• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

Red Scarlet said:
I'll help you out if you want.

I also don't use the pistols at all anymore. They seem way too weak compared to any of the melee weapons and magnum. Only time I go with dualies is if everybody else picks up a melee at the start of Dead Center, so at least someone has a ranged weapon. I've always gone melee on realism, so no idea if the magnum is still one shot or not on that mode. I should try it.
Yup. Pretty much my feelings on it. I will use the pistol more than the "Starting weapon" at the beginning of Dark Carnival. Only 'cuz there isn't any melee weapons right away.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Just got my first expert done with a friend and some helpful bots, umbelievably tense final with 1 bot on 20 temp health far back refusing to get incapped and us 2 on the boat with a stream of horde coming

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
ToyMachine228 said:
Playing more Versus and Scavenge today and I have to say although I love Versus, the poor matchmaking, and people randomly getting disconnected are hurting my enjoyment. Friends randomly get kicked from games, etc. It's hard to finish a game with stuff like that happening. And people constantly quitting and the server shutting down. I think it's the length that causes a lot of problems with people quitting. I mean Versus games can take like an hour to complete.

That's why you make friends with Quick Match. You'll probably end up on a losing team, but your guaranteed to be able to jump right into the action and you'll probably have a damn good connection (I always get under 100 when I quick match)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Jet Grind Radio! said:
Yup. Pretty much my feelings on it. I will use the pistol more than the "Starting weapon" at the beginning of Dark Carnival. Only 'cuz there isn't any melee weapons right away.

I actually think the preorder bat is really helpful. It spawns it at the start of every level, and it's like a gun pickup where there's no limit. Probably another factor of me never using pistols.

darkpaladinmfc said:
They look similar to pistols at a glance, so whenever you come across a 'pistol' just double-check to make sure it is indeed a pistol and not magnum.

Are they actually a fairly frequent drop, then?

Papercuts said:
I actually think the preorder bat is really helpful. It spawns it at the start of every level, and it's like a gun pickup where there's no limit. Probably another factor of me never using pistols.
Well, I didn't preorder. So >=P

Red Scarlet

Papercuts said:
Are they actually a fairly frequent drop, then?

You can usually find a magnum on most levels. Not all if I'm remembering right, but a majority of them. The pistols are mostly black and little, the magnum is grey and has a longer barrel. I'll take a cap.

Pistol pickup (infinite pickups?)
c1m1_hotel0000.jpg

Dropped pistol (single pickup)
c1m1_hotel0001.jpg

Magnum pickup (infinite pickups?)
c1m1_hotel0002.jpg

Just look for the longer barrel and grey colored gun for the magnum. Or the amount of ammo (8 vs 15/30).

TommyT

Red Scarlet said:
I'll help you out if you want.

I also don't use the pistols at all anymore. They seem way too weak compared to any of the melee weapons and magnum. Only time I go with dualies is if everybody else picks up a melee at the start of Dead Center, so at least someone has a ranged weapon. I've always gone melee on realism, so no idea if the magnum is still one shot or not on that mode. I should try it.

Ok, doing this now! Anyone want to play as many campaigns as we can to completion!? If so add me/join game. TommyTSquared

Red Scarlet

It should be at the start of most levels, in the safe room. It's not a special bat, it's just *a* baseball bat; non-prebuyers get no baseball bat (unless they're playing with a person that preordered).

MutFox

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
I want to hit you with a bat, you're still yelling about it! And you have it! I don't even see you using it! :lol

I use it at game start, since it's there.
and all the melee weapons feel a little different. :p

Plus all melee weapons have different damage / range / speed

The ultimate melee weapon is most likely the katana, (For Me)
but still, a weapon should not be missing from your game due to not buying by a certain date.

Red Scarlet

They all seem to do the same damage to me..that being 'kill a zomb if it's in your face in 1 hit'.

You get rid of it asap anyway too.

In my experience on playing Realism/Expert the default pistol is waste compared to any melee weapon. The magnum can be good though. We seem to have the most success with all 4 guys having melee weapons, and then if we find a magnum we go 2 guys magnum + 2 guys melee. Realism/Expert makes me want to cry though, but at least every round is fun and exciting so it doesn't hurt so much when we are having a bad streak. After getting hooked on the difficulty of Realism/Expert though it is hard to go back to the other modes because you don't feel near as much tension anymore. I just wish I had more time to play this great game. :D

MutFox

Banned
Only 1 way to finalize this debate, someone finds all stats for melee weapons online.

OR

We go vs and test every single melee weapon out and note damage to different body parts.

Papercuts

TheGreatDave said:
I've never seen the preorder bat. And...you know, I preordered.

It's at the start of every level. :p

Also...looks like someone found a jesus spot in Dark Carnival. I did it on Expert Realism with bots and ended up making it after a couple tries, it's really odd. I wonder if this will be a repeat of L4D1 where a few finales will have a spot like this.

TheGreatDave said:
I've never seen the preorder bat. And...you know, I preordered.
I preordered also, and I remember seeing the baseball bat in at least the start of every campaign, if not almost all the safe rooms. Check to see if you have the preorder content under the DLC content tab in steam if you go to properties for the game.

MutFox

Banned
Ok, founds these stats done by some random person online.
So don't know how reliable they are...

melee_weapon easy/normal/advanced/expert/versus
fireaxe 0/2/2/7/2
crowbar 0/1/1/5/1 (no ff on first hit)
tonfa 0/1/1/5/1 (random hits make no ff)
electric guitar 0/2/2/7/2
frying pan 0/2/2/7/2
machete 0/1/1/5/1
katana 0/2/2/7/2
cricket bat 0/1/1/5/1
chainsaw 0/1/1/5/1
baseball bat 0/2/2/7/2

And this only accounts for damage - not range or speed (or gibbing ability) :p
+ I have no idea what exactly those numbers mean...
And I think these are only FF damage.

