• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The Hunter definitely doesn't seem as good as his L4D1 counterpart(then again I feel like the Smoker got it even worse), but one interesting thing I noticed is a backroll he does if you melee him off. He does a backflip that can go into an instant pounce again-- But then I found this. I don't remember this being in 1 at all though...is it actually a glitch?

Rubashov

The mudmen didn't impress me much for the first few runs, but I started respecting them in realism mode. Get hit by a couple of them at once and you can't see jack.

Are the personal stats being restored? I noticed the previous lost achievements were all coming back, but now I think my total playtime just jumped to 42hrs in the past couple of days. That might be my true total.

Is it possible to take damage so minor that you don't even lose a hit point, perhaps from friendly fire? I ask because I have completed the objective necessary for "Wing and a Prayer" at least 4 times yet have never been awarded the achievement. Anybody else have trouble with that one?

Cynar

a Master Ninja said:
Is it possible to take damage so minor that you don't even lose a hit point, perhaps from friendly fire? I ask because I have completed the objective necessary for "Wing and a Prayer" at least 4 times yet have never been awarded the achievement. Anybody else have trouble with that one?

It feels like it's bugged sometimes. An easy way to do it is play with a friend on easy, the person who wants the achievement stays in the safe room and closes the door. Your friend goes with bots or other players and does the event. The person in the safe room will get the achievement when it's over. Did this for a friend who was having trouble with it even though he wouldn't get hit and it worked for him. :lol

Slavik81

a Master Ninja said:
Yes. You can take friendly fire without taking damage. Usually from being hit by pistol fire, or standing near an explosion...

Red Scarlet

Plus if you're using pills, your HP is ticking down and that may count against it, not sure.

I hate Dark Carnival so much right now. :|

Zzoram

Red Scarlet said:
Plus if you're using pills, your HP is ticking down and that may count against it, not sure.

I hate Dark Carnival so much right now. :|

I hope I didn't mess it up. It seems Expert was a breeze with your team though, I was only there for ~2 chapters and they were both beaten on the first try.

Sibylus

Banned
a Master Ninja said:
Don't take pills or shots during the event, make sure you health is static the whole way through.

Red Scarlet

Zzoram said:
I hope I didn't mess it up. It seems Expert was a breeze with your team though, I was only there for ~2 chapters and they were both beaten on the first try.

Yeah we were giving it a 3rd try for me to survive the campaign on expert. 4th time's the charm maybe.

Sibylus

Banned
We're getting better at it, at least. The really hard DCarn4 event was completed in the first try, whereas yesterday it kicked our asses something like a dozen times.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Botolf said:
Don't take pills or shots during the event, make sure you health is static the whole way through.

Also, from what I heard, you should be within the plane's vicinity, but I could be wrong.

Daigoro

Amir0x said:
i'm glad I don't have such a problem. The entire crew I always played with purchased L4D2 on day one, and now that the servers are fixed and non-laggy, we're having more fun than ever.

Most of them are pretty big Modern Warfare fans as well, though I'm not. But when it comes to online team multiplayer, nothing matches L4D for our group.

you need to set your damn NAT to open so i can join your games dammit!

syllogism

vertopci said:
Only wall jump since that doesn't require any of the advanced hunter techs. Kai jumping isn't really possible anymore. At least not in any useful way.

In conclusion, L4D2 hunter is shit and should be replaced by the L4D1 hunter.
Kai jumping was worthless anyway; in fact almost all the hunter techs were.

taku

taku said:
Hard rain and Parish finales (advanced) are really hard. I don't get it, everything else was pretty easy but once you hit that finale, you're toast! Got any tips on either finale?
So last night, I played both campaigns once again. We succeeded in every possible way, not dying, not having to restart on any of the campaigns and most importantly, we had a great time.

I guess it's time to move on up to Expert. I bet I'm going to be cursing a whole lot from now on..

vertopci

syllogism said:
Kai jumping was worthless anyway; in fact almost all the hunter techs were.

No they weren't. They may not have been useful in every map, but the hunter techs had a use in most. Main use being able to pounce from spots that aren't so common so that survivors don't see you coming and don't shoot you out of the air.

Plus vertical wall jumping was useful as all fuck. Saves so much time not having to climb those infected ladders and easy way to quickly increase pounce damage. Plus curving is considered an advanced tech. And curving is probably the most important part of a hunter's pounce in L4D1.

Plus playing against someone who can do the hunter push tech is a pain in the ass :lol

Only real tech that was uselesss is the vertical kai, since vertical wall jumping is far easier to do.

Volcynika

Panda Bear said:
I agree with Vert and Stallion. At first I was skeptical to go back to L4D1 but then once I did I was amazed at how much better it is than L4D2. L4D2 still has good things and I'm definitely not done playing it but I think L4D1 is just all around better when talking about VS.

