• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

8yi49v.jpg

:lol

Also, I found out a couple of cool things about the bridge finale. Did you know you don't actually have to go up that hill? You can just run past and below it...probably a much safer route for versus. Also, if you DO go up, you can immediately turn around and run backwards across some railing to an ambulance full of goodies.

dLMN8R

Thank god for the scalability of the Source engine! I'm home for the holidays and playing on my laptop with a terrible Mobility Radeon x2300 that can barely run anything.

However, I turned the resolution down to 720x480 and set every single detail level to the bare minimum - get a good, playable 20-30fps! :lol

Played some Scavenge on it today and had a blast :D

vazel

Banned
Sometimes I fucking hate this game. You can't cream the opponents because then they keep raging. My team after many rages had to start letting the other guys get good shots in. What would be a good idea is if when someone rages then for 24 hours they have a 'Rager' icon next to their name for all to see.

Twig

Banned
vazel said:
Sometimes I fucking hate this game. You can't cream the opponents because then they keep raging. My team after many rages had to start letting the other guys get good shots in. What would be a good idea is if when someone rages then for 24 hours they have a 'Rager' icon next to their name for all to see.
ur doin it rong

You cream the opponents BECAUSE they rage.

vazel

Banned
TheOneGuy said:
ur doin it rong

You cream the opponents BECAUSE they rage.
Later on yea, that feeds into the cycle. People join into bad situations and get frustrated and then leave too.

Slavik81

Has anyone gotten their achievements back from the 18th (day 2)? Or are those gone for good? Should I be holding my breath for 'em?

I've heard everyone else say it, but I still have to...This game is considerably harder than the fist. I've died several times on Normal playing Single-Player on Dark Carnival. Never had that happen in the first game I don't think. Good thing my friends are all picking L4D2 up later this week.

Amir0x

Banned
Weird fucking glitch today. My friend EUG was trying to spawn by pressing the right trigger, but one of the survivors ran past him so he couldn't spawn in. But right as she ran past him and he pressed the right trigger, his ghost spitter acted was a poltergeist charger - ramming her up and down and making her friends completely unable to save her.

She didn't take any damage, but with her friends unable to come to her aid they left her... and if this glitch is re-creatable in any way, it's gonna be bad when the griefers get a hold of it :lol

This game is pretty challenging. I love it, though sometimes its been frustrating it really gives a chaotic feel to the game. It's pretty sick.

Daigoro

Amir0x said:
Weird fucking glitch today. My friend EUG was trying to spawn by pressing the right trigger, but one of the survivors ran past him so he couldn't spawn in. But right as she ran past him and he pressed the right trigger, his ghost spitter acted was a poltergeist charger - ramming her up and down and making her friends completely unable to save her.

She didn't take any damage, but with her friends unable to come to her aid they left her... and if this glitch is re-creatable in any way, it's gonna be bad when the griefers get a hold of it :lol

thats quite a glitch. :lol

xero273

Jet Grind Radio! said:
Thanks for that game. It was fun. Damn AI though. :lol

yea damn AI. AI kept on getting incapped in the 4th crescendo event and didn't die fast enough in the finale. I thought tank was actually going to climb into copter and punch us both off of it. If you are still on later tonight, we could do some Hard Rain.

xero273 said:
yea damn AI. AI kept on getting incapped in the 4th crescendo event and didn't die fast enough in the finale. I thought tank was actually going to climb into copter and punch us both off of it. If you are still on later tonight, we could do some Hard Rain.
I thought so too. He did punch me, but luckilly not off the Chopper. And damn, I really wish I had found a katana. I'm so much better with those than any other melee weapon.

Yea, I'll be on. IM me in Steam, and I'll be down for playing more.

sankao

Rickard said:
Awhile back some of my friends helped me replay all the other campaigns.

Nothing happened.

And everybody hates playing Blood Harvest becuase of the trees and lack of items.

And yes I fucking care.

It's not that I want to show off that I completed all the capmaigns on expert, it's that I want to have 100%, and I can't have that, and it's bullshit.

What are you trying to prove ?

I like how in Versus some of the levels don't even have little stop signs floating in the air indicating the invisible walls along the periphery of the environments.

My copy arrived in the mail today from Amazon. Haven't had time to play yet but I'm off work for the next 5 days, so I'll definitely be spending some quality time with this.

Cynar

I wish they would give us the option on 360 to search for either local or dedicated servers. I hate playing on someones local server and have it be laggy to hell.

Zzoram

So I've heard on GWJ podcast that L4D2 on Xbox 360 is impossibly difficult compared to the original. Is this true? If so, is Valve/EA going to do something about it, maybe patching it to be easier like Bioware/EA did to the Normal and Easy difficulties of Dragon Age Origins on PC?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Zzoram said:
So I've heard on GWJ podcast that L4D2 on Xbox 360 is impossibly difficult compared to the original. Is this true? If so, is Valve/EA going to do something about it, maybe patching it to be easier like Bioware/EA did to the Normal and Easy difficulties of Dragon Age Origins on PC?

