• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

Red Scarlet said:
Yeah we were giving it a 3rd try for me to survive the campaign on expert. 4th time's the charm maybe.
My patience is almost infinite, but deadlines loom. I could tell my head was out of the game (either that, or Twig is exceptionally good at running in front of my firing paths. Maybe this weekend, if you haven't gotten it already. =(

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Tenks said:
I'm not arguing that a 4 person boom makes your life a ton easier. There is no way to argue against that. Boomer is, by far, the most important SI in any attack. A good or even decent boom can turn the tides of any attack. That is simply a fact. However a decent charge can have similar effects. If a charger grabs one and knocks back two and a hunter pounces on the fourth that will give the hunter free reign for at least 4-5 attacks. That's pretty decent damage.

Booming seems more like a crutch for not-so-great teamwork by the infected. Sure he can make good teamwork absolutely crushing (like I said, he is by far the most important SI) and decent teamwork pretty harmful but in the end L4D2 gives enough options with the increased amount of SI to make many combos viable.

Charger is in no way shape or form a viable boomer replacement. Boomer is not at all a crutch for weak teamwork, I feel it is a need for good teamwork. We aren't high-level players or anything so we don't have immaculate timing and boomer allows us to still effectively attack without landing attacks within 1 second of each other (which is necessary against a half decent group of survivors). A lot of the combos given by the AI director feel pretty useless, especially with the hunter and smoker feeling much weaker.

Nabs said:
eh. why would it scare you from 1? l4d1 was all about timing and coordination, not hunter techs.

I don't know, it all just seemed out of my league. And Versus takes some getting used to on top of that so I was a little, I don't know, just scared a little?

Love that Versus mode.

I really need to play this more.

I had been playing that damned MW2 like crack the past week.... haven't really devoted much time to L4D2

Proven

Stallion Free said:
Charger is in no way shape or form a viable boomer replacement. Boomer is not at all a crutch for weak teamwork, I feel it is a need for good teamwork. We aren't high-level players or anything so we don't have immaculate timing and boomer allows us to still effectively attack without landing attacks within 1 second of each other (which is necessary against a half decent group of survivors). A lot of the combos given by the AI director feel pretty useless, especially with the hunter and smoker feeling much weaker.

Charger, like the Boomer, takes a lo of experience to avoid a lot of fail openings, but right now if you use him specifically to knock around survivors rather than drag them off like a reverse Smoker, then the others can get in. It's just, unlike the Boomer, the timing necessary for that to work is a lot smaller.

When you don't get a Boomer, just focus on damage to on or two people get the respawns to cycle. Have someone charge and immediately spit on whoever was knocked, and then drag, jump, or pounce whoever might have not been knocked.

I am agreeing with the sentiment that I'm enjoying Scavenge more, but it's probably just because it's easier to pub with the shorter rounds.

Cimarron

They need a ranking system with levels man. I suck at versus and I hate being matched up with good players w/ me being an anchor around my team matesneck! :( Newb playground FTW! I appreciate a little trial by fire education but it sucks to be trying to learn a game only to get the boot because I am stinking up the place.

Nabs

Cimarron said:
They need a ranking system with levels man. I suck at versus and I hate being matched up with good players w/ me being an anchor around my team matesneck! :( Newb playground FTW! I appreciate a little trial by fire education but it sucks to be trying to learn a game only to get the boot because I am stinking up the place.

360 or pc?

Twig

Banned
RocketDarkness said:
My patience is almost infinite, but deadlines loom. I could tell my head was out of the game (either that, or Twig is exceptionally good at running in front of my firing paths. Maybe this weekend, if you haven't gotten it already. =(
I'm impatient. Also I like to be Rambo when I play L4D.

It's basically almost always my fault. :D

EDIT: Except when Volcano Man is playing. Then it's always his fault.

taku

Cimarron said:
Haha yeah, I'm kind of in the same boat. I have no idea how to play versus and I don't want to drag down the team..

Tenks

There are actually very few complete asshole jackasses in the L4D community. Most are pretty cool. Just let them know ahead of time you're new so don't expect miracles and you'd like some advice. Every now and then theres a douche who will do nothing but yell at you but hey it's the internet. As long as you're willing to take direction and listen to your team mates you'll pick it up fast.

Firebrand

Just tried Versus in L4D1 after picking it up during the sale and ... uh... not the best experience. People getting kicked left and right, "omg noobz" etc. Was having fun, doing fairly well, our team was leading (in large part thanks to me), then suddenly, BAM votekicked.

