• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Tenks said:
Gotya, cleared it up. Though I guess the whole "Hope they don't understand game mechanics" strategy can only last so long :p

To an extent, but the charger's melee will always be a vital asset in Scavenger mode!

vertopci

Revolutionary said:
Weren't these running crescendos designed so that you RUN OUT and accomplish the goal before getting wiped? Waiting around and camping it until the zombie numbers are dwindled is just lame... especially so if you do it in Versus. Might as well just play the first game.
I realize and understand it's a viable tactic, but where's the challenge? The fun?
Granted, they should have had worked on the director (keep the zombies + SI coming!!) so that people can't exploit the crescendos in this way, but alas...

Yea that's how they are supposed to work in theory. But Valve fucked it up somehow and it turns out it's basically the same as the events in L4D1. Only reason I mentioned it here is so more people find out which in turn results to more people using it which in turn results in Valve "fixing" it.

I like L4D1 far more than L4D2. However, the new style of events were one of the few things I liked better in L4D2. And then I found out they are pretty much the same which kinda pisses me off. :/

vertopci said:
Yea that's how they are supposed to work in theory. But Valve fucked it up somehow and it turns out it's basically the same as the events in L4D1. Only reason I mentioned it here is so more people find out which in turn results to more people using it which in turn results in Valve "fixing" it.

I like L4D1 far more than L4D2. However, the new style of events were one of the few things I liked better in L4D2. And then I found out they are pretty much the same which kinda pisses me off. :/
I see. I honestly didn't know it worked that way, either... which is pretty damn lame.
Well, I do hope Valve has taken notice and plans to work on the director a bit for that situation (shorter spawn times for SI? more hordes!!!).

Fireye

IMO there should be a respawn timer tied to progress in the map. Versus quite clearly tracks progress, why not implement something like a hidden "shot clock" counter that says if you don't make more progress within 90 seconds, zombies will begin respawning. Not necessarily attacking you, but re-appearing on the map so crescendo's don't wipe the entire map clean.

1-D_FTW

TheOneGuy said:
I think they should make it so the longer you wait the harder it gets.

O:

That's a damn good idea. Not only increase zombie hordes, but increase the SI rate and throw tanks in at regular intervals.

The problem probably is this: The game sells to millions of people. Most of whom probably aren't of the greatest skill level and don't spend a ton of hours each week playing. That may have been Valve's way of giving those people an out and still be able to finish the level.

It's understandable logic. Why would skilled players wouldn't wanna ruin the fun of the game by exploiting this?

Twig

Banned
Well, yeah, that did occur to me.

However, that's what lower difficulties are for!

Unless you're that one guy who couldn't even beat it on easy with bots. You're the guy Valve just laughs at.

I was one of those playing against Verto when they cheesed the DC crescendo and it was indeed a low-zombie-count bullshit-o-rama. Either Valve needs to fix it or admins need to kick teams for waiting them out.

vertopci

Metal Gear?! said:
I was one of those playing against Verto when they cheesed the DC crescendo and it was indeed a low-zombie-count bullshit-o-rama. Either Valve needs to fix it or admins need to kick teams for waiting them out.

You can't really kick them for waiting it out though. I mean this is exactly how L4D1 worked after all and you wouldn't kick them in L4D1 now would you?

It just needs fixed.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Fireye said:
IMO there should be a respawn timer tied to progress in the map. Versus quite clearly tracks progress, why not implement something like a hidden "shot clock" counter that says if you don't make more progress within 90 seconds, zombies will begin respawning. Not necessarily attacking you, but re-appearing on the map so crescendo's don't wipe the entire map clean.

That's supposed to be the directors job: noticing the pace of your progress and sending zombies after you depending on how slow/fast you are going.

Botolf said:
Hey Scarlet, I'm up for another bout of Dark Carnival coop if you haven't survived on it yet.
I'll probably be online by 8:45 PST, if you need someone. I can probably give a good 3 or 4 hours to the cause.

vertopci

Rez said:
or you can just play the game properly?

Objective is to win the game. So your saying that using legit strategies that help you win the game without using cheats or glitches is considered not playing properly? Your logic sucks.

Aside from that, in competitive games, you gotta use all the things possible to win. Hell even the GAF vs games, which are just semi-competitive, slowly turned towards using spots we all used to consider "cheap". Just the way the game evolves.