Twig

Banned
Papercuts said:
It's at the start of every level. :p

Also...looks like someone found a jesus spot in Dark Carnival. I did it on Expert Realism with bots and ended up making it after a couple tries, it's really odd. I wonder if this will be a repeat of L4D1 where a few finales will have a spot like this.
Fuck that shit the best part of Dark Carnival finale is running around like a madman climbing up the sniper towers grabbing adrenaline running down the stage grabbing a guitar charging you way to a fallen comrade and then playing tag with the third tank before making it to the copter.

If I ever see anyone camping in any "sweet spot" at that finale I will shoot them. With great prejudice.

TheOneGuy said:
If I ever see anyone camping in any "sweet spot" at that finale I will shoot them. With great prejudice.
That's... kind of the point of the jesus spot. It's unbelievably hard to get to them. :lol

It really sucks and has put me off to playing it in Versus, at least until they fix the spawn issues associated with it.

Twig

Banned
Revolutionary said:
That's... kind of the point of the jesus spot. It's unbelievably hard to get to them. :lol
No I mean if they're on my team I will shoot them.

EDIT: With great prejudice.

Papercuts

Revolutionary said:

It really sucks and has put me off to playing it in Versus, at least until they fix the spawn issues associated with it.

Yeah, I hated what some of the exploits did to L4D1's versus, but I actually don't think this will be as effective for it. The railing seems to stop the spawning after everyone else is dead, but that's more of an AI thing, in Versus you could easily just get the guy on the rail.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Heh, I find it funny that the 'cooler' weapons would end up being useless when an actual apocalypse occurs. :p

Also, protip on the bridge - TO THE LEFT! TO THE LEFT!

TheOneGuy said:
A sledgehammer is basically the only thing I felt was missing.

I would use a sledgehammer.

Always.

Always.
And definitely on Dark Carnival.

You could have a big dipper
Going up and down, all around the bends
You could have a bumper car, bumping
This amusement never ends

I want to be your sledgehammer
Why don't you call my name
Oh let me be your sledgehammer
This will be my testimony

Yeah

Smash88

Banned
darkpaladinmfc said:
Any game with a pre-orderer in it will have baseball bats available :).

:lol

I had no idea that the bat didn't come standard with the game. So far every game I've played came with bats. I thought what they meant by a pre-order bonus was a different skin for the bat, or something, not the actual melee weapon. What the hell is the point of that? Because bats make me want to pre-order oh so much more. :lol

Papercuts

Smash88 said:
:lol

I had no idea that the bat didn't come standard with the game. So far every game I've played came with bats. I thought what they meant by a pre-order bonus was a different skin for the bat, or something, not the actual melee weapon. What the hell is the point of that? Because bats make me want to pre-order oh so much more. :lol

Pre-order bonuses are usually just simple things like that. The way the baseball bats are spawned(infinite amounts at the start of all levels) are why I like them though. Instead of trying to rush for the one or two available melee weapons you can go in knowing you're going to have one if you want.

Red Scarlet

arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh ok I can't beat the roller coaster on 1 player expert, I'll do great then get caught by an SI and the bots are too far away or helping a downed bot. I made it to the button once, but never again. Did have 2 people (Coach then me) get killed by one witch though.

If you want that I can make it for you. It can only be 1:18 long whatever you use (well it can be any length, it'll just loop back to the start of the song after 1:18). I liked Your Affection because it is such a happy sounding song while the Tank is cussing me out.

Papercuts

Red Scarlet said:
arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh ok I can't beat the roller coaster on 1 player expert, I'll do great then get caught by an SI and the bots are too far away or helping a downed bot. I made it to the button once, but never again. Did have 2 people (Coach then me) get killed by one witch though.

The coaster is brutal, but I'd say nothing can compare to the end of DC4 with that endless horde fight to the safe room. I can barely see that being possible with bots.

Red Scarlet

I picked up a chainsaw on DC2 (actually got through that level on the first try) and had about 75% fuel left, but it wasn't enough. :( I did notice right before the ammo, the normal zombies can't climb up the steep part, so I was trying to save my nade for that part..of course I did that one time then lept like a dumbass and incapped myself.

Uncle AJ

Red Scarlet said:
If you want that I can make it for you. It can only be 1:18 long whatever you use (well it can be any length, it'll just loop back to the start of the song after 1:18). I liked Your Affection because it is such a happy sounding song while the Tank is cussing me out.

Nah that's alright, I quite like the stock Tank music. Have you played the Dark Carnival finale without the custom song in yet? There's an awesome rock rendition of the Tank theme you might have missed.

Uncle AJ

Also I just got Guardin' Gnome... not hard at all as long as you designate one person as the Gnome bitch, and toss the gnome over the fence near the safe house of DC4 before you start the crescendo and just pick him up on the way to the door.

Red Scarlet

My finale tank music is a different song, but neither of them play during the Dark Carnival finale; I get the actual rock concert music there. I assume you're talking about steam\steamapps\common\left 4 dead 2\left4dead2\sound\music\tank\midnighttank.wav and onebadtank.wav

I'd like some revenge on Dark Carnival if some folks wanna play expert.

Rahk

Beat Dead Center on expert realism. We had to retry the finale a few times, and in that time my game crashed so I didn't unlock the achievement. :(

Papercuts said:
The coaster is brutal, but I'd say nothing can compare to the end of DC4 with that endless horde fight to the safe room. I can barely see that being possible with bots.
For me DC4 is easy with either the katana or hatchet. They generally have a wide enough range that I can get a few at a time and keep pushing forward.

Or barring that, a shotgun pointed slightly up can do wonders.
I learned that trick from RE.

Top Bottom