• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

Red Scarlet said:
My finale tank music is a different song, but neither of them play during the Dark Carnival finale; I get the actual rock concert music there. I assume you're talking about steam\steamapps\common\left 4 dead 2\left4dead2\sound\music\tank\midnighttank.wav and onebadtank.wav

I'd like some revenge on Dark Carnival if some folks wanna play expert.
I'd help if I could. =(

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Mo the Hawk said:
Nah that's alright, I quite like the stock Tank music. Have you played the Dark Carnival finale without the custom song in yet? There's an awesome rock rendition of the Tank theme you might have missed.

The songs in the Dark Carnival finale are broken into multiple parts with a solo that can go on infinitely for the tank, so it might be a little complicated.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
DC4 and other running crescendos are actually the places where chainsaw will save your ass. Or at least melee + adrenaline. Machete/Pan will make you plow through the horde easily.

Also, why do people hate on blunt weapons? Just because you don't see the zombies decapitated doesn't mean it doesn't instant kill!

deleted

Ok, I think this may be old, but I just recognized that L4D2 is the only game in my steam list that has DLC under properties.
Is this in all newer steam games? Is DLC already announced for L4D? And most importantly: Will it cost?

Rahk

xyla said:
Ok, I think this may be old, but I just recognized that L4D2 is the only game in my steam list that has DLC under properties.
Is this in all newer steam games? Is DLC already announced for L4D? And most importantly: Will it cost?
They've said they want to support L4D2 more than they did L4D, so I'm sure we'll be seeing DLC in the future.

They've never done paid DLC before, doubt they would start now.

Xdrive05

So what's the story on L4D2 Add-Ons and modding? I remember the devs saying that this game would be far better equipped for custom content than the last. It looks identical to me.

epmode

xyla said:
Is this in all newer steam games?
I think so. I've definitely seen it in game profiles that will never, ever have DLC.

Just started playing this and it doesn't grip me like L4D1 did, and i'm not that interested to be honest... Weird, L4D was my favorite game for ages. We'll see how we go.

666 said:
Just started playing this and it doesn't grip me like L4D1 did, and i'm not that interested to be honest... Weird, L4D was my favorite game for ages. We'll see how we go.
I know what you mean. For me, the campaign in L4D1 was way better. I don't really like these new kind of finales and the longer levels.

Maybe I just have to play some more, but then again Versus clicked with me right away so I don't know about that. The new special infected are a lot of fun to play with.

Picked it up for 360 the other day. Played through two or three of the campaigns last night, then hopped into VS for a good couple of hours.

Overall, it's immensely superior to L4D1. Love the melee weapons, love the new items. The characters are hilarious, too. Ellis is a riot. As much as I don't want to say it, I think I prefer the new characters over the first game's. I'm digging the different ammo types. Didn't expect to like them, but they end up working really well.

So far my only gripes with the game are the level designs themselves, and the new infected.

Level design. It's far less organized this time. The thing I loved about the original was that you always knew where to go. The levels were very straightforward. The constant nighttime allowed the use of lightposts, headlights, etc, to guide you. Here, though, I'm none too keen on aimlessly wandering through a carnival or swamp simply because it's not immediately apparent where I need to go next.

What I DO like, however, is that the levels have a lot more personality to them this time. Makes it a lot of fun to play through them.

Also, LOVE that there's an established progression through each campaign. Starting the second campaign by ditching the car from the first. The bit about the helicopter pilot. Little details to be sure, but they go a long way in polishing the experience.

Now, the new infected. Love them dearly. They're a lot of fun to play.

Problem is Versus mode. There are too many infected to play as here. Makes it difficult to really coordinate spawn times because you're not able to accurately predict what you'll be in your next turn. I love the variety it injects, but I don't know. It's weird.

The Blue Jihad said:
Problem is Versus mode. There are too many infected to play as here. Makes it difficult to really coordinate spawn times because you're not able to accurately predict what you'll be in your next turn. I love the variety it injects, but I don't know. It's weird.

If you have charger/jockey/smoker/boomer your plan is essentially the same as the old days of hunter/hunter/smoker/boomer. It's when you have spitter + boomer and only two 'pinning' special infected that things change a bit.

Personally I think spitter adds a lot more to what the infected can do tactics-wise, and what the survivors have to be prepared to deal with, and I love the added complexity.