Just found the tree house with the shot gun and adrenaline in scavenge mode. Fuck yeah hiding up there and not playing scavenge is a fun time.

Red Scarlet

In tournaments, it was legal to bunch up in a spot, but frowned upon, wonder how it will go in 2 with the events that end. Who knows, maybe they'll make some mod that makes the tank spawn during the event horde.

WEGGLES

Oh balls.

Why oh why oh why oh why won't the AI players pick up health kits?

There are 2 sitting on a table.

PICK THEM UPPPPPPPPPPPPP >:[

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
vertopci said:
Objective is to win the game. So your saying that using legit strategies that help you win the game without using cheats or glitches is considered not playing properly? Your logic sucks.
yes, that is what I'm saying. I'm saying you're willingly exploiting the system and, as a result, not having fun, which is -- in reality -- the objective of the game. So yeah, there's something ironic about someone in your position having the cheek to turn around call someone else's logic flawed.

TheOneGuy said:
I think they should make it so the longer you wait the harder it gets.

O:
I agree with this. Anything that makes the game harder without feeling cheap is good in my book. Thats why I'm digging L4D2 so far. We usually played Advanced for fun and Expert when we had a death wish. Now we're working through Normal :)

Thats fine by me.

vertopci

Rez said:
yes, that is what I'm saying. I'm saying you're willingly exploiting the system and, as a result, not having fun, which is -- in reality -- the objective of the game. So yeah, there's something ironic about someone in your position having the cheek to turn around call someone else's logic flawed.

Not really an exploit if you ask me. More like valve just failing at the events.

And you didn't read my second sentence. Some people have fun playing competitively. Claerly you don't.

Either way, once this gets out, every noob will be using it, which is why just playing properly isn't going to do shit. Valve themselves will have to fix it.

Red Scarlet

Have all events been tested to end without turning off the alarm? I know all of Swamp Fever's events will end, but other than that, I haven't tested many.

my serious video game playing... ruined....
a14kgn.jpg
a14kgn.jpg
a14kgn.jpg
33bmqon.jpg
a14kgn.jpg
a14kgn.jpg
a14kgn.jpg

Hey guys i've just got the asian copy of the game from play-asia (i'm in australia) and when I try and find any campaign games online it says there are none. I highly doubt noone is playing this game at the moment so i'm wondering if there is a problem with me having bought the uncut version and playing from australia.

I like creating my own lobby and having other peepz join but noone is appearing. I don't have any problems with any other xbox live games and I did try quickmatch and joined a game with one other guy but i'm wondering if this is cuz maybe he had an uncut version too. So i'm thinking maybe i can only see peepz playing on aussie servers with uncut versions of the game? Surely this can't be right. Any ideas?

Red Scarlet

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay finally.
c2m5_concert0001.jpg

You might be screwed on the 360 version in Australia. One guy I play with has to use some hacked version in order to play with me in the US on the computar.

Red Scarlet said:
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay finally.
c2m5_concert0001.jpg

You might be screwed on the 360 version in Australia. One guy I play with has to use some hacked version in order to play with me in the US on the computar.
That run was as smooth as silk. Only one or two wipes, maybe? First try on the coaster and the stadium entrance run.

I have added some of you on Steam but we haven't played together yet. How do I get to play with you guys? I also see a group channel where it sorts through games once in a while but I don't know how to see that all the time.

I would like to get some decent versus games :D (however, I don't have a mic yet =/)

Flynn

GJ, Red Scarlet. Me and some buddies finally got the Guardin' Gnome achievement tonight -- and the awesome pink Depeche Mode t-shirt as an avatar reward. We had to restart all the major events more than a few times. Yeah, we're kinda noobish, but we had buttloads of fun.

kay

WEGGLES said:
Oh balls.

Why oh why oh why oh why won't the AI players pick up health kits?

There are 2 sitting on a table.

PICK THEM UPPPPPPPPPPPPP >:[
Leave the safe room and they will always take the extra ones. They don't take them before you leave just in case you want to use them. The bots have gotten smarter about picking up stuff, they don't wait 5 seconds after everyone stops shooting like in the first game. Unfortunately, they still like to waste health on themselves.

