• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

MNC

I almost want this thread to get locked now but seeing as Scarlet plays L4D2 religiously I can't see this happen.

KIDDIELAND!

MOUSTACHIO!

Zzoram

MNC said:
I almost want this thread to get locked now but seeing as Scarlet plays L4D2 religiously I can't see this happen.

KIDDIELAND!

MOUSTACHIO!

With 600 recorded hours on L4D1 (and probably hundreds before it started recording), it's a safe bet that this thread will be active until L4D3 (which Valve said WON'T be next year).

Shake Appeal said:
Comprehensive List of Games I Have Bought on More Than One Platform:
I refuse to list the games I've done this with. It is way too long a list.

I didn't do it for L4D2 though, so lets just leave it there.

Cimarron

plagiarize said:
I refuse to list the games I've done this with. It is way too long a list.

I didn't do it for L4D2 though, so lets just leave it there.

I am actually thinking about doing this for L4D2. I have a mac book but I never installed bootcamp. I might just back up the old hardrive and set up a windows partition so that I play some of the mods I hear you folks keep talking about!

CloakedPuppet said:
Couple quick questions, guys. I just ordered this bad boy from amazon and will be getting it sometime next week (360 version). How noob friendly is it on XBL? Is it "douche-central"?

I rented the first one right around release and found it to be fine but after a year’s worth of practice for most folks, I'm a little concerned.

Amir0x said:
I can't believe the official dedicated servers are still complete garbage the third night into release.

Is Valve seriously fucking retarded?

Despite the stereotypes about XBL, it's no better or worse than any other online service - you got your fair share of douches and your fair share of perfectly fine people.

I'd recommend you at least play with one friend at all times, though, so that if you do get a douche, it would be easier to kick that person off with the combined help of your buddy.

I had a terrible XBL douche story though last night...

We were playing Motel Scavenger mode, and it was three of my buddies plus a random guy... I think his name was Hazy32. Well anyway, we invited him to our party chat and we're discussing the strategy. Nothing special, we just suggested splitting into two groups, going 2-by-2 to every location. That's fine.

So we're playing, and I forget why but we all split up at one point and he starts being all belligerent. "I thought we were playing a fucking TEAM GAME, fuck." I'm like "we just got separated, it's cool it's nothing serious. Just relax." "yeah I'll relax when people play-the-fuck as a GODDAMN TEAM."

What made this more bizarre is that we were winning. And not just winning, but slaughtering the other team. We were on our 14th gas canister at that point.

Finally, we get all 16 and I say "See man, me and my friends are good players. We just enjoy playing chill games, no need to get serious."

And he starts like "I won't get fucking serious if you knew how to play as a team."

Then I say "Ok, dude, no offense but we can't play with someone who is going to be rude like that."

So we vote kick him. He's still in the party chat, mind you, and when he sees he is getting kicked he turns into the fucking demon possessed child from the exorcist.

"SUCK MY FUCKING DICK."
"I AM GOING TO FIND YOUR FUCKING ADDRESS AND HUNT YOU DOWN, AND KILL YOU AND SLAUGHTER YOUR CHILDREN. FUCK YOU YOU FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT. YOU GOTTA KICK PEOPLE CAUSE YOU SUCK AT L4D2? YOU A REAL MAN? I'M GOING TO HUNT. YOU. DOWN. AND. EAT. YOUR. FACE. FUCK YOU."

This goes on for another five minutes, and we don't kick him out of the party because at this point we're dying from laughter. Then after he is done, we kick him and set the party to invite only.

Seriously.

conman said:
Seems to be quite a few new folks and rusty veterans. I've only run into a few annoying children, but most folks keep pretty quiet other than when communication is necessary. Usually if you set up (or join) an Advanced level game, you avoid the really obnoxious people altogether. I think most of the douches are currently too busy pissing people off in MW2. :D

But it's definitely a bigger challenge than the first game. Normal is very do-able, but Advanced is a real challenge (and I'd beaten all but one of the episodes in the first game on Expert).

Thanks for the responses guys...just getting back as my copy arrives today. Guess I'll get ready to deal with the bad and good sides of XBL tonight! :lol

Last night I took on one of the tanks in swamp fever finale with a chainsaw and beat it, easily. If I didn't already have tank burger (from an extremely lucky fight on Dead Center Finale), I would have gotten it then.

Probably the best weapon to try and get that achievement with (although I did it with a fireaxe so that's doable too).

Tenks

Does anyone have a link to the stats/attributes of the various melee weapons? I have no idea the difference between an axe/bat/pan/guitar or anything.

Zzoram

Tenks said:
Does anyone have a link to the stats/attributes of the various melee weapons? I have no idea the difference between an axe/bat/pan/guitar or anything.

I don't think there is a difference between any melee weapons other than the chainsaw.

syllogism

Tenks said:
I could link you some stats but they aren't very useful on their own as things such as the hit detection boxes/rays they use and arc are more important. It's pretty obvious which weapons are the best (katana/axe) so you don't really need to figure out the details.

