• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

Zzoram

I just bought L4D2 for $37.49

I don't want to mess with PayPal for the 4-pack, but I didn't want to pay over $40, so this sale is perfect for me.

Wrekt

About once a hour I receive this error message that crashes my client. It usually happens when switching sides in a Scavenge match but I seem to recall it happening it in Versus as well. Anybody else see this?

l4d2%20error.png

Wrekt said:
About once a hour I receive this error message that crashes my client. It usually happens when switching sides in a Scavenge match but I seem to recall it happening it in Versus as well. Anybody else see this?

l4d2%20error.png

Yep. I've narrowed it down to the Dead Center campaign, and in particular, the finale. More often than not it's while playing Scavenge. It's happened on a few other maps, but nowhere near the frequency as with Dead Center.

Most other maps/gamemodes I'm fine, although that particular error has gone away and been replaced with a silent crash.

Valve has said they're aware of the issue and will be patching it soon.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
god this game pisses me off. Well, the people who play it do.

Whenever you get to the final act people turn into massive assholes. They start hoarding med kits and pills. They never help, instead they just rush on. And then when you get to the end of the final act you can guarantee one person will just leg it. And then, confused, somebody else will try to join them so now you've got 2 teams or 2. Of course, somebody gets a hunter or jockey on them so now 1 person needs to fight off 20 zombies to get to that person.

Ahhhhhhhhhh

/rant.

Zzoram

Hmm, Left 4 Dead 2 Demo is no longer under my Not Installed list. Is it because I just bought L4D2 or was there an update that removed it?

Twig

Banned
Ah goddamnit I was hoping there wouldn't be an update before I got back from T-Day vacation.

So much for that awesome video I was going to make. ):

EDIT: Although I suppose I could start Steam in offline mode and play L4D2 single-player to run the demos.

Humph. Will have to try.

Twig

Banned
Recording demos doesn't really seem to affect much at all, no.

Source has a built-in avi converter but I've never used it. I'd probably just use Fraps. (I've never actually used demos before L4D2, but they're so much smaller than using Fraps every single time I play.)

If only Valve would just release an official Old Demo Player. ): It can't be too difficult, right!!

kaskade

I got it off amazon.com for 30 bucks with my 10 dollar credit. Half off is pretty freaking good to me. Xbox 360 version though.

Volcynika

ThePeacemaker02 said:
I got it off amazon.com for 30 bucks with my 10 dollar credit. Half off is pretty freaking good to me. Xbox 360 version though.

THey just recently did an update for 360 people and the dedicated servers seem to be much improved. You have good timing!

taku

Just bought this game and played the first campaign online. This game is incredibly fun and the finale of the first campaign was epic! It ended with everyone being either dead or on the ground but me. I had to fill up the car with the 3 remaining fuel tanks by myself and I only had 1 health left! Nevertheless, we survived!

[-]November 27, 2009 - Left 4 Dead 2 Update Released

Updates to Left 4 Dead 2 have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The major changes include:

Left 4 Dead 2

Updated stats collection and related steam pages

Fixed issue where players could be stuck if caught in charger pound

Updated CPU detection

so vert.

your server has gone back to being shit again :p

Alex

I never really even messed with Versus in the original. Fuck, this is amazing. This is like the first truly interesting competitive game I've played in years.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
well that was maddening. just lost 3 rounds of dead centre the level where you have to turn off the alarm on the 3rd floor.

Hey random team, shall we hang out on the 1st floor and kill the zombies till they stop coming?!

Oh what about you guy, everyones red, you have 70% and snagged the health pack? how about you don't share it.

I love this game but fucking hell strangers!!

Concept17

Alex said:
I never really even messed with Versus in the original. Fuck, this is amazing. This is like the first truly interesting competitive game I've played in years.

Yeah, L4D starting losing my interest a couple months after release, and then my friend and brother picked it up, and we started doing VS. Haven't stopped since, and its 100x better in L4D2. Add to that the friends I've made along the way with play with regularly, makes it that much more fun.

baultista

Banned
gregor7777 said:
Steam sale:

$37.49

4-pack - $112.49 / 4 = $28.12 p/person
I just bought this after purchasing the 360 version yesterday.

PC version looks much sharper, and has nicer effects.

