• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

Zzoram said:
wow apparently we no longer get campaign credit if we die before escaping in the finale

Yeah. I've died running to the escape vehicle in 3 of the 5 campaigns the first time through. Now I save a pipe bomb and adrenaline.

indeed.

infact there was a bug where what are you trying to prove (survive all 4 campaigns on expert) was working for people who didnt survive the campaign. so there was a point were i was 3/4 on that achievement yet i didnt have zombicidal maniac (survive a single campaign on expert) and again just as we were finishing the last one (BH i believe) i went down AGAIN as the rescue came. my m8 refused to let me get the probably unique achievement of having one without the other got off shot everything off got me up only to die himself heh.

of course what are you trying to prove later on became glitched to sin and i lost it and i really couldnt be bothered to go at it again.

Whatever they did with that last update, the crash to desktop problem is spreading. We had three or four people drop out of our Expert game just now. Even though we got to the finale, crashes meant no one could actually get the achievement, even if they did survive.

Valve acknowledge the problem.

Best fan thread on the subject (just hit 20 pages).

I wonder if this is in any way related to my framerate inexplicably dying about half an hour into any game these days, which is the same problem my friend also has now.

Red Scarlet said:
Ok I'm just destined to never 'survive' Hard Rain if I'm playing with Botolf.
HAHA! Yeah, well I'm back from visiting the folks if ya'll want to get another Hard Rain run going, I'll be up for it.

Amir0x

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
The problem I'm running into is that while almost my entire friends list bought L4D1 only myself and 3 other friends bought L4D2 and my other friends have to be dragged kicking and screaming from MW2 in order to play with us. It's just not as fun this time around.

i'm glad I don't have such a problem. The entire crew I always played with purchased L4D2 on day one, and now that the servers are fixed and non-laggy, we're having more fun than ever.

Most of them are pretty big Modern Warfare fans as well, though I'm not. But when it comes to online team multiplayer, nothing matches L4D for our group.

Speaking of team multiplayer... 4x4 matchmaking is so fucking great. It's so nice to be teamed up against people who, well, stay together. But man they need to work in some penalty for quitting team 4x4.

Me and my group were playing a bitter game on Dark Carnival, where we were always just either a few points ahead or a few points behind.

Finally, we pull out ahead of this team with a brutalizing on the rollercoaster. It's still perfectly manageable - with the new score system, all they have to do is prevent us from getting on the helicopter and make it themselves.

So I end up being the only person to make it on the helicopter, I get away. And then the other team all quits out. If they all made it to the helicopter, they would have won. What is the purpose of that shit? Playing all that time just to quit when you might lose?

The L4D fanbase on 360 are some pussies. I was enjoying myself so much with the challenge for once I totally would have stayed and congratulated them on their win if they pulled it off. Because it was earned. But these motherfuckers have no goddamn standards.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
im going to say though i love, i repeat, love, l4d2, i love l4d more

Most likely because of the nostalgia factor of everything being so brand new and so awesome

DarkKyo

It's a real shame this game doesnt have party matchmaking for less than 4 players. My friend and I tried to hop into a versus together today and it took us 20+ minutes to find one to play in. We could never get one because there are either no spaces left for another person or its on the other team. And lobbies take a long time to populate, especially with impatient douchebags leaving because the game isnt full yet.

Just a thought.. Give us more matchmaking valve! Maybe even quickmatch matchmaking!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Starting to like the Charger a lot more. He does a TON of damage, easily capable of taking green aura'd survivors to incap, which no one else(sans the tank obviously) can do. I do wish you could slightly steer the charge because you have to be dead on to hit so long range charges have no advantage over a point blank one, but eh.

Flynn

Papercuts said:
Starting to like the Charger a lot more. He does a TON of damage, easily capable of taking green aura'd survivors to incap, which no one else(sans the tank obviously) can do. I do wish you could slightly steer the charge because you have to be dead on to hit so long range charges have no advantage over a point blank one, but eh.

There's nothing more fun than charging a survivor off a hotel ledge. And chargers, hallways are your friend.

Amir0x

Banned
As far as Chargers go, they need to fix it so that a Charger can charge someone who is reviving a survivor. In 360 version when you try, you get stopped as if you hit a wall. Which is fucking dumb! We tried multiple times always the same result, so this needs to be fixed.

Cynar

Amir0x said:
As far as Chargers go, they need to fix it so that a Charger can charge someone who is reviving a survivor. In 360 version when you try, you get stopped as if you hit a wall. Which is fucking dumb! We tried multiple times always the same result, so this needs to be fixed.