Sibylus

Banned
Woo yeah! That was a stellar campaign. We had to be careful not to fill the car fully if someone was incapacitated, we wiped once on the finale because of that, and I came within a quarter of a second of completing the last fill, but two of us were incapped in that frame of time. Was a close call but I stopped in time, helped one of them up, and all four of us made it.

Red Scarlet said:
I still can't tell if I incapped Striker and RD, or just Striker..the "character is inside you FF" is a lot more common in 2.
I'm pretty sure I went down of my own accord, I recall trying to go for a med kit before it happened.

Red Scarlet said:
the "character is inside you FF" is a lot more common in 2.
I was watching some demos I'd recorded the other day, specifically a moment when I incapped Rochelle with my shotgun as she ran through me. Taking a careful look at the offending frame, her character model wasn't in front of my gun, but part of her torso was intersecting the barrel. So, it's almost as if Valve calculates damage right from the moment the round is fired in the chamber, instead of when it leaves the barrel.

xero273

Prototype-03 said:
I have added some of you on Steam but we haven't played together yet. How do I get to play with you guys? I also see a group channel where it sorts through games once in a while but I don't know how to see that all the time.

I would like to get some decent versus games :D (however, I don't have a mic yet =/)

Just msg me if you see me online. I have to warn you though, I am not that good at versus or campaign :lol

gkryhewy

Any tips on beating the concert finale? Tried like 4 times on 360 last night (2 human, 2 AI), and got wiped out just after the chopper appeared each time :lol

Playing on normal difficulty... maybe just need to switch to easy.

gkrykewy said:
Any tips on beating the concert finale? Tried like 4 times on 360 last night (2 human, 2 AI), and got wiped out just after the chopper appeared each time :lol

I did it on Normal, twice actually. Just stay on the stage as much as humanly possible and then book it when the copter comes. Each time, though, everyone else died and I had like +11. Just look for your opportunity to feed your friends to the tank and run.

;D

(Note: You shouldn't actually actively feed your teammates to angry hulking zombies. But I haven't figured a way to really "beat" the scenario, I've only survived it by blind luck.)

gkrykewy said:

Defending the corner directly above the opening you enter through is rather easy. You can turtle up there in a L4D1 style. After you've killed the 1st tank, pick up two pipe bombs or boomer biles and save them for the chopper run. When you kill the 2nd tank, try to stay down near the stage for a few moments, it'll draw the 3rd tank away from its initial spawn point near the chopper. Throw your pipes/bile and make a run for it, behind the tank, hopefully he'll go for the slower/dimwit/Idon'twanttolive AI.

Good luck!

Tim-E

gkrykewy said:

My friends and I are able to get through it on advanced realism by sticking to the stage primarily and only leaving it for health/ammo whenever necessary.

gkryhewy

Thanks for the emotional support, guys :lol

marvelharvey said:
Defending the corner directly above the opening you enter through is rather easy. You can turtle up there in a L4D1 style.

So wait, you're advocating turtling in the corner and NOT fighting from the stage?

Tim-E said:
My friends and I are able to get through it on advanced realism by sticking to the stage primarily and only leaving it for health/ammo whenever necessary.

Yeah, that's what we tried to do every time - even positioned the fireworks and gas canisters strategically to booby trap the surges. But I haven't even been able to get off the stage towards the chopper before being destroyed by a tank, etc.

DarkKyo

Still really wanna know how to make demos so I can record them. If anyone could help me out or point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

gkrykewy said:
So wait, you're advocating turtling in the corner and NOT fighting from the stage?
The stage is more fun, no question, but the seating section is the place to be if you're struggling. You only have to defend a 90º arc and you can see the SI coming a mile away. Hazards: Hunter pounce from roof or spit from just behind you.

xero273

Dechaios said:
Still really wanna know how to make demos so I can record them. If anyone could help me out or point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

the command in the console is "record demoname". demoname can be whatever you want it to be. It'll save the demo in your default L4D2 folder. So if you want to watch your recordings, you need to type "playdemo demoname". Left 4 dead 2 recording can only be view using this method. Once a new update comes out, you can no longer view the recording. So you are going to have to use an alternate method to convert the .dem file to avi. I use fraps to record the demo while I am watching it. If you use fraps to convert, the files will be really big so use virtualdub to compress. I hope this helps.

Top Bottom