I do feel that the charger can be extremely difficult to use correctly and requires a really experienced player to fully take advantage of, but to offset this the spitter is virtually noob proof, any player can take that one and do something with it.

Zeke

Papercuts said:
The coaster is brutal, but I'd say nothing can compare to the end of DC4 with that endless horde fight to the safe room. I can barely see that being possible with bots.
took me a good hour and half if not longer to finish that part on advanced with bots. Bots wait to far behind to be of any help if you get pounced or hit by a charger and by the time they do get to you (if they do) you're laid out with the horde kicking your face in. I tired a few different combo's to get thro that part. I tried rushing thro like a mad man (fail), tried sticking with the bots (fail), tried using the gas can to fend off a rush (so close), tried using the axe to melee my way thro (so close again), tried shotgunning my way thro (fail), and finally what worked for me after a few attempts, axe + shot + pipe bomb. The bots all got incapped but I made it to the safe room and waited for them to die.

TommyT

I'm stuck at home today (and probably tomorrow) with a sickness... perfect excuse for some l4d2! I'll be on if anyone wants to play.

Xdrive05 said:
So what's the story on L4D2 Add-Ons and modding? I remember the devs saying that this game would be far better equipped for custom content than the last. It looks identical to me.
L4D2 Authoring Tools are still in closed beta right now and they should be out some time before Left 4 Dead 3. I'm salivating over some of the news about it.

Artadius

If anyone is looking to get in some infected play practice... my old WoW guild has a Steam group private dedicated server that is modded to allow the following:

*8 player slots
*Allow at will switching between survivors and infected in coop mode (so you can play as infected only throughout the whole time)
*Up to 8 survivor bots vs. 8 infected players (or any combination thereof)
*If all bot survivor team, they will progress normally, but will not activate most 'pressables' like the hotel elevator. This requires someone to switch to survivor side to 'help' them along. They also do not handle most rolling crescendo events well (cola rescue, carnival stadium gate rush, etc..) so some maps either need a player to lead them on those maps or we just skip them completely.
*Bots don't rage quit if you roll them over and over and over. It's not a cake walk though, they can and have made it through maps before as well.

We have insane amounts of fun every night running with around four to six players on infected against eight bot survivors. Bad thing is the bots have eyes in the back of their head which can make sneaking up on them almost impossible... but its also extremely fun because of the chaos that can ensue as a result of all the bots+players.

Makes for a good sandbox for testing infected strategies though which is the main point.

If you're interested, send me a friend request (steam name Artadius). I'm also already in the GAF and GAF L4D groups. I think you should be able to join the games when I'm on the server...otherwise, we'd need to add you to our steam group ( http://steamcommunity.com/groups/exileguild ) to ensure you can get on the server (it's restricted to the group so its not public).

We're also still trying out other mods almost nightly to see any other wild things we can do. We had a point system in testing last night that awarded you points for how well you played which you could buy for perks. It was buggy though so we disabled it for now.

EDIT: Also, we have a private vent server we use for chatting in game. We prefer it far more than the built in voice... so please have a headset/mic available.

syllogism

Been playing team vs recently and it's generally pretty fun. Unfortunately most teams rage before the end, but we did play a pretty good game earlier until the end. Both teams were speed running pretty effectively, but it was fun despite the first two maps ending with both teams surviving. Not a mode I would be interested in playing without a good team though.

Small patch just went out for PC gamers:
# Fixed case where game failed to launch in certain machine configurations
#Fixed bug where a burning witch could get into a state where she's invincible
# Fixed bug where bots would not shoot at Jockeys and Chargers while approaching to save a teammate

No CTD fix yet...

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Gaf i need one more expert for the achievement, dark carnival, and i need 3 good men/women who dont mind endless restarts on the map4 crescendo

Hit me up on steam ill be around for the next 4/5 hours as i want this bitch tonight!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/ZombieTurtle/

1-D_FTW

Revolutionary said:
Small patch just went out for PC gamers:

No CTD fix yet...

