR
THEIR
THEIR
THEIR

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Tim-E said:
Because the winner is clear, we know.
I guess. sure, logically the PC version is better. Its a valve game, any gamer should know this. However, the console version isn't fucking busted or anything... thus, yawnfest.
I must be getting too old for the internet.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
RocketDarkness said:
Wait, what? This is directed to everything stated here. Because the PC version can be made to use the Wii Remote, it's not superior? Keyboard "sucks ass"? PC is too accurate?

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

You're right that being able to use the Wii on the PC makes it superior. However, I will always, always, always believe that the keyboard is significantly worse for movement controls than an analog stick. My PC being too accurate claim is more or less about immersion. As Liu stated better than I could, being able to aim at anything, anywhere with a flick of the wrist can lose some of the arcadey game feel (similar to how Guiter Hero on expert turned into hit as many buttons as fast as possible instead of playing music IMHO).

On a L4D2 related note, does anyone know if people can join a game in progress through the Local Hosting option? Is there a way to search for local host only games?

LunaticPuma said:
You're right that being able to use the Wii on the PC makes it superior. However, I will always, always, always believe that the keyboard is significantly worse for movement controls than an analog stick. My PC being too accurate claim is more or less about immersion. As Liu stated better than I could, being able to aim at anything, anywhere with a flick of the wrist can lose some of the arcadey game feel (similar to how Guiter Hero on expert turned into hit as many buttons as fast as possible instead of playing music IMHO).
You still need the actual skill and muscle memory to aim that quickly. As for the keyboard, you have three fingers that can be dedicated to movement as opposed to one thumb. It's a bit more awkward at first, yes, but so was the analog stick the first time I played the Nintendo 64, and we all seem to have adapted to that, hmm? The fact it, I can alter my course more quickly on PC than analog stick, and more accurately.

Slavik81

LunaticPuma said:
You can go play the game with an Xbox controller if you want. It's right in the options menu.
Or, you can play with the Wiimote, though you'll need to install some third-party software.

The PC has all of those things.

I do like some of the implementations of wiimote in some fps games. Anyway can we talk about L4D2, did anyone finished the freaking bridge on expert???the last try i think i could see the possible exit, but not sure.

LunaticPuma said:

On a L4D2 related note, does anyone know if people can join a game in progress through the Local Hosting option? Is there a way to search for local host only games?
you are mad.

for the guitar hero on expert bit and 'too accurate' nonsense.

yes you can aim about more accurately with a mouse than you can a real gun... but if you think that makes the game LESS arcadey, you are very very mad.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Charmicarmicat said:
Yep, the people who just enjoy what they enjoy and aren't sad enough to get riled up and try to defend A MACHINE.

Amen. If you have the game on PC, enjoy it. If you have the game on 360, enjoy it.

Not sure why everything seems to come down to a penis waving contest.

dskillzhtown said:
Amen. If you have the game on PC, enjoy it. If you have the game on 360, enjoy it.

I have it on both and would happily wave my penis at either. Love ya, Valve!

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
dskillzhtown said:

well sure.

I have both a PC and xbox and got it on PC this time around (Had L4D1 on xbox)

Pretty impressed with the PC one. Have encountered the charger but yesterday which sucked, but did see a lot of complaint about lag on xbox for L4D2. Can't comment personally, but on PC it's been excellent.

As for control..... I dunno. Keyboard and mouse takes a bit to get used to if you're a controller gamer. It's fine for L4D though. For playing against each other, I prefer controller and everyone else being on a controller. Mainly because I lack the time to make my keyboard mouse combo some kind of uber controller with the science needed to understand binding shit all over the place and whatnot.

I like the xbox for levelling the playing field when shooting at other people.

Zzoram

catfish said:
well sure.

I have both a PC and xbox and got it on PC this time around (Had L4D1 on xbox)

Pretty impressed with the PC one. Have encountered the charger but yesterday which sucked, but did see a lot of complaint about lag on xbox for L4D2. Can't comment personally, but on PC it's been excellent.

As for control..... I dunno. Keyboard and mouse takes a bit to get used to if you're a controller gamer. It's fine for L4D though. For playing against each other, I prefer controller and everyone else being on a controller. Mainly because I lack the time to make my keyboard mouse combo some kind of uber controller with the science needed to understand binding shit all over the place and whatnot.

I like the xbox for levelling the playing field when shooting at other people.

Does L4D2 support gamepad? You might be able to use one for the normal co-op mode, but should definitely use m/kb for Versus.

Zzoram

Cimarron said:
Has Valve released any #'s on how much this puppy has sold?

Nope, but hopefully it's doing well. They sank a lot of money into advertising this game and they need to make it back so Episode 3 can have a ridiculous budget.

Fireye

Shake Appeal said:
Comprehensive List of Games I Have Bought on More Than One Platform:

The Orange Box
Portal
Left 4 Dead
Left 4 Dead 2

You Valve whore, you. If I had a bunch of friends who played L4D on 360, I'd doubledip too. Thankfully I have no friends!

PC will never be the superior version for controls now that there are Wii controls. Mouse is precise, but KB sucks ass for movement. Also, no one with a real gun is as accurate as someone with a mouse anyway.

IZ THIS JOKING?

Top Bottom