Oh god no.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I've been playing some 16 player versus games and man, they're so much more chaotic and fun. 8 Survivors and 8 Infected makes the amount of different infected at once much funnier. The amount of people also helps because there's less chance that your entire team is compromised of idiotic morons.

I'm liking it much more than regular versus. I still think that regular Scavenge is the better mode tho.

vertopci

Volcynika said:
Oh god no.

L4D1 will remain better for VS until they fix the bullshit infected spawning shit. There needs to be a boomer every 4 or 5 infected spawns. I had a game where both teams got 3 hunters, 2 smokers, 2 chargers, 2 spitters, and 2 jockeys before even a single boomer. :/

Volcynika

vertopci said:
L4D1 will remain better for VS until they fix the bullshit infected spawning shit. There needs to be a boomer every 4 or 5 infected spawns. I had a game where both teams got 3 hunters, 2 smokers, 2 chargers, 2 spitters, and 2 jockeys before even a single boomer. :/

That's not really 'bullshit infected spawning shit', the fact that there's more options as SI means the chance of spawning as a specific one is just low. Probability and such. Learn some math!

JudgeN

I always though the hunter was too powerful in L4D1 especially when that mother fucker was on fire. I think the balance is much better in this game.

Nabs

JudgeN said:
I always though the hunter was too powerful in L4D1 especially when that mother fucker was on fire. I think the balance is much better in this game.
they fixed that problem a really long time ago.

vertopci

Volcynika said:
That's not really 'bullshit infected spawning shit', the fact that there's more options as SI means the chance of spawning as a specific one is just low. Probability and such. Learn some math!

No it's fucking bullshit. The only infected capable of holding its own in L4D2 is the charger.

Jockey is useless without boomer unless there is a ledge nearby. Hunters can easily be killed with the new weapons. Spitter goo is easy to avoid. Smoker tongue can easily (moreso than in L4D1) be broken.

So yea, there needs to be a damn boomer every 4 or 5 spawns instead of this random bullshit.

JudgeN

Nabs said:
they fixed that problem a really long time ago.

Shit, really guess I stopped playing L4D1 before this update.

vertopci said:

Maybe bad luck? I never had a game were we didn't have a boomer ever 5-6 spawns or so. Hell I seen hunter the least in my L4D2 VS experience.

Volcynika

vertopci said:
No it's fucking bullshit. The only infected capable of holding its own in L4D2 is the charger.

Jockey is useless without boomer unless there is a ledge nearby. Hunters can easily be killed with the new weapons. Spitter goo is easy to avoid. Smoker tongue can easily (moreso than in L4D1) be broken.

So yea, there needs to be a damn boomer every 4 or 5 spawns instead of this random bullshit.

:lol

"Probability doesn't work for me all the time!"

Artadius

vertopci said:

lol wow dude, what's your steam name so I can make sure and never play with you.

vertopci said:

Chargers are fucking easy to kill, man, and why does each Special Infected need to be able to "hold its own"? Isn't this supposed to be, you know, a teamwork based game?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I was discussing this with Vert last night and Boomer is critical to attacks. Spitter became fucking useless the second teams realized they could rush through maps fairly easily. In fact the spitter would probably be more useful in L4D1 than in L4D2. A lot of the crescendos are gauntlet style and survivors only seem to group up in the Dark Carnival finale. She is also pretty useless when there is a tank as well. Don't get me wrong, there are some spots through out each campaign where spitters can be fantastic, but random spawn doesn't help that and the spots/situations are far and few between.

Fuck me this crash bug is annoying. It wouldn't be quite so bad if it didn't take my PC 2-3 minutes to recover properly and get the game back up and running.

Tenks

Stallion Free said:
I was discussing this with Vert last night and Boomer is critical to attacks. Spitter became fucking useless the second teams realized they could rush through maps fairly easily. In fact the spitter would probably be more useful in L4D1 than in L4D2. A lot of the crescendos are gauntlet style and survivors only seem to group up in the Dark Carnival finale. She is also pretty useless when there is a tank as well. Don't get me wrong, there are some spots through out each campaign where spitters can be fantastic, but random spawn doesn't help that and the spots/situations are far and few between.

I agree with this 100% but you can argue that all the SI become significantly more effective under a boomer bomb. I mean even as a hunter I can generally x8 attack the crew because they can't see me. The spitter, imo, is the one that most relies upon other SI. If a hunter gets a decent pounce and then you spit on the human as well that is alot of damage done.

