• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

xero273

Botolf said:
Hard Rain 2 is cruel, so very cruel.

But so awesome

yea hard rain is cruel. me and jet grind radio were playing on normal last night and barely made it. damn bots and witches getting us killed...

Botolf said:
Hard Rain 2 is cruel, so very cruel.

But so awesome
This is where I gave up on Expert Realism singleplayer. The bots cannot, cannot navigate the witches, and when a tank comes in the middle of everything else you only have a few seconds to live.

Alex

I largely play 3 player co-op with friends and 1 bot

The bot is witch bait, we just nudge it slowly into the witch, witch goes bananas, kills the bot and then we kill the witch.

Alex

Yeah, I've cleared the game. Never had a bot actually aggro a witch, even in the swarms of them in Hard Rain, but for the ones we can't shimmy by Rochelle is called in to try and reason with the witch

Just played the Parish campaign by myself on Normal, and it was surprisingly easy getting to the finale. I actually got into the Chopper at the end, and much to my dismay a tank came in with me can incapp'd me. When the only other surviving Survivor got in, it ended the campaign. I didn't get credit. =/

Redd

Raydeen said:
Hunter should have been exorcised from the game completely -he's just so forgettable and out of his element in L4D2.

Eh, I disagree. Get a good boom and pounce a survivor and even if they're real close to their friends it's so hard to get knocked off or killed since the survivors can't aim for your name anymore. Better yet work with a Smoker wait for the Boom, pull a survivor away and pounce them a distance away so the Smoker can recharge and get another pull.

Redd said:
Eh, I disagree. Get a good boom and pounce a survivor and even if they're real close to their friends it's so hard to get knocked off or killed since the survivors can't aim for your name anymore. Better yet work with a Smoker wait for the Boom, pull a survivor away and pounce them a distance away so the Smoker can recharge and get another pull.

I always felt like the hunter was best used assisting the smoker... let the smoker begin the attack by pulling a stray survivor, then have the hunter take out the first person on the scene to rescue.

In l4d2 it seems like the jockey is just better in every respect, though, in almost every situation where a hunter can take out a player the jockey is better, AND the jockey is freed up if he downs a survivor he's on. Hunter is still nice for scavenger and dead center finale when you know exactly where a player is going to be standing still at (pouring the gas) and there are plenty of 25 dmg spots to leap on them from.

Chargers are such beasts on 1:1, if you take somebody out of the first window it's going to be over when they make it to the ledge. Though I agree with hunters, they're quite useful when paired with a spitter but what isn't? I think they're still one of the more fun infected to play as, mind.

Zzoram

Alex said:
Yeah, I've cleared the game. Never had a bot actually aggro a witch, even in the swarms of them in Hard Rain, but for the ones we can't shimmy by Rochelle is called in to try and reason with the witch

In L4D1 they would ALWAYS aggro the witch.

Zzoram

Jet Grind Radio! said:
Just played the Parish campaign by myself on Normal, and it was surprisingly easy getting to the finale. I actually got into the Chopper at the end, and much to my dismay a tank came in with me can incapp'd me. When the only other surviving Survivor got in, it ended the campaign. I didn't get credit. =/

If it was a bot, it wouldn't give you credit. It is considered a wipe when all human players are down even if bots are still alive.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
gregor7777 said:
It would be nice if the bots were smart enough to pick up cans in Scavenge.

Yeah, 2 makes the AI on the bots seem a lot worse due to stuff like this. I can understand them not picking up random cans to shoot considering how horribly that could end up, but in stuff like scavenge or the Dead Center finale, it's a huge disadvantage to have a bot.

Zzoram said:
In L4D1 they would ALWAYS aggro the witch.

They still do in 2 a lot. Even when you go around them completely they sometimes backtrack to do it for some reason.

Amir0x

Banned
In my opinion, A.I. is much dumber in L4D2. They make so many more amateur mistakes it's obscene. Backing up into me more often instead of shooting off from distance, completely ignoring me for some other less important threat. When we hit a witch we ran into the CEDA trailer and closed the door, and the fucking A.I. bot kept opening the door which I kept closing until finally the witch squeezed its way in and got my friend.

On Scavenge, A.I. bots will often sit in the starting area for nearly 10 seconds or more after you and your team leave, making him vulnerable to any enterprising special infected to take an opportunity to fuck him up.

It's really annoying. Never play without friends, naturally.

Raydeen said:
How is everyone finding multiplayer now the whizz and bang of launch day are gone?
With my initial excitement waning, I've started to miss the first game (which is why I've gone back to play it these past couple of days).