Zzoram said:
I don't think there is a difference between any melee weapons other than the chainsaw.
I don't know, I found the frying pan to be much weaker than the Katana or Machete (naturally)... so I don't think that's true at all.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
gregor7777 said:
There must be. The Katana owns.

It's very minor. All weapons are similar but...

Katana has wider range, but guitar has more range. Machete and frying pan however are faster, but with frying pan dealing more damage (70 damage vs. generic 50 damage). Crowbar has semi-decapitation effect though.

Zzoram said:
Maybe the differences only apply to categories? Bludgeoning weapons, slashing weapons, and chainsaw?

Perhaps, but would you put the axe into the slashing category?

The axe is clearly more effective than the bat, and I feel like the katana is clearly more effective than the axe.

When I'm in a crowd, the katana does more damage to more enemies than the axe.

Zzoram

Ookami-kun said:

Katana has wider range, but guitar has more range. Machete and frying pan however are faster, but with frying pan dealing more damage (70 damage vs. generic 50 damage). Crowbar has semi-decapitation effect though.

frying pan does more damage than a machete?

syllogism

Ookami-kun said:

Those damage stats are worthless as weapons have multiple hit boxes which can hit the infected several times. The frying pan is pretty terrible.

e: also frying is slow, the wiki is wrong

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
gregor7777 said:
Stop please.

It's a legitimate question.

Unless his post is trolling...I would assume the difficulties have been tuned for each to be about the same. I'm just curious what he thinks is different.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
the katana and the machete are definitely miles better than the night stick and the frying pan.

axe seems to be between them...

Boss Doggie

syllogism said:
Those damage stats are worthless as weapons have multiple hit boxes which can hit the infected several times. The frying pan is pretty terrible.

e: also frying is slow, the wiki is wrong

Watcha talking about? I can swing the frying pan quite fast, at the same time with the machete.

Then again I have a soft spot for frying pans and crowbars, not so much for katanas (which aren't ninja swords, damn it!).

Also, all melee can one hit kill.

syllogism

Ookami-kun said:
Watcha talking about? I can swing the frying pan quite fast, at the same time with the machete.

Then again I have a soft spot for frying pans and crowbars, not so much for katanas (which aren't ninja swords, damn it!).

Also, all melee can one hit kill.
Machete is around 25-30% faster

e: also some weapons don't have only horizontal swings but alternate between -, / and \. The baton alternates between only - and \ if I recall correctly.

vazel

Banned
Zzoram said:
With 600 recorded hours on L4D1 (and probably hundreds before it started recording), it's a safe bet that this thread will be active until L4D3 (which Valve said WON'T be next year).
Ahhh poopy cakes. I was willing to get milked on a yearly basis for L4D.

Preferences for me are katana, axe, then guitar. Don't really like the bludgeoning weapons, and some weapons are too slow.

Hmm, I never thought about using my laptop with my TV...nah, I'd have to buy another mini-display port adaptor.

Zzoram

vazel said:
Ahhh poopy cakes. I was willing to get milked on a yearly basis for L4D.

Portal 2 + Episode 3 is probably their next project. I wonder if those 2 alone are enough to sell an Orange Box 2, or if they need to throw in Left 4 Dead 1 or something to sweeten the deal.

syllogism said:
I could link you some stats but they aren't very useful on their own as things such as the hit detection boxes/rays they use and arc are more important. It's pretty obvious which weapons are the best (katana/axe) so you don't really need to figure out the details.
Someone looked into the melee weapons (Bar chainsaw) and it seems the Axe has the most hitboxes and the katana has the fastest swing.

vertopci

TheOneGuy said:
Yeah basically you got tooled.

Happens to the best of us. Including me from time to time. )':

If by time to time you mean practically all the time, then yea :p

Blizzard said:
*looks at last two pages* I swear, I can't take you kids anywhere.

Do you even have the game yet? :/

Boss Doggie

Pan always does a \ / and - swing though, which is good.

Just because it can't slash an enemy doesn't mean it sucks. :p

vertopci

TheOneGuy said:
I don't even know what this means.

You're the biggest victim of trolling in the L4D threads!

More like I'm the biggest, sexiest, most mean and lovable troll in the L4D threads.

LunaticPuma said:
Still not following you, but it's okay.

Someone posted flamebait, you fell for it. What's not to get?

LunaticPuma said:
In what ways do you think they are different?

Because of precision vs amount of zombies coming at you?, i mean i highly doubt i could finish the parish bridge chapter using a freaking 360 controller on expert level.....i might finish it with the m/k on expert but ive yet to do it....its an extremely difficult chapter...at least compared to the others ive played.....the hordes simply dont stop coming.....the most hilarious scenes is the charger getting someone and goiing of the bridge lolol....seen it happening 2 times lol

Top Bottom