• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

fallout

dLMN8R said:
Is anyone else getting major stuttering? It's annoying the hell out of me, and I can't for the life of me figure out why it's there >:-(
Try turning off dual-core rendering if it's on. It was terrible at first for me, but it's since been fixed. Might be broken for you, now!

darkpaladinmfc said:
I think 10, but I'm not 100% sure.

Yeah it's 10.

Here's the melee damage per swipe for the infected in versus mode

Tank = 24
Charger = 10
Hunter = 6
Smoker/Boomer/Spitter/Jockey = 4

Charger also does 10 damage when he hits someone with a charge (whether it's the one person he 'carries' or anyone who is just knocked down), and 15 damage every time he pounds someone he has in his hand after he's stopped charging (in versus mode).

vertopci

wayward archer said:
My favorite charger tactic is to spawn right around a corner from someone, boomer-style, then run up and punch them 2 or 3 times, then charge while right in their face. Optimally you've got a lot of space behind them so your charge can separate the mark from the group and pound them several more times before they get you. As long as they don't have a melee weapon out (if they do, consider charging early), you will do massive damage before you go down.

Charger punch = awesome.

I do this but I sometimes when I charge from right in their faces, my charge just stops before it even starts to move like I hit an invisible wall or something. Not sure if meleeing the charger at the right time is capable of just stopping him like that or what, but that's all I can think of.

Tenks said:
Yeah unless I can pick up a magnum there's no way I'm rolling around with pistols. Unless I have the god awful tier1 shotgun. God that thing is a piece of shit.

There are two tier 1 shotties. The chrome shotty is fucking amazing. The normal pump shotty...not so much :lol

Sibylus

Banned
vertopci said:
Not much of a horde if one person can take them out in a couple seconds :/

Not to mention the small ass horde only comes every 30 to 45 seconds. It might as well have ended on it's own.
Yes, fairly easy to do if your objective is to cool your heels in the room, not so easy if you're going for the alarm and any delays can turn into a zombie clump and trouble. You're going to have to leave the room at some point, so there you go. The zeds will start jamming up critical escalators and doorways and that's where things have the highest potential to go wrong.

vertopci

Botolf said:
Yes, fairly easy to do if your objective is to cool your heels in the room, not so easy if you're going for the alarm and any delays can turn into a zombie clump and trouble. You're going to have to leave the room at some point, so there you go. The zeds will start jamming up critical escalators and doorways and that's where things have the highest potential to go wrong.

They don't jam up shit since the zombies are always running towards you. And all of them are coming from the same direction. The remaining zombies are easy as hell to wipe out

Sibylus

Banned
vertopci said:
They don't jam up shit since the zombies are always running towards you. And all of them are coming from the same direction. The remaining zombies are easy as hell to wipe out
Uh, they do. On the DC3 event it's quite frequent to have zombies jamming up escalators and doorways.

vertopci

Botolf said:
Uh, they do. On the DC3 event it's quite frequent to have zombies jamming up escalators and doorways.

I've tested it on expert coop and in versus. They don't jam up anything. Maybe they jam up during the initial waves, but afterwards the small useless batches dont jam up anything. And even if those small useless batches did jam something up, it wouldn't matter since it takes at most two seconds to kill them. Because they are small useless batches.

wayward archer said:
Yeah it's 10.

Tank = 24
Charger = 10
Hunter = 6

Charger also does 10 damage when he hits someone with a charge (whether it's the one person he 'carries' or anyone who is just knocked down), and 15 damage every time he pounds someone he has in his hand after he's stopped charging (in versus mode).

charger hits multiple people with his swing through right? just like the tank?

i could swear he does either that or im going crazy.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Ok guys lets stop fighting, the Vert is right, it totally breaks the crescendo. We did it last night and there were maybe 20 zombies we encountered on our way from the room we hid in all the way up to the alarm. That is 20 very spread out common zombies.

LaneDS

Question: I bought a retail copy of L4D2 on PC for my little brother as an Xmas gift. I'd like to get him the game early. If I open the game, is there a way for him to take the CD key (assuming there's one included) and download the game from Steam? Guessing not, but it'd save me the hassle of shipping him the game.

