• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

baultista

Banned
mileS said:
Why didn't you just buy it for PC in the first place?

Peer pressure :lol

Two of the guys from my L4D1 crew (which are only on PC) are on another continent for another month. I got the inferior version so that I could play with people I know. When my console-owning friends get bored of L4D2 (soon, given how hyped MW2 is) I'll just sell it.

edit: With all of Ellis's stories, I was hoping that a zombie version of Kevin would appear somewhere in the game.

Dark Carnival Realism Advance was brutal. Took us 3 hours and 9 minutes to complete the campaign with the cost of two survivors. The worst part was the gauntlet to the safe room in the second to last map.
We finally figured out to throw two pipe bombs in front of us between mobs when the gate opened along with a Molotov behind.

Slavik81

Darkky said:
Man, does anyone find the finale for Swamp Fever really hard?

I mean.. it wouldn't have been that bad if there aren't idiots who would activate the finake horde without giving the rest of the team any time to prepare for it.
You should try standing in the hallway on the second floor of the mansion. There's a hall with a hole across the floor on one side, and the main staircase on the other. It's great because zombies can only attack you from two sides, and on one side they have to climb. Plus, you can run away when the tank comes by jumping over the hole, jumping down the hole, or running into the center of the mansion/outside.

ThaiGrocer said:
Dark Carnival Realism Advance was brutal. Took us 3 hours and 9 minutes to complete the campaign with the cost of two survivors. The worst part was the gauntlet to the safe room in the second to last map.
We finally figured out to throw two pipe bombs in front of us between mobs when the gate opened along with a Molotov behind.
I was just playing that.... It was BRUTAL.
I don't know how we made it. They just keep coming. And out of the saferoom no less, so you can't just run past them to safety.

syllogism

In VS you can see the escalator leading up to second level being dynamically placed (on dead center 3, after the "basement" door). Sometimes it's on right and not on left like in that video.

Brainboy

Red Scarlet said:
I must admit, I thought Rez was crazy too, talking about that basement door on Dead Center 3. But I just encountered it too. Didn't do so well. :lol

Huh. We did that level many, many times yesterday (trying to complete it on Expert), and I don't think we ever came across that alternate path.

For the record, we only completed that level when most of us were sick of playing and just ran straight through the level... :lol

The Jimmy Gibbs Jr. zombie was right outside the safe house of Dead Center 4 by the bathroom. He was just chillin' on the wall.

Another thing I forgot to mention: I was playing with two other people and, while in a safe house in Hard Rain (the one before the sugar mill) I jumped on the table with the med-kits and died when I was on its corner...WTF? Has that happened to anyone?

EDIT: Yeah, I meant 4. I haven't really bothered to remember how many chapters each campaign has.

Niblet

http://steamcommunity.com/id/pilliwinks
Show me some friending love GAF. I'd like to play with people who don't enjoy chainsaw massacres before the saferoom door is opened. I'm not that bad. No, seriously.
Also looking to apprentice under someone competent at versus. I don't want to look silly playing the infected anymore :(

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
dragonlife29 said:
Another thing I forgot to mention: I was playing with two other people and, while in a safe house in Hard Rain (the one before the sugar mill) I jumped on the table with the med-kits and died when I was on its corner...WTF? Has that happened to anyone?

Yeah one of my friends did it after seeing someone on the other team accidentally do it.

Blizzard said:
Probably. I almost thought I got better performance in areas in the demo. Lucky you, you can try the demo! (the actual game might be a little more demanding in areas with weather effects though)

Demo, good idea!

Red Scarlet

dragonlife29 said:
The Jimmy Gibbs Jr. zombie was right outside the safe house of Dead Center 4 by the bathroom. He was just chillin' on the wall.

EDIT: Yeah, I meant 4. I haven't really bothered to remember how many chapters each campaign has.

Yeah, Botolf did it on some safe room on hard rain the other day. I still remember a luggage pile doing that to me on Dead Air 5.