Seems like it could be great fun with people you know though.

Tenks said:
I'm not arguing that a 4 person boom makes your life a ton easier. There is no way to argue against that. Boomer is, by far, the most important SI in any attack. A good or even decent boom can turn the tides of any attack. That is simply a fact. However a decent charge can have similar effects. If a charger grabs one and knocks back two and a hunter pounces on the fourth that will give the hunter free reign for at least 4-5 attacks. That's pretty decent damage.

Booming seems more like a crutch for not-so-great teamwork by the infected. Sure he can make good teamwork absolutely crushing (like I said, he is by far the most important SI) and decent teamwork pretty harmful but in the end L4D2 gives enough options with the increased amount of SI to make many combos viable.

Somewhat off topic since I don't play L4D2 at a high level do hunters still kill people 5 feet away under boomer bile even with good players? It seems like I always try to find the at least one good person on my team and stay near him just for cases like that. Seems like only the idiots on my team can't figure out I just got pounced while boomed. They're too concerned with just swinging their baseball bats at the horde instead of actually accomplishing something.
If you're playing against a good team, boomer is a must if you want to have a successful attack. Unless you're attacking by a ledge, a good team of survivors will take minimal damage from any attack that doesn't involve a good boom. Trying to have a successful attack without a boomer is like trying to have a good offense in football without offensive tackles. If you outmatch your opponents, sure you could conceivably get away with it. But if you face a half-way decent team you stand no chance.

And in reference to your point about chargers being replacements for boomers. They serve a similar purpose in that they can split up a team of survivors with a good charge. But unless you incap the survivors that you knock back, the diversion caused by the charge is only momentary and as I said before, a good team will be able to easily counter such a move.

The boomer acts to:
1. split up a team and cause confusion by summoning a horde. This effect lasts much longer than even the best of charges.
2. disorient any players who are boomed by blocking their vision, thus making it difficult in some cases to see team mates who may need help.
3. through a combination of points one and two, providing long-lasting cover for SI to attack and or split up the party further.

No other SI has this level of power and no other SI is as essential against a good team because of it.

Red Scarlet

Boonoo said:
That wasn't a problem. It was a beautiful, beautiful feature.

It was never taken out, just altered. You wouldn't do more (double?) the damage while on fire unless it was fire from a gas can or molotov. You couldn't wall jump while on fire though.

Tenks said:
Somewhat off topic since I don't play L4D2 at a high level do hunters still kill people 5 feet away under boomer bile even with good players?

Very, very rarely in 1. In tournaments, teams usually get boomed, hit the hunters off, and run forward through the horde brought by the boom.

MNC

God I wish I could play more gaf but I hardly ever have time for long sessions so I'm scared GAF will rage if I have to quit so soon :( Plus timezone's a bitch

cramcakes

TheOneGuy said:
I'm impatient. Also I like to be Rambo when I play L4D.

It's basically almost always my fault. :D

EDIT: Except when Volcano Man is playing. Then it's always his fault.

:lol

I've been playing this way on normal lately. People get all mad and "try" to help me do better because I'm all over the place. Then the between round stats come up and I have close to 3 times the kills as them.

I behave during VS and higher difficulty runs though.

duckroll

Okay, so today something dawned upon me, and several of my friends who play this. L4D lacks a drop button. It's really weird, and something that wasn't particularly noticeable in the first game because you either had a weapon/item in that slot, or you didn't. Very few choices. In L4D2, they added so many new options that it becomes really obvious that there is a logic flaw now. There is no logical reason why you should not be able to pick an item up and drop it somewhere without having to use another item of the same class to swap. It doesn't make the game harder, it makes the game more annoying and illogical. In terms of both realism and gameplay, there is no reason why a drop button should not be patched in.

Any thoughts on this?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
duckroll said:
Okay, so today something dawned upon me, and several of my friends who play this. L4D lacks a drop button. It's really weird, and something that wasn't particularly noticeable in the first game because you either had a weapon/item in that slot, or you didn't. Very few choices. In L4D2, they added so many new options that it becomes really obvious that there is a logic flaw now. There is no logical reason why you should not be able to pick an item up and drop it somewhere without having to use another item of the same class to swap. It doesn't make the game harder, it makes the game more annoying and illogical. In terms of both realism and gameplay, there is no reason why a drop button should not be patched in.