I've never played it 360, but I figure if you get real people to play instead of those retarded bots, it shouldn't be too hard.

Dragon Age was a fucking disaster, especially if you were a rogue who focused on dex in the beginning before the patch like I did. The difficulty for me was the sheer amount of enemies you faced in it, not because anyone was particularly 'unbeatable'.

Zzoram said:

I'd say that L4D2 on easy is like L4D on normal.

Zzoram

Kuro Madoushi said:
I've never played it 360, but I figure if you get real people to play instead of those retarded bots, it shouldn't be too hard.

Dragon Age was a fucking disaster, especially if you were a rogue who focused on dex in the beginning before the patch like I did. The difficulty for me was the sheer amount of enemies you faced in it, not because anyone was particularly 'unbeatable'.

I never applied the hotfix so I think my Rogue is still broken. He has like 38 Dex and 36 Str but still hits for like 40 damage.

Zzoram said:
It's harder than the original, sure, on both platforms. But Easy/Normal are still a joke. I soloed Normal Dead Center with melee weapons to get the achievement, and was incapped exactly no times, and I wasn't even really concentrating. And I'm not even that good at the game.

Advanced and Expert are a step above what they were in 1, certainly, but not unmanageable. Expert Realism offers a challenge for even very good players.

I heard about this podcast, and I've heard that groups of four can't get through the game on Normal. While that is frankly baffling to me, maybe they should play on Easy! And if they can't beat Easy, maybe they should quit games.

Daigoro

Zzoram said:

impossibly difficult? no. harder? yep.

and god, i hope they dont fuck with it. please dont make it easier. its great the way it is.

Tokubetsu

Zzoram said:
I never applied the hotfix so I think my Rogue is still broken. He has like 38 Dex and 36 Str but still hits for like 40 damage.

It really doesn't matter once you get lethality and your dmg will be based on cunning instead of STR. The hotfix also fixed Archery.

Zzoram

Daigoro said:
impossibly difficult? no. harder? yep.

and god, i hope they dont fuck with it. please dont make it easier. its great the way it is.

I mean make Easy easier. Easy modes have to be actually easy because there are a lot of bad gamers out there.

Cynar

Zzoram said:

I hope to god not. It's a lot of fun the way it is and it's fine really.

Zzoram said:
I mean make Easy easier. Easy modes have to be actually easy because there are a lot of bad gamers out there.
But Easy is really, really easy. If you can't beat Easy, you probably shouldn't be reviewing or recording podcasts about games, or at least shooters, because your experience and opinion is going to be so off-base. If you're struggling on Easy, something is fundamentally wrong in your understanding of how the game is played.

Edit: also, it's off topic, but Dragon Age: Origin's difficulty is great too (and I kicked it up to Hard, because I love the genre and wanted it to last). More games should be hard! The only issue DA:O suffers from is an inconsistency, where some random sidequest encounters are harder than story boss fights, and the difficulty spikes up and down seemingly at random.

Zzoram

Shake Appeal said:
But Easy is really, really easy. If you can't beat Easy, you probably shouldn't be reviewing or recording podcasts about games, or at least shooters, because your experience and opinion is going to be so off-base. If you're struggling on Easy, something is fundamentally wrong in your understanding of how the game is played.

Edit: also, it's off topic, but Dragon Age: Origin's difficulty is great too (and I kicked it up to Hard, because I love the genre and wanted it to last). More games should be hard! The only issue DA:O suffers from is an inconsistency, where some random sidequest encounters are harder than story boss fights, and the difficulty spikes up and down seemingly at random.

They specifically found the 360 version way harder than the PC version, and think it wasn't tweaked to balance for controller. Are you playing 360 version on Easy and finding it easy?

Zzoram said:
They specifically found the 360 version way harder than the PC version, and think it wasn't tweaked to balance for controller. Are you playing 360 version on Easy and finding it easy?
I have both, and they play all but identically. I suppose 360 is a little harder in Realism mode because headshots are more troublesome without mouse/keyboard, although on balance the 360 is probably easier because of the loose hit detection. I also suspect the pace of the 360 version is slightly slower, but that's entirely anecdotal and I have no demonstrable basis for saying that.

The crucial point about the 360 controls: there is no autoaim. As I said, it's looser in its hit detection than the PC (i.e. a shot quite near the head counts as a headshot, whereas on PC you have to, y'know, shoot the head), but it doesn't steer or sticky your aim at all, unlike just about every other console shooter, including the biggest in the business (Halo, CoD). So if you're bad with a controller, and/or used to having autoaim compensate for analog stick aiming, it probably will feel more difficult than other console shooters.