Brainboy said:
Huh. We did that level many, many times yesterday (trying to complete it on Expert), and I don't think we ever came across that alternate path.

For the record, we only completed that level when most of us were sick of playing and just ran straight through the level... :lol

Yup, that was my first time not shooting the glass.

Good lord, how much HP does zombie Jimmy Gibbs Jr have? We unloaded like three full clips and then a few melee swipes before he dropped. He has the HP of a tank. :lol

He was waiting for us right outside of the safe room in the DC finale.

I wish there was an option in these games to turn off the special zombies. Personally I'd like the game better to have hordes of the regular kind instead.

gregor7777 said:
Good lord, how much HP does zombie Jimmy Gibbs Jr have? We unloaded like three full clips and then a few melee swipes before he droped. He has the HP of a tank. :lol

He has 1000 HP.

Raydeen

nubbe said:
Damn, L4D2 is hardcore on normal compared to L4D... I've never died and had the team wiped this much

I find it's not the hordes or the SI that whack your team...it's always a random, fucking zombie sneaking up behind who you don't realise is punching and kicking you until you notice your health go to red and you collapse incapacitated. Talking of which, I thought L4D2 was supposed to allow players to crawl when down?!

Zzoram

Raydeen said:
I find it's not the hordes or the SI that whack your team...it's always a random, fucking zombie sneaking up behind who you don't realise is punching and kicking you until you notice your health go to red and you collapse incapacitated. Talking of which, I thought L4D2 was supposed to allow players to crawl when down?!

I have actually seen someone slide around while incapacitated. I have no idea how he does it though, he must be exploiting the code leftover from the crawling feature they cut.

Twig

Banned
Zzoram said:
I have actually seen someone slide around while incapacitated. I have no idea how he does it though, he must be exploiting the code leftover from the crawling feature they cut.
Modded servers if I had to guess.

When you can crawl all you do is literally just press in the direction you want to move. I've been able to do it and I wasn't exploiting anything!!

Niblet

What seems to be a good way to tackle Scavenger mode for ya'll? I haven't played too many games, but I've seen people collecting the far gas cans and then bringing them closer to the objective, but not actually pour them. They do this until time has mostly gone down then they start to pour. The only reasoning I can see behind this is to cut down on back tracking. Couldn't a spitter F this all up though? Speaking of the spitter, how exactly does her acid work in relation to gas cans. Sometimes I have seen here goo destroy them and other times no. Cheers and thanks for the new friends. Promise I'll play a bunch.

Niblet said:
What seems to be a good way to tackle Scavenger mode for ya'll? I haven't played too many games, but I've seen people collecting the far gas cans and then bringing them closer to the objective, but not actually pour them. They do this until time has mostly gone down then they start to pour. The only reasoning I can see behind this is to cut down on back tracking. Couldn't a spitter F this all up though? Speaking of the spitter, how exactly does her acid work in relation to gas cans. Sometimes I have seen here goo destroy them and other times no. Cheers and thanks for the new friends. Promise I'll play a bunch.
Sometimes it's better to pour gas cans straight away and sometimes it is better to leave them nearby - it really depends on the map and the current situation. The Spitter can only destroy gas cans with a yellow glow (Cans that were picked up from the spawn place then dropped), and it takes a few seconds for them to blow. Any cans a Spitter destroys will respawn (I think about 30 seconds?). When placing cans near the objective it's better to spread them out a bit so a Spitter can only destroy one or maybe two max.

Niblet said:

The spitter goo will always destroy cans given enough time.

Throwing cans to a central spot is a bad idea. If you're on a top floor, and have someone down to pour them, then you can toss them. Or if you can get back down there quickly.

Otherwise, having cans on the ground for more than say 10-15 seconds is suicide.

Going long to start isn't a bad idea, as long as everyone is on board. Depends on the map too.