Any thoughts on this?

What do you mean by this? If you pick up a pipe bomb when you have a molotov it swaps it for you.

Red Scarlet

Well, you can juggle stuff, if that's what you're talking about. It makes some finales a bit easier, like when the ammo is at the stage on Dark Carnival, I'll just juggle the medkits and pills/shots to the stage anyway so everything's over there. You could juggle nades in 1 (made survival a bit easier) but I haven't tried that in 2.

Fireye

Papercuts said:
What do you mean by this? If you pick up a pipe bomb when you have a molotov it swaps it for you.

But what if you want a pipebomb when there's no pipebombs around, and your teammate has one? There's no way to exchange weapons, grenades, or melee/pistols.

Edit: No way to exchange, without having a similarly classed item around to make you drop your current weapon/item

duckroll

Papercuts said:

Pipes and Molys are both of the same class. They're grenades. Like Bile bombs too. What I mean is, sometimes you want to drop what you are carrying, to either let another player take it, or to move things around before a finale. There is no logical reason to NOT be able to do this, because it wouldn't hurt the game at all. Also, if I have a melee weapon, and I suddenly prefer to use pistols, you cannot exchange between players even if another player is willing to trade for your melee. A drop button would totally take care of this.

yeah, a drop button would be nice. For example is someone is low on health and has an adrenalin shot, you can't give them pills. Or swapping grenades.

cramcakes

duckroll said:

Any thoughts on this?

It's probably so you can't horde all the grenades and health in some remote corner for finales.

edit: A trade button would be nice at times.

duckroll

cramcakes said:
It's probably so you can't horde all the grenades and health in some remote corner for finales.

A friend suggested that to silence statements like this, they should simply introduce a 10% chance of any grenade type weapon you drop going off by accident! :lol

Artadius

Yeah, its pretty lame when survivors insist on hoarding health packs and nades into an area. The levels are balanced to put them in certain locations / distances apart.

Red Scarlet

You might like this vert, was just posted at l4dnao:

Crow has created a plugin from recycling bits and pieces of Frustians mod for L4D1 and brought it over to L4D2, allowing you to control item spawns.

How to use this plugin:
annoy_Defib 1 will remove defibs from the map, setting it to 0 will keep them.
annoy_Ammo 1 will remove special ammo from the map, setting it to 0 will keep them.
annoy_Medkits 1 will remove extra director spawned medkits and convert them into pills, setting it to 0 will keep them.

You can download the file here : http://www.l4dnao.com/index.php?site=files&file=21

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
duckroll said:
Pipes and Molys are both of the same class. They're grenades. Like Bile bombs too. What I mean is, sometimes you want to drop what you are carrying, to either let another player take it, or to move things around before a finale. There is no logical reason to NOT be able to do this, because it wouldn't hurt the game at all. Also, if I have a melee weapon, and I suddenly prefer to use pistols, you cannot exchange between players even if another player is willing to trade for your melee. A drop button would totally take care of this.

Yeah, I was misunderstanding. I could see that, or maybe let players swap with eachother with everything ala painpills.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
MNC said:
God I wish I could play more gaf but I hardly ever have time for long sessions so I'm scared GAF will rage if I have to quit so soon :( Plus timezone's a bitch

Actually our games have been lasting about an hour and a half for the most part, sometimes less. If you can't stay the whole time we can usually grab someone to finish in your spot.

duckroll said:

Any thoughts on this?

the absolute biggest problem with this is survival mode.

if you allow a drop button in this mode then you can run around the map before it starts and stash them all in one corner/spot and have done with it. this would allow for far better times then the current arrangement. atm it forces you to leave your area to get resources and as such adds risk to the game and makes it better!

i understand your concern and the fact it makes it illogical however it makes it better gameplay wise that it doesnt exist.

MNC said:

how long can you play and what is your timezone?

Rexaur

duckroll said:

Any thoughts on this?

If this were possible, what's preventing players from going into finales are something where there are piles of molotovs or pipebombs lying about and just dumping them all in a corner for easy access? Yes, it's illogical to not have the option, but it would cause further problems.