The spitter seemed hugely effective, brinking on overpowered, the first few days of the game but now that people have figured it out you have to be alot more discerning about your spits. Making a claim like you require a boomer to have an effective attack completely mises the point. Sure he makes attacks better and easier but I wouldn't say he's a requirement.

LosDaddie

Banned
Just wanted to say this game is awesome....even in single player. I just got the game last weekend and I'm playing through Dead Center alone to get comfortable with the controls.

Really fun. I got stuck at the part where you're in the mall trying to shut off the alarm. I died 3x before quitting last night. Tough, yet fun. :D

syllogism

vertopci said:
No they weren't. They may not have been useful in every map, but the hunter techs had a use in most. Main use being able to pounce from spots that aren't so common so that survivors don't see you coming and don't shoot you out of the air.

Plus vertical wall jumping was useful as all fuck. Saves so much time not having to climb those infected ladders and easy way to quickly increase pounce damage. Plus curving is considered an advanced tech. And curving is probably the most important part of a hunter's pounce in L4D1.

Plus playing against someone who can do the hunter push tech is a pain in the ass :lol

Only real tech that was uselesss is the vertical kai, since vertical wall jumping is far easier to do.
Uh the hunter push tech pretty much completely worthless since it pretty much requires frame specific timing which is impossible (or at the very least you'll fail so many times it's just not worth the risk) against moving survivors. There were few spots where vertical climbing was worth it and with kai jumping you lose some precision regarding timing so you might waste some seconds during which they might save a team mate. I suppose they are good for impressing pubbies.

Stallion Free said:

Disagree. Spitter isn't just for dealing huge amounts of damage to grouped up survivors. Even if you don't hit them, the spit virtually acts like a wall, and using spit as a temporary barrier is a great way to box in Survivors or slow them down if you need more time to coordinate or spawn. Hallways, corridors, doorways, in front of or on top of incapped players, during tons of crescendos when they need to keep moving, etc.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Tenks said:
Making a claim like you require a boomer to have an effective attack completely mises the point. Sure he makes attacks better and easier but I wouldn't say he's a requirement.

The only time you wouldn't need a boomer is when the AI director allows you to have 4 infected that can grab survivors (like the 3 hunter + 1 smoker combo in L4D1), which he rarely does. Other than that the use of the boomer usually makes or breaks the attack. I have watched tanks struggle to incap more than one person after a boomer fails to distract for him. I have watched beautiful pounces get knocked off near instantly because a failed boom. On the other hand I have seen a 4 person boom lead to a hunter pouncing and incapping someone when help was 3 feet away. Maybe it's just because of the boomer consistently being given in L4D1 and our decent strategies that I am a believer in his importance and necessity.

Tenks

Stallion Free said:
The only time you wouldn't need a boomer is when the AI director allows you to have 4 infected that can grab survivors (like the 3 hunter + 1 smoker combo in L4D1), which he rarely does. Other than that the use of the boomer usually makes or breaks the attack. I have watched tanks struggle to incap more than one person after a boomer fails to distract for him. I have watched beautiful pounces get knocked off near instantly because a failed boom. On the other hand I have seen a 4 person boom lead to a hunter pouncing and incapping someone when help was 3 feet away. Maybe it's just because of the boomer consistently being given in L4D1 and our decent strategies that I am a believer in his importance and necessity.

I'm not arguing that a 4 person boom makes your life a ton easier. There is no way to argue against that. Boomer is, by far, the most important SI in any attack. A good or even decent boom can turn the tides of any attack. That is simply a fact. However a decent charge can have similar effects. If a charger grabs one and knocks back two and a hunter pounces on the fourth that will give the hunter free reign for at least 4-5 attacks. That's pretty decent damage.

Booming seems more like a crutch for not-so-great teamwork by the infected. Sure he can make good teamwork absolutely crushing (like I said, he is by far the most important SI) and decent teamwork pretty harmful but in the end L4D2 gives enough options with the increased amount of SI to make many combos viable.

Somewhat off topic since I don't play L4D2 at a high level do hunters still kill people 5 feet away under boomer bile even with good players? It seems like I always try to find the at least one good person on my team and stay near him just for cases like that. Seems like only the idiots on my team can't figure out I just got pounced while boomed. They're too concerned with just swinging their baseball bats at the horde instead of actually accomplishing something.

TheOneGuy said:
I'm glad you were around to do this for me.

I feel the same way reading this sort of stuff sometimes. But I am getting way more into Versus here in 2. That sort of thing scared me right away from 1.

Nabs

BenjaminBirdie said:

I feel the same way reading this sort of stuff sometimes. But I am getting way more into Versus here in 2. That sort of thing scared me right away from 1.

eh. why would it scare you from 1? l4d1 was all about timing and coordination, not hunter techs.

Top Bottom