• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

Zeke said:
I dunno about the difficulty I can run thro most of the game just fine on advanced finales on the other hand have been my down fall
ellissmilesatgaf.jpg

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Zeke said:
wow I'm doing the finale for Swamp Fever took out the first tank fend off the second horde wait for the last tank to show. He comes directly north of me and I hit him with a cocktail no biggie. I start to strafe east and BAM I get met with a second tank. He punches right back into the direction of the first one and the first tank kills me :\

Get all gas cans
Go to the top of the stairs in the house
Put 1 gas can on the left, the right, and the bottom of the stairs
Zombies can only come up or from the left and right
Specials can't do much, even the spitter, if you're all together and protecting each other
Tanks will come and you just shoot the gas cans that is nearest (keeping in mind there are multiple tanks)
After first tank, just run down and grab the throwables
Soon as you down all the tanks, hustle to teh boat

It was hard when i was doing this myself (idiots won't learn that the stupid mounted gun is useless), but after getting some coordination...well...I survived, but it's not my fault when I tell them to run and they run towards the tanks :p

Massa said:
Apparently the 360 version of L4D2 is much harder than L4D and the PC version of L4D2.

Feels identical to the PC version to me, the only real added difficulty that I can notice is the loss of precision going from kb/mouse to controller. The overall skill level of players when joining a random game tends to vary a lot more too, but playing with reasonably experienced friends (l4d1 veterans) we were able to beat all the campaigns with no problem.

Played my first games of Versus tonight with my L4D crew. Like with the first game, we did extremely well. Loving it once again. My only complaint is the matchmaking. It's slow, and people drop in and out left and right, games end early, etc. Otherwise I'm freaking loving it.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Oh, and I forgot - Infected now can ninja and have "evasion" moves as opposed to the older Infected.

akilshohen said:
I agree, and what is that in your avatar?

Just a drummin'... cougar.

Just had the strangest campaign

Left 4 Dead in space!
Everything was in low gravity
space jumping, Hunters Flying everywhere, Cars flying :lol

image-2B67_4B1397CE.jpg

image-0062_4B1397CE.jpg

image-F34C_4B1397CE.jpg

image-DA79_4B1397CE.jpg

Rahk

After playing for about a week, I don't think it is significantly harder than the original L4D after all (except maybe expert realism). It just took a bit of getting used to the maps, new infected and weapons.

vazel

Banned
Dark Ninja said:
Just had the strangest campaign

Left 4 Dead in space!
Everything was in low gravity
space jumping, Hunters Flying everywhere, Cars flying :lol
I bet it's that same lame server from L4D1 I would get dropped into sometimes. Sometimes I hate mods(and admin powers when they feel like cheating)... wastes my time to load into a server like that then leaving. Wish they had a filter for mods, I read they tried to do that for TF2 but dickish people would circumvent it.

taku

Hard rain and Parish finales (advanced) are really hard. I don't get it, everything else was pretty easy but once you hit that finale, you're toast! Got any tips on either finale?

deleted

Had the weirdest witch glitch yesterday. We just couldn´t kill her. She killed one of us and we pumped all we got but she just started walking away ignoring the bullets...
Bad side effect: We had the "disturbed the witch" music with us the entire chapter. It nearly drove me nuts...

And its kinda hard to find good servers with matchmaking. 9/10 had Pings over 200. How do I activate the server browser again? Activate the console in the options, add "-console" to the shortcut and type "addserverbrowser" into the console?

Raydeen

taku said:
Hard rain and Parish finales (advanced) are really hard. I don't get it, everything else was pretty easy but once you hit that finale, you're toast! Got any tips on either finale?

If your buddies drop...and there not within hand reach....gotta leave 'em to their doom and push on (Parish). Moment you go back your just going to get swarmed or knocked off Bridge by a charger. And have that chainsaw handy for those last moments GETTING TO DA CHOPPER.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Weird, i turned off v-sync in this game. And i'm getting a MASSIVE performance increase on my 7600 gt AMD 4200 2.2 ghz 2gb ram. I'm managing to play on 1680x1080 res at medium settings at around 50-70 fps. (for comparison i was getting 20-30fps on 1280x760 medium with v-sync on). Not getting any screen-tearing either.
Frame-rate is a little in-consistent though, but it's still far better then playing on my old settings.

Rahk

You really just have to keep moving on Parish. Take a shotgun and melee weapon and never stop unless absolutely necessary. During the tank, just run past it on the planks on the side.

taku

Don't save buddies, got it. Come to think of it, that's how I died on both Hard Rain and Parish finale ;'(

Walshicus

taku said:
Don't save buddies, got it. Come to think of it, that's how I died on both Hard Rain and Parish finale ;'(
Had a chance to make it solo to the helicopter in The Parish on our first playthrough... was asked not to so that we could restart and get us all there. Big mistake - we weren't able to get nearly as close the other times we tried.

taku

Sir Fragula said:
Had a chance to make it solo to the helicopter in The Parish on our first playthrough... was asked not to so that we could restart and get us all there. Big mistake - we weren't able to get nearly as close the other times we tried.
Yeah, I was asked to commit suicide on the first try and we were pretty close. On the third (or fourth) try we were riiiight at the end and they begged me to turn around and get them out of trouble, which didn't end well, haha..

kay

xyla said:
Had the weirdest witch glitch yesterday. We just couldn´t kill her. She killed one of us and we pumped all we got but she just started walking away ignoring the bullets...
Bad side effect: We had the "disturbed the witch" music with us the entire chapter. It nearly drove me nuts...
It's a bug when you don't kill the witch in one hit with incendiary ammo. Should be patched soon I would believe, I think Valve knows about it already.