Okay. So the bots refusing to shoot chargers and jockeys was a bug and not a new AI feature. That's nice to know. Maybe the AI will go back to L4D1 levels of ineptness now.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I love being the charger and spitter in scavenger. It seems like a lot of people don't realize that the charger is completely immune to melee, just running around smacking people is extremely effective with him. ESPECIALLY in overtime--I've had more than a few matches end with me just smacking the last person trying to pour the gas, they try to melee me off to no avail, then they just toss it down to shoot me without realizing they just lost. :lol

123rl

The 360 version badly needs an update to balance the game in Versus mode. I love the game but it's so frustrating sometimes when games go one way instead of the other due to a glitch/error/AI fuckup

oracrest

So I finally picked this up yesterday because I was really excited to play a game that takes place in Savannah. I lived there for five years, and it really is one of the most beautiful cities in America that I have seen.

Man, what a huge disappointment.

Not that I expected anything close to an accurate street layout, or anything crazy like that, but there is literally NOTHING in the levels that I have played that reflects the location. No spanish moss, no historic architecture/cobblestone paving, not even a single garden square that the city is famous for.

The game is still fun, but for me, the real selling point was seeing how they pulled the city off, especially since the locales of the game seemed to be a big deal about this one.

:(

sav02.jpg

sav03.jpg

sav04.jpg

Red Scarlet

oracrest said:
So I finally picked this up yesterday because I was really excited to play a game that takes place in Savannah. I lived there for five years, and it really is one of the most beautiful cities in America that I have seen.

Man, what a huge disappointment.

Not that I expected anything close to an accurate street layout, or anything crazy like that, but there is literally NOTHING in the levels that I have played that reflects the location. No spanish moss, no historic architecture/cobblestone paving, not even a single garden square that the city is famous for.

The game is still fun, but for me, the real selling point was seeing how they pulled the city off, especially since the locales of the game seemed to be a big deal about this one.

:(

sav02.jpg

sav03.jpg

sav04.jpg

Dead Center is the only one in Savannah.
Where's all the outrage for how The Parish doesn't look like New Orleans? Or does it? I sure don't know.

vertopci

Why is the L4D2 hunter so fucking shit?

L4D1 hunter can fucking curve and stuff. L4D2 hunter can't do shit. What a weak bitch.

vertopci said:
Why is the L4D2 hunter so fucking shit?

L4D1 hunter can fucking curve and stuff. L4D2 hunter can't do shit. What a weak bitch.
I always fail to jump right now :( I don't get what they did to him :(

vertopci

Caesar III said:
I always fail to jump right now :( I don't get what they did to him :(

They nerfed him. You don't have anywhere near as much control in the air as you did in L4D1. Plus with the new weapons, killing/skeeting hunter is easy as hell.

Red Scarlet

Can the Hunter still 1 wall jump upward or do that 'kai jump'? And can it do the side hop like in the demo? I never remember to try that stuff.

vertopci

Only wall jump since that doesn't require any of the advanced hunter techs. Kai jumping isn't really possible anymore. At least not in any useful way.

In conclusion, L4D2 hunter is shit and should be replaced by the L4D1 hunter.

vertopci

TheOneGuy said:
wat is kai

horizontal kai jumping = walljumping off a wall, curving back onto the same wall, repeating. You can "walk" on buildings with this. Allows you to get 25 damage pounces from otherwise impossible spots, for instance right outside the saferoom in BH1.

vertical kai = same thing but you go upwards. Fairly useless since there's an easier way to move upwards.

edit: also what slavik said :lol

I agree with Vert and Stallion. At first I was skeptical to go back to L4D1 but then once I did I was amazed at how much better it is than L4D2. L4D2 still has good things and I'm definitely not done playing it but I think L4D1 is just all around better when talking about VS.

vertopci

BrightYoungThing said:
I agree with Vert and Stallion. At first I was skeptical to go back to L4D1 but then once I did I was amazed at how much better it is than L4D2. L4D2 still has good things and I'm definitely not done playing it but I think L4D1 is just all around better when talking about VS.

Panda, your GAF name is lame.

<3

Sober

Holy crap, do I just suck or is the DC4 crescendo event (rush to the stadium) freaking insane even on Advanced? The gates open and the first time we get some BS spitter spawn (none of us can hit her while she spits down on us) and at the end we are met by a tank and charger, but just to advance we used all our throwables.

Also, I started using the Desert Eagle, holy crap, it's basically a hunting rifle in your pistol slot. You can seriously stop mini-hordes with only the 8 rounds in that thing!

Top Bottom