I much prefer the tighter, corridor-like level design. The singular path and predictable spawn order of the special infected lead to a battle of wits, as both would try to out-guess the other. With regulars I played with, very little communication was needed. I'd see a boomer waiting around a corner, with a smoker back down the corridor and I'd instantly know what they'd be thinking. I'd pounce the 2nd guy in line, just before the corner, 1st guy would turn around to melee, allowing the boomer to spawn and attack. In the ensuing confusion, the smoker would pull the last guy as another hunter got the 3rd. You could read the thoughts of your team-mates with ease.

Playing as the survivors, you knew the tools that the special infected had and would try to fool them into spawning too early or surprise them in stealth mode.

In 2, the open stages lead to a frantic, faster pace, where co-ordinating an attack is trickier, not only for the "the-survivors-could-go-anywhere" element, but due to some areas being devoid of notable landmarks (example: the dozens of houses in HR1), describing possible ambush points to your fellow special infected is awkward. On top of which, you can't say 'wait for the boomer to spawn' as you've no idea which character you'll get. Obviously there are many points throughout the game where easy co-ordination is possible, I just wish there were more.

Having said that (yes, I watch Curb), the Campaign side of the game has been vastly improved upon. I can see myself replaying these on expert/realism purely for fun, rather than simply trying to get the achievements as I did in the first.

Finally, I should mention that switching back and forth between the two does have its drawbacks, as the hunter pounce, tank rock and boomer bile arcs differ, meaning some mental calculations need adjustment.

Amir0x

Banned
I find coordinating attacks is just as easy as it's always been. Maybe you just need to have better communication.

The worst case scenario I'm just "scan for my ghost", and they do and they'll come to me. But that only happens 1% of the time because it's pretty easy to see where the survivors are and to know to wait for friends to spawn for an ambush, if you're playing with decent people./

Firestorm

Anyone want to do the swamp level with me? Normal or Advanced. My friends aren't playing campaign anymore and I haven't played that one.

Volcynika

Firestorm said:
Anyone want to do the swamp level with me? Normal or Advanced. My friends aren't playing campaign anymore and I haven't played that one.

I haven't even played that campaign yet, and want to kill about 2 hours. So I'm game.

gregor7777 said:
It would be nice if the bots were smart enough to pick up cans in Scavenge.

They're even more useless this time around. That's a great thing when you consider that the game is even more co-op focused than the original. But its also a bad thing when you just want to mess around in single player.

Its not that the bots are horrible, but they really need to learn a few new tricks to be helpful, like throwing (or at least holding on to molotovs, pipe bombs, bile, etc.) and carrying stuff. I guess I'm saying its still better that there are bots in the game rather than not.

Zzoram said:
If it was a bot, it wouldn't give you credit. It is considered a wipe when all human players are down even if bots are still alive.
I know. :[ I was kinda hoping that he'd resuscitate me before the chapter ended, or even kicked me back to the safehouse.

Flynn

BenjaminBirdie said:
Possibly. I made it, but just barely. Adrenaline probably won't help me survive a Tank attack at +13.

I try to have my ass to the gate when it explodes. That's about all you can do unless your team has it together and can put down both tanks efficiently.

Fuck! I was getting some of the special-condition Achievements (Violence in Silence, Sob Story, etc.) and I did the bridge finale in 5 minutes....fuuuuuck. I honestly felt like I had a shot at it and my heart sank when I didn't get the Achievement :( (Okay, not really, but it was a tiny bit disappointing :p) I did it on Easy with bots, since the bots are perfect horde fodder XD The only drawback is that they don't use pipe bombs and such...would've been real useful.

Did any of you do it with the AI? I feel like I can do it. It was my first attempt...I feel like I can refine some things. I didn't try again, though.

Also: holy fucking shit. I tried Expert Realism by myself just to see how hardcore it'd be...

Goddaaaaaaaamn :lol

I also tried Expert on my own in Dead Center and made it to the first safe house in awful condition. Jesus Christ :lol And that was after many continues.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
dragonlife29 said:
Fuck! I was getting some of the special-condition Achievements (Violence in Silence, Sob Story, etc.) and I did the bridge finale in 5 minutes....fuuuuuck. I honestly felt like I had a shot at it and my heart sank when I didn't get the Achievement :( (Okay, not really, but it was a tiny bit disappointing :p) I did it on Easy with bots, since the bots are perfect horde fodder XD The only drawback is that they don't use pipe bombs and such...would've been real useful.

Did any of you do it with the AI? I feel like I can do it.