Realism mode is really the *only* way to play the co-op campaigns, as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, dumb randoms can be very annoying. I remember playing DC on advanced, it started with one guy jumping off the balcony on the first map. On the second, one just ran off from the group and started meleeing zombies, kept getting caught in spit and other stupid stuff (look a witch, lets shoot it! :/)
Still, I have meet more good players than bad players with randoms. The occasional fuck up can also be quite entertaining :D

Firestorm

Zzoram said:
I'll say this much, Survival is still just as hard as it was before, even with all the new stuff.
Well, #1 strategy was set up and camp from a good position. Then they added the spitter and charger who are there to almost specifically destroy camping.

Alex

When everything clicks in a perfect Infected assault, it's the best feeling there is. Having one guy drug off, one guy charged, one guy too swarmed with zombies to do much and me riding one away across the map from 100 to 0 as a Jockey is hilarious.

mileS

baultista said:
I just bought this after purchasing the 360 version yesterday.

PC version looks much sharper, and has nicer effects.

Realism mode is really the *only* way to play the co-op campaigns, as far as I'm concerned.

Why didn't you just buy it for PC in the first place?

also, not to sound like an ass or anything but of course the PC version is capable of looking sharper. I really don't understand why people feel the need to point this out time and time again when its common sense by now.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Thanks for the game, GAF, had a really good time. Also nice to play a game where I'm not being chastised for not having a mic.

..sorry for all the deaths :lol

Zeke

just spent the last 3 or 4 hours playing dead carnival I just can't beat the end. Survivor AI is just so damn bad, not to mention getting hit by multiple special infected is a pain in the ass. I was taking the tank on and from behind I get hit by a charger so damn frustrating. If it wasn't that a jockey would hit me and soon as the AI killed the jockey I would get pounced on by a hunter.

Zeke said:
just spent the last 3 or 4 hours playing dead carnival I just can't beat the end. Survivor AI is just so damn bad, not to mention getting hit by multiple special infected is a pain in the ass. I was taking the tank on and from behind I get hit by a charger so damn frustrating. If it wasn't that a jockey would hit me and soon as the AI killed the jockey I would get pounced on by a hunter.
As far as I'm concerned the game is impossible with Survivor AI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqyNS7ZdY1A

Nabs said:
is there a reason why you all play w/ bots?

Sega1991 said:
Playing singleplayer with bots allows you to "savor the flavor", so to speak. Play at your own pace. You really get a chance to soak in the atmosphere, stop and read every little detail, and hear all the survivor dialog crystal clear.

I don't think anybody would suggest it's the ideal way to play - this is a game built for playing with real live flesh and blood people. But neither does it invalidate the lure of playing it by yourself with bots on occasion.

The problem is, the bots are embarrassingly stupid. I've seen Counter-Strike Source bots make stupid mistakes in my time, but the L4D Singleplayer bot AI... I don't even have words.

Valve literally implemented the most simplistic, basic, bare-bones bot AI they could get away with.

Zeke

playing with bots wasn't huge deal in the first one at least to me I was able to run thro the entire thing on my own. L4D2 not so much I've only beaten the first campaign so far.

Alex

I don't mind doing public stuff for this, so far the community, on Steam that is, has been pretty nice. I'll probably only do specifics for stuff like campaign expert and/or realism though. Versus has been a treat though, nice, knowledgeable folks.

The bots are indeed dumb as hell though, they're still pretty good shots, but when doing specific map things, they're idiots. They're worse than the original by a fair clip and I assume it'll be fixed.

random stuff:

I don't really like how they structured the vocalize bindings in this one compared to the original though. I've been able to get it all done, but you have to jump through a few hoops for actual script stuff. I DO however, appreciate the spam lockout on it.

Also I had some odd FPS problems before that second patch (not the most recent). My PC is a fair clip dated now (dual core, 8800gtx), but Source games usually fly on it. I was getting dips to 40~ FPS on it when it'd go haywire, which isnt horrendous, but was annoying me since they claimed they could do all this shit without bogging down the engine anymore.

Since the decal or w/e tweak, turning Vsync off I never saw it go under 100 FPS. What the hell button did they forget to flip before sending it out the door!?

Top Bottom