Anyone know what the deal is there?

vertopci

Blue Geezer said:
charger hits multiple people with his swing through right? just like the tank?

i could swear he does either that or im going crazy.

I think all infected melee can hit multiple people. Every infected but the tank has AOE melee like the survivors normal melee. Tank can hit multiple people but doesn't have the AOE hit the others do.

vertopci

LaneDS said:
Question: I bought a retail copy of L4D2 on PC for my little brother as an Xmas gift. I'd like to get him the game early. If I open the game, is there a way for him to take the CD key (assuming there's one included) and download the game from Steam? Guessing not, but it'd save me the hassle of shipping him the game.

Anyone know what the deal is there?

Assuming L4D2 retail is the same as L4D1 retail, the DVD is pretty much useless. Just enter the cd key into steam and he should be able to download the game. At least that's how it was with L4D1.

edit: pressed new reply instead of edit :(

LaneDS

vertopci said:
Assuming L4D2 retail is the same as L4D1 retail, the DVD is pretty much useless. Just enter the cd key into steam and he should be able to download the game. At least that's how it was with L4D1.

edit: pressed new reply instead of edit :(

Cool, thanks. I think he'll live if I open it and find out that's not the case. Possibly.

Sibylus

Banned
vertopci said:
I've tested it on expert coop and in versus. They don't jam up anything. Maybe they jam up during the initial waves, but afterwards the small useless batches dont jam up anything. And even if those small useless batches did jam something up, it wouldn't matter since it takes at most two seconds to kill them. Because they are small useless batches.
I've played the event multiple times on Expert coop (with actual people, and not one game with zombie-baiting-aim-botting AIs) and commons created jams in several spots. Most often the doorway of the switch room. When your team is low on kits and already hurting these jams can be very deadly. I'm speaking from personal experience here, and as far as coop goes you have very little to rely on ;).

DC3 on Expert is long and tough. You're lucky if you arrive at the start of the event with any kits at all, and most of your team will probably be wounded. It's not like Versus, where you're racing across the map at every given opportunity and your healthkits will generously cover a lot of your mistakes. One clump of zombies and a rampaging SI on the event easily has the potential to create a total wipe, because Expert isn't nearly as forgiving as Versus is, especially in the damage compartment.

Coop is an equally important part of the game to a hell of a lot of people (including Valve), try to remember that.

Botolf said:
I've played the event multiple times on Expert coop (with actual people, and not one game with zombie-baiting-aim-botting AIs) and commons created jams in several spots. Most often the doorway of the switch room. When your team is low on kits and already hurting these jams can be very deadly. I'm speaking from personal experience here, and as far as coop goes you have very little to rely on ;).

DC3 on Expert is long and tough. You're lucky if you arrive at the start of the event with any kits at all, and most of your team will probably be wounded. It's not like Versus, where you're racing across the map at every given opportunity and your healthkits will generously cover a lot of your mistakes. One clump of zombies and a rampaging SI on the event easily has the potential to create a total wipe, because Expert isn't nearly as forgiving as Versus is, especially in the damage compartment.

Coop is an equally important part of the game to a hell of a lot of people (including Valve), try to remember that.
Also, you don't get to start with 100 Health and a kit every round on coop.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
oooohhh man it's fun playing dead centre scavenge.

you reallllly have to watch out for that charger on the stairs, someone was waiting there each time, i managed to trick the guy then murder him 2 times while playing human, managed to get 2 of their team by doing the same trick except UP the stairs when 2 people were coming down.

vertopci

Botolf said:

You keep talking about these jams, yet I have never seen it using my strategy. I'm thinking we are talking about two different things here.

Sibylus

Banned
RocketDarkness said:
Also, you don't get to start with 100 Health and a kit every round on coop.

Even if you leave 3 people out to die, those three will start with half health at best.

vertopci said:
You keep talking about these jams, yet I have never seen it using my strategy. I'm thinking we are talking about two different things here.
Play more coop and you'll probably see them. One match with bots does not a comprehensive experience make.

Botolf said:

Even if you leave 3 people out to die, those three will start with half health at best.