You can charge people helping others up on the 360 version. I've done it several several times. Perhaps there was something else in your way or there was lag or something?

Papercuts

Amir0x said:

That's weird, because I do that all the time. Maybe you hit something random, which is still my biggest issue with him. A lot of random stuff to get stuck on that you can't really see.

EazyB

Banned
The human AI in L4D2 blows chunks. Good God, how did they take a step backwards from L4D1 in this respect? Half of my time spent with L4D1 was playing on normal difficulty splitscreen with my girlfriend and we did fine. In L4D2 we struggled through the first campaign and the subsequent ones had many occasions where we'd get wiped. Even on easy we have to restart once or twice. The problem is the AI is as good as worthless when it comes to following people and freeing them from jockies, hunters, and smokers. It seems L4D2 throws more special infected but that'd be fine if the AI wasn't stupid as fuck.

Amir0x said:

That happened to me once, but later I did it again and got them, not sure what happened the first time (if there was something small/invisible in the way or not).

EazyB said:
The human AI in L4D2 blows chunks. Good God, how did they take a step backwards from L4D1 in this respect? Half of my time spent with L4D1 was playing on normal difficulty splitscreen with my girlfriend and we did fine. In L4D2 we struggled through the first campaign and the subsequent ones had many occasions where we'd get wiped. Even on easy we have to restart once or twice. The problem is the AI is as good as worthless when it comes to following people and freeing them from jockies, hunters, and smokers. It seems L4D2 throws more special infected but that'd be fine if the AI wasn't stupid as fuck.

What's weird is that this behavior actually started with Crash Course in L4D1, people would get pounced or pulled by a smoker and the AI would stand around and do nothing there just like they sometimes do in L4D2.

Flynn

EazyB said:

The AI always sucks when you're losing.

I've noticed that the AI kills way more regular infected in L4D2 than in L4D1.

Amir0x

Banned
Papercuts said:
That's weird, because I do that all the time. Maybe you hit something random, which is still my biggest issue with him. A lot of random stuff to get stuck on that you can't really see.

me and my friends tried repeatedly over and over and over throughout two campaigns to do it, wondering what could possible be preventing it. It seems like a fairly simple thing. But no matter what the situation was, if the survivor is being rescured or in the second right after he/she is picked up, the Charger would smash against them as if we were hitting a wall.

It happened to us all at least seven times in two campaigns, with not one successful attempt at pulling a survivor attempting to rescue someone.

There is no way we were hitting something else.

Maybe there is some small window we have to try to aim our Charger at to get him. Maybe he bumps against the survivor on the floor? But even in THAT case, you should be able to run right over a downed survivor.

Papercuts

Amir0x said:
me and my friends tried repeatedly over and over and over throughout two campaigns to do it, wondering what could possible be preventing it. It seems like a fairly simple thing. But no matter what the situation was, if the survivor is being rescured or in the second right after he/she is picked up, the Charger would smash against them as if we were hitting a wall.

It happened to us all at least seven times in two campaigns, with not one successful attempt at pulling a survivor attempting to rescue someone.

There is no way we were hitting something else.

That is really weird, because I have ended quite a few games with a charge on a person picking another up. The only thing I can think of is the downed survivor is the "wall" that's stopping you, so I guess move more to the side or just outright behind the survivor helping another up and try again. Not really sure what else it could be.

Oh, you edited. :p

Yeah, I'll try to down a survivor and charge at just him to see if that causes a bounce back. Wouldn't really make sense for that to happen though.

ArjanN

I think the AI is just the same, but the problem is the crescendo events where you have to run & shoot. The AI just doesn't keep up with you.

Also, then there's the two new special infected now (the jockey and the charger) that can grab you. I find that a little annoying, I know it's there to force you to work together, but I think it would have been less frustrating if they could have, say, let you mash buttons to slowly free yourself or something. Now, if the AI or human teammates are being dumb it's kind of frustrating to sit there waiting to die. Especially since being jumped is quite often unavoidable.

Amir0x

Banned
If it is the downed survivor doing it, then that should still be patched - charger is a fucking bull, he should be able to trample a pitiful downed survivor.

JudgeN

Wasn't this game suppose to change the layout each game? Ive always gone the same way every time just like L4D1. Or was I mistaken?

Red Scarlet

Someone said it confused playtesters? So they toned it down to just different little ways through a map? I did the commentary the other day but never really heard them say that.

