• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

Mazre

Picked up the game today, and have to echo the single player AI issues. Not a big deal since I was just going through to initially familiarize myself with the maps so I'm not stumbling around in multi.

I think one of the major issues this time is the number of gauntlet style crescendo events. The AI has no real mechanism by which they can ignore infected and just run for the exit, and attempting to run too far ahead of them simply isolates yourself.

The final chapter of "The Parish" is like one big f-you to the AI really. I actually made it across that damn bridge dragging along the retard brigade, got the call to "GET TO DA CHOPPA" and in the time I made it to the helicopter 2 of my charges were incapped at the bridge and one was scratching himself about halfway down the ramp. Sadly the pilots refused my cries to just leave the decoys behind. I died waiting on the helicopter as a tank climbed on board and incapped me. I even got to see the helicopter lift off before loading back in the saferoom and concluding I would not be touching single player again.

Alex

I thought the Parish finale was one of the spots where the bots did pretty good. On our first run through, we did 2x bots 2x humans on it, but just on Advanced, and they kept up well, and never caused any real problems. They're good shots and normally pretty good saviors so it went OK.

The problems I have with them is that they are numbskulls when it comes to any sort of environmental hazard. So when you mix in, say, environmental hazards with.... a tank, it's bad news.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Alex said:
I thought the Parish finale was one of the spots where the bots did pretty good. On our first run through, we did 2x bots 2x humans on it, but just on Advanced, and they kept up well, and never caused any real problems. They're good shots and normally pretty good saviors so it went OK.

The problems I have with them is that they are numbskulls when it comes to any sort of environmental hazard. So when you mix in, say, environmental hazards with.... a tank, it's bad news.

They do alright on it, but they have the same issue they have regarding all the moments where you need to keep running--they go too slow. They focus on killing all the zombies which slogs everyone behind. It's one of the better finales for them, but mainly because every other one seems to have a twist that they can't really handle.

Dead Center's scavenging? Easily their worst moment. Dark Carnival concert? Pretty standard, but you need to do all of the work(setting up fireworks, gas cans, etc. along with shooting them at the right time). Swamp Fever? They seem to have a mental collapse on the double tank. Hard Rain? Pretty standard, so no real issues. Aside from maybe hanging on the roof instead of being inside which leaves them wide open to getting snagged by someone. So that makes the Parish easy to handle in comparison, you can also run through it leaving them all behind without much of an issue as well.

Zeke said:
I wish valve would have given the bots the ability to use pipe bombs and cocktails it would be a great help

Yeah, even stuff like this that was wanted in 1 still isn't here. Then you have all the additions that they also don't use(defib, melee weapons, boomer bile) to make it even worse. I really get annoyed by the defib at times, when they don't have a medkit and see one, why not take it? If they die then I can easily revive them by the defib they drop, and if I die just have it so they revive me in a certain time limit instead of instantly ending. I'm actually not sure what happens with melee weapons, because I HAVE seen them pick them up on a few occasions, but they don't seem to actually use them.

I don't think Valve will fix the Survivor Bots, if only for the fact I would assume that the Special Infected are also a type of bot, and Special Infected are generally smart enough. Survivor bots being this stupid almost seems like a conscious design decision.

The AI is horrid. In Parish, when you are going into the sewer I accidently jumped into some Spitter acid and got incapped. After dispatching the Spitter, the bots stood by with their backs to me while I still lay incapped. I had to shoot one in the back a few times before they would revive me. =/

Dark Stalkers said:
Why are people so kick happy in this game? I get kicked before I even get to do anything.

Don't take it personally, most of those are a group who had a friend drop and you somehow got put in their game before their friend could get back on.

Red Scarlet

First time..I get Huntered right above 2 of them. :(
Then on Expert, Botolf blows the side of my head off while on the boat. :(
And now, I'm on the boat, Botolf's getting a Tank fist in the face in front of the boat so I smack the Tank with a crowbar, then the Tank punches me and I hang off the end of the boat, counting as down/dead.

What zany way of dying will happen next time on Hard Rain with BOTOLF™?!

Volcynika

Red Scarlet said:
First time..I get Huntered right above 2 of them. :(
Then on Expert, Botolf blows the side of my head off while on the boat. :(
And now, I'm on the boat, Botolf's getting a Tank fist in the face in front of the boat so I smack the Tank with a crowbar, then the Tank punches me and I hang off the end of the boat, counting as down/dead.

What zany way of dying will happen next time on Hard Rain with BOTOLF™?!

Stay tuned to find out on the next episode of "Protolf"!

Sibylus

Banned
I'm blameless in this latest Hard Rain outing: no FF, no abandonment, I even lured the Tank onto the roof so that he wouldn't storm into the restaurant where my comrades were (He had spawned in the backyard near the boat dock, I figured I was the only one who had seen him).

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Gaf i am in need of a few fine men/women to expert with, preferably with a mic but if not id take a good shot over anything.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
good stuff, im europe based but that shouldnt dissuade as my entire friends list is american who i play with often

Ill be up for a runthrough this evening

any more for any more?

kinggroin

Banned
Mr Cola said:
good stuff, im europe based but that shouldnt dissuade as my entire friends list is american who i play with often

any more for any more?

I'd join, but only if you share my strange love for replaying sections of this game over and over and over again.
can we play on easy?

Mr Cola said:

any more for any more?
I'll do Expert, what is your Steam ID?

Railer

The game crashed (PC version) at the mall, we were infected and just gonna play as survivors and i got IPV error (so did my friend). Im guessing this is a known error?

Is there a fix ?

1-D_FTW

The appeal of playing with bots is the game takes a long time to play. So you can play for 30 minutes and not have to worry about randomly joining jerks or bailing on people you know.