Play more coop and you'll probably see them. One match with bots does not a comprehensive experience make.
It's possible you just didn't hold out long enough. We had a guy on the other team ask where the zombies were about 20 times after we did it. The number of zombies remaining after was just plain sad. I'm pretty sure there were 20 or less infected on the way from the glass breaking room to the alarm room and they were quite spread out. When we turned off the alarm, ZERO infected came out while normally they still keep on flowing for a while after you turn off the alarm.

Boonoo

They need to jack up infected spawn time during crescendo events. In Parish 2 the infected get maybe 2 attacks on the survivors if they're ready at the beginning. They should have at least 3 or 4.

Melee weapons also make it way too easy to just bum rush through a level. They need to either add a timer like they have with push or bump up the amount of horde.

Maybe vs. just need Frusmod back D:

vertopci

Boonoo said:
They need to jack up infected spawn time during crescendo events. In Parish 2 the infected get maybe 2 attacks on the survivors if they're ready at the beginning. They should have at least 3 or 4.

Melee weapons also make it way too easy to just bum rush through a level. They need to either add a timer like they have with push or bump up the amount of horde.

Maybe vs. just need Frusmod back D:

We are playing some Frusmod tonight. Join us!

Botolf said:

So I just did expert coop with Nabs, Stallion and one bot. The crescendo is easy as shit. Hell we even had a tank before the event. Also those small batches of zombies that show up were easily soloed.

The crescendos are broken and that is fact.

Sibylus

Banned
CrookedRain said:
It's possible you just didn't hold out long enough. We had a guy on the other team ask where the zombies were about 20 times after we did it. The number of zombies remaining after was just plain sad.
Unlikely, it was several minutes into the event, the jams would have involved the smaller blobs.

vertopci

Rubezh said:
Is the crawling a feature that just has to be turned on in the console? Also, is there a proper animation for it?

Yea, its just a cvar you turn on. In L4D1, there wasn't a proper animation, so I imagine it's teh same in L4D2 although I'm not 100% sure.

Botolf said:
Unlikely, it was several minutes into the event, the jams would have involved the smaller blobs.

There are no jams. I don't get why you keep bringing up these jams :/

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
wayward archer said:
Yeah it's 10.

Tank = 24
Charger = 10
Hunter = 6

An even better part about the charger's swipe is that he's immune to melee, so people who don't realize that will melee once or twice and you get more attacks in. Also the best thing ever just annoying people in Scavenger with that, forcing them to drop the can.

Papercuts said:
An even better part about the charger's swipe is that he's immune to melee, so people who don't realize that will melee once or twice and you get more attacks in. Also the best thing ever just annoying people in Scavenger with that, forcing them to drop the can.

Yep, in overtime if you have 1 on 1 vs a charger, there's literally nothing the survivor can do against the charger swipe. :lol

They have to drop the can or get incapped, either way you win.

Sibylus

Banned
Hey Scarlet, I'm up for another bout of Dark Carnival coop if you haven't survived on it yet.

vertopci said:
There are no jams. I don't get why you keep bringing up these jams :/
I'm just going to stop discussing this if you're going to refuse to listen. Jams do happen occasionally, I've seen them, I've been caught up in the middle of them. You haven't seen it, fine. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen or cannot happen, good god, man. The play experience of others doesn't wholly revolve around Versus or what you experience.

vertopci said:
Yea, its just a cvar you turn on. In L4D1, there wasn't a proper animation, so I imagine it's teh same in L4D2 although I'm not 100% sure.
So the crawling animation I saw in L4D1 was a custom?

Papercuts

gregor7777 said:
Yep, in overtime if you have 1 on 1 vs a charger, there's literally nothing the survivor can do against the charger swipe. :lol

They have to drop the can or get incapped, either way you win.

Yup. A lot of people also just drop it on reaction to that and lose the game without realizing.

One of my favorite moments so far was getting the team to lose overtime while 2 of them had cans. I kept swiping the person pouring, then they stopped, backed up and tossed the can down to shoot me, then I charged the other guy holding a can before the other one picked it back up. :lol

Volcynika

Botolf said:
Hey Scarlet, I'm up for another bout of Dark Carnival coop if you haven't survived on it yet.

I'm just going to stop discussing this if you're going to refuse to listen. Jams do happen occasionally, I've seen them, I've been caught up in the middle of them. You haven't seen it, fine. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen or cannot happen, good god, man. The play experience of others doesn't wholly revolve around Versus or what you experience.