Expert continues to amaze me :lol Just tried it a couple hours ago with an online buddy and two bots on Dead Center. The farthest we got was inside/a little outside the building beyond the dumpster :lol We got so many tanks and I shot a witch point-blank once on my last legs because the color made me think she was a regular zombie. We toned it down to Advanced and made it to the end but we kept losing due to stupid decisions.

Fun stuff, though.

Oh, and I also got WING AND A PRAYER :D I thought it'd be pretty hard to get but it was quite easy :eek:

Also, Scavenge is the best thing ever.

Red Scarlet

Expert's a bit more manageable with 4 people..it's pretty suicidal to try with even 1 bot.

Only campaign I can survive on Expert is the one I've already done (Dead Center).

thetrin said:
Nope, only people who survive get credit. It's always been that way.

I could be wrong I guess, but I'm around 98% sure that initially, at least on the 360 version, you did not need to survive all the way, only one person did and everyone would get it counted. I do remember that after the last patch (or second to last patch) it no longer worked like that. So perhaps it was a bug for all of us playing, or well.. I dunno.

Zzoram

Red Scarlet said:
Someone said it confused playtesters? So they toned it down to just different little ways through a map? I did the commentary the other day but never really heard them say that.

They should've kept it as an optional mode. Maybe Realism+ or something.

vesp

I liked l4d well enough but the constant dark and cramped areas combined with the crazy, hectic screaming streams of zombies kinda made me hate playing it when winding down at night so I really didn't stick with it very long.

L4D2 is fucking awesome. It solves most of my problems with it, and I'm always willing to hop on if theres a friend or two that want to play versus. Scavenger is pretty awesome too.

Red Scarlet

Biglesworth23 said:
I could be wrong I guess, but I'm around 98% sure that initially, at least on the 360 version, you did not need to survive all the way, only one person did and everyone would get it counted. I do remember that after the last patch (or second to last patch) it no longer worked like that. So perhaps it was a bug for all of us playing, or well.. I dunno.

Well, I always remember people would sometimes get it if they survived up until the second Tank in a finale (in 1), but not always. That's what I imagine people have been talking about. I've never trusted that (I've seen it happen and it not), so I'd just always recommend outright making it onto the escape vehicle instead. And even then, you are not safe until the screen goes black!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I know that, for instance, the mall in Dead Centre varies slightly each time. Sometimes you trigger the alarm by breaking the glass on the second floor, sometimes it's by opening a door on the bottom floor.

Twig

Banned
Rez said:
I know that, for instance, the mall in Dead Centre varies slightly each time. Sometimes you trigger the alarm by breaking the glass on the second floor, sometimes it's by opening a door on the bottom floor.
I've never not broken the glass. O:

Red Scarlet

A rather helpful thing to do for the Dead Center 3 event is to let the specials clump up by the glass, then toss a molotov at it..that won't break the glass and will get rid of them.

didn't realize there was a l4d2 thread on gaf :D

Just got the game yesterday for the PC and was wondering if anyone wanted to play (I suck, btw and no mic).

Papercuts

Is it just me or does Dead Center 3 always have a SHITLOAD of SI? Like, way more than the usual amount for other levels.

Darkky

Man, does anyone find the finale for Swamp Fever really hard?

I mean.. it wouldn't have been that bad if there aren't idiots who would activate the finake horde without giving the rest of the team any time to prepare for it.

Oh! I forgot to mention this, but I encountered the Jimmy Gibbs Jr. zombie! :eek: I thought, "Hey, this zombie looks kinda different" but didn't give it much thought and shot it, only for Ellis to scream "NNNOOOOOO!!!" :lol I only realized it was him upon closer inspection.

Blizzard

Banned
666 said:
Hey if L4D 1 works on my PC with Steam, should L4D2 work as well?
Probably. I almost thought I got better performance in areas in the demo. Lucky you, you can try the demo! (the actual game might be a little more demanding in areas with weather effects though)

Concept17

dragonlife29 said:
Oh! I forgot to mention this, but I encountered the Jimmy Gibbs Jr. zombie! :eek: I thought, "Hey, this zombie looks kinda different" but didn't give it much thought and shot it, only for Ellis to scream "NNNOOOOOO!!!" :lol I only realized it was him upon closer inspection.

Where does he show up anyway? Does he just come with a horde, or is he camping out somewhere?

Papercuts

dragonlife29 said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHSnNJVgTZM

There's a bunch of people who forced it to spawn, but I never knew he could normally show up. :lol

Zeke

dragonlife29 said:
thats freaking awesome Ellis is hands down my favorite character, I love the little stories he tells about Keith. I swear its like hearing my cousin talk sometimes :lol

Top Bottom