Beaulieu

gregor7777 said:
Good lord, how much HP does zombie Jimmy Gibbs Jr have? We unloaded like three full clips and then a few melee swipes before he dropped. He has the HP of a tank. :lol

Thats weird because Ive encountered him three time at that spot and he died as fast as a normal zombie (360 version)

Beaulieu said:
Thats weird because Ive encountered him three time at that spot and he died as fast as a normal zombie (360 version)

Yeah, we lit his ass up. I had to reload, so I went in with whatever melee weapon I had.

My teammates saw him too, and were shooting. He was the only thing in the hallway.

So he definitely soaked up a lot of damage.

This is going to sound completely noobish but holy fuck this game is hard! I'm not working with the most teamwork oriented people but even on Normal - we were fucking struggling at the Car (oil cans) and Concert sections of Act 1 and 2.

Niblet

Beaulieu said:
Your post has all the necessary information for you to understand this anomaly. ;)
Damn, I feel compelled to save Gnome Chomsky right now.

DevelopmentArrested said:
This is going to sound completely noobish but holy fuck this game is hard! I'm not working with the most teamwork oriented people but even on Normal - we were fucking struggling at the Car (oil cans) and Concert sections of Act 1 and 2.

How much L4D have you played in the past? You on 360 or PC? Teamwork is VERY important. VERY VERY important. One person can ruin a crescendo and massively F up a finale.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Niblet said:

It seems to always depend on how effective the other team is. If this is just talking about Dead Center, then yeah, I'd watch for throwing the cans into the middle unless you had two people go up and two stayed behind to gas. In other levels there's not usually much of a reason to toss cans, but the Spitter is a huge threat either way. She can delay the survivors all the time, just make sure to spit in front of where they're putting the gas a second or two before they do it so they can't finish. The acid interrupts the progress of the gas and then they need to back off and wait, giving the other infected more time. It's also heartbreaking to have spit right in front of that, then having the survivor with a can pounced by a hunter or something to make it fall right into it and ignite, blocking them from adding more gas for awhilre(also, long enough to get more spit!).

Ventrue

Jacking up on adrenalin, scooping up a dropped Gnome Chomsky and making it to the chopper alone while everyone else is incapped by a tank is a good feeling.

Sober

Well, just came out of a pub, they sure made Dark Carnival on advanced look super hard (we restarted DC1 like ... 4 times? Not to mention gnome + roller coaster crescendo = bad idea ... 3 times in a row :lol )

Yesssss, Strength in Numbers! A bit hairy on the second to last map when all but one of their team quit (and we were trying to be gentle, to discourage this), but he stuck around and got two others in, and all was well.

TommyT

Picked this up since I'm back in town finally. I still have a lot of you from L4D, I'll start adding some of the new people tho asap :D

ID: TommyTSquared

MutFox

Banned
Neuromancer said:
I wish there was an option in these games to turn off the special zombies. Personally I'd like the game better to have hordes of the regular kind instead.

It's possible, you can also up the amount of zombies on screen.

Zeke

wow I'm doing the finale for Swamp Fever took out the first tank fend off the second horde wait for the last tank to show. He comes directly north of me and I hit him with a cocktail no biggie. I start to strafe east and BAM I get met with a second tank. He punches right back into the direction of the first one and the first tank kills me :\

atomsk

Party Pooper
Ventrue said:
Jacking up on adrenalin, scooping up a dropped Gnome Chomsky and making it to the chopper alone while everyone else is incapped by a tank is a good feeling.

I had placed him where I thought the chopper always spawned only to realize that it can also spawn on the left side. So I'm standing there holding Gnome and wondering wtf the deal is while the AI bots get slaughtered and then we all die.

Good times

xero273

man I really miss the rain in Hard Rain. I need a new PC.

First time playing realism mode today and it is very fun. Spent a good couple mintues looking for a teammates dropped defib unit and the body.

Zeke

I dunno about the difficulty I can run thro most of the game just fine on advanced finales on the other hand have been my down fall

Top Bottom