But as others have stated, they're a definite downgrade. I always thought Valve intentionally made them stupid because they were aimbots. And if they shot immediately at infected, there would never be failure. But they've gone from idiotic to worthless. I don't think I've seen them shoot a single special infected off me. It's melee or bust. All 3 could be 500 yards away and they're not gonna fire a single shot unless that can catch up to you and melee it off.

And then if you're incapped, they're not going to clear the zombies foot stomping you. They're going to try raising you why the horde constantly kills the rescue.

Pretty amazing. I always though they gave Battlefield bots a run for their money in the worthless department. But L4D2 raises it to new levels. BF bots > L4D2 bots.

Sober

Alex said:

Well, if you go to the upper level (that caved down) about halfway through the finale, and you try to take a turn round back to an amblulance for supplies, the bots instinctively run up up the ramp, try to jump to cut some corners and they end up dangling from the roof. I had to restart the bridge finale once (on normal, lolnoob) and each time they did that. So awkward.

sgnhh

Neo Member
My biggest issue with bots is that they have no good concept of when someone should be healed with a medkit. You should never really be healed unless you are black and white, yet even on Expert a bot will heal itself or someone else if their health is at 30 and they haven't yet been incapped.

sgnhh said:
My biggest issue with bots is that they have no good concept of when someone should be healed with a medkit. You should never really be healed unless you are black and white, yet even on Expert a bot will heal itself or someone else if their health is at 30 and they haven't yet been incapped.
That entirely depends on the mode you play.

sgnhh

Neo Member
How do you figure? Just because they throw more medkits at you on Easy or Normal doesn't necessarily mean you should heal every time you see one. I think saving medkits until you or a teammate is black and white (or if you're about to engage a tank) is good practice for anyone that wants to move into the higher difficulties.

sgnhh said:
How do you figure? Just because they throw more medkits at you on Easy or Normal doesn't necessarily mean you should heal every time you see one. I think saving medkits until you or a teammate is black and white (or if you're about to engage a tank) is good practice for anyone that wants to move into the higher difficulties.
Well I was referring to versus mode where just one lucky attempt by the infected can wipe out your team.

Edit: But yeah bots are just dumb. If you are going to play with bots, play on easy.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
baaah I still haven't beat any campaign except for.... shit I don't even remember which. I think the carnival.

stupid stats wipe :(

This game is just so much harder, and I find it funny that Valve decided to let the bots cheese. At least twice I've seen Boomers use fall damage like bombs intentionally, I'm not even sure if they actually fell far enough to explode. Tanks now go for incapacitation then run off rather than focusing on just killing one person at a time. Then there's those Chargers on that damn bridge... nothing like making it through everything prior without even getting downed once, just to be rammed right off the side into the void and an instant death. :lol

I had also never really touched Survival in L4D1 before, so getting four tanks directly in a row at the burger restaurant was a new experience for me.

Jet Grind Radio! said:
The AI is horrid. In Parish, when you are going into the sewer I accidently jumped into some Spitter acid and got incapped. After dispatching the Spitter, the bots stood by with their backs to me while I still lay incapped. I had to shoot one in the back a few times before they would revive me. =/

I had one trying to get me to stand up while a tank was right there beside them staring at me. :lol Surprisingly they succeeded.

Raydeen

One little annoyance. The sugar cane field - why oh why did Valve make a super excellent claustrophobic area of the map and ruin it by putting the pipeline that runs through is so you can just run through on top of that instead totally negating the point of putting the sugar canes there in the first place.

kaskade

My amazon copy shipped already. The estimated ship date was the 2nd. with delivery somewhere between the 9th and 15th. It shipped usps which kind of sucks but it's in delaware, not far from me. Looks like I'll be getting it way sooner than I thought.

Sober

Raydeen said:
One little annoyance. The sugar cane field - why oh why did Valve make a super excellent claustrophobic area of the map and ruin it by putting the pipeline that runs through is so you can just run through on top of that instead totally negating the point of putting the sugar canes there in the first place.
Last I checked, the pipeline only spans maybe 1/3 of the field. It's still bloody useful on the way back when the storm picks up, but yeah, maybe they should've had that part of geometry manipulated by the AID or something to be truly evil (especially if they removed it on Expert + Realism mode)

Amir0x said:
yeah L4D without human teammates is like Mario without mushrooms or some shit

The problem I'm running into is that while almost my entire friends list bought L4D1 only myself and 3 other friends bought L4D2 and my other friends have to be dragged kicking and screaming from MW2 in order to play with us. It's just not as fun this time around.

Kulock said:
I had one trying to get me to stand up while a tank was right there beside them staring at me. :lol Surprisingly they succeeded.
I threw a pipe bomb during a horde rush to get them away from us, and one of the bots started to heal me even though I really didn't need it. As it was doing it's thing, I notice the pipe bomb getting kicked back to me but I couldn't move because I was being healed. =/

The AI is crappy, but it is pretty funny what they will do. :lol

Flek

Banned
question guys is l4d 1 (!) still worth it? Iam thinking about buying it on steam … never played it, always wanted…please tell me?

Sibylus

Banned
Zzoram said:
Really? I always thought it worked.
In the achievement descriptions for both games, the key word in common for all 10 campaigns (No Mercy, Crash Course, Death Toll, Dead Air, Blood Harvest, Dead Center, Dark Carnival, Swamp Fever, Hard Rain, The Parish) is survive. The completion achievements have always required that you escape in the rescue vehicle.

Nabs

Flek said:
question guys is l4d 1 (!) still worth it? Iam thinking about buying it on steam … never played it, always wanted…please tell me?
it's 7 bucks. don't think, just do.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Zzoram said:
Really? I always thought it worked.

Nope, only people who survive get credit. It's always been that way.

Top Bottom