But Easy really is easy on either platform, and without being a dick about it, I would genuinely question the credentials of someone paid to review games for a living if they can't blaze through the game on that difficulty. There must be some fundamental mechanics they're not grasping (RT to shoot?).

Zzoram

Shake Appeal said:
I have both, and they play all but identically. I suppose 360 is a little harder in Realism mode because headshots are more troublesome without mouse/keyboard, although on balance the 360 is probably easier because of the loose hit detection. I also suspect the pace of the 360 version is slightly slower, but that's entirely anecdotal and I have no demonstrable basis for saying that.

The crucial point about the 360 controls: there is no autoaim. As I said, it's looser in its hit detection than the PC (i.e. a shot quite near the head counts as a headshot, whereas on PC you have to, y'know, shoot the head), but it doesn't steer or sticky your aim at all, unlike just about every other console shooter, including the biggest in the business (Halo, CoD). So if you're bad with a controller, and/or used to having autoaim compensate for analog stick aiming, it probably will feel more difficult than other console shooters.

But Easy really is easy on either platform, and without being a dick about it, I would genuinely question the credentials of someone paid to review games for a living if they can't blaze through the game on that difficulty. There must be some fundamental mechanics they're not grasping (RT to shoot?).

I forget who on GWJ Podcast complained about this, but he said on 2 separate podcasts that L4D2 is the biggest disappointment of the year because he can't handle Easy on 360. He said he can't beat a campaign on Easy without a dozen deaths. He blamed it on multiple specials coming too often. I find this hard to believe, but he seemed serious about it and I haven't tried the 360 version so I was wondering if he was right. You suggest that he's wrong, but maybe you're some kinda super pro console shooter guy. That or maybe he's way worse at console shooters without autoaim than he realizes.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Zzoram said:
I forget who on GWJ Podcast complained about this, but he said on 2 separate podcasts that L4D2 is the biggest disappointment of the year because he can't handle Easy on 360. He said he can't beat a campaign on Easy without a dozen deaths. He blamed it on multiple specials coming too often.
wow.

wow.

Zzoram

Rez said:
wow.

wow.

I was shocked too. My only experience is L4D2 demo on PC, and I got through both levels on Expert without dying with 1 friend and 2 randoms, none of us using mics. I'm not even that good at L4D1, I generally only play Advanced with a bit of Expert. Considering that nobody else seemed to complain about L4D2's difficulty, it must just be him.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
was he playing single player or with friends?

I've had similar experiences with randoms and no mics. :)

Zzoram said:
I forget who on GWJ Podcast complained about this, but he said on 2 separate podcasts that L4D2 is the biggest disappointment of the year because he can't handle Easy on 360. He said he can't beat a campaign on Easy without a dozen deaths. He blamed it on multiple specials coming too often. I find this hard to believe, but he seemed serious about it and I haven't tried the 360 version so I was wondering if he was right. You suggest that he's wrong, but maybe you're some kinda super pro console shooter guy. That or maybe he's way worse at console shooters without autoaim than he realizes.
Unbelievable.

I'm positively stumped. Easy is almost insulting in how little challenge there is on both platforms and I do not understand how someone can die so frequently on that difficulty to the point that it ruins the game for said person. Even Normal is a walk in the park for anyone with some amount of experience in First-Person Shooters, and the same can be said about Advanced (vanilla, not Realism) if you either have a competent group or were toughened up by the difficulty curve of Experience.

Admittedly the bots are pretty terrible this time around as they have the tendency to just stand there and gawk at you if a Special Infected grabs a hold of you, but I still find it hard to believe that someone affiliated with a gaming website can't finish Easy. With a group no less (if I read that correctly).

Zzoram

Rez said:
was he playing single player or with friends?

I've had similar experiences with randoms and no mics. :)

I can't remember how many people, but he had at least 1 friend with him so it wasn't singleplayer.

Zzoram

MicVlaD said:
Unbelievable.

I'm positively stumped. Easy is almost insulting in how little challenge there is on both platforms and I do not understand how someone can die so frequently on that difficulty to the point that it ruins the game for said person. Even Normal is a walk in the park for anyone with some amount of experience in First-Person Shooters, and the same can be said about Advanced (vanilla, not Realism) if you either have a competent group or were toughened up by the difficulty curve of Experience.

It's mind boggling because he said he played a lot of Normal/Advance in L4D1 on 360 and enjoyed it and handled it fine.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
MicVlaD said:
Unbelievable.

Advanced can actually be quite difficult if you're with a team who plays in a very L4D1-esque "let's try and hold a position when really we should be running for the alarm on the third floor" party, to be fair.

Top Bottom