I did, yeah. First off, it's three minutes. :p

It wasn't really hard to me though--I just never stopped running, flew past the tank, then threw a pipe bomb when I got to the last drop down before the final sprint to the heli. After throwing a pipebomb I also changed the difficulty to expert so the bots would get horribly destroyed, but I don't think that part was needed!

Yeah, I know it's three minutes :p The fact that I got it in five hurts, basically...so close, yet so far away.

I hadn't thought about the difficulty-change thing! I'll keep that in mind. Can't wait to try when I'm not tired :lol

Hmm, I should try that. Well, I first gotta finish the last campaign by myself.

I also love machetes and katanas. Especially for runs like the finale in Parish.

Volcynika

Was the only survivor in a run on Advanced Realism Swamp Fever with Firestorm, Pillowknight, and Phaethon0017 (who was later replaced by RocketDarkness)

At the end, RD got hit by something, Firestorm got smoked, and Pillow got swarmed and attacked by a tank. And I'm limping to the boat at 1 HP with a horde coming for me and a Tank chucking rocks at me and I somehow make it!

:O

Shoogoo

Amir0x said:
In my opinion, A.I. is much dumber in L4D2. They make so many more amateur mistakes it's obscene. Backing up into me more often instead of shooting off from distance, completely ignoring me for some other less important threat. When we hit a witch we ran into the CEDA trailer and closed the door, and the fucking A.I. bot kept opening the door which I kept closing until finally the witch squeezed its way in and got my friend.

And the A.I. started the alarm, too :lol

I wouldn't mind on normal but on advanced that pretty much fucks you up.

Volcynika said:
Was the only survivor in a run on Advanced Realism Swamp Fever with Firestorm, Pillowknight, and Phaethon0017 (who was later replaced by RocketDarkness)

At the end, RD got hit by something, Firestorm got smoked, and Pillow got swarmed and attacked by a tank. And I'm limping to the boat at 1 HP with a horde coming for me and a Tank chucking rocks at me and I somehow make it!

:O
Epic!

No video? :(

Firestorm

nope. wasn't recording. Pillow and I didn't really know where to go after we killed the third tank and hesitated... that's about all the time AI Director needed to destroy us. Rocket's internet died. All of it was on Volc to finish after that! Watching him slowly limping towards a boat with a horde and tank ripping up a fence behind him...

Volcynika

Firestorm said:
nope. wasn't recording. Pillow and I didn't really know where to go after we killed the third tank and hesitated... that's about all the time AI Director needed to destroy us. Rocket's internet died. All of it was on Volc to finish after that! Watching him slowly limping towards a boat with a horde and tank ripping up a fence behind him...

I turned around once and saw what was coming and limped like hell to the boat. :lol

MNC

Zzoram said:
Bots can't complete campaigns, I think. But they are able to pick you up when every human player is down. Say you got 3H, 1CP, if the CP is the only one not incapped, he can go round and pick people up.

I was playing by myself earlier on Parish, I got through the impound lot without setting a car off. Even with a tank rampaging. As soon as I got to the cemetary, I got hit by a Charger, and got glitched into a wall. The game kept sending special infected my way, but the AI kept killing them. So I said fuck it, and turned off the game.

Firestorm said:
My internet makes me cry sometimes.

JudgeN

I can finally join the club but question about PC performance, using a Q6600 at 3.6 gig and a 4870 I'm getting random frame drops with everything on max and 4x MSAA, is this suppose to happen?

rezuth

JudgeN said:
I can finally join the club but question about PC performance, using a Q6600 at 3.6 gig and a 4870 I'm getting random frame drops with everything on max and 4x MSAA, is this suppose to happen?
Try disabling dual rendering.

Facism

I played some versus with friends last night. 3 of us got stuck in the floors, boomer would vomit over 4 guys, finish the animation, but only 1 gets covered. This happened 4 times. Chargers hitting invisible walls and staggering just short of survivors in open ground. finale wouldn't trigger properly so the other team got shafted when the distance timer ceased on Swamp Fever we also didn't get our tank.

:(

Me and a friend ran through the first four campaigns last night. Just have The Parish to go. Have another friend joining the fray now too. So far my favorite is definitely Hard Rain. Haven't touched any of the multiplayer yet, but we will eventually.

Twig

Banned
ToyMachine228 said:
Me and a friend ran through the first four campaigns last night. Just have The Parish to go. Have another friend joining the fray now too. So far my favorite is definitely Hard Rain. Haven't touched any of the multiplayer yet, but we will eventually.
???

Top Bottom