Ookami-kun said:
Infected now can ninja and have "evasion" moves as opposed to the older Infected.
Special infected? The hunter always had the jump away move, I haven't seen any other infected do anything resembling that.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I fid it quite irritating when you are trying to run away and 1 zombie begins hitting you in the back to slow you down, so you murder him and there is magically another zombie at your 6 oclock while you murder the first zombie, rinse and repeat.

Also, the pistols are fucking worthless compared to the melee weapons, does anyone ever take these?

Rubashov

kay said:
Special infected? The hunter always had the jump away move, I haven't seen any other infected do anything resembling that.

I think he's referring to the strafing the common infected can do now. They won't all just run at you in a straight line anymore.

This game definitely gets easier. I tried the Parish on Normal last night just to make it to the chopper for once, and it was laughable.

Forget about the infinite shoves from the first game: the melee weapons are ridiculous. I never get pistols anymore. Can you imagine playing the first game with axes? Holing up in a closet would be even more of a snooze-fest.

kay

Rubashov said:
I think he's referring to the strafing the common infected can do now. They won't all just run at you in a straight line anymore.

This game definitely gets easier. I tried the Parish on Normal last night just to make it to the chopper for once, and it was laughable.

Forget about the infinite shoves from the first game: the melee weapons are ridiculous. I never get pistols anymore. Can you imagine playing the first game with axes? Holing up in a closet would be even more of a snooze-fest.
I think that is just a path problem, sometimes they seem to have trouble getting to you in a way that makes the most sense.

Yeah, the regular pistols are not as valuable as they were previously but the magnum is good to use, especially in realism mode as it kills in 1 hit. I think you can't shoot as fast with dual pistols as you could before either so I would only recommend taking a regular pistol if everyone else has melee weapons.

The magnum seemed great at first, but after a while it honestly doesn't seem that useful in most scenarios. Double pistols and melee weapons are much faster, more versatile, and more reliable to use when you have to bring out a secondary in a pinch.

Cimarron

Has anyone ever tried loading this onto a Macbook (not a Macbook Pro) in windows xp via boot camp? If so how is the performance?

Twig

Banned
The magnum is easily more useful than dual pistols. It reloads very fast, and it one-shots the commons... There's no comparison.

Rubashov

kay said:
I think that is just a path problem, sometimes they seem to have trouble getting to you in a way that makes the most sense.

I've certainly seen it happen in an open area. If this is just a pathing issue, then it's disguised pretty well as some evasive action. I whiffed a few melee swipes in the beginning because of a zombie sidestepping me at the last moment. I just thought it was a nice little twist to their behavior. I used to be able to sit tight with a shotgun and reload patiently as I watched every zombie run straight to me in a predictable line, then blast them at close range. Now they seem to be a little smarter than that.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'll also admit I never use pistols in this game anymore. I feel too vulnerable otherwise, because I never want to let the zombies get a hit in so I can't rely on the melee that fatigues.

Does Magnum consistently kill on body shots in Expert Realism? I haven't played enough of it yet.

Dual pistols is good for spraying a horde at long range, lined up at head level you will kill a lot more than the magnum, especially if the horde is spread out a bit. Of course, the assault rifles and combat shotgun will do the same job better, but sometimes you need to conserve ammo, espeically if you've got a laser sight on your gun and don't know where the next ammo pile is.

Overall I mix them up quite a bit, and take whatever I feel like using.

XenoRaven

Does anyone else have "You gotta reach for the top! Stay on the mountaaaiiin! Na na naaa naaa na na na naaaaaaa!" stuck in their head?

Another advantage of pistols is the extra strength when incapped. The Magnum is still accurate and it's piercing qualities can help when you are being kicked by mass infected.

TommyT

Ok, so assuming I don't have any GF complications I REALLY
REALLY REALLY REALLY
want to start and finish all the campaigns tonight... anyone up for this as well :D?

Papercuts

darkpaladinmfc said:
Another advantage of pistols is the extra strength when incapped. The Magnum is still accurate and it's piercing qualities can help when you are being kicked by mass infected.

I could see the magnum being helpful at points, but even with a melee weapon you still spawn a normal pistol.

Papercuts said:
I could the magnum being helpful at points, but even with a melee weapon you still spawn a normal pistol.
A magnum is so much stronger than a single normal pistol, killing a far away SI is quite easy with it.

Red Scarlet

TommyT said:
Ok, so assuming I don't have any GF complications I REALLY
REALLY REALLY REALLY
want to start and finish all the campaigns tonight... anyone up for this as well :D?

I'll help you out if you want.

I also don't use the pistols at all anymore. They seem way too weak compared to any of the melee weapons and magnum. Only time I go with dualies is if everybody else picks up a melee at the start of Dead Center, so at least someone has a ranged weapon. I've always gone melee on realism, so no idea if the magnum is still one shot or not on that mode. I should try it.

Papercuts

darkpaladinmfc said:
A magnum is so much stronger than a single normal pistol, killing a far away SI is quite easy with it.

I'll need to try using them more. I rarely see them drop though, or I just don't notice.

Playing more Versus and Scavenge today and I have to say although I love Versus, the poor matchmaking, and people randomly getting disconnected are hurting my enjoyment. Friends randomly get kicked from games, etc. It's hard to finish a game with stuff like that happening. And people constantly quitting and the server shutting down. I think it's the length that causes a lot of problems with people quitting. I mean Versus games can take like an hour to complete.

Papercuts said:
I'll need to try using them more. I rarely see them drop though, or I just don't notice.
They look similar to pistols at a glance, so whenever you come across a 'pistol' just double-check to make sure it is indeed a pistol and not magnum.

Top Bottom