Don't argue with Vert, he's a nub. And you're Protolf!

xero273

Revolutionary said:

I've only seen the crawling once in L4D1 so I could be wrong, but the crawling in L4D1 is you see the survivor downed and all of sudden they start moving. No movement of arms at all.

vertopci

Revolutionary said:

I don't know, maybe I'm wrong about the animation. But from what I recall, it looked like the survivors were gliding on the floor while their legs twitched in weird ways. Maybe I'm wrong, it's been a while since I played on a crawling server.

Botolf said:

Try it yourself sometime, it's extremely strange how viable camping is in these crescendo. When they walked out (5 minutes after camping) there were nearly no zombies around.

xero273 said:
I've only seen the crawling once in L4D1 so I could be wrong, but the crawling in L4D1 is you see the survivor downed and all of sudden they start moving. No movement of arms at all.
Nah, I remember seeing an actual animation to it... where the survivor would be moving his/her arms to push against the floor and such.

However, I thought it was on by default (in the vanilla game). :lol I was shocked to find out I couldn't crawl in L4D2... I guess it really was a custom.

vertopci

PillowKnight said:
Try it yourself sometime, it's extremely strange how viable camping is in these crescendo. When they walked out (5 minutes after camping) there were nearly no zombies around.

Wasn't even 5 minutes. At most it was like 3.5 minutes. Although we did wait in there for another minute or so in the hopes we could bait out the SI so it's more around 2.5. Around teh same time as an event in L4D1 :lol

I really hope they fix this problem :/

pulga

Banned
Excuse my ignorance people, but is it possible to play this local co-op with a friend but at the same time play with another friend over Live (making it a party of 3 or 4)?

vertopci

Botolf said:

Yea, a jam if you rush when you activate the alarm which is not what I'm talking about.

If you camp out the initial 2 or 3 horde spawns, there are practically no zombies AT ALL and no jams AT ALL. And even if there do happen to be some kind of jam, it's not that hard to clear them out since you dont have zombie coming from multiple directions anymore.

feel

pulga said:
Excuse my ignorance people, but is it possible to play this local co-op with a friend but at the same time play with another friend over Live (making it a party of 3 or 4)?
Yes sir.

xero273

pulga said:

yea, at the start screen you need to activate splitscreen. Then you can have your friend and you join any online match.

pulga said:
Yes, the game allows two-player co-op on the same console and you can play with two other friends over LIVE.

Tenks

Papercuts said:

I've seen you say that a few times now and I have no clue what you're talking about. Are you referring to melee shoves? The charger can certainly be killed by a melee weapon -- hell there's even a achievement to do it while he's charging.

Papercuts

Tenks said:
I've seen you say that a few times now and I have no clue what you're talking about. Are you referring to melee shoves? The charger can certainly be killed by a melee weapon -- hell there's even a achievement to do it while he's charging.

Yeah, I mean the melee shoves. As anyone else(hunter, jockey, etc) you can always get put in a stun loop by the shove until you die, but the charger is completely immune to it.

Red Scarlet

Tenks said:

Right, you can't right click melee shove a Charger. I think on my second scavenge game I got overtime to end as a Boomer..I chased down the coach player that had it, and kept swiping him, and he couldn't get away from me since he was red..and he melee'd me enough so I exploded which made him drop the can. :lol

vertopci said:
Yea, a jam if you rush when you activate the alarm which is not what I'm talking about.

If you camp out the initial 2 or 3 horde spawns, there are practically no zombies AT ALL and no jams AT ALL. And even if there do happen to be some kind of jam, it's not that hard to clear them out since you dont have zombie coming from multiple directions anymore.
Weren't these running crescendos designed so that you RUN OUT and accomplish the goal before getting wiped? Waiting around and camping it until the zombie numbers are dwindled is just lame... especially so if you do it in Versus. Might as well just play the first game.
I realize and understand it's a viable tactic, but where's the challenge? The fun?
Granted, they should have had worked on the director (keep the zombies + SI coming!!) so that people can't exploit the crescendos in this way, but alas...

Tenks

Gotya, cleared it up. Though I guess the whole "Hope they don't understand game mechanics" strategy can only last so long :p

Top Bottom