The solution for this is the ability to pass throwable items to other players (BOTS!) just like you can with pills and adrenaline.

edit: also, I wish that there were action commands for bots (ex. throw pipebomb/pass pills/heal).

duckroll

Okay, I can see how a straight drop would cause problems in certain modes. A trade button is definitely welcome though. Basically I feel that with the introduction of more item types in L4D2 in general, the lack of the ability to just pass something to a team mate or exchange something with what a team mate has, is something which feels like a missing feature or a bug. I really hope it can be addressed in some form eventually.

cramcakes

Rexaur said:
If this were possible, what's preventing players from going into finales are something where there are piles of molotovs or pipebombs lying about and just dumping them all in a corner for easy access? Yes, it's illogical to not have the option, but it would cause further problems.

The solution for this is the ability to pass throwable items to other players (BOTS!) just like you can with pills and adrenaline.

edit: also, I wish that there were action commands for bots (ex. throw pipebomb/pass pills/heal).

Dammit, just a "come hear" and/or "stay here" would be fantastic.

Speaking of illogical, not sure if this has been discussed before but I find it odd that if you drop your pistols for a melee weapon, when you are incapped you somehow still have a pistol in your hand. Seems like a huge flaw.

xero273

Panda Bear said:
Speaking of illogical, not sure if this has been discussed before but I find it odd that if you drop your pistols for a melee weapon, when you are incapped you somehow still have a pistol in your hand. Seems like a huge flaw.

yea, those damn magical pistols always mess me up when going for the melee weapon achievement.

duckroll said:
Okay, I can see how a straight drop would cause problems in certain modes. A trade button is definitely welcome though. Basically I feel that with the introduction of more item types in L4D2 in general, the lack of the ability to just pass something to a team mate or exchange something with what a team mate has, is something which feels like a missing feature or a bug. I really hope it can be addressed in some form eventually.

again i see what you mean but part of the fun is having the resources shared. i assume you mean that one person would have all the medkits while another would have all the pills? in versus if someone could stack molotovs on one guy for example i can jsut see that guy getting targetted! i dont know. i can see the element of logic this would bring but i dont see what it would actually add to the gameplay.

Speaking of being incapacitated, why can't we move anymore??

Anyway, if they do add in the ability to use the melee weapons on the ground, then it should damage for less. Only makes sense (full body force vs arm strength)

duckroll

Blue Geezer said:
again i see what you mean but part of the fun is having the resources shared. i assume you mean that one person would have all the medkits while another would have all the pills? in versus if someone could stack molotovs on one guy for example i can jsut see that guy getting targetted! i dont know. i can see the element of logic this would bring but i dont see what it would actually add to the gameplay.

No, maybe you should try reading more carefully before replying, since it's a waste when you're replying to something which no one has actually proposed at all...

1-D_FTW

cramcakes said:
Dammit, just a "come hear" and/or "stay here" would be fantastic.

You mean like the dialogue tree of Wait/Let's Go? It's a mystery why those directions don't apply to the bots.

Revolutionary said:
Speaking of being incapacitated, why can't we move anymore??

Anyway, if they do add in the ability to use the melee weapons on the ground, then it should damage for less. Only makes sense (full body force vs arm strength)
My server has crawling turned on. It's pretty awesome.

1-D_FTW

:( Hadn't played in a couple of days and forgot that one of their updates rebroke my game and I get the continuos BEEP crash. This really sucks. Nice to know I have a 50/50 chance of having the computer need a cold shutdown from this bug.

duckroll said:
No, maybe you should try reading more carefully before replying, since it's a waste when you're replying to something which no one has actually proposed at all...

ah you mean direct trades of items? meh i dont see the problem. i can see it being more of a problem putting one in. imagine people could trade their adrenaline for pills without any consent... you would have people running around "trading" off each other just because someone swapped a molotov for a pipe bomb.

Red Scarlet

Nabs said:
I really liked the "Clear!" bind from L4D. Is it somewhere in L4D2?

Not that I can see, which sucks since I used that a lot for "no items in here". Now I just say "no" and hope that my teammates understand that's what I'm talking about.

Got a death charge on deadc finale, was kind of satisfying doing what happened to me my first time. Hit them all too, somehow. They were really split up and one guy duped me into spawning but I still got them!

scatteringram.gif

Damn, about 1 foot farther on Rochelle and it would've been a team wipe.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
That charge doesn't seem to work for me...

I've also experienced the 'ally helping incapped ally on ground invisible wall running into' glitch.

I remember one group standing there shootin zombies, and as soon as I charged them, I seemed to hit an invisible wall...nothing like blowing by all of the survivors in your gif.

Top Bottom